IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no way of knowing this, obviously, but I feel both girls were walked in there. I'm thinking that at this point, they were still oblivious to the danger they were in. JMO

I agree with this, I'm disturbed from here as to my thought process. If it was not a sexually motivated crime, I can't help but worry that he let the girls out and told them to run. Once they were out a ways he shot them. He may not have left any DNA or trace of any kind where the bodies were found if he shot them from where he parked. :(

Am sitting outside the memorial service unable to go in, but will say a prayer and go home and love on my kids. Rest in peace beautiful child. :( :(

I hear ya. I didn't even attempt to go. I would feel odd, since I don't know them personally. But even odder would be that id cry my eyes outmoded. Heard there was a beautiful sunset!!!

ITA, here in PA with farms, guys shoot on their farms..........groundhogs and unwanted pests....and some shoot their own animals (esp. sick or hurt ones).........all farms around ignor gunshots.
Right now I live in the middle of horse farms.
Even before deer season, we would hear what I call target hunting.
On my son's farm, his sons do clay pigeon target practise.
2 shots during the day would never be thought of as bad.

BUT do we even know if the little girls were shot???
is this just speculation???

It is just speculation that the girls may have been shot.

I read recently that over 70% of the population of the US lives in a metropolitan area. I often feel a little confused on urban cases because what's normal in urbia or suburbia is just not normal out here 30 miles north of the middle of nowhere.

As you said, I just ignore gunshots out here. I suppose if I lived in town, hearing a gunshot would be cause to call 911.

It's a very different way of life.

ITA, here in PA with farms, guys shoot on their farms..........groundhogs and unwanted pests....and some shoot their own animals (esp. sick or hurt ones).........all farms around ignor gunshots.
Right now I live in the middle of horse farms.
Even before deer season, we would hear what I call target hunting.
On my son's farm, his sons do clay pigeon target practise.
2 shots during the day would never be thought of as bad.

BUT do we even know if the little girls were shot???
is this just speculation???

BBM

Just speculation. We don't know COD, but shooting is certainly one option.

It is just speculation that the girls may have been shot.

I read recently that over 70% of the population of the US lives in a metropolitan area. I often feel a little confused on urban cases because what's normal in urbia or suburbia is just not normal out here 30 miles north of the middle of nowhere.

As you said, I just ignore gunshots out here. I suppose if I lived in town, hearing a gunshot would be cause to call 911.

It's a very different way of life.

I do live in town, and whenever I hear anything, especially in July, I have always assumed it was illegal fireworks.

Graphic but.. if they were murdered where they were found then would it be possible to detect blood in the soil after this amount of time?

I'm bumping this post up because I feel it was a good question, and one I don't know the answer to. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.

Not necessarily.

Iowa is a state that has a lot of hunters, very enthusiastic hunters. Long about July, that's when the good hunters start doing some target practise to get ready for when hunting seasons open starting the middle of September.

Hunters that don't do a lot of target practise don't bring home meat. They pay a lot for those licenses and tags, so they are invested in taking the time and effort to succeed.

With all the trees in the area, the sounds of gunshots would get bounced around and muffled quite quickly.

I know that if I heard two muffled gunshots on a July afternoon and then no more, I'd figure that the wind may have carried the other sounds away from me. I wouldn't be concerned or alarmed.

ETA: the other thing I would assume is that someone was shooting a stray dog. Iowa is farming country and if a farmer sees a dog harassing their stock (not even inside the fence with the stock), it is perfectly legal to shoot the dog. In fact, that is what deputies will tell rural people who are being harassed by loose dogs.

In Iowa, we have a saying: "shoot, shovel and shut up." Meaning to shoot a stray dog, bury it on the back 40 and don't tell anyone.

I had to check with my husband as to when squirrel season was, as that was my first thought. Not in July., he says. My other thought, too, was target practice, as we (well not ME) do that on occasion in the summer at our farm, actually not too far from 7 bridges. So I don't think the landowners around would have called 911or anything, but they might have made a mental note of it.

I'm bumping this post up because I feel it was a good question, and one I don't know the answer to. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.

Re blood in the soil -

As there's been a drought, maybe...especially if the girls were covered over by foliage.

They should definitely be able to detect any splatter on protected areas like the underside of grass and leaves, crannies in logs etc.

I had to check with my husband as to when squirrel season was, as that was my first thought. Not in July., he says. My other thought, too, was target practice, as we (well not ME) do that on occasion in the summer at our farm, actually not too far from 7 bridges. So I don't think the landowners around would have called 911or anything, but they might have made a mental note of it.

Remember it was speculated that the girls drowned in the lake. People might not have been concerned about gun shots on the 13th or even noted them. They may have heard gunshots and by the time the lake was drained and the girls declared missing, completely forgot about them or not been able to pin down a date.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/20339158/2012/12/13/family-of-lyric-cook-planning-memorial-services

Lyric's grandmother, Wylma, tells KWWL they plan to have Lyric cremated. A family member in Dubuque has arranged a special urn to be made for her by a local monastery.
If you're interested, you can read more about the local monastery here:

http://www.trappistcaskets.com/

I'm assuming it's New Melleray, since the monks there have a casket and urn business. They do excellent work.

Unfortunately, some people will try to turn any situation to their advantage. And for pro-death-penalty politicians, what better way to push their agenda than to use the deaths of two little girls.

I find it reprehensible.

ETA: And I would find it surprising if Drew and Heather Collins come out in favor of the death penalty. JMO. The Governor may be meeting with them to get their feelings on the subject. I don't see this meeting as any indication that Drew and Heather are proponents of the death penalty. Again, JMO

We have the death penalty here in SD and we don't have the crimes that other states have. We just executed one that raped an 8 year old 22 years ago and while he was raping the poor little thing he was stabbing her at the same time. Maybe it will take harsher laws being implemented to get this people to think twice about what their doing.

As a community member, I have to say that Drew & Heather, in my opionion, have really set the tone in the area. Its so uplifting to have them be positive and forgiving. It really sets as example for our kids. I appreciate their willingness to be open and honest, and in sharing their beautiful daughter with us. We have every reason to be fearful and bitter, but their actions make us stop and think of what fear and bitterness can do to your soul. When Heather said that they feel they have a bigger purpose (paraphrasing), she is totally right because shes doing it right now. Peace be with them.

Remember it was speculated that the girls drowned in the lake. People might not have been concerned about gun shots on the 13th or even noted them. They may have heard gunshots and by the time the lake was drained and the girls declared missing, completely forgot about them or not been able to pin down a date.

But this would be near 7 bridges, not Meyers lake. People would remember shots fired around Meyers lake.

If it's rained since then, highly doubtful. Large amounts, say, underneath remains, possible, unless there is also a high level of decomp. They most likely took appropriate soil samples to be processed in the lab, if such a manner of death resulting in blood loss was indicated.

I did read that the investigators were at Seven Bridges 24 hours around the clock, processing the scene, for three days. Lots can be accomplished.

Am sitting outside the memorial service unable to go in, but will say a prayer and go home and love on my kids. Rest in peace beautiful child. :( :(

Please keep us posted if you dont mind. God bless.

We have the death penalty here in SD and we don't have the crimes that other states have. We just executed one that raped an 8 year old 22 years ago and while he was raping the poor little thing he was stabbing her at the same time. Maybe it will take harsher laws being implemented to get this people to think twice about what their doing.

I'm originally from Texas, so I know there are a lot of people who are for the death penalty.

But if someone is going to do something as terrible as abducting, possibly assaulting, and then killing two little girls, would having the death penalty in Iowa have made any difference? Would he/she/they have thought twice? If the girls were abducted by a pedophile, I doubt he would have controlled his urges and said, wait, I can't do this, if I got caught I could get the death penalty.

Perhaps there are some statistics that prove me wrong, but I fail to see how having the death penalty decreases serious crimes. JMO

I won't bore everyone with a blow by blow of the Livestream, but in case anyone can't watch it and would like a few highlights from the "visiting" portion that's on right now.

- The sunset as people were arriving was apparently pink and purple. (I know this is a repeat, just wanted to keep it w/the other highlights).

- This is a "mega church" and the line to hug Drew and Heather is down a very long hall the way and all the way out the door into the parking lot. Funeral director told the reporter that this is unusual and the reporter added "but not surprising."

- Sorry this one's kinda morbid but relating to the discussions we had earlier, the reporter said that the girls were "killed within a few hours" of their abduction on Friday the 13th. It sounded like he was practicing for an upcoming news segment maybe. No further specifics on how/where he got this info.

- Many girls that look around the ages of 'our girls' are there. I've seen a couple of them hugging Heather and clinging to her like they didn't want to let go.

- There was a couple near Heather and Drew for the past hour or so, mostly standing next to or behind them. I don't know who they are, but they have a young baby. I'm not good at guessing baby ages but I wouldn't doubt this baby might've been a newborn or not even born yet when the girls disappeared. It's a startling contrast to see the sadness in peoples eyes, strain on Drew and Heather's faces, smiles behind tears, then see this absolutely adorable baby smiling and laughing. I find myself wondering if Elizabeth knew/met him or her. I'm not normally one to read a lot into these things, but I swear a little bit of Elizabeth's spirit and love for life is in that baby's laugh.

- According to the reporter, Aunt Tammy is there, Misty and Wylma are expected later.

- I haven't been able to get a good look at one yet, but read earlier that special "They Are Home" shirts have been made.

This is from another article/area, http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale_search/stories/ but found a pic I hadn't seen before and thought this was a fitting time to share it:

50c8a3ed2cf0b.image.jpg

Must respond! GREAT REPORT! BRILLIANT!

Re blood in the soil -

As there's been a drought, maybe...especially if the girls were covered over by foliage.

They should definitely be able to detect any splatter on protected areas like the underside of grass and leaves, crannies in logs etc.

I'm lost. Who's blood in the soil are we hoping to find? If it is the girls, how would this help identify the killer? I know I am missing something obvious.

The lack of crime has more to do with South Dakota's low population, the fact that you have only two cities with a population over 50k....not because SD has the death penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostlyDarling