IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On second thought, I have no idea if this could have maybe even been done on a friend of Lyric's computer. Maybe Lyriic was sleeping over at a girlfriend's home and the girls decided to have a little fun. I think girls are bolder (and a bit more ornery) when they are together as opposed to alone.

I have to keep an eye on my daughter's computer activity pretty closely. She is the exact same age as Lyric (born in October of 2001) so she isn't supposed to even have social media accounts, but I caved in and let her as long as I am always kept as a "friend" and have her password. She will click on anything and every so often I have to go in and clean things up and deauthorize FB apps.

FB has made it very easy to create accounts with other providers because they have what is called Facebook Connect, which is a part of their Social Plugin arsenal. Service providers that extend their functionality into Facebook simply have to prompt the user to authorize the app for various functions; such as, post to wall, access friends list, access personal information, etc.... Through Facebook Connect, the service providers can even have a user login via Facebook on their own site outside of Facebook.

Since most people stay logged into Facebook when they step away from the computer (especially kids), it is very easy for anyone to use the computer and create an account with a service provider. I wouldn't doubt that Misty created the Zoosk profile simply by using a computer Lyric was already logged into.

ps: I am an "expert" on anything and everything related to web - but I am not a "verified expert" so take anything I say as opinion.

I have to keep an eye on my daughter's computer activity pretty closely. She is the exact same age as Lyric (born in October of 2001) so she isn't supposed to even have social media accounts, but I caved in and let her as long as I am always kept as a "friend" and have her password. She will click on anything and every so often I have to go in and clean things up and deauthorize FB apps.

FB has made it very easy to create accounts with other providers because they have what is called Facebook Connect, which is a part of their Social Plugin arsenal. Service providers that extend their functionality into Facebook simply have to prompt the user to authorize the app for various functions; such as, post to wall, access friends list, access personal information, etc.... Through Facebook Connect, the service providers can even have a user login via Facebook on their own site outside of Facebook.

Since most people stay logged into Facebook when they step away from the computer (especially kids), it is very easy for anyone to use the computer and create an account with a service provider. I wouldn't doubt that Misty created the Zoosk profile simply by using a computer Lyric was already logged into.

ps: I am an "expert" on anything and everything related to web - but I am not a "verified expert" so take anything I say as opinion.

I think that may be possible. I had thought that myself. But I seem to recall a few of the details were wrong, suggesting Lyric had done it. I will go back and re-read all of the discussion about it. Excellent point!

I think that may be possible. I had thought that myself. But I seem to recall a few of the details were wrong, suggesting Lyric had done it. I will go back and re-read all of the discussion about it. Excellent point!

You are also correct about the fact that girls do crazy things when they are together. My daughter will post stupid pictures of her and her friends during sleep overs at 2am using her iPhone or iPad and I have to respond to her posts and tell her to go to bed. Kids (at least mine) are all over the web, which is scary. At least I know how to monitor and track them, but most parents are not as skilled on the web as their kids are and have no clue what they are getting into.

Prag, you post makes me question what could be on Tammy's girl's computer. Did Lyric (and Misty) spend the night there often and her and K explore the net, etc? Would a judge allow a search warrant for their computers as well?

This is an EXCELLENT question!!

Does anyone know where I can find a transcript or link to Abben's July 24th presser?

Let's suppose that Lyric had some sort of social media contact with the murderer. This question was raised the day that the children vanished. Since then, we have learned that police collected all the computers that Lyric may have used. We know that they are aware of the social media page that is referenced here ... that is, if we found it, trained investigators found it first.

Lyric had a cell phone, and most children use their phones and computers to keep tabs on social media. They don't simply create a social media webpage at a friends house and then only use it at a friend's house. If they intend to use it, they use it often - daily.

If there was any sort of computer trail, police would know about it, and they would have made an arrest months ago.

Prag, you post makes me question what could be on Tammy's girl's computer. Did Lyric (and Misty) spend the night there often and her and K explore the net, etc? Would a judge allow a search warrant for their computers as well?

A search warrant would not be granted to snoop through the computers of extended families of victims of crime. Even if police did not collect computers belonging to all the siblings of the missing children's moms, we can be 100% certain that if Tammy had any knowledge of Lyric having online contact with a complete stranger, police would know and police would have followed up. Since police have not made an arrest, I think we can conclude that there is no computer trail connecting the missing children with the murderer.

Obviously the siblings of the Misty and Heather are more eager to see an arrest than we are.

What would a robberty suspect breaking out of the Black Hawk County Jail in Waterloo on Thursday have to do with the abduction of Lyric and Elizabeth in Evansdale on Friday? He was back in custody on Friday morning.

I think he was too busy being on the run, stealing cars and possibly holding up a pharmacy to snatch Lyric and Lizzie:

In the hours that followed, Mask allegedly stole two cars and two trucks. He is also being looked at as a suspect in the holdup of Medicap Pharmacy in Toledo.

His flight came to an end Friday followed a high-speed chase that wound through southern Black Hawk and Tama counties.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...cle_c0c1c09a-cc68-11e1-902e-001a4bcf887a.html

I think he was too busy being on the run, stealing cars and possibly holding up a pharmacy to snatch Lyric and Lizzie:

In the hours that followed, Mask allegedly stole two cars and two trucks. He is also being looked at as a suspect in the holdup of Medicap Pharmacy in Toledo.

His flight came to an end Friday followed a high-speed chase that wound through southern Black Hawk and Tama counties.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...cle_c0c1c09a-cc68-11e1-902e-001a4bcf887a.html

There are other "rumored" connections with this, but as to not violate :tos: they can't be discussed without backup via MSM. :sigh:

Let's suppose that Lyric had some sort of social media contact with the murderer. This question was raised the day that the children vanished. Since then, we have learned that police collected all the computers that Lyric may have used. We know that they are aware of the social media page that is referenced here ... that is, if we found it, trained investigators found it first.

Lyric had a cell phone, and most children use their phones and computers to keep tabs on social media. They don't simply create a social media webpage at a friends house and then only use it at a friend's house. If they intend to use it, they use it often - daily.

If there was any sort of computer trail, police would know about it, and they would have made an arrest months ago.

I'm not saying she created her FB page at a friend's house. I was referring to the Zoosk page. The one she may or may not have created to find a date for her mom. I cannot see her needing to use a dating site account often.

I'm not saying she created her FB page at a friend's house. I was referring to the Zoosk page. The one she may or may not have created to find a date for her mom. I cannot see her needing to use a dating site account often.

Who knows the history of the account ... anyone could have created it. What we do know is that there is no connection between the murders and social media or dating websites.

How do we know that? I know they took Dillin's computer, and a computer from Wylma's house. But how do we know they took ALL the computers she may have used? The question was, did they take Tammy's, where Lyric spent a lot of time with her 2 cousins. I don't ever remember reading that they took that computer.

ETA -- In fact, I'm almost positive they DIDN'T take computers from Tammy's house, since a creeper was communicating with Tammy's daughter over Facebook in Late July and she called the police.

There are other "rumored" connections with this, but as to not violate :tos: they can't be discussed without backup via MSM. :sigh:

I think I am getting confused over what we were discussing. I thought the topic was whether this guy could have abducted the girls.

I think I misunderstood the topic of discussion.:blushing:

BBM-that is your opinion stated as fact. Not all children are slaves to social media. My son has had his FB and twitter accounts for four years and he's used them maybe a dozen times.

The truth is, we don't KNOW much for sure. And I don't purport to KNOW things as fact. I am theorizing. As we ALL are at this point. My opinions and ideas are no less valid than anyone else's.

Who knows the history of the account ... anyone could have created it. What we do know is that there is no connection between the murders and social media or dating websites.

I agree with you in the fact that I don't think there is a connection, but I can't say that we "know" that.

Since it has been discussed a little today, I'll clarify a few things.

First, this is Lyric's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/lyric.morrissey

The photo is Selena Gomez, a TV star. That is not Lyric.

In July 2011, someone using Lyric's FB signed up for a dating site called Zoosk. It appears in her Facebook wall timeline. I created a Zoosk account yesterday and went looking for Lyric. You can search by area. I found an account under Lyric's mother's name. The profile photo for the account is the same pic of Selena Gomez.

The profile lists the age for her mother as 34. It also shows that she is separated, drinks and smokes socially and is looking for a man.

The site allows you to send messages, chat, browse photos of users, etc. It even will send you alerts when someone checks your profile. It actually shows you who was checking, too. It also shows you which users are logged in and using the site. I was surprised that so many men seemed to be sitting on their computers using the site.

To browse for men in the area, I changed my Zoosk profile to a woman looking for a man. There were a lot of creepy-looking individuals within 5 miles of the Evansdale/Waterloo area. Five of them clicked on my profile.

I was very tired yesterday. So I made a few small errors when I first reported this information here. Fortunately, the wife let me sleep in til 10 a.m. today! One of the errors was that I initially said it was Lyric's account. That seems to be only half correct. It is actually under her mother's name, but I think that all of the info points to Lyric creating it herself. I also initially said that the age on the profile was 37. It is actually 34.

It has been discussed before. But I'll rehash. Some believe that Lyric was attempting to pick out a man for her mother or was trying to set up her mother for a date. There was nothing on her profile, though, to suggest that she had been an active user. I believe it showed that she received a digital rose from someone. I wasn't able to see who sent it.

My intuition tells me that the site itself probably has nothing to do with the disappearance of the two girls. But I wouldn't rule it out completely. Certainly, there are some creepy men on there. It certainly creates a means of communication between Lyric and potential RSOs in the area. It's also possible that it is only one of several sites that Lyric visited.

The above was posted by HeinekenMan in July. If true, it would seem to suggest that Lyric was somewhat knowledgeable with respect to social media/creating accounts. LE took family computers and I would assume anything untoward would have been discovered by LE. But...who knows? Just throwing this out there in response to Jenandemmie's post.

Quoting myself on the original post I made with respect to the social media account. Check out the section I bolded.

I think I am getting confused over what we were discussing. I thought the topic was whether this guy could have abducted the girls.

I think I misunderstood the topic of discussion.:blushing:

No worries...I think I was the one confused. Pretty typical for me anymore with this case.:floorlaugh:

The reality is opposite of your assumptions. In reality people create accounts all the time and sometimes never return to them. This is especially true for sites and apps that leverage Facebook's Social Plugins that allow them to create an account without filling out a new form at all.

•30% of active fans reengage with fan pages. That means 70% of fans post once to a brand page and never return.
•Only 9.6% of fans return to the same conversation on a fan page. 90.4% of active fans post once in a thread and never return to the conversation.

My son is the opposite of my daughter. She clicks on anything and everything and will sign up for stupid crap all the time. My son thinks social media is stupid and the girls on it are stupid. Two kids, same family, Dad works with Facebook for a living - totally different ways in how they use it.

All this said, I don't have any reason to believe that Lyric's social media usage is connected at all, but I couldn't let incorrect statements sit out there as if they were fact. I actually agree with your takeaway, just not how you got there.

The reality is opposite of your assumptions. In reality people create accounts all the time and sometimes never return to them. This is especially true for sites and apps that leverage Facebook's Social Plugins that allow them to create an account without filling out a new form at all.

•30% of active fans reengage with fan pages. That means 70% of fans post once to a brand page and never return.
•Only 9.6% of fans return to the same conversation on a fan page. 90.4% of active fans post once in a thread and never return to the conversation.

My son is the opposite of my daughter. She clicks on anything and everything and will sign up for stupid crap all the time. My son thinks social media is stupid and the girls on it are stupid. Two kids, same family, Dad works with Facebook for a living - totally different ways in how they use it.

All this said, I don't have any reason to believe that Lyric's social media usage is connected at all, but I couldn't let incorrect statements sit out there as if they were fact. I actually agree with your takeaway, just not how you got there.

LOL! That is my son too! He got very irritated with the duck face. I don't think social media is connected either. I just threw it out there based on someone else's post. I think the girls were familiar with the perp(s). And not through social media.

A search warrant would not be granted to snoop through the computers of extended families of victims of crime. Even if police did not collect computers belonging to all the siblings of the missing children's moms, we can be 100% certain that if Tammy had any knowledge of Lyric having online contact with a complete stranger, police would know and police would have followed up. Since police have not made an arrest, I think we can conclude that there is no computer trail connecting the missing children with the murderer.

Obviously the siblings of the Misty and Heather are more eager to see an arrest than we are.

I respectively disagree. I think it would depend whose computer IP it goes back to when the a/c was generated. If it showed as Tammy's or her daughter...or anyone who might have set it up to make it look like she may have been abducted by some perv, then I believe a warrant for THAT computer would be viable. Just because the a/c was set up on "someone's" computer doesn't prove they are the perps, but it would certainly cause alot of questions to be asked. Do we even know how much activity took place on it? How often visited? I agree that LE have the answers to the a/c, but to say it would lead to an immediate arrest is not in anyway absolute nor logical. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazPsi