IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether or not they want the killer found, and I'm sure they do, would have no bearing on the investigation. LE is still going to do their best to make a strong case and make an arrest. IMO the Collinses just don't want to know the gorey details, which would come out at trial, like it or not.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I agree, the parents wishes on that would have zero bearing on how LE investigates. My original query was regarding NWLady's post that indicated the parents did not want to know who killed their child. I was pointing out that the statement on which that assumption is based was made within days of the kidnapping and does not in any way indicate IMO that the parents of the girls do wish the killer(s) to be caught.

Yes, we still hear of more abduction attempts in Iowa: (link provides powerful story of dad tackling the guy, photo of alleged abductor)
http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...16938/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/tf1bvm/-/index.html

And there are more....

Jumping off your post:

From what I've read it's MUCH more common for abductions/attempts to happen during the summer. Simply because people (especially children) are outside more, and children especially may be less apt to be attended by a caretaker.

Kids are more likely to be out riding bikes...playing at a park (even with friends) where someone could be right within their midst watching who has parents with them and who doesn't.

That would be my explanation why there is a drop in the # of abductions...the majority of those happened this summer.

I am FB "friends" with Heather Collins and have not seen any such announcement. But there are other FB pages for the girls, so it may be on one of them.

It doesn't seem to be there any more.... I saw it and I saw the comment Kent Smock made about it. hmmmm

I wonder how many media statements are all scripted by LE when it comes to the parents statements in cases of abductions.

It just seems like they all sound so much alike. First, the informational statement of what info they are allowed to release, then comes the pleading and begging for their return...then after the fact (if they are indeed killed), the thank you so much for all your help and pray for us, but respect our privacy statement. All of which are completely understood.

Where is the statement AFTER the fact that says "You SOB you are going to pay for this. I will not stop until I find you. I will make it my life mission to make sure I don't go a day without you looking over your shoulder wondering if today is the day the police come for you".

I guess it just amazes me that more parents don't outwardly show what I would consider a "normal" emotion in the entire grieving process which is anger. I don't think I've ever seen a media statement or appearance by parents of these children where they speak directly to whomever did it, and vow to make it their life's mission to find them and bring them to justice.

Is it because LE doesn't allow it? Is it yet LE controlling 100% of how things have to happen? Is it because LE is afraid that it's only going to cause the perp to do it again to make a point?

I think it would take me a VERY long time to accept what happened and get to a place of peace. I don't know that I would EVER stop the feelings of hatred, revenge, etc. I pray I'm never in their shoes...because this family has MUCH more forgiveness in their hearts than I ever would.

Hell...my Grandfather was murdered when I was 4 and I still to this day absolutely HATE the person who took his life so early. Not just for what he took from my Grandfather directly...but for what he took from our entire family. I can't even imagine what would happen if this happened to one of my own children.

What ever happened to the Operation Quick Find(s) that used to air in the
Eastern Iowa Media Market? Were they dropped by the tv and radio stations
that used to run them and why?

I have seen them recently (fall of 2012 & later). They run on KCRG t.v.9.

I wonder how many media statements are all scripted by LE when it comes to the parents statements in cases of abductions.

It just seems like they all sound so much alike. First, the informational statement of what info they are allowed to release, then comes the pleading and begging for their return...then after the fact (if they are indeed killed), the thank you so much for all your help and pray for us, but respect our privacy statement. All of which are completely understood.

Where is the statement AFTER the fact that says "You SOB you are going to pay for this. I will not stop until I find you. I will make it my life mission to make sure I don't go a day without you looking over your shoulder wondering if today is the day the police come for you".

I guess it just amazes me that more parents don't outwardly show what I would consider a "normal" emotion in the entire grieving process which is anger. I don't think I've ever seen a media statement or appearance by parents of these children where they speak directly to whomever did it, and vow to make it their life's mission to find them and bring them to justice.

Is it because LE doesn't allow it? Is it yet LE controlling 100% of how things have to happen? Is it because LE is afraid that it's only going to cause the perp to do it again to make a point?

I think it would take me a VERY long time to accept what happened and get to a place of peace. I don't know that I would EVER stop the feelings of hatred, revenge, etc. I pray I'm never in their shoes...because this family has MUCH more forgiveness in their hearts than I ever would.

Hell...my Grandfather was murdered when I was 4 and I still to this day absolutely HATE the person who took his life so early. Not just for what he took from my Grandfather directly...but for what he took from our entire family. I can't even imagine what would happen if this happened to one of my own children.

I think in the earlier cases, like Polly Klaas and Adam Walsh, parents were very vocal, if I remember right. Maybe since, they have learned what should be said and not said publicly.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

arent most crimes of this type, having run months unsolved, solved either by a 'tip from the public', or, some accidental event like running a stop sign, tail light out, and other seemingly unrelated trivial events which lead to an on-the-spot
inquiry on the part of some smart police officer?

Just asking: You're the expert!

also: Isn't dan's trial coming soon? Maybe le has been instructed not to release
info on the girls in order not to interfere with prosecution of dan etal?

:banghead:

BBM - ty georger for coming up with this fresh, new thought... IMO that could very well be a part of the "wall of silence" we seem to have come up against.

July 13th 2012 two girls missing from Evansdale iowa. July 25th 2012 attempted abduction in Slater Iowa, the same day another attempted abduction in Colo, Iowa. August 1st, 2012 attempted abduction in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. August 16th 2012 attempted abduction in Waukee, Iowa.

I find it very strange how this ramped up after July 13th, and now you don't hear about anymore abduction attempts in Iowa.

There were also some before they were abducted, don't have links but I wrote the some of the info down: West side of Perry Iowa, May 19, three girls were stopped, ages 8-10, person asking directions to a store, person asked the kids to take him there, the girls ran. Forest city, tan panel work style van, asian man 50-60 yrs. old, short, two people in the van, stopped three kids on bikes. Don't have the date for that one. Read another incident that a child was stopped and asked where a certain church was located, just then the mother came out of the house, she asked the man what he wanted, he repeated to her that he was looking for a church, she said that her and her son would get in their car and the man could follow them to the church, when the woman pulled into the church parking lot, the man that was following drove straight instead of pulling in the parking lot. I think there were a few more but I didn't write them down.

[copied/pasted/bolded by fox from Chelsea's transferred post at Current Thread #28, P. 3, Message#74]:
Originally Posted by chelsea6
I need input from all of you!!

Ok, if you were a local like me, or maybe you are a local, but just don't happen to be me, what would you be asking other locals that could hopefully lead a path to finding out more about the case, and/or possibly finding the killer?

I'm pretty outgoing, so no question is off topic. I'll ask anybody anything pretty much. [end of copied/pasted/bolded by fox]

I had imposed on our mod to transfer the above from Thread#27 to Current Thread in order for WSers to continue giving answers to what they would most like to ask locals.

Upon trying to re-answer the above w/what had been my original Q on last thread, I discovered that Chels' "transferred message" doesn't appear in "my reply." Grrrh...

The only solution I can think of that would allow posters to do a regular "reply w/quote" would be if we imposed on Chels to type-up a fresh post just as she originally did at the below location [hopefully duplicating the emoticons of stadium wave which made it easy to see when WSers replied] :

Thread#27, P.40, Message#994

Provided Chels would be willing to comply, would any of you have a problem with that??? Ty.

He and Heather have often spoken about their strong Christian faith and said they forgive the person or persons who kidnapped and killed their daughter and niece. But they still want to see the culprit face capital punishment.

"I can forgive someone and Heather can forgive someone, but they still have to meet justice. They have to be punished for what they’ve done," he said. "It’s just not fair that they can take a life and can sit in prison and live their life out. And their family can go see them. We don’t get to see our daughter. She’s gone."

http://cedarfalls.patch.com/article...y-re-instated-in-iowa-will-meet-with-branstad

It seems extremely hypocritical to me, but then the DP itself is hypocritical in my opinion, being about vengeance not forgiveness.

Taking a life is a clear breach of the Ten Commandments, yet Christians often support the DP.

Strange.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-missing-iowa-girls-find-girls/story?id=16784357

Taken from link:

Heather Collins had a message for whoever took her daughter and niece.

"I want to say to them that my husband and I have forgiven them," she said. "God has forgiven them already. So we have forgiven them and we just want our children back safe and sound. That's all we want. We don't even want to know who the person is."

(This was when the girls were still missing, so it's possible she was coached by the LE to make that statement in hopes of finding the killer.) Not sleuthing the family, just :cow:

It seems extremely hypocritical to me, but then the DP itself is hypocritical in my opinion, being about vengeance not forgiveness.

Taking a life is a clear breach of the Ten Commandments, yet Christians often support the DP.

Strange.

Not sleuthing family, nor passing judgement, but the above was noted. :moo:

I cannot imagine the horror of what the family has to face. :(

I have a hard time understanding how Christian forgiveness can co-exist with the death penalty, but I grew up in Texas where the Bible never stands in the way of an execution. JMO. I know a lot of folks who would find nothing unusual about Heather and Drew stating they have forgiven the killer(s) and yet want them to be executed. As a teenager, I asked my parents why they felt it was okay for people to be executed. I was told that while God's law means we should forgive those who harm us (I'm paraphrasing, sorry), we are free to enact man's law against those who harm us. I wasn't able to grasp that concept then, nor am I able to grasp it now, but I know a lot of good folks who firmly believe it.

I have a hard time understanding how Christian forgiveness can co-exist with the death penalty, but I grew up in Texas where the Bible never stands in the way of an execution. JMO. I know a lot of folks who would find nothing unusual about Heather and Drew stating they have forgiven the killer(s) and yet want them to be executed. As a teenager, I asked my parents why they felt it was okay for people to be executed. I was told that while God's law means we should forgive those who harm us (I'm paraphrasing, sorry), we are free to enact man's law against those who harm us. I wasn't able to grasp that concept then, nor am I able to grasp it now, but I know a lot of good folks who firmly believe it.

It sounds like one believes what they want, but if something doesn't line up with their beliefs, they find a way to make it "fit". Because where in the Bible does it say we are free to enact Man's law against those who harm us? :waitasec:

Samantha Runyon's mom showed anger and extreme grief.

Foxbluff made a request that I re-post this, so here goes!

(Otto made a good point so I changed my wording.)

:thewave: Calling all of you out-of-towners!!

I know a lot of you have been wondering what the locals here think about certain things. So what question would you most like to ask a local? I'm volunteering to ask on your behalf.
The questions must stay within the board rules here so I can answer your post. :tos: I'll only be asking questions from the locals that I know, so no driving around town with my window down harrassing strangers on the street, o.k? :giggle: Alright, ask away!! :seeya:

It sounds like one believes what they want, but if something doesn't line up with their beliefs, they find a way to make it "fit". Because where in the Bible does it say we are free to enact Man's law against those who harm us? :waitasec:

BBM

I never received what I felt was a reasonable answer to that question.:notgood:

But Heather and Drew apparently believe they can be both Christians and death penalty proponents. A lot of people feel that way. If they can be happy with that, then more power to them as far as I'm concerned. JMO

Well..The old "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth"....???

I don't go to church...but maintain my beliefs....

But...if someone threatened or harmed a loved one? I think more 'basic' or visceral instincts may come into play...

BBM

I never received what I felt was a reasonablpe answer to that question.:notgood:

But Heather and Drew apparently believe they can be both Christians and death penalty proponents. A lot of people feel that way. If they can be happy with that, then more power to them as far as I'm concerned. JMO

These days a lot of people read the bible and draw different conclusions. As far as to how it is interpreted if they don't like what they read they take the passages and make it fit with whatever they believe a just and loving God should believe and leave it at that.

If my children were missing, initially, I would do ANYTHING, or SAY ANYTHING, in the hope it would appeal to the soul of the person that took them. No matter what my beliefs in God were. I am just grateful that I am not walking in their shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV