IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, wondering if park development was ever considered before the girls deaths?

Highly doubtful, but just my opinion. The one thing I've noticed about this whole renovation is how they've made it very clear that this is at no cost to the taxpayers. Every mention of the renovation references how it's all being done by "fundraising, donations, and volunteers".

If renovations were to be done PRIOR to the girls deaths I'm guessing it would have been on taxpayers dollars, more than likely...and it would have had to pass all sorts of approvals.

Maybe they don't feel that since taxpayers aren't paying for it, they get no say in what happens? I have no idea how they've gotten this far without the public's input. :what:

Highly doubtful, but just my opinion. The one thing I've noticed about this whole renovation is how they've made it very clear that this is at no cost to the taxpayers. Every mention of the renovation references how it's all being done by "fundraising, donations, and volunteers".

If renovations were to be done PRIOR to the girls deaths I'm guessing it would have been on taxpayers dollars, more than likely...and it would have had to pass all sorts of approvals.

Maybe they don't feel that since taxpayers aren't paying for it, they get no say in what happens? I have no idea how they've gotten this far without the public's input. :what:

Fundraising/donations = taxpayers money

Since this is being done on public land ("owned" by taxpayers), I'm amazed that the planners aren't having to jump through hoops to get this memorial built on the island. Projects of this sort usually require all kinds oversight, regardless of who is paying for the work. JMO.

What effect will this have on property values? It wouldn't surprise me if it lowered them since you now have the extra noise from the traffic and no longer the aesthetically pleasing wooded landscape. The locals are commenting that now they see the interstate instead. -_-

I just find the whole thing strange. I suspect there's much we don't know about.

I have nothing against a memorial, but this just seems way over the top.
I also feel those living on the lake could have been advised and had their say in the matter. If I owned a home there, I would be upset.

I suspect the project will only create problems. Perhaps more info will surface. :twocents:

Does anyone have a pic of the island before? With leaves on the trees? TIA

Since this is being done on public land ("owned" by taxpayers), I'm amazed that the planners aren't having to jump through hoops to get this memorial built on the island. Projects of this sort usually require all kinds oversight, regardless of who is paying for the work. JMO.

That's what I've been saying, boggles my mind. If that's the way things are run in that town, makes me think of many things there and how they are run.

bbm- I've been thinking abt this all day... if they overlooked local procedures for such projects, what are the chances they knew to check state and federal laws protecting wildlife, native plants, etc. !?

Talk about expensive mistakes... gads!

since I am not a member of the community I am not comfortable chiming in with my own opinions about the memorial etc going on with the island and the gazebos,etc. but do read the opinions voiced by locals to the area.

Just wanted to say I still check in at least once daily in hopes of new news about an arrest of POI. I am still here, just haven't had much to contribute.

I hate that we are nowhere with this case. :(

Wondering if there is any other motive for clearing the woods, such as finding some form of evidence, or to locate anything or anyone unsavoury...

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks!

There was a manufacture charge in the charges ...

I will give some personal knowledge about this gleaned from the area I live (not a good neighborhood although crack is still king, meth is quickly catching up) and through my friendships with members of my own local LE who work on the DIRT squad (Drug Interdiction Response Team).

Meth and crack addicts and/or dealers, when they do not have all the ingredients to cook the product and are in need of cash flow, will sometimes pass off "simulated" meth (something which resembles meth but is really talcum powder mixed with other ingredients, drywall, soap, etc) while they are in the process of gathering the needed ingredients to make the actual drug. They get calls and complaints from their customers and promise to make good. They do tend to make good if they get the opportunity and don't land in jail first. It is all about money and moving it around.

A sort of drug dealing "rob Peter to pay Paul" sort of maneuver that is actually not uncommon in that sort of lifestyle. I have never heard of phony drugs in large quantities being sold in that way because yeah, that kinda thing will get someone killed.

bbm- I've been thinking abt this all day... if they overlooked local procedures for such projects, what are the chances they knew to check state and federal laws protecting wildlife, native plants, etc. !?

Talk about expensive mistakes... gads!

I think it's more likely they just don't care. Their pet project comes before the needs and wants of everybody and everything.

I think it's more likely they just don't care. Their pet project comes before the needs and wants of everybody and everything.

I live in NY, and all wetlands are protected by DEP. A huge bureaucratic agency. Iowa may be different, but I would think waterways are somewhat protected. Found this:

http://www.iowadnr.gov/

http://www.iowadnr.gov/IDNRSearchResults.aspx?q=water

Here where I live, there are many reservoirs. They Start way upstate and make their way down ultimately to NYC. They are all protected.

Just thinking out loud. :fence:

I will give some personal knowledge about this gleaned from the area I live (not a good neighborhood although crack is still king, meth is quickly catching up) and through my friendships with members of my own local LE who work on the DIRT squad (Drug Interdiction Response Team).

Meth and crack addicts and/or dealers, when they do not have all the ingredients to cook the product and are in need of cash flow, will sometimes pass off "simulated" meth (something which resembles meth but is really talcum powder mixed with other ingredients, drywall, soap, etc) while they are in the process of gathering the needed ingredients to make the actual drug. They get calls and complaints from their customers and promise to make good. They do tend to make good if they get the opportunity and don't land in jail first. It is all about money and moving it around.

A sort of drug dealing "rob Peter to pay Paul" sort of maneuver that is actually not uncommon in that sort of lifestyle. I have never heard of phony drugs in large quantities being sold in that way because yeah, that kinda thing will get someone killed.

Yeah it could happen. People wrapped up in this activity do what they have to do in the moment.

Yeah it could happen. People wrapped up in this activity do what they have to do in the moment.

We had a rather amusing incident a couple of years back where a woman and her pimp dragged another guy into the courthouse and threw down several bags of fake meth on an assistant DA's desk, demanding they arrest the guy for fraud because he didn't sell them the product they paid for...

I love gazebos too skeet! And, maybe by doing this construction while still having freezing weather they saved some little birds lives that weren't in the middle of raising a family. I realize other wildlife probably suffered, squirrels, the foxes, etc. Admittedly, I am torn and confused and no solution. . . I feel for the Evansdale community. :facepalm:

Maybe what they need to be doing is a cleanup is at 7 Bridges! And Im not just talking about trees and brush... but a people cleanup ? (sniff sniff)

They have put no thought or consideration into this project so far...What makes anyone think they are going to start now? They have clearly shown they don't give a crap what the community thinks, because if they did, the community would have been able to voice their opinions before all of this started happening. Now it's like: "You don't like it? Too bad! It's done!" Maybe I am mistaken but I believe that every source shows that the community was taken by surprise by the trees being cut down?

They still have 7 Bridges to be proud of! By the sound of it..

since I am not a member of the community I am not comfortable chiming in with my own opinions about the memorial etc going on with the island and the gazebos,etc. but do read the opinions voiced by locals to the area.

Just wanted to say I still check in at least once daily in hopes of new news about an arrest of POI. I am still here, just haven't had much to contribute.

I hate that we are nowhere with this case. :(

Thanks very much for your post. A lot of people support your community.

That's my experience too. The whole project looks to me like an attempt to put safety first which to these people (having no control at 7 Bridges!!!!) means SLASH AND BURN - LAY DOWN THE CONCRETE - LOTS OF SODIUM LIGHTS. Everything out in the open. Maybe they can train the leeches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel