IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:loveyou:

I think we've all been on pins and needles with this case! I don't understand the delay either but obviously I'm not LE.

For me, I am not 100% on board with the perp already being in jail...but I have from the beginning said that LE barked up the wrong tree for too long and the evidence they found doesn't seem to "connect" to where they thought it should. Maybe I'm wrong...who knows.
I just can't buy that NO evidence was left behind at all at Meyer's Lake NOR Seven Bridges...not on the girls,at the park, nothing???

For this person to know Meyer's Lake and also Seven bridges, it screams local to me...or it's someone close to the girls that the evidence that was there, has reason to be there so they have to come up with much more than DNA evidence.

I can't wait for an arrest either...but I'm losing hope every day that an arrest will happen anytime soon. Hopefully I'm wrong. :(

JMO and all that jazz.

And as usual, I'm going to pipe up and say there is way more to it than we know. Evidence they aren't sharing.

Hope this isn't against TOS... The certain RSO that we spoke about a while back.... the salvage yard that took his car is not allowed to speak about it. And that's all I got to say about that. Read into it what you will.

From Vinelink.

10/16/2013

This e-mail is to inform you that DANIEL MORRISSEY has been transferred from Iowa Medical & Classification Center. The transfer took place on 10/16/2013. The offender is now in the custody of Newton Correctional Facility. Your registration with VINE has also been transferred. You will continue to receive updates about this offender.

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/siteInfoAction.do?siteId=16000

Hope this isn't against TOS... The certain RSO that we spoke about a while back.... the salvage yard that took his car is not allowed to speak about it. And that's all I got to say about that. Read into it what you will.

thank you for that info. That person is still very much on my radar

Bumping:

http://www.kimt.com/news/kansas/evansdale-cousins-and-klunder

Evansdale Cousins and Klunder

By Adam Sallet
Updated: Wednesday, May 29, 2013
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - An Iowa police chief says he hopes to know next week whether sex offender Michael Klunder is linked to the abduction and slaying of two cousins who vanished last year while riding bikes.

Evansdale Chief Kent Smock said Wednesday investigators are trying to retrace Klunder's steps from July, when 10-year-old Lyric Cook and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins were abducted. Their bodies were found in December 2012.

Smock said investigators were getting subpoenas for Klunder's phone records and seeking other information. He says he hopes to announce next week whether Klunder is believed to be responsible or un-involved.

“I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers” Quote: Kahlil Gibran

and it is 4 1/2 months later from this statement and we know nothing...
why??

I am having a hard time believing they do not know whether Klunder is involved or not.

JMO

If FBI is in charge and Klunder is being looked at other cases too, it might be a while. He was out of prison for a year or so... jmo

In the meantime, you just keep on, I guess.

and it is 4 1/2 months later from this statement and we know nothing...
why??

I am having a hard time believing they do not know whether Klunder is involved or not.

JMO

I can see several different ways the girls could have been abducted without the perp leaving indisputable forensic evidence at the site (which I believe is Meyers Lake). For instance, even if he drank a soda there and the soda can was collected, it would be difficult to know in advance whether that soda can was significant or not amongst all the other litter that was no doubt picked up. It is a public place and there was probably stuff with DNA from 100 different people lying around.

I can also see how the perp probably lucked out and decomposition destroyed a lot of forensic evidence left at 7 Bridges.

Circumstantial cases can be difficult to prove. What if LE can trace Klunder's movements up until the evening of Thursday 12 July and can trace him again starting Monday morning 16 July. That sure covers the window when Lyric and Elizabeth were abducted but it's not any sort of proof of anything but opportunity. It is suggestive, sure, but not conclusive of anything.

I've been following the case of Tammy Zywicki from the beginning, in part because of her connection to Iowa (she was a student at Grinnell College when she was killed). In her case there have been a couple different possible suspects but it all hinges on circumstantial evidence in each case. My personal top suspect is now dead, so it may never be solved. I have to admit that for every bit of circumstantial evidence that points to him, there is something that points away. LE was never able to get enough evidence against him to make an arrest before he died (10 years later).

Sometimes there's a case where a possible perp can neither be arrested or cleared.

I can see several different ways the girls could have been abducted without the perp leaving indisputable forensic evidence at the site (which I believe is Meyers Lake). For instance, even if he drank a soda there and the soda can was collected, it would be difficult to know in advance whether that soda can was significant or not amongst all the other litter that was no doubt picked up. It is a public place and there was probably stuff with DNA from 100 different people lying around.

I can also see how the perp probably lucked out and decomposition destroyed a lot of forensic evidence left at 7 Bridges.

Circumstantial cases can be difficult to prove. What if LE can trace Klunder's movements up until the evening of Thursday 12 July and can trace him again starting Monday morning 16 July. That sure covers the window when Lyric and Elizabeth were abducted but it's not any sort of proof of anything but opportunity. It is suggestive, sure, but not conclusive of anything.

I've been following the case of Tammy Zywicki from the beginning, in part because of her connection to Iowa (she was a student at Grinnell College when she was killed). In her case there have been a couple different possible suspects but it all hinges on circumstantial evidence in each case. My personal top suspect is now dead, so it may never be solved. I have to admit that for every bit of circumstantial evidence that points to him, there is something that points away. LE was never able to get enough evidence against him to make an arrest before he died (10 years later).

Sometimes there's a case where a possible perp can neither be arrested or cleared.

I lived in IA when Tammy was abducted, such a tragic and sad case.
I have to agree with you, I think the deceased guy was the killer too.

Have you watched Cold Case on TNT? Really good show. Last week they had a guy they interviewed that was clearly a person of interest. Same thing, no good evidence. Made me sick to see them have to release this guy back on the street.

Have you watched Cold Case on TNT? Really good show. Last week they had a guy they interviewed that was clearly a person of interest. Same thing, no good evidence. Made me sick to see them have to release this guy back on the street.

Was that the case where the two daughters were witnesses? I had never seen that show before. Now I'll be watching for it.

Was that the case where the two daughters were witnesses? I had never seen that show before. Now I'll be watching for it.

yes, it is a really good show. Reality TV, but good.
They go back over every detail of the case and re-interview those they can, go back to the crime scene and use DNA and newer techniques to re-examine the clues and evidence.
Sorry, the name is Cold Justice and is on Tuesday night.

I'm looking at it like this -

1. they're not announcing it's Klunder because they can't find enough evidence to charge him/his accomplice yet (unlikely IMO) or

2. they're not announcing it's Klunder because they know it isn't him and they want the perp to believe he/she's safe and make a mistake, or boast perhaps.

Maybe they located DNA that isn't Klunders? It seems if they'd found DNA that was his, it would be enough to charge him.

But who knows what LE are really up to? :dunno:

I haven't seen that show. Do you remember the name of the episode?

Sometimes there's a lot that points in one direction or another but not quite enough to make a legal case. I think one thing LE is discovering is that in some of those cases, time is actually on their side. A lot of cold cases are like that but once someone starts digging around years later, the interpersonal relationships have changed and the investigator gets more help than they did at the time.

Or, as with Casey Frederickson, the perp becomes less guarded and starts talking about the crime and reveals things that only the perp and the police know.

Sometimes there's a lot that points in one direction or another but not quite enough to make a legal case. I think one thing LE is discovering is that in some of those cases, time is actually on their side. A lot of cold cases are like that but once someone starts digging around years later, the interpersonal relationships have changed and the investigator gets more help than they did at the time.

Or, as with Casey Frederickson, the perp becomes less guarded and starts talking about the crime and reveals things that only the perp and the police know.

Case 6
two suspects were eliminated in the show and it came down to the guy that worked at the college or a stranger
boy did they get a lot more info from his previous girlfriends!
POI became the guy that worked at the college

http://www.tntdrama.com/series/cold-justice/case-six/index/

From Vinelink.

10/16/2013

This e-mail is to inform you that DANIEL MORRISSEY has been transferred from Iowa Medical & Classification Center. The transfer took place on 10/16/2013. The offender is now in the custody of Newton Correctional Facility. Your registration with VINE has also been transferred. You will continue to receive updates about this offender.

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/siteInfoAction.do?siteId=16000

Thank you Dr. Know! I signed up for e-mails for DM but haven't received any notifications yet. Wonder if he has any penpals yet? :fence:

It is a FANTASTIC SHOW. #COLD JUSTICE. The ladies can be followed @YolandaMcClary and @SieglerKelly on twitter. They just got picked up for their second season. I just tweeted @YolandaMcClary this morning and she tweeted me back. My favorite episode was a mother of 15 ? Kids. She was murdered. These ladies went back and re-opened the case AND freaking solved it. The weapon was found at the original crime scene. It was a brick. They matched the wounds on the little lady's head up with the brick. It was amazing. They got the perp to admit it on tape FINALLY! They bring in professionals. I'm @Bootsctr on twitter.

Still praying every day LE can find who killed our girls. Thinking about tweeting #ColdJustice about them, although they might not consider it a "cold case" per se. Check out Cold Justice if you get a chance. I have learned a lot watching these ladies and they way LE works.

BW4k4CmIQAAv-l6.jpg

http://www.tntdrama.com/series/cold-justice/ You can watch last weeks episode on line. This coming week is their season finale.

Mattie Williams' case of Collinston Louisiana was my favorite - so far. She is case #2 on their home page.

Kelly Siegler is one of the fiercest prosecutors in the country and has been a licensed attorney in the State of Texas since 1987. She rose through the ranks to become the Bureau Chief of the Special Crimes Bureau, which includes the Major Offenders Division, the Major Fraud Division, the Identity Theft Division, the Asset Forfeiture Division and the Consumer Fraud Division.

Siegler has prosecuted some of the toughest cases with some of the toughest criminals Harris County has seen. And she has done so against the most formidable and respected criminal defense attorneys in the state. She has tried approximately 200 jury trials and is not only respected for her ability in the courtroom, but also sought out as a speaker and expert in effective courtroom advocacy. She has lectured all over the country on topics such as, "Final Arguments," "Jury Presentation," "Arguing Effectively for a Death Sentence" and "How to Pick a Jury."

Nicknamed the "giant killer," Siegler has tried twenty capital murder death penalty cases and secured the death penalty in nineteen of those trials. A fierce advocate on behalf of crime victims and their families, she also has the respect of members of law enforcement agencies, not just in Harris County, but also statewide.

Siegler graduated from the University of Texas in Austin with a BBA in International Business (1984) and she earned her JD from South Texas College of Law (1987).

STATS:
- Kelly has tried 68 murder cases - and has never lost
- Kelly tried 20 capital murder death penalty cases and secured the death penalty in 19 of those trials -- earning her the nickname "Giant Killer"
- Kelly has tried approximately 12 cold case murders
- Named by National Law Journal as one of the "Top Fifty Women Litigators in the United States" (Dec 2001)
- Named by National Law Journal as one of the "Top Forty Litigators Under Forty in the United States" (Sept 2002)
- Her cases and her work have been profiled in five books
- Valedictorian of Tidehaven HS (1981)

Yolanda McClary worked for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department for 26 years and 16 of those years were dedicated to working in the crime lab. She has investigated over 7,000 crime scenes which consisted of murders, suicides, accidental deaths, fire deaths, traffic fatalities, robberies, sexual assaults, batteries, domestic violence, narcotics, vice, burglaries, etc. -- she's seen it all.

During the last two years of McClary's career, she solely worked on crimes to not only catch the perpetrator, but also to be able to link them to multiple cases for prosecution. She investigated these crimes in conjunction with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Henderson Police Department and North Las Vegas Police Department.

McClary inspired Marg Helgenberger's character on the TV show CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

She has an Associate of Arts degree from College of Southern Nevada and a Forensic Science Diploma from American Institute of Applied Science.

STATS:
- Yolanda has worked over 7,000 crime scenes
- 16 years of crime lab experience
- Yolanda received the "Unit Exemplary Service Award" in 2007
- Specialized training in homicide, sexual assault, shooting, robbery and burglary investigations

When Kelly worked in the DA's office in Houston she prosecuted a murder case (Susan Wright) where she brought a bed into the court room and showed how Susan stabbed her husband 193 times. Susan then tried to bury her dead hubby in her yard but it is not easy to dig a grave in Houston! My ex used to work with Susan's husband saying he was a great guy and she was a nutcase. Susan has appealed her conviction and asked for a new trial that has been denied.

Kelly Siegler is one smart cookie that I admire greatly! :websleuther:

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO...secutor-kelly-siegler-serves-up-cold-justice/

Kelly's bio:
http://kellysieglerlaw.com/bio.php
Susan Wright Murder case from 48 hrs:
http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-18559_162-10007022.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics