Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I often check in on the Iowa Cold Case website and these popped up since the last time I was there. Not sure if everyone else saw this and I missed it, but wanted to add them here as there is an updated interview with the new Chief Jensen and also Heather.

http://iowawatch.org/2015/07/26/fal...igation-into-northeast-iowa-counsins-murders/
(article in relation to the podcast)

http://iowawatch.org/2015/08/03/podcast-iowawatch-connection-updates-evansdale-double-murder-case/
(podcast with interview)

Thank you so much for the replies regarding Lyric's bike and the links too! I thought there might have been a pause for Lyric and Lizzy to be together quite as often since Misty had been released from the halfway house and spent some time at the other park teaching Lyric to swim. Seems Aunt Tammy said she was Lyric's favorite aunt. Of course, it would be that way since Aunt Heather had to play the part of mother to Lyric as well. I'm sure Aunt Tammy's house was filled with young people since she has a young daughter as well. Perhaps a lot of young suitors milling about.

Yes, it make sense for the bike to be kept at Lizzy's home because Lyric would often be there.

Heather looks good. She seems at peace and confident the killer will be caught. It seems the rest of the family has not weathered this crisis as well. She is a testimony for her faith. I do hate that this ordeal has split the family, but I do understand tough love too. And, I do agree with her that there will never really be closure on this earth.

From your link 3CK:

"Investigators have said they think the killer or killers were familiar with the Meyers Lake area, Seven Bridges Wildlife Area and the children. Investigators also suspect that whoever did this might be following news accounts of the case."

http://iowawatch.org/2015/07/26/fal...igation-into-northeast-iowa-counsins-murders/

First I had seen, or can remember seeing that investigators think the killer/s were familiar with the children. I've thought that all along though....

Thank you so much for the replies regarding Lyric's bike and the links too! I thought there might have been a pause for Lyric and Lizzy to be together quite as often since Misty had been released from the halfway house and spent some time at the other park teaching Lyric to swim. Seems Aunt Tammy said she was Lyric's favorite aunt. Of course, it would be that way since Aunt Heather had to play the part of mother to Lyric as well. I'm sure Aunt Tammy's house was filled with young people since she has a young daughter as well. Perhaps a lot of young suitors milling about.

Yes, it make sense for the bike to be kept at Lizzy's home because Lyric would often be there.

Heather looks good. She seems at peace and confident the killer will be caught. It seems the rest of the family has not weathered this crisis as well. She is a testimony for her faith. I do hate that this ordeal has split the family, but I do understand tough love too. And, I do agree with her that there will never really be closure on this earth.

From your link 3CK:

"Investigators have said they think the killer or killers were familiar with the Meyers Lake area, Seven Bridges Wildlife Area and the children. Investigators also suspect that whoever did this might be following news accounts of the case."

First I had seen, or can remember seeing that investigators think the killer/s were familiar with the children. I've thought that all along though....

Good article, thanks.
This bit from the link reminds me of paint by numbers, each tiny clue adds up to create a picture. imo.

Jensen said he is looking for someone who saw something related to the crime but doesn’t realize it. That information could be one or a few pieces of a larger puzzle, he said. “The more information that we get the better off we are. It makes it go that much smoother if we can fill in all the blanks,” he said.

Filling in those blanks means considering everything, including information that police know isn’t even remotely connected to the case.

“We get a lot of leads,” Jensen said. “Will a lot of them go anywhere? Probably not. But still, you have to take the time to look at those, and think about them, and evaluate them to see if it’s important or if it’s not.

Quick question while reading the thread.....Missing July found in December. DID the autopsy show how long they been there...I am wondering if they were held somewhere before being left there. Or depending upon decomposing of the bodies it was determined they were killed not long after taken. I know the method use in there murder has not been disclosed. The killer/killers was not concerned about hiding the fact the girls were abducted. Leaving bikes, purse shoes right there in the open. And where the bodies were found, they were not hidden or even thrown in the water, but laid there as if to give back to the families...............Goin to read some more.

Add on...To take two during the daylight......was bold. He would have to have bound them somehow so one could not run one way and the other run in a different direction. Unless there was two. He could have forced them into a vehicle at gun point, but he would have to have bound them eventually so they would not escaped.

Cheap handcuffs like at Walmart whatever would have worked. At least around the ankles.

He could have followed them in a van, until the point where they got and then took them. I dont think they were killed right there at the time they were taken, but later.........Would be risky to come upon the girls, take them to the spot found and killed them there. .......

Looking at the crime scene. It looks as if the bodies are about 25 feet or so apart from each other. One on one end the other on the other end...In between the trees, laying in the open. Why not lay them basically side by side. Perhaps it was to try and make it easier for them to be found by placing them apart instead of closer together.???

The LEOS vehicles could only get so far to the crime scene/bodies left. So whomever left the bodies there had to do some walking to get to the site it would appear from looking at the photos.

Add on........I am guessing there was one killer, he parked where you see the police vehicles and walked along the water in that brown sand grass area to the spot. left one went and got the other one and left her there. Someone been there before or did a google map search and selected that location in advance do to its isolation. Someone may have been on the prowl that day, and follow the girls where they were taken. No DNA as far as I know. Probably plannedon one, but there were two instead. Hard to believe this is someones first and last time. I know there was a possible theoroy about drug dealers i read. Could have been, but i am thinking of an opportunist. Someone prowling and spotted the girls on there bikes. Two for one short of thing. Diffinately someone local. Not a killer whom happened to be in town and decided to kill two girls he seen on there bikes. Though the highway/interstate is right there. Normally they kill hitch hikers prostitutes etc. not two girls on a bike. Plus truckers just passing through and would have dumped them anywhere and drove on. and not go to the extremes this killer did in placing the bodies where found.

I've been assuming the bike was just always at Elizabeth's house. If memory serves me correctly Tammy mentioned something about her getting Lyric the bike, or it was a bike of her's that Lyric borrowed...something like that. But I believe it stayed at the Collins' because Lyric went there every day with Wylma. She mentioned they'd rode their bikes around all the time so I sort of assumed there was a bike there that Lyric rode regularly. I can't imagine dragging a bike from one house to the other every single day...it makes more sense to me to just have one where she rode it daily (which I assumed was with Lizzy).

going back a ways now but IIRC, Lyric lived with Drew and Heather while her parents were in prison.

Chances are she always had a bike there.

Just as I always thought

the girls knew their abductor

Drugs..........Meth........ANYTHING is possible. When meth is involved you can throw out the logical and think illogical.
From watching the Leos pressers i see now why some wonder about a possible drug theory. Especially when Meth is involved.

But one would think after all this time, the Leos have checked many times a connection to drugs and the crime. And interview all there acquaintances, etc etc. And so far have not found a connection. Hard to believe a Meth head could commit such a crime WITHOUT getting caught. No DNA of the killers as far as i have seen.

July 13 2012 a Friday. I knew it was a Friday before i even looked. This case had Friday 13 all over it. Had to look to make sure.

Was going to take a plea deal on the 12, decided not to. next day girls disappeared. Connection. Probably not.
He rated out a lot of people i read. But to say they were taken the day after because he didn't accept a plea deal. Makes no since. Seems they would have taken the girls before or during his ratting, and not the day after he turned down a plea deal. Thats like saying since he didn't take the plea, and walk out for now, they killed the girls because he didn't go to jail. The day before makes more since, not after..........I notice the highway was under construction at the time, so no traffic??.The highway pretty close to where the girls bikes were found. I assume they talked to any construction workers that may have been working on that part of the highway on July 12 2013?? If they were working.

So far in my reading, the leos not releasing manor of death. Something the killer would know only. Unless told to someone else and they called it in as a tip, they mention cause of death they know this person knows what they and the killer knows. Something unique about the manor? Or and in addition something left at the crime scene only the killer knows.

Still dont think they were killed the same day, right after being abducted. But there not releasing that information either as far as what i have read. So right now, dont know how long it appeared they were left where found. Makes me think they were put there a week or two before being found. Or at least not consitant with the amount of time they had been missing.

Just finished watching a show about Skylar Neese.

One of those girls confessed and police let her go.

yep.

She was charged but not arrested for months afterward.

And this in a case with a confession!!!

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Attempted Child Abduction ~ 5/31/2012
[/COLOR]
description
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]The driver of the van is allegedly trying to lure children into his vehicle by either provoking or scaring them. He was last spotted in front of a residence in Forest City around 2:30 – 3:00 today.

I am interested in that attempted abduction in ForeCity i think it is on 69...............From where the girls bikes were found, anyone guess which way he went. 63 or 218 ? The may attempt occured around the same time as this one. But on a thursday.

Where there any items missing from the girls. Was everything found? clothing etc.

The girls were dropped a good distance from where they were taking. To me this does look premeditated, and someone was on the prowl that day. I still think the girls were kept alive for sometime before they were found. He may live up around there, in Waverly, Janesville, Denver. Had a place to keep them awhile. I still think he took the 63 or 218 coming down and going back up...He probably wanted the girls found, he didnot try and hide them, had them laid out. Maybe not much fishing at the time, but knew hunters would be out there and would find them, thats why he laid them about 25 feet or so apart instead of leaving them together. Could have been a somewhat remorseful thing, from watching the news about the case for awhile, he decided to leave them in the open to be found and giving back to the family............

One abduction attempt after this one from the purple pin map. On the fifth of august 8/5/12 Sioux city.
This different color van than white.

Another white van, attempting two students.
http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/lo...cle_32192a74-31dd-5a58-8721-b9b605be20d1.html

[/COLOR]

So maybe we have a nondescript, nerdy, awkward type guy - possibly a grocery packer, or cleaner at a rec center or church, ect. Maybe he borrowed his mom's car and hoped to meet a girl, maybe the girls his age won't talk to him, too busy making plans for that hot Friday the 13th, instead he spots the two friendly-seeming young cousins, now the perp has weekend plans too.
imo, speculation.

So maybe we have a nondescript, nerdy, awkward type guy - possibly a grocery packer, or cleaner at a rec center or church, ect. Maybe he borrowed his mom's car and hoped to meet a girl, maybe the girls his age won't talk to him, too busy making plans for that hot Friday the 13th, instead he spots the two friendly-seeming young cousins, now the perp has weekend plans too.
imo, speculation.

No

we have Someone Known To The Girls

The girls social circle wont be huge, adult wise

This basically tells me what ive always suspected

LE know what happened but due to silence amongst rats, have no way of proving it.

ack............

This statement has just pretty much ERASED the Abduction By Stranger Theory.

Just as I always thought

the girls knew their abductor

Reposting for those who may have missed it

I know I did the first time reading

Reposting for those who may have missed it

I know I did the first time reading

Agree that the perp probably was familiar with the girls, but the girls may not have been particularly familiar with him, ie. a delivery guy, store clerk, gas or amusement ride attendant, stock clerk, ect.
imo. speculation.

I'd have more confidence in that statement if it was a quote from LE rather than a (possibly inaccurate) paraphrase from a reporter.

I'd have more confidence in that statement if it was a quote from LE rather than a (possibly inaccurate) paraphrase from a reporter.

It is from LE.

Smock, to be precise.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/28012264/...h-full-statement-released-by-evansdale-police

As previously reported, we traveled to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children last week to discuss this investigation. We met with a group of experts from the National Center, the FBI, NCIS, and United States Marshals Service and engaged in lengthy discussions about this crime. In the end, the experts were very impressed with our investigative efforts to date and are committed to assisting us in this investigation until justice is served for Lyric and Elizabeth.

Despite tens of thousands of hours of investigative work by the Evansdale Police Department, Iowa DCI, FBI, Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office, Waterloo Police Department, Cedar Falls Police Department, Black Hawk County Attorney's Office, Bremer County Sheriff's Office and Bremer County Attorney's Office and countless other local and state law enforcement agencies, this case remains unsolved.

However, this case is an open and very active investigation with a team of investigators from all of these agencies following up on every lead received. That said, the answer is still out there and we are confident that a member of our community can help us. We are here today asking for your help.

Every single person in the room at the National Center remarked on the importance of Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in this investigation. As many of you know, Elizabeth and Lyric's remains were found in the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area on December 5, 2012.

I am a lifelong resident of this community. I was born and raised right here in Evansdale, Iowa. I think you will all agree with me that Seven Bridges is extremely remote and you must know it is there to get there. We have no doubt that the person or persons responsible for this crime are very familiar with Seven Bridges.

We are asking that everyone think about anyone they know who is familiar with Seven Bridges. At some point in their life, they may have hunted there. They may have fished there. At some point in their life, they may have camped there. They may have gone there to "party" when they were younger. They may have gone mushroom hunting there. We want to know about anyone who is familiar with Seven Bridges.

I know I am asking a lot from you all to call us about a person you know. We will leave no stone unturned in eliminating those who are not responsible. Remember why we are doing this. The families of these girls from our community deserve closure. And, more importantly, Elizabeth and Lyric deserve to rest in peace.

Kent Smock
Chief of Police
Evansdale, Iowa
02/03/15

so...the LE emphasis is NOT on Finding The Killer

but ELIMINATING those not responsible

= there is a core group of suspects

(see: too many cooks in the meth kitchen)

I don't see anything in that statement about the killer knowing the girls, which is the part I was questioning.

I don't see anything in that statement about the killer knowing the girls, which is the part I was questioning.

I don't either

what I do see however, is the Main Priority of the Investigation = Elimination

that means They Have The Perp

as predicted

Also the other evidence, not mentioned - whoever it was, was waiting for the girls.

They biked into a trap.

There is simply no other way this went down.

They were sent to the Lake (remember, they were expected home) then intercepted by a Local

A local = Not Random

A local = knows the girls (its a small town) and knows 7 Bridges, also knows the girls weren't being followed by a hovermom.

He may not come right out and say "we have names" but he did say Elimination of Suspects is the task at hand

ie. they have TOO MANY suspects, all local

I think they were refering to this link. Take it with a grain of salt. Being a small town, spread out would make for a good hunting ground, but the reference to knowing the girls could mean anything, and not knowing them personally. But I know you already knew that. But heres the link anyway from a newspaper. Its farther on down the site.
Investigators have said they think the killer or killers were familiar with the Meyers Lake area, Seven Bridges Wildlife Area and the children. Investigators also suspect that whoever did this might be following news accounts of the case.

I agree with the above except for the knowing the children in any manner. 24 miles to the know is not that far, maybe what 30 minutes 45. Depending on the route taking. I still think they had a preplanned place already choosen, especaillly with them being two, you better had a plan after the abduction. They didnt have far to travel after leaving the abduction site, someplace close to where they were found. Not wanting to be doing any serious traveling after takeing two young girls. Without the autpsy report still dont know about how long they were in the field before being found. I still think they were kept alive for sometime ater being taken. days, weeks even.............But somewhere up north not far from where they were found............To drop the bodies there, one would have to know there way around after dark, unless you think they may have dropped them off there during daylight. But night seems more probably. Could be the same person/people whom tried to abduct up north on the purple map, and on this day they changed there plans to go further south, into a small town with less people . Then they , or just one for that matter headed back up north towards one of those exits not far from the drop off point. These girls could have been kept inside a underground shelter on ones property, used or not. Or some built shack structure like the guys in California few years back that built a secret chamber on there property.

I dont believe those girls were dead for a long time after being found. I say maybe a week or two at the most, If not the day before. Seeing them covered, I did not get the idea there remains were scatted by animals if left there after all this time. Seem there body parts were still intact and together. I dont think they just found skeleton remains, but flesh also.

I think, have always thought, they were taken by someone they knew well and killed immediately.

There has never been a tinge of SA in this, ever.

There is another, as yet unknown, motive imo.

No one kept them, imo...they were killed immediately (statistics support this)

It is from LE.

Smock, to be precise.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/28012264/...h-full-statement-released-by-evansdale-police

As previously reported, we traveled to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children last week to discuss this investigation. We met with a group of experts from the National Center, the FBI, NCIS, and United States Marshals Service and engaged in lengthy discussions about this crime. In the end, the experts were very impressed with our investigative efforts to date and are committed to assisting us in this investigation until justice is served for Lyric and Elizabeth.

Despite tens of thousands of hours of investigative work by the Evansdale Police Department, Iowa DCI, FBI, Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office, Waterloo Police Department, Cedar Falls Police Department, Black Hawk County Attorney's Office, Bremer County Sheriff's Office and Bremer County Attorney's Office and countless other local and state law enforcement agencies, this case remains unsolved.

However, this case is an open and very active investigation with a team of investigators from all of these agencies following up on every lead received. That said, the answer is still out there and we are confident that a member of our community can help us. We are here today asking for your help.

Every single person in the room at the National Center remarked on the importance of Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in this investigation. As many of you know, Elizabeth and Lyric's remains were found in the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area on December 5, 2012.

I am a lifelong resident of this community. I was born and raised right here in Evansdale, Iowa. I think you will all agree with me that Seven Bridges is extremely remote and you must know it is there to get there. We have no doubt that the person or persons responsible for this crime are very familiar with Seven Bridges.

We are asking that everyone think about anyone they know who is familiar with Seven Bridges. At some point in their life, they may have hunted there. They may have fished there. At some point in their life, they may have camped there. They may have gone there to "party" when they were younger. They may have gone mushroom hunting there. We want to know about anyone who is familiar with Seven Bridges.

I know I am asking a lot from you all to call us about a person you know. We will leave no stone unturned in eliminating those who are not responsible. Remember why we are doing this. The families of these girls from our community deserve closure. And, more importantly, Elizabeth and Lyric deserve to rest in peace.

Kent Smock
Chief of Police
Evansdale, Iowa
02/03/15

so...the LE emphasis is NOT on Finding The Killer

but ELIMINATING those not responsible

= there is a core group of suspects

(see: too many cooks in the meth kitchen)

I kind of read it differently.
Chief Smock was still asking for anyone to call in about a person they may know who may have been familiar with Seven Bridges so to me he isn't confident he has a good suspect with the ones called in so far. He is still searching for the killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue