IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm local... you hear it mentioned here-and-there. I think there are many who would love nothing more than to hear that it has been resolved, and yet life has had to go on.... but goes on with some fear. There are less kids playing outside alone the last 5 years....

But also - i personally have heard a lot of "it has to be the drug ring that the day was involved with." There is no facts to back this up necessarily outside of rumor.... but I only say that because I hear that statement often. Being local, I try to bring it up in conversation here-and-there just to keep people thinking about it.... most of my friends/family are sick of me talking about it.

I know one rumor we heard was that a photo of Lizzy had appeared on Backpage. It was never verified, but I was glad to hear that the founder of Backpage, Michael Lacey, has been "charged in the apparent culmination of a federal human-trafficking investigation."

Lacey also co-founded the online classified advertising site Backpage, and authorities had spent months probing whether the website served as a willing participant in the online sale of sex, including with underage girls.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/07/backpage-prostitution-charges/495701002/

The linked below news has been released and posted on the Abby and Libby thread that any DNA if they may have any in their case may not been sent off for comparison. Maybe the wording is off or I'm not understanding why any DNA sample if LE has some would not have already been submitted?

In this case of Elizabeth and Lyric, we don't know if any DNA was recovered due to the length of time before the remains were found. But, if there was, did LE submit it for testing? Do we know what the guidelines are in Iowa for submitting DNA samples? Is there a cost involved to submit it? Does LE sometimes keep it a secret that they have some DNA to protect the case but fail to submit the sample to see if it could match a suspect? Is it sent to state or national databases or both? Are DNA samples taken from any arrestees or just from convicted persons? And, if DNA samples are sent in for comparison, are the records of the samples stored in the database in case there are also matches to other cases?

I know privacy issues may be involved and LE may want to protect their case, but there are crimes that need to be solved!

https://www.jconline.com/story/news...-hope-catching-delphi-teens-killer/523824002/
https://www.southbendtribune.com/ne...cle_0ebefdb5-bf5d-57dd-a3f4-73b8a84be2d3.html

The linked below news has been released and posted on the Abby and Libby thread that any DNA if they may have any in their case may not been sent off for comparison. Maybe the wording is off or I'm not understanding why any DNA sample if LE has some would not have already been submitted?

In this case of Elizabeth and Lyric, we don't know if any DNA was recovered due to the length of time before the remains were found. But, if there was, did LE submit it for testing? Do we know what the guidelines are in Iowa for submitting DNA samples? Is there a cost involved to submit it? Does LE sometimes keep it a secret that they have some DNA to protect the case but fail to submit the sample to see if it could match a suspect? Is it sent to state or national databases or both? Are DNA samples taken from any arrestees or just from convicted persons? And, if DNA samples are sent in for comparison, are the records of the samples stored in the database in case there are also matches to other cases?

I know privacy issues may be involved and LE may want to protect their case, but there are crimes that need to be solved!

https://www.jconline.com/story/news...-hope-catching-delphi-teens-killer/523824002/
https://www.southbendtribune.com/ne...cle_0ebefdb5-bf5d-57dd-a3f4-73b8a84be2d3.html
I think it's talking hypothetically about ways the information could be used, not definitively about how it applies to a real case.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I just watched a special on HBO titled "I Am Evidence" and it's a look at untested rape kits in the United States. It's awful. There are thousands upon thousands that have not been tested. and many have been destroyed without being tested. It was mentioned that the serial killer, Anthony Sowell, might have been caught sooner if the rape kits in that area had been tested. Very disheartening to watch and hear these poor women whose cases "fell through the cracks!"

Apparently, many states have big backlogs -- I don't really understand it -- it is apparently expensive and somewhat time-consuming, but 40--50 years ago, can anyone imagine what that type test would have meant to LE and the courts -- innocence and guilt would have been so much more accurate than it was then. Those in prison when they shouldn't have been, and rapists still roaming the streets, alleys and bedrooms of strangers.

This quote from the Carroll County, IN sheriff seems a little disturbing

Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said running any evidence they have against the broader DNA database is something investigators have not discussed, but it’s worth exploring.

That sounds to me as if they do have DNA evidence, if he said "it's worth exploring". It means they haven't run it against an expanded database.

The question is when to request the comparison since the new law creates an ever expansive database. Do investigators run a comparison now or wait a few more months after more suspected felons have been arrested, Leazenby rhetorically asked, thinking aloud during the interview.

The investigators in the Golden State Killer case said they used to run the perps DNA sample against CODIS and other databases once a week. That shouldn't be difficult or expensive. I assume a search like that costs nothing.

Sometimes I think investigators in these high profile cases focus too much on keeping as much information from the public that they lose sight of what they should be doing with what they have and know. It's like it paralyzes them and the end up sitting there waiting for the killer to call up and turn himself in. I'm just shocked at this.

I hope, if the investigators on Elizabeth and Lyric's case have DNA, they've been submitting samples regularly to DNA databases. That's what they were created for.

I wondered about that developer as well. My mom mentioned that he’d gotten into trouble long ago (possibly the 70’s or 80’s?) but that it was swept under the rug. Also, I know that he and HC are friends and would hang out, socially.

The owner of this property has a troubling backstory that I think should be looked into
Housing development eyed near Orange Elementary School

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My memory has faded. Does he still have to register as a sex offender?

SBM:
“When asked to be more specific, Julie stated that it has to do with the two girls in the woods near Evansdale,” the application shows.

A list of items authorities seized in their search, filed with the court May 23, includes four cellphones, one spiral notebook, one subject notebook and a handwritten note. It also includes two sealed letters — one “to Jeremiah from Henry” and another “to Phaedra from Henry.”

Wait a second...memory isn't super clear on this, but isn't Jeremiah the name of the brother of Heather and Misty?
ETA: UPDATE: Uncle of missing Iowa girls treated for overdose

Yes - Jeremiah is correct. He was a mess after their death (almost moreso than the parents if I remember correctly) and it made some people wonder what/if anything he knew. :(

There was an article from the original discussion of the murder-suicide that referenced she may have known someone else who also commited suicide by train recently.

"Just a week before Gerleman and her son died another man threw himself in front of a train on the same crossing.

Friends told KCCI that Gerleman and the man were connected, but authorities could not confirm the claim."

Mother, son killed by train in apparent murder-suicide, authorities say

Wow@ the above news articles. So sorry about the Mom & son murder/suicide. Just awful to think about.

It would be truly amazing if she did have valid evidence in her home as to who perpetrated the kidnap and murder of Elizabeth & Lyric

SBM:
“When asked to be more specific, Julie stated that it has to do with the two girls in the woods near Evansdale,” the application shows.

A list of items authorities seized in their search, filed with the court May 23, includes four cellphones, one spiral notebook, one subject notebook and a handwritten note. It also includes two sealed letters — one “to Jeremiah from Henry” and another “to Phaedra from Henry.”

Wait a second...memory isn't super clear on this, but isn't Jeremiah the name of the brother of Heather and Misty?
ETA: UPDATE: Uncle of missing Iowa girls treated for overdose

Yes - Jeremiah is correct. He was a mess after their death (almost moreso than the parents if I remember correctly) and it made some people wonder what/if anything he knew. :(
He spells his name Jeramia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member