Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DJ looked like he was going to throw up or pass out during the PC.

I noticed that as well! I just wanted to jump through my phone and give him a big hug.

Another thought...I feel like with them holding so much information is reminding of Jennifer Kesse’s case. I hope this doesn’t come back to haunt them (cold case). :(

In contrast to the previous PC, today Winker seemed rushed and impatient. He spoke fast and with high energy, totally presenting a different demeanor. They are serious and I feel the stress in that town!
jmo

Media did a good job there. LE was quite defensive at times which surprised me given that it should be obvious to him and them that their tactics of not sharing details with the public and media they are seemingly relying on to give them direction will be questioned given their apparent lack of progress.

I questioned it right from the off (about 5 days in) and can only say I would not like to be the one defending that decision should no progress be made in the coming weeks

A few things stood out to me at yesterday's press conference- (yes, I know, almost 24 hours later! but I like to think about things for a bit)

1. This was the first time that I remember seeing her mom, dad, brothers, and boyfriend all being together. I've seen a lot of the dad, I've seen the dad with the boyfriend, I've seen the two brothers... but I had not yet seen them together until today, which is interesting to me (unless I'm forgetting something). Yes, I know the parents are divorced, but I feel like times like these usually bring everyone together to show a unified front.

2.The dad and the rest of the family might have appeared together at that PC, but I just was not getting a close vibe from any them. The mom and dad barely looked at each other. The dad and his sons barely looked at each other. I know it's unfair to judge them during a press conference about something so awful, but it was just a very strange dynamic IMO.

3. IMO, I am getting the vibe that the dad really, really thinks someone in the family knows something. I know this isn't a new thought, but yesterday's PC really doubled down on this point for me. He could have listed several reasons why LE wasn't giving the family information- ie, they don't want to compromise their progress, they are still processing tips, or whatever, but he very deliberately and articulately stated he thinks it's because someone in the family might be involved.

4. Unrelated, but, I was surprised to see no wedding ring on the dad's hand since he just got remarried in June. I don't really mean anything by that- just something I noticed. Everyone does re-marriage (and, first marriages!) their own way, though, and clearly this is a trying time for him.
Interesting observations about family dynamics and I agree. A few threads back there was discussion about how MT was the 'best man' at her fathers recent wedding and it was speculated that the brothers did not attend the event. Divorce seems to have certainly impacted this family. MT by all accounts was very close to her father, the brothers and ex wife, not so much.

From the Press Conference:

Present
Randy
Laura
Dalton
MP Info clearing house manager

Sherriff
Appreciate help getting info out
Mollie was reported missing 19/07/18
18/07/18 last seen running wearing dark running shorts, pink sports top, running shoes

Mollie not been located
Investigation hasn’t slowed down
Public to call tip lines
800 452 1111
515 223 1400
email tips@

If you have a tip from outside of Brooklyn Iowa please call your local authorities
Takes time for us to respond to out of area tips
Local Authorities great on following up on tips
Would be very helpful
Thank central Iowa Crimestoppers, all of my co-workers for working hard on this, especially despatchers

Want them to know how appreciated they are

Kevin Winkler
Investigative response hasn’t slowed
DCI, FBI, prioritise new leads
Unfortunately we haven’t found Mollie
Not due to lack of efforts or resources
Appreciate mollies family & news companies

Position hasn’t changed on release of information
Understand this is frustrating
If we evaluate a piece of info & feel that it leads to Mollie we will follow up

The fact that we do not confirm or deny anything doesn't mean that it's accurate or not

Are SM postings, beneficial or not
These postings are beneficial in that they keep the story in the public eye
Often rumour & unconfirmed by LE

Medina Rahmanovich, Missing Persons Information Clearing House Manager
This has raised issues about missing persons in Iowa
02/08 – 390 in national crime info centre
225 juveniles
majority runaways
26 are categorised as [word missed] since 1976

confirms abductions not common in state
numbers stay steady over the years
disseminate info to public

Iowa one of few states that publish missing persons info
all entries are handled by LE & Sheriffs offices
Can seek assistance from feds if needed
Involuntary disappearances are not common in our state
Numerous reasons for missing persons

Kevin Winkler
Next Press Conference next Tuesday

Q. Red shirt located? Shed any light on it?
I don’t have any info on a red shirt being found. We are looking at all possibilities for suspects

Q. Wearing black sports top originally reported. Now pink top.
Will look into this, can’t explain it

Q. WC officially a suspect?
Not in a position to say

Q. Divers deployed to search ponds?
Ponds, fields, from the air searched

Q. Restart volunteer search efforts? Would that do any good?
Leave that to investigative team & their priorities. They have all of the info to make those decisions

Q. Have more tips come in since reward went up?
Tips coming in regularly

Q. Have you found any [clothing?]
Not diving into this

Q. [unheard]
I’m not going to speak to the fact if we have suspects, POI

Q. Are you saying you have no solid leads?
No, we view all leads as valuable, they are evaluated & prioritised

Q. Are you closer to solving this?
Not going to speak to this now

Q. Where did she disappear from
We have a solid timeline, which is what your question is

Q. Different tips since reward?
Don’t have info with me to say if leads provided anything significant

Q. Any sign of disturbance in the home
Not going to comment

Q.[unheard]
Leads come in, info evaluated, investigative team responds
Expect searches to continue

Q. Are you treating this as a stranger abduction?
We're treating it as a missing persons investigation

Q. [unheard]
Frustrating for everyone, investigative team, us & family & friends of Mollie, but hasn’t slowed efforts or investigative process, we come to work daily with intent to find Mollie

Q. Do you suspect foul play?
Not going to comment

Q. How many state police working case?
30-40 a day incl FBI DCI etc

Q. Why would releasing info compromise investigation?
Parts held very close for good reason, constantly evaluation what info to release & not. Don’t think now is appropriate. Delicate balance. Gives us best opp to resolve

Q. [unheard]
Important because it continues to let us get to know Mollie, talked to her in days leading up to disappearance, call us if you did and we haven’t spoken to you
You can call 911 if you think you see Mollie
People that know Mollie can use tipline with info about M or 911

Q. Pig Farm searched? Have you had to return. Any polygraphs?
Many areas searched, can’t speak to specifics,

Bloody Fox news then talked over the rest of the questions!

The Dad's demeanor was so different today, and Mom didn't speak at all, frankly everyone looked exhausted and out of sorts. Didn't expect any new info so not disappointed there, but something seems different.

I had a bad feeling from the press conference. The father seemed deflated; not his usual self. It might just be the wear and tear of the situation as it drags on, but my gut feeling is the shirt they found is Mollie's and the family knows that. The mom didn't even speak.

I have a daughter half Mollie's age and this case is really getting to me.

I still can't determine the point of these press conferences. My dad (LE) indicated it could be to dispel rumors but they aren't confirming or denying anything. The only thing I can think is that they know they are dealing with a sophisticated perp and are getting close and giving anything away would jeopardize finding her

even though it's an active investigation, it seems weird to hold such frequent PCs if they truly don't know anything. they are playing dumb for sure. which is totally a good thing, i'm not disparaging them for that. obviously they can't lay their cards out publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState