Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
4. Just some immature knucklehead that thought it would be funny to toss a red shirt alongside the road.

5. An animal found it and carried it. So very common. Coyotes are always taking my horses fly masks and their Jolly balls into the fields at night. If that was with a body or hidden and smelled of someone, they would love to grab it and carry it home.

From post above - animals do carry stuff all the time. Happens regularly on my farm.

One theory that occurred to me and which I haven't seen posited, is whether she was/is being held by someone she knows either from uni or her wider circle, in order to claim any reward money they knew would be likely forthcoming?

Not as outrageous as seems as those in UK will remember this notorious case: Shannon Matthews: Mother arranged faked kidnap to claim ?50,000 reward
There are isolated areas in Iowa: abandoned farmhouses, buildings,barns. Old corn-cribs. Actually alot anymore.

and why is it there are so many missing people in this town? Is there a serial monster here?

Does anyone have specific info on Boyfriend’s brother? When did he go to ames to visit his girlfriend that is working there? brooklyn to ames is only 80 miles so i dont get why people are saying “out of town” like they are very far away . 80 miles on their location is nothing but an hour drive and why will he cancel the wedding and not just postpone it? Does these brothers have any records? A stranger from that community will not just enter houses in that area , how did they know she was alone in that house ? I suspect the brother of the bf or another acquaintance or someone who knows the area - Just my humble opinion

We aren’t allowed to sleuth him or any of Mollie’s family per Websleuths rules. I don’t want the thread locked. We can only sleuth named POI and suspects by law enforcement.

I can see where Mollie gets her wonderful qualities. Her Parents for sure. My heart breaks for them. I think reality is hitting them. Whether based on some new evidence or passage of time. Or both.

Yes, these poor people. I was getting teary eyed as I re-watched the press conference and saw her dad speaking. Heartbreaking doesn't do it justice.

The 10-ish PM non-received Snapchat has always perplexed me. It was as if the BF was subtly signalling that this was unusual since he was already in bed and didn't see it until he awoke the next AM. Like perhaps they had already said 'goodnight' for the night. So I wonder if she sent it under duress, or whatever she sent was so out of the norm that it alarmed him?
Pretty sure he opened the snapchat at 10pm (although we don't know when sent) Don't think he opened it next morning.

5. An animal found it and carried it. So very common. Coyotes are always taking my horses fly masks and their Jolly balls into the fields at night. If that was with a body or hidden and smelled of someone, they would love to grab it and carry it home.

From post above - animals do carry stuff all the time. Happens regularly on my farm.
I know this isn’t relevant to the case but what is a Jolly ball?

More likely severe storms blow a shirt away. Check the severe weather that night.

Never seen a coyote carry clothes far. On that night wildlife was hiding. But you are right, could be a predictor finding 'evidence' or digging it up.

I know it's hard but there are reasons to not comment on things. For example, the red tshirt. Knowing that piece of info can lead a teen who's looking for attention to drop red tshirts around to muck with LE. Or it could tempt the abductor to plant false evidence. After being here for so many years, it seems the less info they give out the better the outcome. It usually indicates that they also have a strong indication that she's still alive. When they start immediately releasing lots of info I always cringe because it means they've typically got nothing to lose by doing so. So good news is, she's most likely alive and the hope is that whoever is holding her will let her go.

Last edited:
Just bumping this up for anyone new to this thread:

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed.

In the last thread the same queries were posited over and over about who was cleared. This person was cleared but not that one and how about this one and that one. These type of sentiments and statements can be construed as suggesting involvement by individuals in Mollie's close circle of family and friends. Our terms of service very clearly discourages that type of speculation.

TOS and WS rules will be strictly enforced from this point forward. You have been duly warned. Expect a TO or worse if you choose not to follow the rules of this forum and of this case.

*no need to click like button*

Thank you Harmony 2,

To our members posting on Mollie's thread. You may think by tossing out a question like "What about (insert name here) has this person been cleared" it seems totally innocent. It's not at all. You have just inserted an innocent person into a huge nationwide media story and cast doubt on their innocence.

You must understand how powerful your words are especially on Websleuths. We know law enforcement reads here along with many media outlets.

We will never know if the police read our threads and use the ideas from our members but I would be my life on it. Please keep this in mind when you post.

So when you are discussing a case, especially a case as big as Mollie's remember what you post matters and your words are being seen by many.

We will be timing people out or banning outright those who do not stop mentioning innocent people and asking if they have been cleared.

Thank you,
Tricia

Also, we keep talking about only the texts other people are confirming they sent or received but we are forgetting that LE has access through her service provider to EVERY text she sent or received as well as ANY incoming or outgoing phone call. I have no doubt there was much more than a text to her mom about dinner and a text from her brother about a ride that happened on her phone and they don't need to know where her phone is to know about it all.

This is just a thought --- I would like some others thoughts.

WHY don't we add a new layer to OBSTRUCTION or HINDERING PROSECUTION specific to cases of MISSING PERSONS to make it a crime to mislead or lie to ANY LE.

We have laws on the books where governmental agencies notification via their legal organ (a particular newspaper normally) then the public is responsible for their actions - be it pay their taxes, no longer hold someone liable for a debt ... Most of the laws involve money/fiances - a court notification about a divorce or sell of property, a tax office notification that millage rates are X amount and taxes are due by a particular day...

Aren't lives more important? And if you want to approach it on the ultra pragmatic - look at the amount of resources expended.

It could be a federal law for if and when the FBI enters any MISSING PERSON CASE, the stakes are raised. Much like you can't lie to the FBI without penalty - you can't sit on your hands and hope the FBI won't find you had a role in a missing person case. I know we are a generation who has been conditioned to think PRIVACY trumps PUBLIC SAFETY but that is wrong. Prior generations and the good in our generation continue to want to help our communities be safe. We have to draw a line when it comes to how much we will tolerate and what sort of consequences should exist when it comes to missing person cases.

Right now Obstruction of Justice includes bribery, murder, intimidation, and the use of physical force against witnesses, law enforcement officers or court officials.

Why can't we add withholding information for a missing person case? Wouldn't this make it more likely, maybe over time, for the general public to just DO THE RIGHT THING and even provoke the right response from folks who may have otherwise put more weight on staying on good terms with the criminal?

All would know that if you are in the USA and you know anything to help the LE solve a missing person case, you have a DUTY once there is a public notification - like the PC and it appearing on TV and/or a notification placed on the DCI and Sheriff websites .

Re: Shirt found.

The night/morning she went missing there was bad weather in Iowa. Severe tornadoes hit not very far from her home. Perhaps even power out.

I seriously doubt an animal carries a shirt away. Why? However tornado winds carry objects miles away. A red shirt could be something could be nothing. However it is very suspicious.

Would also note those storm swollen rivers move very very fast.
what was the condition of the shirt?
if there were Tornado and all kinds of bad weather in there , then that shirt will be like a rug dry already not unless something is covering it

;)
Kevin Winker

"I don’t have any info on a red shirt being found. We are looking at all possibilities for suspects."​

JMO
This response really bothered me.
He either flat out lied to the public or he should have known about the red shirt that was talked about all day yesterday by numerous sources.

If he really did not know about it then I am now concerned about how in touch he is with the investigators.

During the Friday presser:

No one during this presser uttered the phrase, "We believe Mollie is still alive."

Medina Rahmanovic stated, "abductions, involuntary disappearances are not common in our state." She also stated, "Iowa is one of the few states that publishes all missing persons information."

I assume she means statistics because it certainly doesn't mean on-going investigation results or even facts?

"Are you treating this as a stranger abduction?"
Kevin Winker replied, "We are treating this as a missing persons investigation and we are trying to find Mollie and that continues to be our focus, is to find Mollie."

I interpret that as they believe MT knew her abductor.

"Can you confirm that there was foul play?"
Kevin Winker replied, "I'm not gonna confirm anything at this point related to the results of a lead or try and draw conclusions about what the investigation shows at this time."

He did not say, "confirm or deny", but also included, "or try and draw conclusions about what the investigation shows at this time." In other words, yes, but he remained true to form and muddied that part of the pond.

During his remarks, RT commented toward LC that maybe she should comment regarding providing details about the reward funding process. When RT finished his comments and walked away from the podium it appeared LC was about to approach the podium but at that moment Kevin Winker ended the presser with an, "Alright. Thank you, folks." comment.

The sense of urgency was gone. The sense of hope and energy was gone. In fact, it was somber.

I interpret that as indication they have evidence that points to MT not being alive.

and why is it there are so many missing people in this town? Is there a serial monster here?

There arent...that was one of the main points of the PC

I know this isn’t relevant to the case but what is a Jolly ball?

Original Jolly Ball Horse Toy | Jeffers Pet

Horses and cattle dogs love them :)

More likely severe storms blow a shirt away. Check the severe weather that night.

Never seen a coyote carry clothes far. On that night wildlife was hiding. But you are right, could be a predictor finding 'evidence' or digging it up.

Agreed the weather...but honestly the Coyotes here in Ontario take my fly masks back 20 acres some nights. Its so annoying!

Interesting take on situation. My take is slightly different in that I believe that he is a career pro and doesn't really care too much about what public or press thinks about the situation as his job #1 is to find MT. What I found off though was that he claimed to not have some basic information (told one press person would have to get back to them on a basic question and no knowledge of what was found at site yesterday). In comparison to the other day, I didn't find the main speaker compelling in that he didn't seem to know the even some basic details of what we have seen play out in MSM video. The frustration we both sensed from him today could have been simply from the never ending questions when the stated response at the beginning of the PC was the same as articulated at the prior PC or perhaps he was frustrated because he is 'out of the loop' with the rest of the investigation and so was put in position of facing the press with limited information? I didn't think today was his finest hour by a long shot. I am curious who exactly is leading this investigation (State or Feds?) and why the press didn't ask for clarification on issue. Its odd in a sense to not see the FBI front and center when my guess is that they are leading the charge. Curious what others think on this issue. It was certainly another odd PC IMO!

I know this may be a little psychotic to do, but what if someone just called and asked PCSO who is running the investigation? I was on a vacation back in May and took my kids to Kalahari in Ohio. The night before we were supposed to check in, there was a shooting. It was all over the news. I called the hotel to find out if my children would be in danger had we checked in. The hotel REFUSED to tell me so, as a concerned mother I called the sheriffs office. I talked to the sheriff himself who was extremely nice and gave me information I needed. However, I went through a few people before they put me on the phone with him. Maybe a desk clerk or someone else would give out the info about who’s leading the investigation in order to help? I know that’s the last thing they probably want to hear a call about right now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico