Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This theory may be 'way out there' but the longer this goes on the way it is, it seems more like a kidnapping/ransom situation than anything else. The LE dynamics at PC and these 'say nothing and confirm nothing' PC events remind me of other kidnapping situations I've followed. I wonder why we have not heard from a spokesperson from the FBI and why the State person is the designated spokesperson? What is odd though is that they keep asking for tips and public assistance. Maybe they are in contact with perp but can't confirm location. The idea that main speaker today couldn't confirm/deny what was found at the site yesterday in terms of shirt was telling I thought. Will keep pondering....

;)
Kevin Winker

"I don’t have any info on a red shirt being found. We are looking at all possibilities for suspects."​
Parse his words.

He doesn't have info on a red shirt being found. "Found". He may have information on a red shirt.

'All possibilities.." means nothing. A nothing statement which makes one think LE has narrowed suspects down to a couple if not one.

I think they know who. Just my impression (and hope).

It's a waiting game. Waiting for investigators to find evidence, to find Mollie. Waiting for the suspect to come clean. Waiting.

jmopinion

Due to time difference - 6 hours ahead and middle of pm when conference on - couldn't catch live, but thanks everyone who pitched on with reports. Feels like I missed little!

I don't think the police have any concrete proof. I think they no doubt individually and collectively may have suspicions as we have here, but nothing firm to move in to arrest anyone.

Like said above, they are likely to be looking closely at a few people and playing a waiting game, hoping to flush them out by their making a wrong move. Maybe that's why they are being non-committal on the red shirt. Seems odd to say know nothing about it when been a very prominent thing in last days.

Hello. I signed up on this forum after lurking this thread for awhile, so that i could post something that perhaps was overlooked. The electric co-op that is right next to that house states on their website that they accept in-person payments during business hours, of 7:30AM-4:00 PM. Thus, we would be led to believe any vehicles passing through would be during those hours, for the reason of dropping off a payment of check or cash. -But- .. the website also states that payments can be dropped off after-hours, if deposited in their drop-box, anytime ..24/7. The following is just wild speculation.. skip it if you'd like... I think that this could provide a reason for people to pass by that house at an odd hour, and park and get out of their vehicle. It perhaps wouldn't appear bizarre to Mollie to see someone pull up, or be parked out there at an odd hour, outside of their business hours. She would perhaps have no reason to become alarmed if someone were even to knock on the door and assume the house had affiliation with the co-op, or an employee of the co-op lived there (it's oddly right next to the co-op without any trees or bushes seperating the house from that building, just grass). If someone were to regularly drop off their payments at odd hours, for whatever reason (maybe they work odd night shift hours and this is when they can drop off payment).. then they would notice that house normally have vehicles in the driveway at say, 3:00AM-6:00AM. Hopefully LE already interviewed people who payed check or cash at that co-op, that week she went missing, i am sure the company keeps records of what tenders people used.

Payment Options | T.I.P. Rural Electric Cooperative

Great post, Nofrillsmcgee !

I'm sure the investigators have spoken with all of the employees as well.

Sometimes at businesses such as this, staff may be called in to do something at the office late at night or very early before they open at 7:30 a.m.

Perhaps one of them noticed something and advised the investigators of this.

Your insight is wonderful. Thanks so much for your post!

Thanks for posting this. I had noticed that the PCSO stopped posting the reports on a daily basis, and hadn’t noticed additional reports were posted yesterday. Is there a reason why these are again available, especially as it shows some indication of where they have been searching?

I’m thinking it may be another way to give the public limited information to go off of without LE actually reporting anything. Also, having something like that out there could make a perp sweat. I researched the codes for arrests in Iowa in those few days, and most are linked to possession of weapons or drugs, and one is obstructing justice, but that was a person far too young in my opinion to be a cause for concern. I have no idea, but I know that the county in Michigan in which I live now does not provide daily updates on social media, so I found that peculiar.

They are public officials. They are our employees. We are paying them. We are entitled to know what they are doing. Saying otherwise is like say, why does my damn boss think that he is entitled to know what I'm doing on his time?

My stepsister was murdered in 1990 and remains unsolved. LE doesn't "have" to tell us anything and they sure don't tell us everything. Even now 28 years later they it is because it might jeopardize the investigation.

You can't honestly think they aren't telling the family anything. What they are telling the family far exceeds what they are telling the public, and for good reason. The only reason people are mad about them not telling the public much is because they don't want it to get twisted and spun like it inevitably will. They are doing the right thing and keeping the appropriate people informed. That being said, they could have at least commented on the search yesterday and the red shirt that was found. Even if it was, "yes, we found a red shirt, but don't have anything to prove it belonged to Molly at this time".

Im not saying they are not telling the family nothing but it’s not much. When you can’t deliver a timeline that’s a concern. You don’t have to give a full time line but up to a certain time. Dont deny the red shirt, interviews we know happened etc. it’s just not good practice. You can acknowledge without giving details. There is zero point having a PC if every time it’s “we are working hard and won’t confirm or deny anything”. He wouldn’t even comment on tips which gives little if anything away. I do feel they have solid info I just really question their tactics because in past cases this generally doesn’t go well. That’s all I’m saying. The father looked like he was about to say something at the end and they tried to get him off. The perception doesn’t look good.

Happy Hello All - I apologize but I have not read all of the posts.

After the Press Conference yesterday about the reward I wanted to believe the addition sum would help LE get the tip(s) they need to actually locate Mollie. That is the single focus of her family. The police have a broader focus
so at their first PC Director Winker narrowly asked for particular people to contact LE -

IF YOU KNOW THE WHEREABOUTS of MOLLIE

IF YOU KNOW THE REASON SHE IS MISSING

That second one is not a simple one .

I rarely rarely talk about my personal history - some of the first posters to this site (and before it morphed into this site) may recall some of my history. I am wondering if one aspect might help here -

I was the victim of stalking and I almost died over 40 years ago. I was the very same age as Mollie, also a college student. One of my first posts here during this case was my questioning whether a stalker might be involved. The initial replies made me question if I was transferring some of my own history/life experiences and was not able to be objective. I have found it interesting the media has reported two different men both with stalking in their past have been the focus of LE in Mollie's case. So maybe I have more of a hypersensitivity than a lack of objectivity.

At the time I lived this sad and challenging chapter the term stalking was not common. I want to share a bit how my stalker operated. Because I think it may help someone understand why their TIP is important when they may either not realize it at all right now or may have convinced themselves that someone closer to Mollie surely has let LE know or ...

I had a tiny circle of close friends. Went to a HS with the largest graduating class, 1486 people - very close to the population of Brooklyn IA. However, I was a class officer and worked on and attended all of our school events. I served on various citywide boards with folks from other schools and I worked after school (had since I was 14). My stalker used others to learn about me.

For me it started with getting flowers delivered repeatedly. Then came phone calls - back when there were lines attached to phones and pay phones were the phones of choice for folks who wanted to try and hide their movements. Today we have burner or throw away cells. And criminals are more and more routinely borrowing a stranger's cell phone.

For me the phone calls came to my home and work - even after I changed jobs the calls continued. HOW? I hadn't told him! And the new job was two cities away! And he would show up at the movies when I was there. Or at a concert. Or an ice cream shop just as I was leaving he would come through the door. Or he would show up riding a bike on the boardwalk at the same time I was there. Or ride by the spot where I (and a group had since junior high) used to lay out at the beach. I honestly at the time thought it was just because we were growing up in the same town! And our town was much much larger than Brooklyn IA.

It was only after all the dust settled I and my family and friends understood how the stalker had created his own circle of contacts - siblings of friends of mine, friends of friends of mine, co-workers from my old job, and long time owners of businesses around town who would have known me. It was through them he was able to learn about me.

For me and my family- the phone calls morphed from pleas to harrassing hangups which might go on for an hour, any time day or night. My dad refused to changed my phone number and in hindsight it most likely would not have stopped him. He was very cunning. But back then the telephone companies could trap a line and trace where incoming calls originated. I honestly wonder if that has become harder now for LE.

Here's the thing - the folks whom he was asking had no reason to suspect there was anything wrong with his questions. The questions were asked in a way to seem normal.
PLUS and this is huge - I had never shared things about this young man with anyone. Even when things got really bad no one would have known to be guarded. And honestly none of us saw what happened coming.

I didn't share stuff with family and most friends because it was embarrassing. And I didn't understand what was actually happening. I trusted folks and I thought at that time all people were basically good people. I may not have wanted to date this young man but I considered him a friend. I just was so naive.

When bad things began to happen I kept them to myself too - because back then girls could wind up in court being blamed for their own rape because of what they wore. And I had never heard of a boyfriend being charged with hurting his girlfriend. And when the boy comes from a wealthy family in town! I just wanted to get to college and start my new life.

*** Keep in mind what I lived may have involved a boyfriend but for MOLLIE - she had a HS sweetheart and DALTON is NOT in anyway to be confused as involved.

For me, I recall how folks who have since learned what happened have thought back and approached me and said "If I had only known".

Well- when it comes to Mollie - this is a town the size of my HS graduating class. And many of these folks may not share the community but may in fact be related to one another. That is so common in small towns everywhere.

Can you see how someone asking a question or just being nearby when you learned Dalton was going to a construction job out of town may be important to LE?

During the first Press Conference Director Winker said specifically "folks who were in Brooklyn on the 18th"

Well if you know of someone who went to Brooklyn that day

or
Someone who COULD HAVE gone to BROOKLYN -

For me my stalker told his parents he was in a different city much of the time he was where I was - be it at my University or in our home town. His parents were clueless what he was up to or they just turned a blind eye. To this day I am not sure. He supposedly used credit cards supplied by his parents so I have wondered how they didn't know some. But in the end it wasn't their fault. And I don't believe they could have stopped what happened.

When someone is fixated on a person it is very dangerous. And the victim is totally helpless and at times cluess as to what is happening. The reason he snapped and tried to kill me, according to the Commonwealth Attorneys who prosecuted the case, was I was becoming more independent. I had moved on. But honestly that was what they told me. I have never learned what precisely was in his head.

Who said what when which may have set him off or brought him to that point.

When I think of Mollie -she was running along the streets of Brooklyn daily - according to at least one newscast. And she was involved in various things around town - may have appeared in the paper?

If Mollie was being stalked it could be difficult for folks who don't understand how stalkers behave to understand it. Some of the responses initially here were about where the windows were in the house. Stalkers don't work like many TV or Movie shows. I know how at least one stalker worked. And I have followed missing person cases ever since because it could have been me and there was a young woman who vanished from my home town in the 1970s and she is still missing.

Today's PC we learned there are at least two folks who work for the County Sheriff's office who live in Brooklyn.
I am mulling over and over - is that a plus? Or could that be a minus? Not because of who they are or their abilities but because someone(s) may just have assumed "Well, so and so's brother in law is a Deputy so I am sure that information is already known.

Missing person cases are like big zigzaw puzzles. Different folks have different pieces. Until enough pieces are known and put together - LE can't find the missing person.

I hope the good folks of this County and neighboring counties because let's face it, families don't all stay put.
Folks leave small town to take jobs, go to school. They may stay in touch or they may venture home from time to time for a funeral, a birthday or a holiday - Mollie disappeared not that long after the 4th of July- I wonder if someone might have been visiting that area around that time and may just have seen or heard something.

The really irritating thing for me is the way the LE are handling this case. I truly believe the best cases are the ones where LE act like fishermen and just toss out enough bait (information like her jogging routes, if she ran during a particular time of day) to hook that lead they need. I could be absolutely wrong here and the way they are working the case is the only way it could be worked

But from my chair the family have suffered enough.

Dear Veracity,

Thank you sharing your story and I feel sad that you went through such a terrifying time.

Your insight is valuable and greatly appreciated. I have learned from your post.

I am so thankful that you are safe now and that you are here.

Last edited:
There is a truck stop at this address if it was in Brooklyn IA

That is very interesting. I still don’t feel that this is random, but an easy place to maybe plant or simply dump something would be at a truck stop. For all we know, it could be that someone left their wallet and it was found or something along those lines.

fyi
I keep getting kicked off the site. I am aware the thread is over a thousand posts and I have a new thread ready. I am going to wait until the server settles down to move us or when posting is not as precarious.

He sounds frustrated. It's gotta be tough when you're an experienced LEO and working with a bunch of highly qualified LEOs and have made a decision that you feel is in the best interest of the investigation but it makes people question your capabilities...
Interesting take on situation. My take is slightly different in that I believe that he is a career pro and doesn't really care too much about what public or press thinks about the situation as his job #1 is to find MT. What I found off though was that he claimed to not have some basic information (told one press person would have to get back to them on a basic question and no knowledge of what was found at site yesterday). In comparison to the other day, I didn't find the main speaker compelling in that he didn't seem to know the even some basic details of what we have seen play out in MSM video. The frustration we both sensed from him today could have been simply from the never ending questions when the stated response at the beginning of the PC was the same as articulated at the prior PC or perhaps he was frustrated because he is 'out of the loop' with the rest of the investigation and so was put in position of facing the press with limited information? I didn't think today was his finest hour by a long shot. I am curious who exactly is leading this investigation (State or Feds?) and why the press didn't ask for clarification on issue. Its odd in a sense to not see the FBI front and center when my guess is that they are leading the charge. Curious what others think on this issue. It was certainly another odd PC IMO!

There's also been a lot of criticism of the attention Mollie's case has received when there are others missing in Iowa - and elsewhere, for that matter - so I believe her presence at the presser was to provide some clarity about the open cases currently in the State of Iowa.

I believe Mollie's case gained so much interest was not because she was a particular race but more because she was a young woman who is the 'girl next door' - and as a society, some may not like this, girls are supposed to be protected more than boys and as a society if a young girl like Mollie or a child vanishes there is a heightened concern. Add in the heartland of our country and a tiny town not that far from Chicago, one of the largest cities in our Country and I can see a multitude of additional reasons why her case picked up steam early.

And I wish someone in the room has asked her two questions -

If runaways was the category for most missing =why was that label not used in their report.

AND

What exactly Mollie's classification means. It is different from all of the others in their annual report.

My sense from watching PC today is that Winker is a spokesperson rather than the team leader. But I'm curious to hear from any LE experts out there on what they think as I am scratching my head a bit as to who is leading this investigation and why we haven't heard from them or even know who they are.
Who makes the ultimate call whether or not to share information with public in cases like this? Is it someone like Winker or would it be lead investigator(s)? Just wondering who is making that call.

Hi KaaBoom :wave:,

Respectfully, in Jessica’s case there is no way we could have antipated or know. Who her killer was. He was not even legally an adult at the time and had no criminal history (while in hindsight Ren could have been signs...).

So often sexual predators walk among us and we have no idea, moo.

Which leads my mind back to the possibility of a neighbor. Of course they would have all been interviewed via canvassing, etc...but we’ve seen this sooo many times here...

Yes, but the Denver Metro is a big city. People can get away with things in a big city. It's easy to blend in and no one will even notice them in the city. It's a lot harder to do that in Brooklyn Iowa, where everybody knows everybody, and they all grew up together. Crime is low in small towns, not because the people are better, but because nobody can get away with serious crimes in a small town. It's very unlikely the kidnapper is from the town. Even the hog farmer who seems to have become a POI, lives 15 miles away in another county. Which probably means that they have eliminated any POIs in town, and now they have worked their way 15 miles out of town.

Yes, the mother stated she thought it may have happened the next day because she couldn't find the red shirt anywhere. After that, focus was on her jogging attire and the belief that she went missing during her run. Family members and a neighbor said investigators told them she returned to the house and was doing homework until late into the night but I don't think LE ever confirmed it. I agree with your theory that she went missing that night between 12:00 and 6:00. There were heavy rains on and off at that time making it less likely someone would here a car or dogs barking. If she were forced out of the house at gunpoint or knife there may not have been any signs of a struggle. The abductor could have ordered her to put the dogs in the basement. We don't know yet what evidence they may have found in the house.
i only heard about the red shirt from family statements, interesting le barely mention it
St

As to point 1., It could have been thrown from a car by Mollie herself, in a desperate attempt to leave a trail. However, I don't think this is the case, since it was found right next to the same pig farm where they searched. That would be too much of a coincidence. I think if the shirt is not hers, then it was placed there as a prank or someone trying to mess with investigators, and if it is hers, it is either indicative of her having been in the area, OR it was brought there by her abductor and left there to throw investigators off the scent, since this was on the news as a location of interest.

Most perps are not that smart. Famous cases, once in a generation, maybe, not small town, local perps. A local perp is likely panicked, having seen his plans go sideways. He is looking for his isolated places to cover-up evidence.

My suspicions: Local perp with long history of deviance and stalking. Multiple offender, who is socially isolated. Knows the rural, river, pond area well. Knows the fast flowing rivers and where to hide evidence.

Yes, but the Denver Metro is a big city. People can get away with things in a big city. It's easy to blend in and no one will even notice them in the city. It's a lot harder to do that in Brooklyn Iowa, where everybody knows everybody, and they all grew up together. Crime is low in small towns, not because the people are better, but because nobody can get away with serious crimes in a small town. It's very unlikely the kidnapper is from the town. Even the hog farmer who seems to have become a POI, lives 15 miles away in another county. Which probably means that they have eliminated any POIs in town, and now they have worked their way 15 miles out of town.

Not true. It is a very rural area with miles and miles of remotes sites. No video, no phone reception even. Open spaces and menacing skies. No witnesses for miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member