Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed in todays presser the dad perusing the audience very intently. He must be looking for signs on someone. He seems very determined imo. Her poor mother seems so very sad. I really feel for this family. It's been way too long with no sign of Mollie.

Same. Much different than yesterday. Yesterday felt hopeful. Today's demeanor looks dejected, heavy-hearted. My heart goes out to them.

I aplologize if this has been discussed/answered and I missed it. Do we know anything about the quality of the internet connection and/or cellphone reception at the bf house. Any thought that she might have gotten a ride or walked somewhere in order to upload a homework assignment, send a sc, or facetime?

Edit: Any spots in town with free WIFI?

Last edited:
Has this video been posted before?

Boyfriend of missing Iowa student speaks out

It's an ABC news segment with some info and an interview with Mollie's boyfriend, Dalton.

Looks new to me. I don't think I had heard that Mollie was going to be the maid of honor in BJ and AH's wedding. DJ also says he was in contact with Mollie via text and snapchat prior to her run on Wednesday.

I added it to the media thread.

I aplologize if this has been discussed/answered and I missed it. Do we know anything about the quality of the internet connection and/or cellphone reception at the bf house. Any thought that she might have gotten a ride or walked somewhere in order to upload a homework assignment, send a sc, or facetime.

JMO
I was thinking along those lines the other day like maybe she went to the library to study but someone kindly informed me the library in town closed pretty early.

I had not thought about her maybe going to a place wiht WIFI though. That is popular amongst younger kids. They sometimes like to be around others when studying or doing homework.

Not sure about the internet at the house.

This guy touches his head, face, neck and glasses like 12-15 times in 3 minutes...about once every 10-15 seconds. Either somebody polished off too many cups of coffee this morning or the interview has him a bit jumpy. Just my personal observation.

In body language these can be signs of deception. I found the interview alarming but I am not accusing this individual of anything.

I would love to know what Dr. Lilian Glass makes of it.

I aplologize if this has been discussed/answered and I missed it. Do we know anything about the quality of the internet connection and/or cellphone reception at the bf house. Any thought that she might have gotten a ride or walked somewhere in order to upload a homework assignment, send a sc, or facetime.

I don't think it's been mentioned, but I do know there are several areas with poor service in Iowa. I even have issues sometimes at my mom's house, which is a suburb of a larger metropolitan area in Iowa. I was up in Dubuque once, and there was literally zero service in areas outside of the city. Unless the boyfriend/someone close to the family is posting here (which doesn't appear to be the case), I don't think we have a way of knowing that.

I wouldn't rule out that she would have had to go to someone else's house to do homework, but it's also entirely possible that the BF/their family had their own internet connection which worked fine.

Looks new to me. I don't think I had heard that Mollie was going to be the maid of honor in BJ and AH's wedding. DJ also says he was in contact with Mollie via text and snapchat prior to her run on Wednesday.

I added it to the media thread.

Thats new to me too about her being maid of honor.

I always assumed her BF was going to be best man at the wedding but have not seen that confirmed anywhere.

The Daily Mail and the New York Post reported the hog farmer who had his property searched has arrests for stalking. https://nypost.com/2018/08/02/cops-grill-hog-farmer-for-hours-about-missing-college-student. I looked up his criminal records. Since I am not sure if he is formally a POI, I can't put the results here but those charges are just the tip of the iceberg. Praying for her family and friends.

Question; from what you saw concerning the hog farmer, would you say that he is computer literate?

Been lurking here and following this case for a while. I noticed some confusion about Snapchat and just wanted to clarify some things about it, as I use Snapchat frequently.

As I am sure most of you have heard, Snapchat is a messaging application on smartphones that involves sending picture or video messages that automatically delete after a short period of time (usually seconds). So say, for example, I am at the beach. I would take a picture of the beach, add a caption (i.e. "gotta love the dog days of summer") and click on the friends that I want to send it to, and boom, it's sent. And they can open it whenever and they will see my picture message for a few seconds usually. My point is that Snapchat, from my experience at least, is a very casual form of communication, and most of the time a response is not usually needed or expected. It's more of a "hey friends, look what I am doing right now" type thing.

Now, you can also post these messages to "stories", which are essentially pictures or videos that everyone on your friends list is able to see for a 24 hour period. There is indeed location services on the application as well, called "Snap Map" where you can see the exact locations of your Snapchat friends, if they have the service enabled. This is depicted on a global map much like Google Maps (but not as detailed), with a "Bitmoji", a digital avatar usually customized by the user. I would say of my 100+ friends on Snapchat, about 30-40% have this enabled, including myself. Snap Map can definitely be dangerous, but it has to be voluntarily activated by the user; I do not believe it is on by default. I would say people use this feature mostly to show that they are traveling or doing something interesting.

I haven't read anywhere that Mollie had been using Snap Map, but if a potential perp was friends with her on Snapchat, he/she could theoretically stalk them if she had the service activated. I would hope that LE has investigated ALL of her friends on Snapchat. Usually, to be someone's Snapchat friend means you know them personally to some degree, but recently I have noticed the application has rolled out a new "Quick Add" feature which allows you to add mutual friends or other people whose phone number is not in your contacts (Snapchat accounts are usually linked to a person's phone number). Speaking from experience, I have multiple Snapchat friends who I am not very close with at all, but we added each other through the Quick Add feature. This is Snapchat's way of broadening its social media image. Now, one important note: When someone adds you on Snapchat, you have to add them back for them to communicate with you directly and, usually, to see their stories or their location on the map, if enabled. So, you would most likely know, in some capacity, everyone on your Snapchat list, unless you are careless.

Finally, to add a note about the Snapchat message DJ received from her. Usually, Snapchat will say when a message is "received" too. So, for example, I have a message that I "received" 6 hours ago. It doesn't give the exact time, but a rough approximation of when it was sent to me. After 24 hours though, it would just say "received 2 d ago" for 2 days, for example. My point is: the rough time when Mollie sent her last Snapchat message to her boyfriend should be known, and perhaps 10 PM is indeed when it was actually sent as well.

I think the pressers are very carefully scripted and performed for a very specific individual. Who that is, I have no idea. I do think it's someone local, and known to Mollie, at least in passing.

Her family looked very, very distressed in this one, and along with the brothers being absent makes me think there has been some very disheartening developments. I did not see a lot of hope in them today.

Suggested scenario. Someone knew Mollie was there alone and that she normally walked to her Mom’s house to get the car early. Since it was supposedly pouring rain, this person sees an opportunity to knock on the door or call out to see if she needed a ride, either to work or to Mom’s. She wasn’t quite ready yet so accepted and let the person in, saying she just needed to lock up dogs and put in contacts.

Person offers to put dogs in basement and then takes Mollie. Or it was an advance gone wrong. She’s wearing red shirt, has her phone in a pocket but no contacts yet. Glasses were off in order to put the contacts in. Trouble is I have no clue who the person could be. Did she have any other guy friends who perhaps were more interested in her than she realized? Early morning and raining so all could have gone unnoticed.

Not a random stranger in this case. All my own opinion and trying to make sense of the pieces of info we (maybe) have.
I said in a previous MT thread that I assume and hope LE has looked at the attendance on 07/19 of people she worked with - specifically males. The narrative that she knew the person, they wanted more, she didn't and something happened could fit. It's also possible that rather than try to go to her mom's house in the rain for the car, she was offered a ride from someone who knew she'd be at the house alone.

This would explain the dogs being in the basement because she was getting ready for work, explains the red shirt being gone since she was wearing it for work and why her cell was with her. Only thing it doesn't cover is why her contacts/glasses were left as I don't believe she went to work without them. Some family member mentioned she was "blind as a bat" or something like that without either. It's possible that whoever it was tried to make some kind of advance before they left for work.

This case just doesn't feel like your typical random abductor story of kidnap/rape/murder/dump body. The way it's unfolded there almost has to be more to it. Still firmly in the camp of whoever took her is someone she knew - maybe not acquainted with or close to - but knew who they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenGirl1971