Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if it was mentioned when the FBI would be speaking to WC again today/if that would include any further searches?
Yes, they told him the other day they would be back today. Can't find any local confirmation of this visit any place.

Polygraphs are inherently unreliable and give many false positives and false negatives. I don't blame WC for refusing to take a polygraph. Even if I was completely innocent of a crime, I would never agree to take a polygraph.

I'm an attorney and I would take one in a second if someone I loved or cared about was missing and I was innocent.

If it was someone I didn't know I'd be more cautious just because I wouldn't want unwarranted pressure on me or gossip if something went wrong with the test.

That being said this is a small, tight-knit area and the people there seem devastated by this. I have a feeling most would voluntarily take one.

LE has confirmed absolutely nothing... so it is all just speculation at this point

Agent Mortvedt isn't LE?

Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of University Of Iowa Student Mollie Tibbetts

"This is a new arena for us. That's part of the reason we called the FBI in. It's probably pretty new to them, too," said Mortvedt. "I don't know of another case here in Iowa where we have used specifically Fitbit info."

When Tibbetts' Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortvedt said.

Regarding the cameras at the electric co-op. My husband has to frequently visit electric co-ops like this in rural towns for work. I was talking about how the camera wasn’t working (unverified information at this point I think) and he said that was really weird for an electric co-op. All the co-ops he visits frequently talk and brag about their level of security and the cameras they have. Based on this it makes me wonder if someone broke it that day/night before Mollie went missing, someone who knows how good those cameras usually are. It would be interesting to know how long that camera has not been working.

I read early on it had been out for two weeks.

Yes, it is similar. For the record a $1 million reward in that case didn't solve it. This case could be open for a long, long time.

I always suspected it was workers in the condo and they were long gone back to their native countries.

Body found in Iowa
Investigators said they are "keenly aware of the Mollie Tibbetts investigation and have no reason to believe that the decedent is that of Mollie Tibbetts."

Officials said they are not commenting on the death investigation or the Mollie Tibbetts investigation at this time.

Body discovered in rural Iowa

There are indeed cougars here. We actually had a few Iowa City area schools go to lockdown a few years ago when two were spotted in town. Still, a mountain lion attack in town that nobody sees or hears and leaves no trace seems borderline impossible.

And they would've found her remains or signs of struggle quickly via her phone or Fitbit, probably, if she had been attacked by an animal.

Do you think that is odd? I mean if I thought I was under suspicion and didn't take her I would take the poly. But this guy might have other things going on that would cause him to be nervous about a poly. However, I think the examiner goes over a list of what he/she is going to ask prior to administering the test. If that's the case and he has nothing to hide that should give him some ease. Plus everyone knows that a lawyer will almost always advice against taking one.

I don't think it is odd at all. I would never agree to take a polygraph test, for any reason. There is no way of knowing how that might come out. Even if I'm innocent, the polygraph test could backfire on me and raise more suspicions. I would not even be as cooperative as he was. If it was me I would have told them to feel free to search out in the open, and to get a search warrent for anything else. Once you let the cops start questioning you or searching, it just goes on and on, until you finally put a stop to it.

Is it possible that they want to discuss the lay of the land with WC, and that he is not a suspect, but someone that can help them in their searches?
Or, they're using him for both -- due to the fitbit info.
I know it hasn't been forever on this case -- patience, patience -- but when will this unknowing ever end for her family and others who love her?

I honestly don't understand why some public defender or local atty pro bono hasn't steped up to save JC from himself legally? Searching with no warrants (although I think I read there was a warrant generated at some point but I am not 100%), 3 visits to property by LE, unthinking comments to press? If he can't save himself then he needs help.

I assume you mean WC, not JC.

Could it be because he is the one that contacted authorities? That he is not a suspect at all and is actively trying to help them find the perp?

A search warrant will have time, place, and object restrictions. Some warrants are more broadly or narrowly written than others. Since all states have judges on call 24/7 to sign a warrant, no reason for anybody to agree to a consensual search. Also, It's the only way for you to know what's going on in an investigation that involves your property so wait for the warrant. If you think you're being a good guy to cooperate and give access without warrant, you'll change your mind when suddenly you find yourself left in the dark with NO information on the investigation which may involve your loved one (i.e., Mollie), etc. Absolutely agree why DJ home searched under warrant. As for evidence obtained without warrant, it will not be admitted if the the search is deemed "illegal."
Thanks for clarifying this for me. I didn't understand why they would search WC's if they believed they might find something without a warrant. I think he may know information they are trying to get out of him or they are gathering more information to come back with a search warrant?

I know some people who live in the urban core and refuse to lock the doors of their Victorian, for the sole reason that is shows a lack of faith in their fellow man

This is a brilliant point. The whole co-op thing is a solid lead imo. Also, LE might want to look for customers who usually pay during the time period in question, but did not pay that night. A perp might have, stupidly, thought that not paying would keep his name off the radar, when in actuality a single missed payment on that particular evening would be quite telling.
Agree. Co-op provides electricity to the region and security is important. Wonder if their alarm was not working as well. Usually a few key employees have the ability to work the security system so I wonder if the co-op has investigated and reported to LE on their findings? It could also just be incompetence but I lean towards the idea that security is important as this is a key service provider in the area.

I do not know why the reporter said "yet" because the release is clear they do not have any reason to believe the body is Mollie's.

Nick Weig on Twitter

Dj3F21hUwAAgE0H.jpg

"BREAKING NEWS. Not connected to disappearance of Mollie Tibbetts yet but it is being investigated."
I wonder why they have no reason to believe a body of a female found in her early to mid 20's would not be Mollie. Maybe height, weight, hair coloring......but then who is it?

Body found in Iowa
Investigators said they are "keenly aware of the Mollie Tibbetts investigation and have no reason to believe that the decedent is that of Mollie Tibbetts."

Officials said they are not commenting on the death investigation or the Mollie Tibbetts investigation at this time.

Body discovered in rural Iowa

This feels bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members