Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Siri has gotten better, I didn't used to use it much either. In thinking about Mollie's case though, I can see that it would be really useful. Even at a bit of a distance one still might be able to get off a 911 command.

And I’m sure she probably did have hers enabled, so the idea that it doesn’t seem to have been used is something to think about...

I don't have an iPhone, but do you have to unlock it before you can give Siri a command? If the phone was on her arm she may not have had time before it was taken from her or she was incapacitated.

No you do not have to unlock the phone to make a phone call with Siri... I do it all the time. If I'm in the kitchen cooking dinner and my phone is nearby I just tell it to call whomever I want from my contacts and it does so... it's pretty nifty.

I keep thinking of all the poor girls and young women we have followed here through the years that were taken...this must bring back so many nightmare feeling for their families.

Holly Bobo
Jessica Ridgeway
Morgan Herrington
Hannah Graham
-there are several other women who vanished and have not been found in the same area as Morgan and Heather
Jessica Heeringa
Rebecca Bletsch
Karina Vetrano
Vanessa Marcotte
Sierah Joughin

I know there are others. May they rest in peace. Their poor families.

The more this drags on, the more it seems MT could be listed there as well. But we all have hope. I never would’ve imagined getting a call from my mom they had found Elizabeth Smart and she was alive!

Okay, so... I've read here that her employer was taking kids to a carnival, a field trip, the day MY didn't show up for work... Any indication of where that carnival was, or how that area would or could fit in geographically..? This is just a passing thought, carnies are nomadic, and there surely is a criminal element within their ranks.
Also, a different thought... Do you folks remember the case from Cleveland, where the abductor kept women in a basement type setting for years..? I know that that is a horrible thought, but it's a better thought than MT being deceased.
Just trying to look in some other directions than what the prevailing thoughts have been for several days now.
Yes, prior threads looked a bit at the carnival. Someone from the area comments that it was more ag/4H type local fair vs having alot of rides etc. I think the website for the carnival is still open so you can take a look along with list of all the many fairs in Iowa.
Welcome to Poweshiek County Fairgrounds
Association of Iowa Fairs | www.IowaFairs.com

I think the only problem I have with that theory is that I think she would have been found by now. The body wouldn’t be hidden, but just end up where the medical event happened, right?
Something's wrong with me I can't get it out of my head thinking back to Walter White from Breaking Bad TV series Walter said best and fastest ways to get rid of a body quickly is acid or feed to pigs. I pray this is not what happened to her .

Her body hasn't been located -- it takes a lot of effort to move and conceal a body. You would probably only move a body if you were a local resident and knew that the location of the crime would tip off LE about who did it. LE's pleas for information may relate to the time it took to conceal the body -- was a family member, friend, or co-worker unexpectedly gone for an unusual amount of time during the time frame that Mollie went missing?

Remember how quickly Mickey Schunick was grabbed by her killer Brandon Scott Laverne while riding home on her bike at night. He did a smash and grab into her bike with his truck. She sure fought for her life even managed to stab him. Please gals don't jog, walk, run, bike at night alone especially in a rural unlighted area. Always carry pepper spray with you .

Exactly. There was a girl in the town I grew up in in the 70's who walked one block to the grocery store in the middle of the day, and literally vanished without a trace on the walk back (she was seen leaving the store and crossing the crosswalk to her block), abducted in seconds. She has never been found.

I don't have an iPhone, but do you have to unlock it before you can give Siri a command? If the phone was on her arm she may not have had time before it was taken from her or she was incapacitated.
If she has the iPhone X then she would just have to say “hey Siri” but even in that situation it would be difficult, being that she would have been under duress.

Something's wrong with me I can't get it out of my head thinking back to Walter White from Breaking Bad TV series Walter said best and fastest ways to get rid of a body quickly is acid or feed to pigs.
The second just raises such a vivid picture, shudder.

Rare but has a interesting and sad history on this continent.

@wary said:
How do we know she got home safe from jogging?

In my experience here and elsewhere, I find the most difficult and misunderstood concept in computer and mobile forensics is the "digital timestamp." Accordingly, I'm quite confident that the initial idea put forth by LE that Mollie worked on homework late in the evening (i.e., inferring homework after 7:30 pm run) is most likely an incomplete analysis, or misinterpretation of the "digital timestamp." Whereas understanding the Epoch, Unix, UTC, encoding of digital analysis is beyond the scope of this post, it's suffice to say the computational systems that create digital timestamps nearly always differ or drift from real-world time. (And just to make it more complicated, the University server/cloud adds yet another layer of difficulty to establish the timestamp).

I believe Mollie took care of the dogs and worked on homework between 5:30 pm -7:30 pm-ish; left BF house for her run intending to eventually end her jog at Mum's house where she'd enjoy a brat, and collect the car, but met up with danger before she arrived at Mum's place. I think she disappeared in her running clothes, and the red camp t-shirt and contact lenses irrelevant. It's becoming too difficult for me to watch this shattered family endure one more PC, and truly hope this nightmare comes to an end for them very soon.
That's been pretty much my belief too. I tend to think of 12-5 pm to be afternoon, 5-7 pm evening, and 7 pm-5 am night. Of course, not everybody defines things the same way that I do. I'm still not totally convinced that the abduction didn't happen in front of the hardware store either. I know it's a long shot, but he could have waited for her to come by, stuck out a foot and tripped her or just hit her when she got to him, and then grabbed her and thrown her into his car while she was disoriented. It would have only taken a minute or two, and had anyone shown up, he could just say he thought she was hurt and was going to give her a ride home ((or to a hospital, whatever.) If her head had hit the door hard enough to break the glass like that, she might have been out for a short time too, giving him time to bound and gag her before she even realized what was happening. MOO

I am just getting up to speed on this, saw the NBC news tonight with the video clip of the hog farmer's snotty, evasive comments. My hink meter started going off. No wonder they went back a second time. Just may be the usual rural'keep out of my business' thing but I sensed there might be something there.
You and me both. I think an arrest is coming soon. IMO

Exactly. There was a girl in the town I grew up in in the 70's who walked one block to the grocery store in the middle of the day, and literally vanished without a trace on the walk back (she was seen leaving the store and crossing the crosswalk to her block), abducted in seconds. She has never been found.

Too many like that, but we are in a new age with social media and Fitbit data tracking, and familial DNA. If this case is solved, it will likely be due to where the digital data led. That’s my hope. Not just her’s, but the perp’s, too. Even in rural towns.

Her body hasn't been located -- it takes a lot of effort to move and conceal a body. You would probably only move a body if you were a local resident and knew that the location of the crime would tip off LE about who did it. LE's pleas for information may relate to the time it took to conceal the body -- was a family member, friend, or co-worker unexpectedly gone for an unusual amount of time during the time frame that Mollie went missing?
We have absolutely no information to this effect. But it’s something that LE will definitely be looking into.

No you do not have to unlock the phone to make a phone call with Siri... I do it all the time. If I'm in the kitchen cooking dinner and my phone is nearby I just tell it to call whomever I want from my contacts and it does so... it's pretty nifty.

Hmm. OK. I still don't think she would have had time. I don't think anyone thinks, in the absolute panic and terror of being attacked and/or abducted, to say, "Siri, call 911." I think they scream, fight, kick, and then are probably knocked out or otherwise incapacitated. I know I wouldn't have the presence of mind in those few seconds to give the phone a command.

Bigfoot is probably not the answer to this case, but there are many groups who believe that something like this exists in the woods. I don't see any reason to mock another member's thoughts and ideas.
How sad for this young woman. Has she been identified? Was it murder?

I feel badly that no one is paying much attention to her death, not to take anything away from Mollie's disappearance, but it's tragic for any young woman to be found dead alongside a lonely road.
That level of interest in her might change if for some reason that case is linked to what is going on with MT? We simply don't know. But what are the chances of two people the same age and gender having something happen to them in close geographic proximity? Sounds far fetched, sure, but what are the odds of this happening? Especially when the State list of missing people didn't have all that many people in this age bracket listed (she could be from out of area and not on State list too).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member