Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, good finds, Pixie Dust.

“Michaela Cook was reported missing to the Dubuque PD, in Dubuque on Jul 08, 2018.“

“Selena Hernandez was reported missing to the Council Bluffs PD, in Council Bluffs on Jul 30, 2018.”

—-looking to see if they have threads here.
—-eta: not seeing any, but sometimes I can miss them somehow as I’ve posted duplicate threads in the past.

I couldn't find any, either, but I'm several hours past my bedtime and my eyes are blurring up...

I have three older sisters - LE would have a hard time convincing me not to look on my own for them - BUT - if LE proved to me that it was in the best interest of finding them - I'd do my best to go along - at least for a while.
Agreed! You would have to refrain at this point with so much LE involved. But I grew up on a town in Kansas that was about the size of Brooklyn. And I can tell you that the dads and brothers involved in this type of scenario would have shook down every known weirdo in a 50 mile radius before LE ever arrived on scene. Really! And in a small town, everyone knows who the strange birds are and many are even related to those strange ones. So I know exactly what you’re saying.

If LE is so sure she is a crime victim...the “why Mollie is missing” question makes no sense. They asked it more than once, of the public.
There are several possibilities. They aren’t sure. They don’t want to say “kidnapping” for some reason. They don’t want to reveal how much they actually know, perhaps to make a POI feel comfortable. All we can do is speculate though.

You’re referring to a spree (killer). Yes it does happen, but it is not the norm to not have a cooling off period.

I do find it curious as to why the Miner police chief said he believed the suspect there had "likely done this before". If they have some reason to believe independently from the MT case that their guy has a pattern of doing this, it only makes it more suspicious IMO.

Even if the first attempt was unsuccessful? Perhaps that's why this hypothetical kidnapper drove over 400 miles to another state before he tried again. Just being devil's advocate here, I'm usually the last person in the world to turn to a "serial" anything theory, maybe it's just because it's late here.

I agree, if the 1st attempt were unsuccessful the perp would know he's been reported and that LE is looking for him in the first area so it's more than likely that he would "get out of dodge" and maybe even get to a different state.

Last edited:
Certainly it's possible - but what (seemingly) very well grounded 20 year old girl with - a great future/career ahead, boyfriend of 3 years, loving and close family, trip to DR, etc, etc takes a pass and goes where? And why?????

The runaway bride for one. Jennifer Wilbanks Old case file. Had a beautiful life! Leanne Bearden hung herself! She had everything.

It happens.

I would disagree that a 6 year old hasn’t yet developed any street smarts, and also I would say that Oakland is only one of the places she’s been that she would have developed them. The point is, she’s lived more places than a small town where people felt safe, and her parents have as well, so I imagine she isn’t unaware of personal safety best practices as simple as it walking alone in the middle of the night across town. Just speculating, since that’s all we can do with the info we have...

Do you have a source for this by any chance?
I am brand new to the sight and don't know how to do that yet, but it was discussed at great length, back in threads 3, 4, 5 and more but I'm sure someone else more experienced could find it faster, , I will go back and try to find something. It was back in the beginning, but it was debated so much i wouldnt know where to look first. I just tried to summarize it for you so you wouldnt have to spend a long time looking back at the threads

I absolutely do. And I don’t think she anticipated how big of a deal this would become. She’s scared to death now of the backlash and ramifications if she just comes home. And whoever provided her ride out of town is terrified too.
I hope you're right, Sharon. I really do.

That said, the pain on her father's face is a dagger to my heart every single time he's on camera. By all accounts she and her father were very close. If I can see and feel the pain her father is experiencing - and I don't even know him - I just can't imagine that Mollie would put her dad through this.

Her family has described her as being very empathetic, that she's very sympathetic to the sadness felt by other people. I just can't believe she would do this to her family voluntarily. I just don't but I respect the fact that you do. And, again, I really hope you're right.

If the 1st attempt were unsuccessful the perp would know he's been reported and that LE is looking for him in the first area so it's more than likely that he would "get out of dodge" and maybe even get to a different state.
Also migration can be part the pattern of escalation, increased confidence etc iirc, looking for link:

Eta:

“Myth: All serial murderers travel and operate interstate.

Most serial killers have very defined geographic areas of operation. They conduct their killings within comfort zones that are often defined by an anchor point (e.g. place of residence, employment, or residence of a relative). Serial murderers will, at times, spiral their activities outside of their comfort zone, when their confidence has grown through experience or to avoid detection. Very few serial murderers travel interstate to kill.

The few serial killers who do travel interstate to kill fall into a few categories:

• Itinerant individuals who move from place to place.
• Homeless individuals who are transients.
• Individuals whose employment lends itself to interstate or transnational travel, such as truck drivers or those in military service.

The difference between these types of offenders and other serial murderers is the nature of their traveling lifestyle, which provides them with many zones of comfort in which to operate.“

Serial Murder

——-

Which brings me to another great article I seem to end up posting a lot on websleuths, re: “Awareness space” from Jessica R’s Case, definitely worth a read imo for those who haven’t seen it already:

Jessica Ridgeway: Killer’s ‘awareness space’ may lead to clues
http://www.boulderweekly.com/news/j...-lsquoawareness-spacersquo-may-lead-to-clues/

Last edited:
Agreed! You would have to refrain at this point with so much LE involved. But I grew up on a town in Kansas that was about the size of Brooklyn. And I can tell you that the dads and brothers involved in this type of scenario would have shook down every known weirdo in a 50 mile radius before LE ever arrived on scene. Really! And in a small town, everyone knows who the strange birds are and many are even related to those strange ones. So I know exactly what you’re saying.

Couldn't agree more!

If LE convinces me their way is the right way because of X, Y and Z - I will be their huckleberry.

I would certainly advocate for checking the town thoroughly - at a minimum - how else could I sleep at night ?

I'm in quiet albeit strong admiration of MT's family, boyfriend and friends - no words can properly express the hell they are going through!!!!

I've been wondering what happens to the $240,000, if no one receives the reward. I believe the laws are different in each state for this?

That Miner incident feels incredibly significant.
  • Female jogger
  • Black vehicle
  • Small Midwestern town with a population under 1,500
  • Incidents occurred a little over 24 hours apart
I know a serial kidnapper seems far-fetched, but these are some very big consequences if they're not related.

And now compare it to this one which happened about an hour due west on I-80 from Brooklyn. Ankeny police seek man who allegedly approached, chased girl
  • Girl walking her dog
  • Black SUV
  • Population 58K+
  • July 27

If LE is so sure she is a crime victim...the “why Mollie is missing” question makes no sense. They asked it more than once, of the public.

I interpreted this question as:

Does anyone know anyone who would want Mollie to be "missing"?

Have you heard of anyone who speaks of Mollie in a negative/hateful way? Have you witnessed this?

Is there anyone she felt threatened by?

Did Mollie speak of anyone she felt uncomfortable with?

Is there someone you know or are close to who has mentioned Mollie in an angry way - someone who has felt "spurned" by her?

We are asking those who know Mollie to come forward and tell us the reason(s) why you think Mollie is "missing".

Just my interpretation of the meaning of that question. To prompt responses.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right. You’re going to get torched for saying it, but you’re absolutely right.

Torched? I don't think so. What makes Mollie different from so many others is that it can be ruled out that Mollie ran away. She was preparing to attend a family wedding in the Dominican Republic in a matter of days. She had just ordered a passport, so clearly she hasn't done a lot of traveling. She had a job to do in the morning and was especially needed because of the field trip. She was a responsible young woman with goals, dreams, responsibilities, and a life to live. It is obvious that she was abducted. The fact that this happened without a trace makes it a bigger concern.

Because there is another unsolved abduction of young women and girls within an hour of Brooklyn, which also involved the FBI, it is really important that the cases are compared and analyzed. The FBI needs to figure out what they are dealing with: one predator, or two random unrelated events.

Some have speculated that a mature looking 10 year old girl and a 5'3" 20 year old would never appeal to the same predator. I disagree. There are examples of predators who preferred young women, but targeted girls first simply because they are easier to abduct.

I’ve been involved in suicide cases .... more than not.. the victim has googled and researched how to successfully do it either by hanging, overdose or gunshot. If they have her computer im sure these types of searches would have been discovered by now .

I've posted in a previous thread that I thought MT went missing after 9:45 pm. Then I thought she never returned to home after her early evening run. I think her run included a path to retrieve the vehicle but she never got to complete that part of her journey. The question would then become: how far along was MT in her journey to her mother's house before the event occurred?
That's a key question that has yet to be answered. LE's insistence that they have the timeline nailed down, would indicate that they know the answer to that question, as where and when she went off the radar is a crucial part of this mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18