Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone wants to read through it, I wonder if Brooklyn or other areas near there have Nextdoor.

Nextdoor is a site where people ask about lost dogs, strange things in the neighborhood, people to do different jobs, stuff for sale and whatever else.

Maybe someone wrote about something unusual on there

Suppose once LE has her texts, they see that her final exchange was with a male acquaintance asking to meet up to talk/tell her something/whatever. She agrees. LE grabs this guy, he either denies they actually met, that she never showed, or that they met, but he left her by i,e 8pm whatever and she was fine.

This could be a standoff for years if not forever, if the person had never made any threats to Mollie prior, and never confessed to more than seeing her briefly that evening. Being the last known to see someone can’t be enough for an arrest...especially with apparently no proof she was killed or even injured.

I am having a lot of trouble seeing how many here expect an arrest to come soon...what would it be based on? If no one saw her being taken and no proof shows she was harmed...where can LE be at this point? Jmo

The situation you describe is a common one: i.e., the police have a suspect but not enough proof to make an arrest. The bar for making an arrest keeps getting higher; that's one reason why one third of all murders go unsolved in the US (compared to only one tenth fifty-some-odd years ago).

Open Cases: Why One-Third Of Murders In America Go Unresolved

I agree. It’s either a big coincidence that a stranger picked the perfect time to abduct her, or the situation (nobody home) has significance in regard to a friend or acquaintance knowing this fact, and taking advantage of it. Unfortunately, we can only speculate if this fact has significance or not.

BBM: MG, it strikes me that this single sentence could be used to describe virtually everything we know (or think we know) right now about MT's disappearance.

O.K. everyone rant alert!

It is rare for me to rant, but I am really disappointed by seeing references to Mollie's videos, social media posts, etc. that question what she is wearing, her flirtatiousness, etc.
Give it a break! This is a lovely 20 year old girl acting like a 20 year old. Mollie is missing and most likely deceased, unless there is a miracle. Can we forget about her shorts or batting eyelashes or whatever else normal 20 year olds do on video and social media?

Let's FIND Mollie, not critique her outfits or fun loving behavior. I think she comes off as an absolutely lovely, normal young 20 year old. I don't like the inferences being made.

Rant over. Thank you for letting me express this opinion.

I am only guessing here that you may be referring to something I just posted on the last thread in regards to my response to someone who posted about snapchat. I did in fact tell of my own daughter's and her friends uses of it and my initial reaction to learning of it. Yes, I was shocked because I was not aware it was such a "trend" amung young people.

If it was my post you are referring to I am in no way judging or insinuating anything about one's character just as I mentioned in the post. I included that there are church going girls from good families who are also participating in this as a guide to let older people reading this (I'm 60) that this stuff is very common and accepted in young people circles and college campuses these days. That the people that do this are NOT "bad girls" rather run the entire spectrum and it is common. If I did not make that clear enough there I will again. Not judging.

I grew up in the 70's. There is not much out there that makes me blush and I didn't here either. I was however extremely surprised that society has gotten to a place where "norms" have evolved. I hope I make myself clear here as I am NOT judging simply bringing up a reality of what life can be for young people these days. I think if you ask any 20 year old today they would tell you the same thing. It is the openess of it all that has only changed. Every generation pushes the limits and becomes less self concious about things that would have caused serious issues with say my parents generation. I for one could not care less. I've spoken with my own daughter about it and she has been very open with me about it. She is aware of what happened to her friend and it is something she has discussed among her own friends.

O.K. everyone rant alert!

It is rare for me to rant, but I am really disappointed by seeing references to Mollie's videos, social media posts, etc. that question what she is wearing, her flirtatiousness, etc.
Give it a break! This is a lovely 20 year old girl acting like a 20 year old. Mollie is missing and most likely deceased, unless there is a miracle. Can we forget about her shorts or batting eyelashes or whatever else normal 20 year olds do on video and social media?

Let's FIND Mollie, not critique her outfits or fun loving behavior. I think she comes off as an absolutely lovely, normal young 20 year old. I don't like the inferences being made.

Rant over. Thank you for letting me express this opinion.

Much oblige that you did. I agree completely, roses. Mollie is everything one would want in a daughter, sister, friend, cousin, camp counselor... That video depicts who she was beautifully right before she went missing. I recall her dad saying something about how Mollie liked being silly and that he missed it.

For those still in the stranger abduction court, can you explain why? Also, by stranger abduction, I mean absolute stranger, not attack or grab and run... not someone she’d seen or spoken to a couple of times and would feel ok taking a “friendly ride” from. I just feel that this isn’t an absolute stranger, just like dad said, someone thought something... felt something... probably inaccurately, and got in over their head. But without more info, I’m open to possibilities, so stranger abduction folks, what does your gut say?

I am one of those who does not think it's a stranger at all. Someone on the peripheral of people she knew or knew of. My favourite is the alleged LE type who approached her at the library about the missing/lost child who would have likely asked her for ID and asked where she was from, etc and stalked her after that. Who knows how long this person had been watching her before she was approached about the alleged missing/lost child? Waited til the right moment came after tracking her online. Possibly from a nearby community or had family in the area or was well-known himself. Possibly an outstanding high school athlete or had a well-known last name that wouldn't arouse suspicion in any way if he was in the area.

My spitballs are now the size of say, Jupiter.

For those still in the stranger abduction court, can you explain why? Also, by stranger abduction, I mean absolute stranger, like immediate attack or grab and run... not someone she’d seen or spoken to a couple of times and would feel ok taking a “friendly ride” from. I just feel that this isn’t an absolute stranger, just like dad said, someone thought something... felt something... probably inaccurately, and got in over their head. But without more info, I’m open to possibilities, so stranger abduction folks, what does your gut say?

My gut says she was snatched quickly during her evening run by a stranger. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The carnival was in town, which brings criminals who can't get a job elsewhere because of their records, so I think it was somebody working the carnival (could also be whoever broke into the house down the road from her). Although, firstresponder mentioned, what if she was clipped by a car, stumbled around hurt and died in a field. That sounds plausible.

BBM: MG, it strikes me that this single sentence could be used to describe virtually everything we know (or think we know) right now about MT's disappearance.
Yup, absolutely correct. Assumption after assumption, based on vague information that may or may not be factually correct.

I must have missed that part of the discussion, thankfully! Forgive me if this is a repeat but one thing that stood out to me in the video in the gym is that she may be wearing a pink sports bra. Could it be the same one she ran with? Could this suggest she wears it regularly both to work and when running?

If so, the fact that it is missing may not be just because it happened on her jog. MOO.
I think she wouldn’t wear one she previously ran in the night before the next day with out washing it. Plus the pants would be at the house. I would assume she may wear a clean one to work if she plans on running after though.

Why does everyone state she was dogsitting as if she only stayed there to watch the dogs.

I think she was going to stay there regardless of the dogs being there or not.

OMG! Dexter! Great to see you! Big hug!

I agree with you both. And to rosesforangel's point, her mom had mentioned how Mollie was so looking forward to the wedding trip in one MSM interview last week. She seemed approving and supportive of their relationship, as she stated being excited for them.

Last edited:
For those still in the stranger abduction court, can you explain why? Also, by stranger abduction, I mean absolute stranger, like immediate attack or grab and run... not someone she’d seen or spoken to a couple of times and would feel ok taking a “friendly ride” from. I just feel that this isn’t an absolute stranger, just like dad said, someone thought something... felt something... probably inaccurately, and got in over their head. But without more info, I’m open to possibilities, so stranger abduction folks, what does your gut say?

I just feel like this was someone who was comfortable in the area and known in someway, even if the most casual of ways, by Mollie. Someone who would arouse zero scrutiny. And someone within 10 years in age of her. If anyone saw Mollie talking to this person, there would be zero red flags.

The situation you describe is a common one: i.e., the police have a suspect but not enough proof to make an arrest. The bar for making an arrest keeps getting higher; that's one reason why one third of all murders go unsolved in the US (compared to only one tenth fifty-some-odd years ago).

Open Cases: Why One-Third Of Murders In America Go Unresolved

Hi, Ozoner, agree with the above, with this distinction: I would substitute the word "unprosecuted" for unsolved. I think that there a LOT of murders that go unprosecuted, despite the fact that they really have been "solved," i.e., police and/or the public know who did it, but DAs don't think there's enough evidence to win at trial. Again, that's just my take. JMO, IMHO, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I know I shouldn't do it, I've been thinking again. If what's been said about her runs being about 45 minutes, I think the maps I've seen (including my own) have to have longer routes. The average running speed for a female is right around 10 mpm (6 mph), but accounting for her breathing problems and having already put in a day at work, I'm estimating her at closer to 5 mph; that would make it an average run of about 3.75 miles. Most of our maps have been about 2 miles, which makes me wonder where she'd go for the extra mile +. I hope my math is up to par today!

Just so nobody has to ask, my source for the average speed is:
Average Running Speed and Tips for Improving Your Pace

Last edited:
Hi, Ozoner, agree with the above, with this distinction: I would substitute the word "unprosecuted" for unsolved. I think that there a LOT of murders that go unprosecuted, despite the fact that they really have been "solved," i.e., police and/or the public know who did it, but DAs don't think there's not enough evidence to win at trial. Again, that's just my take. JMO, IMHO, etc.
Absolutely. Knowing someone committed a crime is very different from being able to prove it in court.

Man, things were a lot easier for LE when police could just round up the usual suspects and beat a false-confession out of the most sorry looking of em.

Starting to think someone with a lot to lose is responsible for making Mollie disappear. She may have discovered something while she was all alone at the house. Perhaps she alerted the wrong person, never assuming things would take an ugly turn. I just don’t believe in coincidences, especially not in this case. MOO

Dad is desperately hoping that Mollie is with someone who knows her one way or another, and who is less likely to harm her because he cares about her. That hope has nothing to do with what actually happened.

There is no trace of where she was abducted, when it happened, why it happened, and who did it. If she was abducted by someone with whom she she had prior contact, investigators would have tracked that down and they would have something of a lead. As it looks, the only lead is a digital signature near Guernsey, and we know that has nothing to do with a prior relationship with anyone. I think it's also safe to assume that the lead has nothing to do with the location of Mollie.

Although I know I shouldn't do it, I've been thinking again. If what's been said about her runs being about 45 minutes, I think the maps I've seen (including my own) have to have longer routes. The average running speed for a female is right around 10 mpm (6 mph), but accounting for her breathing problems and having already put in a day at work, I'm estimating her at closer to 5 mph; that would make it an average run of about 3.75 miles. Most of our maps have been about 2 miles, which makes me wonder where she'd go for the extra mile +. I hope my math is up t par today!

Just so nobody has to ask, my source for the average speed is:
Average Running Speed and Tips for Improving Your Pace

Maybe she went to her old high school sometimes and ran around the track there. It looks like a nice track and it's between the two houses, so... not out of the way much.

I no longer think this was a stranger. I have a strong suspicion who it involved. And I don't think she's alive, though really really wishing she was. Feel so sad right now. I hope you all are having an okay weekend & it's not too hot. 100 here. EDIT: MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes