Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will learn a lot about what is or isn't said at the PC on Monday. I'm really not sure that they are very much farther along then they were a couple of weeks ago and had the digital data to assist in the investigation.
MOO

Dad is desperately hoping that Mollie is with someone who knows her one way or another, and who is less likely to harm her because he cares about her. That hope has nothing to do with what actually happened.

There is no trace of where she was abducted, when it happened, why it happened, and who did it. If she was abducted by someone with whom she she had prior contact, investigators would have tracked that down and they would have something of a lead. As it looks, the only lead is a digital signature near Guernsey, and we know that has nothing to do with a prior relationship with anyone. I think it's also safe to assume that the lead has nothing to do with the location of Mollie.

As I said, even if they “know”...what can they do without evidence of harm or a confession?

The fact that the perp is most likley local, imo, is even more reason why LE won’t be telling the family anything. I can imagine the family might be tempted to seek justice themselves if they can’t be arrested.

Last edited:
I think we will learn a lot about what is or isn't said at the PC on Monday. I'm really not sure that they are very much farther along then they were a couple of weeks ago and had the digital data to assist in the investigation.
MOO
I'm hoping they have a whole lot of info we don't know about. I haven't followed many cases here on WS, but the ones I have we were in the dark until all of a sudden, there was an arrest and lots of info we were missing.

If anyone wants to read through it, I wonder if Brooklyn or other areas near there have Nextdoor.

Nextdoor is a site where people ask about lost dogs, strange things in the neighborhood, people to do different jobs, stuff for sale and whatever else.

Maybe someone wrote about something unusual on there

This post reminds me that in other cases persons (WS) also searched craigslist or fb marketplace for vehicles for sale, expecting the perp may want to get rid of a vehicle which may have evidence. It is three weeks now and the reverberations are widening, IMO.
jmo

Sorry I think I need my own rant now. I apologize in advance for anyone who might be offended by my comments because they are not meant to offend ANYONE.

We are discussing the disappearance of a pretty, sweet and healthy 20 year old girl from a small town who happens to also be a college student in 2018. There are pages and pages of people opining on how someone she does not know or possibly is aware of but does not know well could approach her and take her. Again, this is 2018 and we live in a social media driven society which further complicates and in all honesty, endangers the safety of our young people.

Since this is the case and social media is being discussed here IG, Twitter, FB, SC etc, it is very apparent that MT was socially media savvy. I do not know a person that age male or female who is in fact NOT that way. Look around you and all you see are people on their phones every place you go. It is even more prevelent among younger people. So that IS a factor to be considered in this case and to deny that certain things happen or choose not to believe it and claim it is character assasination is not helpful to an OPEN discussion of the challenges LE has in solving this case and any other case where a young person is involved.

I will stick my neck out here and even say that every 20 year old person today is aware of Tinder and how it is used. I live in a multi college area and my daughter's friends range in age from 19-25. College aged students. My daughter is in college. Every one of them has played on Tinder creating false account out of CURIOSITY. They are 20 for goodness sakes and are curious! I have no doubt at that age if it were available I myself would have been curious enough to make a fake account to try it out. These girls do it for fun and laugh about their results together. These are not skid row, trashy girls, they are wonderful girls from wealthy families for the most part. Just curious.

To think that small town Iowa is different then small town anywhere else USA is wrong. My town has less then 400 people yet my kids were all aware of dating sites etc and used them. As their parent I certainly am not trashing my own children am I? Of course not so to suggest that IS another area to look into in regards to MT is 100% on topic and a necessary discussion to have in attempting to ascertain how someone young COULD be put into a vulnerable situation that goes out of control.

Mods please feel free to delete the post if you think it is irrelevant, but I happen to believe it IS very relevant and discussing it is a factor in this investigation. It appears some people are not comfortable even considering the possibility here but that certainly does not make it any less likely that is could have occured. I will guarantee the FBI that has far more experience then any of us do in attempting to locate missing 20 year olds is in fact looking very closely at this very topic for this very thing.

I am a realist who is open and honest to discussing all REALISTIC possibilities and this IS one....

Rant over...

Last edited:
Okay this is making me mental. The pink coat, missing/lost child of 17Nov17 Mollie tweeted about. No one has found anything concrete about this. 17 Nov was a Friday; remind me again what time she tweeted this? I ask because until I was ten, I pretty much attended Michigan State with my mamma, who got her doctorate and was in education. I still make jokes that I went to State as a child but I was in the university sponsored children's center. She worked full time as a teacher then, and her classes were always late afternoon/early evening unless it was summer. Also, I never went to the library alone or a bus alone or was allowed to wander anywhere alone. So, a six to ten year old lost/missing on the campus stinks to high heaven to me.

Much oblige that you did. I agree completely, roses. Mollie is everything one would want in a daughter, sister, friend, cousin, camp counselor... That video depicts who she was beautifully right before she went missing. I recall her dad saying something about how Mollie liked being silly and that he missed it.
Agreed. As a parent, and an educator, I can Mollie is the type of young woman that we strive to raise. What a blessing she is to her family, friends, and acquaintances. I just pray that they will be able to enjoy her company again soon.

Sorry I think I need my own rant now. I apologize in advance for anyone who might be offended by my comments because they are not meant to offend ANYONE.

We are discussing the disappearance of a pretty, sweet and healthy 20 year old girl from a small town who happens to also be a college student in 2018. There are pages and pages of people opining on how someone she does not know or possibly is aware of but does not know well could approach her and take her. Again, this is 2018 and we live in a social media driven society which further complicates and in all honesty, endangers the safety of our young people.

Since this is the case and social media is being discussed here IG, Twitter, FB, SC etc, it is very apparent that MT was socially media savvy. I do not know a person that age male or female who is in fact NOT that way. Look around you and all you see are people on their phones every place you go. It is even more prevelent among younger people. So that IS a factor to be considered in this case and to deny that certain things happen or choose not to believe it and claim it is character assasination is not helpful to an OPEN discussion of the challenges LE has in solving this case and any other case where a young person is involved.

I will stick my neck out here and even say that every 20 year old person today is aware of Tinder and how it is used. I live in a multi college area and my daughter's friends range in age from 19-25. College aged students. My daughter is in college. Every one of them has played on Tinder creating false account out of CURIOSITY. They are 20 for goodness sakes and are curious! I have no doubt at that age if it were available I myself would have been curious enough to make a fake account to try it out. These girls do it for fun and laugh about their results together. These are not skid row girls, they are girls from wealthy families for the most part. Just curious.

To think that small town Iowa is different then small town anywhere else USA is wrong. My town has less then 400 people yet my kids were all aware of dating sites etc and used them. As their parent I certainly am not trashing my own children am I? Of course not so to suggest that IS another area to look into in regards to MT is 100% on topic and a necessary discussion to have in attempting to ascertain how someone young COULD be put into a vulnerable situation that goes out of control.

Mods please feel free to delete the post if you think it is irrelevant, but I happen to believe it IS irrelevant and discussing it is a factor in this investigation. I will guarantee the FBI that has far more experience then any of us do in attempting to locate missing 20 year olds is in fact looking very closely at this very topic for this very thing.

Rant over...

Well said. Thanks for being real.

I just watched a show about the search and ultimate murder of Meredith Emerson. She was abducted but not murdered for 4 days. You could see the anguish on the face of the investigator they were interviewing talking about how every day even 10 years later he thinks about how she was alive while they were looking and they didn’t get there in time. While I truly hope Mollie is alive, if she’s not I hope she has been gone all this time. I can’t imagine what it would be like for her family (and LE) to not just deal with losing her but also knowing they could have saved her.

Dad is desperately hoping that Mollie is with someone who knows her one way or another, and who is less likely to harm her because he cares about her. That hope has nothing to do with what actually happened.

There is no trace of where she was abducted, when it happened, why it happened, and who did it. If she was abducted by someone with whom she she had prior contact, investigators would have tracked that down and they would have something of a lead. As it looks, the only lead is a digital signature near Guernsey, and we know that has nothing to do with a prior relationship with anyone. I think it's also safe to assume that the lead has nothing to do with the location of Mollie.
I agree with you to an extent. I know we don’t have anything said by LE about when or where she went missing. I would like to hear statistics about adult stranger abductions however. It just seems more unlikely than someone she had met previously and offered a ride or whatever.

Happy Hello All,

I am trying to catch up. Found these on the last thread and didn't find much discussion, I wonder if there are folks who have a better understanding of this sort of construction project? or any of the specifics where Poweshiek's North English Project goes?

Moved from last thread:

JenniferMN wrote: "I am intrigued by the wind farm project that was brought up and the pdf that was posted showing the location of the turbines. The project is quite large and is not too far from Brooklyn. I would have to imagine if that project is currently in the works, it would bring in many temp/contracted employees from outside of the area. I work for a company that provides skilled labor and often when we send employees out on projects hotels get filled up quickly and sometimes we have to go several towns over to find vacancy.
The hotel in Brooklyn would likely be utilized by these workers. I am just brainstorming on what would bring someone to Brooklyn if this was a stranger abduction. If you were living in a hotel it'd be reasonable that you might go driving around in your off time looking for things to do, places to eat, etc."

Here is an article I found in the DesMoines Paper. I am clipping a sentence or two because I wonder if they are relevant to Mollie's disappearance. The article was from last Nov.

North English Wind Project sold

"Over the next 40 years, the North English Wind Project is expected to pay approximately $137 million to Poweshiek County in property taxes, and approximately $114 million to landowners in the form of rent payments. Additional economic benefits include more than 100 temporary construction related jobs and 12 to 15 permanent local jobs."

The TEMPORARY CONSTRUCTION related JOBS caught my eye. I wondered if perhaps either DJ or BJ worked there or if any of their friends did and perhaps this led to Mollie's meeting someone? Maybe recognized someone because of a truck logo or because she knew the person (not well but slightly) on sight only through a connection with that project?

Did these temporary construction jobs bring new folks there? How do companies hire for these sorts of projects? Do they run any sort of background checks? Are the local police involved or notified -

And here is a question out of left field - could a sex offender take a temp job anywhere in our country and his profile would continue to show his permanent address only?

Where exactly is that project?

I too am very intrigued about that Poweshiek Wind Project. Would like to understand better the details. Anyone?

West Liberty Police Department holds a self-defense class for women

Police Chief Kary Kinmonth says a lot of people asked them to train women to defend for themselves after the disappearance of Mollie Tibbetts. The University of Iowa student has been missing for almost a month.

He explains, “With Mollie Tibbetts, the unknown disappearance, what's going on with that, we've had a lot of people that have contacted my office and they're asking for, what can we do, what can we do to be safer."

Note: West Liberty is one hour east of Brooklyn.

<snipped for emphasis>
If she was abducted by someone with whom she she had prior contact, investigators would have tracked that down and they would have something of a lead. As it looks, the only lead is a digital signature near Guernsey, and we know that has nothing to do with a prior relationship with anyone. I think it's also safe to assume that the lead has nothing to do with the location of Mollie.

BBM- do we know that for sure? MOO.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Knowing someone committed a crime is very different from being able to prove it in court.
I'm starting to think that way. Would be one explanation for LE's silence -- not asking for help find to find a certain type of vehicle, not putting out a general description of a strange person seen in the area, nothing. I'm starting to think they're keeping a very, very close eye on someone, waiting to get enough proof to satisfy prosecutors and, possibly, waiting for the person to screw up -- say the wrong thing on an eavesdrop, drive past the crime/dump scene, try to flee, confess, do a Google search about how long it takes for a body to decompose, etc.

LE also could be thinking that surveillance/waiting might lead them to MT or her body. A body isn't necessary for prosecution, but it definitely helps, so police would want to find it -- for their case as well as for the family's sake.

What could a person be charged with if MT or her body isn't found? A good prosecutor could find something, for now. Heck, simply lying to an FBI agent is a crime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members