Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned the router logs and law enforcement being able to see the last time that one of her devices was connected to WiFi. My question (and it may be a really stupid one) is.......can they tell which device it was connected to? For instance, if my phone is dead but I’m using my iPad would they be able to see that I was on my iPad and not my phone? If that’s possible then would they know if anyone else was connected to the Router too? Say a friend stopped by and their phone connected to the WiFi automatically, is there any way to see that? I know it’s a stretch, and they would have to either have no password on their WiFi or the person would have had to be connected To their router before and still have the login info stored in their phone (possible if it was a friend who had visited in the past). Another thought........ I know that my phone has an app that allows me to connect automatically to different WiFi signals that are with the same internet provider that I use for my home WiFi. It’s a free Mobil hotspots type service that we got with our cable/Internet service. Idk if that is sometching that most service providers offer or not.
I hope this makes sense. Im not great at explaining my thoughts sometimes.
Yes, they can tell. Each device would have it's own MAC address, and that would be recorded while it was connected. If the router is encoded, it wouldn't be accessible to just anybody, but an open service (like free WIFI at some restaurants, etc.) would allow anyone to use the service. If someone had their phone set up in the past to use the WIFI there, they could automatically use it later too, unless passwords were changed or they were manually blocked. MOO

Thanks! I question my thought process sometimes lol.

At least you have one and can express it clearly. LOL. I do the same all the time and am terrible at getting it out.

It's great to have so much interest and a fluid well considered flow of thoughts here for Mollie. Very encouraging to have so many new sleuthers of such good caliber posting.

Last edited:
Excellent analysis.

The only somewhat minor question I would raise is, "Why would the Fitbit (and the cell phone holder) be missing if she was abducted from the house?"

I would have thought she'd remove those soon after she walked in the door.

Unless of course, the perp was lying in wait inside an unlocked house with the dogs locked in the basement. But in this instance where did he park?
Reports have stated that she always wears her fitbit

Mom is aware of two t-shirts and they are both at her house. She can't speak to a third t-shirt.

"May not have been missing" is consistent with Mollies' mom's statement: she is aware of 2 t-shirts. She can account for both of them.
I still dont see the red herring

As far as the red shirts go, we don’t know for a fact one was missing. We also don’t know for a fact that the one that was reportedly found, was Mollie’s or not. DNA can potentially clear this up, but without further information, we can only guess as to its relevance to the case.

If she only had two like her mother thought, there was never one missing. Which would actually make the one found seem significant to me if it was the same kind as she was supposed to wear on the 19th.
So you think the perp planted it?

Many people wear their Fitbit all the time, not just while exercising. For this reason, that aspect isn’t relevant to me.
Okay,
I thought I read some Fitbit wearers think they are uncomfortable and remove them after running.
Perhaps I misunderstood and they were referring to the cell phone holder.
Would it have been reasonable for her to remove EITHER if she had settled in for the evening?
Apparently this is up for debate like so many other things about this case like how many red shirts are there.
Uncomfortable to wear? - Fitbit Community

Okay,
I thought I read some wearers think they are uncomfortable and remove them after running.
Perhaps I misunderstood and they were referring to the cell phone holder.
Would it have been reasonable for her to remove EITHER if she had settled in for the evening?
Apparently this is up for debate like so many other things about this case like how many red shirts are there.
Absolutely. Especially her phone armband or whatever type of phone holder she had.

Certainly possible. A daytime abduction would be more dangerous to the perpetrator, despite it being an early hour. It doesn’t explain her leaving her wallet though, as well as Mollie remaining in her jogging clothes.

Thank you, Stephen Smith. Great stuff. Your expertise is very welcome.

All of it seems plausible to me, except the part about feeding pets in middle of an abduction. This is all speculative and assuming a lot from a little on my part, but that's what we do here. I very much appreciate your contribution to the thread.

The dog were said to only be kept in the basement while everyone was away. I'm stuck on the idea that she may have been taken or tricked into a ride or a bite to eat, but more likely abducted, just as she was returning before she let the dogs loose or just as Mollie was getting ready to leave.

The perp may have wanted to dogs not to seem out of place possibly, so if anyone did come to check on Mollie that night somehow, they would have the impression she left willingly.

Was the snapchat received by DJ, if not sent by Mollie, a contingency too? If her brother for some reason came by to drop off the car and found Mollie missing, he'd contact DJ. DJ would see the snapchat and perhaps assume she's with a friend. What kind of digital hack could be involved with that snapchat?

A former thief once told me the one thing they don't like is unpredictability and loose dogs that can blindside them is the bane of their existence.

I agree about the dogs. I didn't know that information when I originally posted. Yes, I think that the dogs would pose an unnecessary hindrance to the abduction, and you are probably right that she was taken either just as she arrived back or just as she was leaving. I imagine that would be easiest time to abduct her.

Was it normal for Mollie to walk home to her Mother's at night? Correct me if if I am wrong, but my understanding was that she normally spent her nights at her bf's house.

With regard to the Snapchat, I think you may be crediting the abductork with having more knowledge of MTs life and relationships than he actually probably did.
But because you asked: In my there are only two people who would have had the motivation to send the Snapchat message- Either MT or her abductor. That said, the message would have had to originate from a device ultilized by one or the other. Let's look at each individually as well as the necessary components and knowledge one would have had to possess in order to send that message:
- Assuming that MT sends the message of her own free will, all she needs to do is snap a picture or choose an old picture, log into her account (if she not already logged in) and send it to her bf. Pretty simple.

- Assuming that the abductor sent the message from his phone from her account, he would need:

-A picture of Mt that looks like a selfie;

-to be able bypass two factor authentication in order to access MTs account (meaning he would have to have her device on hand to authenticate using the token sent to her email or phone number via SMS) and he would need to know MTs password;

- to know who to send the picture to.

Assuming that the abductor forced MT to send the message:
- this would be simple to do, but you are still assuming that he knows who the picture should be sent to to make it appear as though she is safe.

Any "hack" beyond these three scenarios becomes exponentially more complex and difficult for the lay person to pull off. Furthermore, in my mind the risk for the abductor to force Mollie to send a message at any time during the abduction far outweighs the reward, because he would run the risk of location data (IP address) being associated with the sent message. There is also the the high probability that if he were to force her to send the message she would have to use an old photo of herself, which would show up in the metadata of the photo and seem inauthentic once any tech forensic analyzed it. Finally, the scenario where he uses his device to send a message from her account is by far the riskiest, because in doing so he would essentially digitally link his device to hers at the exact time of the abduction and there would be a record of it both in her SMS messages and through her Snapchat account.

Honestly, I suppose anything is possible, but I have never questioned the authenticity of the Snapchat message, because I don't think it would make any sense for the abductor to waste his time in the midst of an abduction or to risk gifting vital information to the authorities.

So you think the perp planted it?
To avoid confusion, I'll add: If a red shirt was found...
It's possible, or someone else who owned some and thought it would be funny. The other possibility is that she really did have a third one her mother didn't know about, but I would think that her boss or coworkers would know if she'd recently gotten another one. I can only think of 2 reasons why the perp might have done it. One is that he wants her found, but I find that unlikely or he wouldn't have hidden her so well. The other reason I can come up with is to throw suspicion on someone else. If he did turn off her phone around that area, he may have been upset that nobody had been arrested (or at least named as a POI) so he threw it out there to get their attention back there. MOO

Last edited:
I wonder if there were any signs that she ate the night she disappearred. If she took her run, and decided against the Brats, then you would think their would be food wrappers or dirty dishes, or bags from eating out, or something to indicate she ate. I have never been a runner but I would assume if you were going to take a run in the evening early, you would eat "after" your run at some point. Were there signs that she made it back other then the alleged fact she did homework and the snap pic. This is just so perplexing. My son will keep his ear buds around his neck hanging for hours at times, so I am not shocked they would still be there if she had not showered yet after the run, but ...so much we don't know. (but they do, so lets hope they have someone in their sights...or at least a good timeline of her events that evening). Looking at the video provided by a fellow sleuther I find it looks very similar to where I live honestly, we have many strangers come to town due to the windfarms, pipeline, and harvest. But its a bit early for harvest. Is there pipeline action there? Windfarms? Things that bring in transient workers? Just thinking outloud here. If she has passed away there is a good chance that she will be found at harvest. I must ask anyone local to the area, do you have a lot of hunting during the seasons? They too will be coming soon. We had a young lady in NE Colorado that went missing, they searched and searched for her, it took I think like two years before someone finally happened upon her. Kayla Chadwick. In rural areas its so vast and so remote it takes luck sometimes to find someone. I feel so bad even saying this. My thoughts as always are with her, her family and friends. I pray they find her. IMHO

Someone mentioned the router logs and law enforcement being able to see the last time that one of her devices was connected to WiFi. My question (and it may be a really stupid one) is.......can they tell which device it was connected to? For instance, if my phone is dead but I’m using my iPad would they be able to see that I was on my iPad and not my phone? If that’s possible then would they know if anyone else was connected to the Router too? Say a friend stopped by and their phone connected to the WiFi automatically, is there any way to see that? I know it’s a stretch, and they would have to either have no password on their WiFi or the person would have had to be connected To their router before and still have the login info stored in their phone (possible if it was a friend who had visited in the past). Another thought........ I know that my phone has an app that allows me to connect automatically to different WiFi signals that are with the same internet provider that I use for my home WiFi. It’s a free Mobil hotspots type service that we got with our cable/Internet service. Idk if that is sometching that most service providers offer or not.
I hope this makes sense. Im not great at explaining my thoughts sometimes.

The answer is yes to all of your questions.
If the device was connected to the wifi network, it's Mac address would be logged.

I'm from an older generation and I know young people love SM, however I can't stand it and what it's doing to some kids today. This was a huge story in Oz this year.

This is what happened to "Dolly"

Cyber-bullying campaign launched after suicide of 14yo face of Akubra

And nothing happens to the perpetrators ... because they're kids, so no consequences at all.

To avoid confusion, I'll add: If a red shirt was found...
It's possible, or someone else who owned some and thought it would be funny. The other possibility is that she really did have a third one her mother didn't know about, but I would think that her boss or coworkers would know if she'd recently gotten another one. I can only think of 2 reasons why the perp might have done it. One is that he wants her found, but I find that unlikely or he wouldn't have hidden her so well. The other reason I can come up with is to throw suspicion on someone else. If he did turn off her phone around that area, he may have been upset that nobody had been arrested (or at least named as a POI) so he threw it out there to get their attention back there. MOO

I happen to think some kind of red shirt must have been found. How could news of a red shirt being found come out of no where? Hopefully, LE will address it at their PC tomorrow.

(Posting on this thread at this hour makes me feel like an alley cat who gained access to the tuna market after it closed because someone forgot to close a window)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist