Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a co-op next door? I didn't know that. But, sure that seems just as plausible, if not more so, as a dad from daycare.

That said...the reason I said day care, is that I can see the a single dad developing a delusional fantasy relationship with MT that is about more than sexual desire. Given the lack of initial violence or a crime scene, this case just seems like it is about more than sexual gratification to me. Maybe he saw how great she was with his kid, and he started to have fantasies about how she would be a great mom, and the fantasy developed from there. I don't know. It's just conjecture based on a feeling.

But yes, I think my point was less that it was a person from a specific group of people and more that this guy knows MT and has the ability and time, whether a result of age, disposition, or employment, to stalk her.
I agree, and I wonder if LE would be looking into that. I would think they would look at ANYONE coming into contact with her on a fairly regular basis.

Where has it been said that she was on her computer until late in the evening?
It was reported that atleast one witness was told by LE that Mollie returned home. Mollie’s mother also said something similar. Her boyfriend said that her Snapchat message appeared to show her indoors. We have no direct evidence that the first two things are true. The last doesn’t necessarily mean anything as we don’t know when the snap was sent. LE hasn’t commented on any of this so it remains speculation and not fact.

Where has it been said that she was on her computer until late in the evening?
By a witness and family member. They stated LE told them her computer indicated she was doing homework late in the evening. LE did not confirm that to the public. Also there were some discrepancies as to what time " evening is

Hypothetical...

It was raining (fact)... MT woke up and decided to walk/jog to her mom's house to get the car she shares with her brother then drive to work.
Certainly possible. A daytime abduction would be more dangerous to the perpetrator, despite it being an early hour. It doesn’t explain her leaving her wallet though, as well as Mollie remaining in her jogging clothes.

Hypothetical...

It was raining (fact)... MT woke up and decided to walk/jog to her mom's house to get the car she shares with her brother then drive to work.
I'm still not convinced it was raining that hour.

It was reported that atleast one witness was told by LE that Mollie returned home. Mollie’s mother also said something similar. Her boyfriend said that her Snapchat message appeared to show her indoors. We have no direct evidence that the first two things are true. The last doesn’t necessarily mean anything as we don’t know when the snap was sent. LE hasn’t commented on any of this so it remains speculation and not fact.

I thought Mollie's mother has stated she doesn't believe she ever returned home from her run.

Your reply still doesn't indicate where it was said she was on her computer 'late in the evening'.

Hypothetical...

It was raining (fact)... MT woke up and decided to walk/jog to her mom's house to get the car she shares with her brother then drive to work. She leaves BF house with an umbrella and starts walking... a familiar person sees MT walking in the rain and offers her a ride, she accepts, get in and the rest is history...
As I mentioned before Marie, this only works if reports the mom said no red shirts are missing from the house is untrue.

Hi,
I am new here. I am a technology professional and a bit of a hacker and technology forensic as well.
My thoughts are:
If they have MT's laptop and her phone was synced to a Google or an iCloud account (which nearly all phones are these days) then LE should have to all of the location information they would need to track MTs location up to the time she disappeared, especially if she was taking her phone on her runs, as many witnesses have claimed. Moreover, the back up of the phone should include all of the data files LE would need to read all of the messages that were on the phone when it was last backed up. That said, it seems that LE may be wasting time trying to obtain the Fitbit information via warrants when that same information is probably within an apple or Google account.

Browser and application use history would also be useful information to have. This would be useful in understanding MT's state of mind before the disappearance. I can't imagine she would have disappeared willingly without looking up something related to the topic of doing so.

I also wonder if they have checked the router logs from her boyfriend's house. At the very least that would give them an idea of the last time one of her devices was connected to the wifi network within the house and would, therefore, give them an idea of whether she was taken from the house or whether she disappeared during the run. Under ideal circumstances, the router data could give them browser history, password hashes, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but we don't know for sure that the last ping came from near WCs pig farm. That is speculation, correct?
Even if we were 100% certain of the last tower the phone pinged that doesn't necessarily give a highly accurate representation of her location, especially if we don't know the locations of other cell towers in the area.

Assuming:
-that the FBI has someone who is better at this stuff than me, and knowing that if I had MTs laptop, I would have been able to gather and analyze all of the aforementioned data within a timeframe of 1-5 days
- that RTs messaging to the public about "someone she knew took her" is strategic;
- that anyone who loves their dogs enough to hire a dogsitter for them wouldn't normally be keeping them in the basement with plenty of food and water. ( I feed my dog two times a day a rationed portion of food, because if I let him have access to unlimited amounts of food, he would eat himself into a gluttonous diabetic coma)
- that if she left her boyfriend's house after her run to walk to her mom's, she would have communicated that to her mom in some fashion.

My conclusion is that she was likely taken by someone who knew her from her bfs house and who she had interacted with at least a few times. This person likely knew her well enough to know that she would feel better about leaving the house if she knew the dogs would be fed if she did not return. He knew her well enough to know her routine and when she would be most vulnerable. I imagine this person stalked her, which means he would have had to possess the time to do so. I would guess that he is likely a divorced father, a college student, unemployed, disabled, retired, and/or someone whose profession it is to sit around in a car and wait for something to happen (LE) (no offense).
The absence of a crime scene tells me that his attack was planned out, and that this person is meticulous and organized, and would also lead me to believe that it is probable that he older than college age.
He probably owns a gun.
I believe he probably was knocked on the door while she was doing homework. He lied and said there was something he needed help with (ie. Flat tire). She let him in for a minute. He pulled a gun. She said, ok dont shoot, let me feed the dogs and I will go with you. He follows her downstairs. She feeds dogs. He tells her to get her phone. She gets phone. They get in his vehicle, he tells her to power off the phone, and they leave.

Hopefully she is being held somewhere and she is not dead. If I was LE, I would be looking at divorced dad's who occasionally picked their kids up from daycare, who own guns, and who have large properties with multiple structures on site or second properties where they could hold someone hostage without being discovered.

Thank you, Stephen Smith. Great stuff. Your expertise is very welcome.

All of it seems plausible to me, except the part about feeding pets in middle of an abduction. This is all speculative and assuming a lot from a little on my part, but that's what we do here. I very much appreciate your contribution to the thread.

The dog were said to only be kept in the basement while everyone was away. I'm stuck on the idea that she may have been taken or tricked into a ride or a bite to eat, but more likely abducted, just as she was returning before she let the dogs loose or just as Mollie was getting ready to leave.

The perp may have wanted the dogs not to seem out of place possibly, so if anyone did come to check on Mollie, that night somehow, they would have the impression she left willingly.

Was the snapchat received by DJ, if not sent by Mollie, a contingency too? If her brother for some reason came by to drop off the car and found Mollie missing, he'd contact DJ. DJ would see the snapchat and perhaps assume she's with a friend. What kind of digital hack could be involved with that snapchat?

If it was not just snap sent by Mollie, was it the perp's way of showing they had
Mollie?

If that's true, then why a snapchat to DJ? In other words, why would the perp have the need to or choose to communicate with DJ?

A former thief once told me the one thing they don't like is unpredictability and loose dogs that can blindside them are the bane of their existence.

Last edited:
By a witness and family member. They stated LE told them her computer indicated she was doing homework late in the evening. LE did not confirm that to the public. Also there were some discrepancies as to what time " evening is
The problem is how they define evening. I know most here would disagree with me, but my day is split into - 6-11:59 am is morning, 12:00-5:00 pm is afternoon, 5:01(?)-7:30/8:00 pm is evening, and after 8:00 pm-6:00 am is night. To me, late evening would probably be 7:30 or 8:00. That's how I see it happening. She gets home at ~5:30 pm, lets the dogs out for a while, does some homework, puts on her running clothes, feeds the dogs and puts them downstairs and leaves on her run about 7:30. She should finish her run about 8:15 by most reports, and could then be to her mothers before 8 to grab a brat or two and get the car.

It seems like a reasonable, and fairly predictable routine, and should usually get her to mom's place before dark. Once there, she either showers and goes to bed, or goes back to DJ's and does it. The main problem with it that I see is figuring out where it would be easy to disrupt her routine without drawing attention to yourself. MOO

Last edited:
I'll leave you with this for tonight. Here's the drive from Deep River to Brooklyn. It's pretty boring, but you'll see the area of the hog farms around Guernsey and get a feel for that area. You'll also see that what they call a "wildlife area" is probably not what you had in mind, you can't even see Brooklyn from the truck stops, and I'm not much of a narrator. (and you're in for a shock if you think I'm female because of my username)

Go full screen, it's 1080HD

How often do you see a semi parked at someone's house?

That's an awfully long drive between the Guernsey area and Brooklyn. I don't believe Mollie sat in a vehicle to Guernsey without being somehow incapacitated. I'm basing this opinion on the Hannah Graham abduction, where, IIRC, she was hit in the head and shoved into the back of a car.

That's a long drive, so it's possible that Mollie was violently abducted in Brooklyn, assaulted near Guernsey, and then transported to another location? Maybe she removed her Fitbit to give a clue to investigators. Maybe, if investigators can locate her Fitbit, they will find additional evidence.

I thought Mollie's mother has stated she doesn't believe she ever returned home from her run.

Your reply still doesn't indicate where it was said she was on her computer 'late in the evening'.
Mollies mom told a reporter that LE told her, her computer indicated she was doing homework until late in the evening. I think her mom changed her mind about believing that as she realized her jogging clothes, sneakers, and white ear buds were also missing.

Mollies mom told a reporter that LE told her, her computer indicated she was doing homework until late in the evening. I think her mom changed her mind about believing that as she realized her jogging clothes, sneakers, and white ear buds were also missing.
It's the fact that those items were missing, the dogs were in the basement, and the last known sighting of Mollie was while she was jogging, I too question the idea of her making it back. If this digital evidence does not in fact exist, everything makes a bit more sense.

Here’s another quote where that can be construed (though obviously ‘late’ and ‘later’ that evening can mean two different things). This exact same paragraph is in several MSM articles including the Daily Mail and Des Moines Register.

“Neighbor DC <full name edited to initials>, a retired maintenance director for the school district, said he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening and made it home from the run safely. He said investigators told him she was doing homework on her computer later that evening.”

Last edited:
I think that's the rout Needles is suggesting. And don't hesitate to alter my map to a more plausible route - that was my intention.

I would never alter someone's map. It's just a suggestion. The only question I've had is, assuming she did run on 2nd Str., where did she turn North if she were to end up on the pathway East of the highway and near her mom's house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helangel