Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up is hard when you live in my timezone, oh my goodness.

I saw some talk earlier about a 'carnival'. I'm not sure how the Poweshiek County Fair morphed into a carnival, but I thought I'd try to clear a few things up (locals please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here):

The Poweshiek County Fair is held in Grinnell, Iowa. It's the fair that Mollie and the GRMC daycamp was scheduled to go to on Thursday. The scheduled dates were 07/14 and 07/17-23

If you look on google maps, the fairgrounds are approx. 16 miles (23 mins drive) from DJ's house in Brooklyn. Too far to walk.

From what I can tell from local reports, the Poweshiek County Fairground FB page and this official site - https://www.poweshiekcountyfair.org/default.htm - the fair is a 4H type deal. Agricultural shows, animal displays, livestock competitions, local talent show, local beauty pageant etc. It's not the kind of fair with a lot of carnie rides or amusement attractions. In fact, the buildings and stalls where it's held appear to be already existing. So, this is not a traveling fair with a lot of transient workers coming into Grinnell then moving on. Just something to keep in mind when formulating theories. MOO

If it's close to the high school, they could get half that amount on lunch hour alone. Plus kids picking up snacks before practice after/before school.
I posted the Jr/Sr High School Stats a couple threads ago and the student population 7-12 grade is 257. 50% of the student population would be close to your number.

I'll leave you with this for tonight. Here's the drive from Deep River to Brooklyn. It's pretty boring, but you'll see the area of the hog farms around Guernsey and get a feel for that area. You'll also see that what they call a "wildlife area" is probably not what you had in mind, you can't even see Brooklyn from the truck stops, and I'm not much of a narrator. (and you're in for a shock if you think I'm female because of my username)

Go full screen, it's 1080HD

Actually, you kinda sound like Donald Trump, SharonNeedles.

Or perhaps - work next door at the Electric Coop???
Is there a co-op next door? I didn't know that. But, sure that seems just as plausible, if not more so, as a dad from daycare.

That said...the reason I said day care, is that I can see the a single dad developing a delusional fantasy relationship with MT that is about more than sexual desire. Given the lack of initial violence or a crime scene, this case just seems like it is about more than sexual gratification to me. Maybe he saw how great she was with his kid, and he started to have fantasies about how she would be a great mom, and the fantasy developed from there. I don't know. It's just conjecture based on a feeling.

But yes, I think my point was less that it was a person from a specific group of people and more that this guy knows MT and has the ability and time, whether a result of age, disposition, or employment, to stalk her.

Again, thank you, Otta, the Blaise Pascal, I swear.

I read an article a couple of days ago linked on this discussion in relation to Jessica Ridgeway's abduction and murder, and awareness space. I'm just wondering what that would look like if this is a serial murderer - so I tried to map that out as well. Awareness space relates to transportation corridors.

I posted the same map on the Lyric Cooke and Elizabeth Collins discussion.

Attachments

• Mollie Radius 2.jpg
    Mollie Radius 2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 55
I'll leave you with this for tonight. Here's the drive from Deep River to Brooklyn. It's pretty boring, but you'll see the area of the hog farms around Guernsey and get a feel for that area. You'll also see that what they call a "wildlife area" is probably not what you had in mind, you can't even see Brooklyn from the truck stops, and I'm not much of a narrator. (and you're in for a shock if you think I'm female because of my username)

This was so nice of you to do. It is NOTHING like I pictured it. I knew Iowa was a plain state but had no idea how vast and flat it really is. Someone in another thread said you would need an army to do a search, that is an understatement. Thank you so much for taking the time to film this. I can't wait until tomorrow to see the town itself. Nite, nite all!

Is there a co-op next door? I didn't know that. But, sure that seems just as plausible, if not more so, as a dad from daycare.

That said...the reason I said day care, is that I can see the a single dad developing a delusional fantasy relationship with MT that is about more than sexual desire. Given the lack of initial violence or a crime scene, this case just seems like it is about more than sexual gratification to me. Maybe he saw how great she was with his kid, and he started to have fantasies about how she would be a great mom, and the fantasy developed from there. I don't know. It's just conjecture based on a feeling.

But yes, I think my point was less that it was a person from a specific group of people and more that this guy knows MT and has the ability and time, whether a result of age, disposition, or employment, to stalk her.
This brings me back yet again to the stalking guy from her U of I whose link I posted a couple of days ago !

Catching up is hard when you live in my timezone, oh my goodness.

I saw some talk earlier about a 'carnival'. I'm not sure how the Poweshiek County Fair morphed into a carnival, but I thought I'd try to clear a few things up (locals please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here):

The Poweshiek County Fair is held in Grinnell, Iowa. It's the fair that Mollie and the GRMC daycamp was scheduled to go to on Thursday. The scheduled dates were 07/14 and 07/17-23

If you look on google maps, the fairgrounds are approx. 16 miles (23 mins drive) from DJ's house in Brooklyn. Too far to walk.

From what I can tell from local reports, the Poweshiek County Fairground FB page and this official site - https://www.poweshiekcountyfair.org/default.htm - the fair is a 4H type deal. Agricultural shows, animal displays, livestock competitions, local talent show, local beauty pageant etc. It's not the kind of fair with a lot of carnie rides or amusement attractions. In fact, the buildings and stalls where it's held appear to be already existing. So, this is not a traveling fair with a lot of transient workers coming into Grinnell then moving on. Just something to keep in mind when formulating theories. MOO
Thank you for clarifying this. I was wondering about transient workers coming to town to set up, work, whatever. This really helps me get a much needed clearer picture.

I couldn't stick around till dusk to check out the street light situation. Jackson is still without sidewalks, and cutting through that parking lot isn't as level as I thought it looked. That's pretty much the major artery through town too, looks like a street I'd try to avoid walking or biking on. Boundry street doesn't feel weird if that makes any sense (or maybe because I live on the edge of my town I'm just used to how that feels). I'd wonder if maybe Mollie would get to her mom's house by via Mills street if she were on foot. That would be my route of choice and stay off Jackson altogether.

What about this route for going to Mom's house? Wouldn't she choose the pathway over the highway? Did you go down that road, the one that skirts the farms?

Attachments

• Mollie 12.jpg
    Mollie 12.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 59

Thank you.

I think her routine is what the perp counted on, whether well acquainted or not with Mollie. Her completely normal way of doing things predictability is exactly what may have been part of the draw. This person knew what to expect of Mollie and could plan for it.
And she was described as being " a creature of habit." Would have been easy to get to know her routine.

What about this route for going to Mom's house? Wouldn't she choose the pathway over the highway? Did you go down that road, the one that skirts the farms?

I think that's the rout Needles is suggesting. And don't hesitate to alter my map to a more plausible route - that was my intention.

What better place than the business directly to the east of the house - that provides you a clear view of the driveway, front door and garage???

I agree with that, but wouldn't she have showered and wouldn't her running clothes be in the laundry basket? There is not enough info out there.

She wouldn't have showered yet if someone drove up, just as she was returning, and pretended he had something to do there. [ return tools to her boyfriend, replace fuses for the fiance, etc]

then he acts casual,friendly, makes conversation. And she asks him for a quick ride to her car, so she will do that before showering, etc.

And she was described as being " a creature of habit." Would have been easy to get to know her routine.
That element of her personality is something that opens the door to many reasonable scenarios. It increases the likelihood that this abduction was committed by someone who didn’t know Mollie personally, but knew her running habits and routes. It’s possible that he had seen her running many times before, and saw an opportunity on this particular night. It could have also been more premeditated than that.

It is said she was on her computer until late in the evening. She did not go to her mom's house. I wonder if someone or something caused he to go outside or to quickly go somewhere with them. It is of some's opinion that she willingly got into a car with someone. What type of a situation would cause her to do that? Did someone convince her there was an emergency? That could cause her to secure the dogs in the basement and leave behind her wallet and glasses. She still had her fitbit on and would of course take her cell.

Where has it been said that she was on her computer until late in the evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadWiring