Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the truck stop. A trucker isn't going to have a car or SUV, and he certainly isn't going to abduct someone and take them to a truck stop. Lots of truckers at a truck stop, too. Nearly 4 weeks - who's going to remember, and what is to remember?

This isn't your ordinary truck stop. Look what's there:

4124 V18 Road Brooklyn, IA, 52211
Phone: 641-522-4569 Fax: 641-522-4580
Click For Website
Franchise: Travel Centers of America
GPS: 41.697800 -92.445900
Description: Truck Stop; Country Pride Restaurant; Hunt Brothers' Pizza;; Travel convenience market; laundry area; driver's showers; fax & copy services; CAT truck scales; bulk DEF; driver's supplies; oil & fuel treatments; paved & lighted overnight parking; reserved parking available; tire repairs & sales; PM & Oil change; Lube services; roadside maintenance; truck alignments; refrigerated trailer maintenance; trucker's supplies; covered fueling; satellite fueling.

Plus Dunkin' Donuts Express :)

Will interstate billboards be put up? If so....that tells they think a non local and maybe possible trucker might be responsible.

Last edited:
My honest opinion, I’m thinking st the moment they do not have a POI. Otherwise they would not be asking people who might have gotten a hair cut lately.
The signs LE refer to... Change of appearance, nervousness, insomnia, change of routine etc... Those are not intended to be independent signs, they are meant to be indicators of a departure from the normal behavior of someone. Obviously people get haircuts every day, people routinely suffer from insomnia and some people are chronically anxious. That is not to say that those people are exhibiting signs of guilt. These indicators are to be used in conjunction with other signs. For example, you notice a neighbor outside washing his car at 10pm. You know that, normally, he is not outside at night and normally takes his car to get washed. You also notice that he shaved his beard recently. You happen to have a brief conversation with him and note that he isn't himself., He seems tired, preoccupied, mentions he hasn't been sleeping or doesn't mention anything at all... These indicators singularly and together mean nothing; however if they are a departure from his norm, they could cause you to say to yourself "odd, I've lived next to Mr. Smith for 6 years and I don't recall him departing from his routine like this". Those are the behaviours that I believe LE is talking about. They are just a piece of the puzzle, not the entire puzzle.

I don't understand the truck stop. A trucker isn't going to have a car or SUV, and he certainly isn't going to abduct someone and take them to a truck stop. Lots of truckers at a truck stop, too. Nearly 4 weeks - who's going to remember, and what is to remember?
I recall a case of Forensics Files where a trucker...no it was “Evil Lives Here”, SK Bobby Joe’s wife was talking...my goodness check out the episode if you can folks, wow just wow, he was a trucker...I might be confusing another trucker case, point is, they trucks have indoor areas for sleeping, etc. I remember a crime scene photo of a blanket laid down in the personal quarters of the truck, that was “her area”.

They want to know if anybody can recall seeing anything suspicious or out of the ordinary now that they've singled out those particular locations. Someone who seemed like they weren't acting quite right, someone making an unusual purchase, overhearing someone on the phone having an odd conversation, etc.
Perhaps they have the same vehicle approaching/leaving those locations on camera or they found some bit of evidence/picked up a signal, etc. and that is why these locations may be highlighted.

MOO
I don't think LE interest in the car wash is because the person washed or cleaned their vehicle. Someone there may have noticed something or maybe something was picked up on the camera. Maybe a strange vehicle sitting there. How close is the car wash to the reported sighting around 8-8:30?

This isn't your ordinary truck stop. Look what's there:

4124 V18 Road Brooklyn, IA, 52211
Phone: 641-522-4569 Fax: 641-522-4580
Click For Website
Franchise: Travel Centers of America
GPS: 41.697800 -92.445900
Description: Truck Stop; Country Pride Restaurant; Hunt Brothers' Pizza;; Travel convenience market; laundry area; driver's showers; fax & copy services; CAT truck scales; bulk DEF; driver's supplies; oil & fuel treatments; paved & lighted overnight parking; reserved parking available; tire repairs & sales; PM & Oil change; Lube services; roadside maintenance; truck alignments; refrigerated trailer maintenance; trucker's supplies; covered fueling; satellite fueling.

Plus Dunkin' Donuts Express :)
No car wash though? Hmmm.

I’d have to agree. Although legal I do question le keeping every bit of info to themselves. I think they missed a huge window of opportunity not posting yesterday’s places of interest weeks ago.

Statistically the longer the times, the less likely for a happy outcome.

And I’d be glad to be incorrect.

BBM...I hate to even type this, and hope I am wrong, but my guess is that Mollie was dead within just a few hours of her disappearance, and perhaps even sooner. Nothing to base that on, other than gut. JMO

Last edited:
These are standard things to look for and she is not long out of high school.
True, but with all the other things pointing in that direction and other people suspecting someone from her college, I was hoping for someone to expand on that notion. I can't remember the name of the school i was hoping someone could help me with that as well as how far away. Also any information about the particular student who recently was accused of stalking. Could she have been in contact with him. It's things like that I was hoping someone could answer to

High Volume on Tibbetts Website Prompts State to Add Additional Server
High Volume on Tibbetts Website Prompts State to Add Additional Sever

According to the article, 1,500 tips have come in. Hopefully, some of those will provide viable leads.
LE seems to be dutifully pursuing tips/leads. They have M.E.'s electronic data and the timeline. I hope there is a development soon. I still have a terrible feeling M.E. will be found during harvest season, sadly.
that is one of the most poorly written articles I’ve ever seen. Doesn’t anyone proofread anymore?

The signs LE refer to... Change of appearance, nervousness, insomnia, change of routine etc... Those are not intended to be independent signs, they are meant to be indicators of a departure from the normal behavior of someone. Obviously people get haircuts every day, people routinely suffer from insomnia and some people are chronically anxious. That is not to say that those people are exhibiting signs of guilt. These indicators are to be used in conjunction with other signs. For example, you notice a neighbor outside washing his car at 10pm. You know that, normally, he is not outside at night and normally takes his car to get washed. You also notice that he shaved his beard recently. You happen to have a brief conversation with him and note that he isn't himself., He seems tired, preoccupied, mentions he hasn't been sleeping or doesn't mention anything at all... These indicators singularly and together mean nothing; however if they are a departure from his norm, they could cause you to say to yourself "odd, I've lived next to Mr. Smith for 6 years and I don't recall him departing from his routine like this". Those are the behaviours that I believe LE is talking about. They are just a piece of the puzzle, not the entire puzzle.
Yes I know. Just said that to get a point across, that they are asking for the public’s help in helping to locate/identify a suspect. Believe me I know all about that profile, unfortunately from personal experience with Jessica R.

——

ETA: on my list list to compare/quote the three profiles released by LE in the three cases listed below. )Iirc many of the same potential indicators are also posted somewhere on FBI / BAU site in general terms):

1. Jessica Ridgeway
2. Abby and Libby
3. Mollie

Note for reference, the profile was off in Jessica’s case. It was a 17 year old neighbor. He wasn’t “in the area for work”...

Note-other profile additions added to 1 and 2, mention if cleaning vehicle.

Also added to (paraphrasing) “May show an unusual interest in the case” is “or not. And unwillingness to discuss it.”

I also don’t remember “cigarettes” being mentioned in “possible increased use of drugs and alcohol”.

Perhaps the BAU has added these. I could also not be remembering correctly.

Last edited:
So, would an arrest in this case go through the county or is there a way it will be processed federally?
It looks like Iowa courts would handle if she was abducted and stayed in Iowa, as I read it as below.
If she was abducted and taken across state lines, the Feds will typically get involved.
Since the Feds are already involved, I don't know how much this would affect which laws would apply. IANAL.

Here are the laws:

-----------------------------------------------------
If kidnapping (abduction), here's Iowa law:
-----------------------------------------------------
Kidnapping in the first degree occurs when the person kidnapped, as a consequence of the kidnapping, suffers serious injury, or is intentionally subjected to torture or sexual abuse.
Kidnapping in the second degree occurs when the purpose of kidnapping is to hold the victim for ransom or where the kidnapper is armed with a dangerous weapon.

All kidnappings other than first degree or second degree are third degree kidnappings.
. . .
According to Iowa Code § 902.9, the punishment for kidnapping felonies are life imprisonment for a class “A” felony, not more than 25 years of imprisonment for class “B” felony and imprisonment of not more than ten years and a fine of at least one thousand dollars but not more than ten thousand dollars for a class “C” felony.

Iowa Kidnapping/Abduction Laws – Kidnapping
-------------------------------------------------------
Here's the federal law:
Federal criminal code (18 U.S.C. § 1201) makes kidnapping a serious felony offense, with prison sentences of 20 or more years, depending on prior convictions and the circumstances of the case. ... Federal authorities will typically get involved and file federal charges if the kidnapping crosses state lines.
Kidnapping - FindLaw

employees might remember who they seen that was local.

No one knows what type of vehicle that LE might be looking to locate. And with the amount of time that’s passed the general public has well likely forgotten. I observed an accident with a semi and a car in the middle of a 5 lane street with very little traffic about a week ago. I can’t recall the color of the vehicles today.

In both the PC and recent Fox interview with JD and RT, both the spokesman and Mollie's dad, when they said to look for signs such as a change in ones routine they both said OR: missing SCHOOL, work, or routine engagement without explanation. IN THAT ORDER. I keep thinking there is a very specific meaning to that statement. Mollies not in high school. Her college is not nearby. Do they suspect a specific person from her college? I can't recall how far away it is. And we have been hearing other information that points in that direction. Anyone have anything to add to this? I know other people have been thinking along these lines and I would like to hear more opinions.
I was leaning towards someone from high school but I think it could definitely be someone from college. This would fit with LE asking people to think about someone who might be familiar with the area but not from the area.

Respectfully, although it is a somewhat popular opinion here, I think it is far too soon to even be thinking this case is going to go cold. I know I am in the minority, but I really thought yesterday was a momentum builder for LE more than a letdown, as far as solving this case. JMO
I dont think you are in the minority at all. I agree and so do many others. They are putting pressure on the perp. They are sending him the message that someone is going to turn him in. They are closing in on him and he is trembling in fear. All my opinion, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams