Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas why she is being held hostage? What does the perp want?

I believe this is the first case where a missing person who has been gone for four weeks, is repeatedly mentioned it is thought she is alive. Does LE have a reason to think this or is it hoping for the best?

If MT is being held hostage, would the perp be eligible for the cash reward? My brain says no but wanted to get your opinions.

They are asking for people who were at those locations to call the tipline. They aren't asking for people to call only if they saw something suspicious.

That tells me they are looking for someone to corroborate information they already have.

I believe thst LE has accumulated a plethora of information, about this case.
That they have been connecting "the dots", to complete this puzzle. LE obviously only reveals info, that will not jeopardize their investigation. My gut feeling is that it has advanced, further than most people believe.

I will not be surprised, to whom this leads to. I worked in LE long enough, to not have tunnel vision, and keep open minded. There have been wide ranging opinions, as to the nature of the perp.
IMO, LE has sent out "mixed signals", since the inception of this investigation.
Probably not to telegraph, what knowledge they do have. Not to alert any POIS, they may have developed, for quite some time now.

I do go back to LE'S apparent view ...
That the public is not in any danger.
I have been giving this belief, a lot of thought.

I believe this is the first case where a missing person who has been gone for four weeks, is repeatedly mentioned it is thought she is alive. Does LE have a reason to think this or is it hoping for the best?

If MT is being held hostage, would the perp be eligible for the cash reward? My brain says no but wanted to get your opinions.

I wouldn't really give this any weight because it is 1) the Daily Mail <modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:

They have historical / experience and loads more info then we do; they probably have a suspect in mind; they are way ahead of where 'joe public' thinks they are. When you add CCTV, Fitbit, Mobile Phone data plus everything else; they have come to a conclusion - the type of crime they are dealing with.

I think LE would stop the family from making statements; if they were way off the mark.

Others have said that as well, but I just don't see it. Could someone here with some LE background detail the circumstances that would qualify a case going cold? I would really love to know. Then maybe we won't have to speculate.

The definition of a cold case varies from agency to agency. The National Institute of Justice currently defines a cold case as any case whose probative investigative leads have been exhausted. In essence, this means a case that is only a few months old may be defined as being "cold."
What Is a Cold Case? | National Institute of Justice

I have a question and it may appear to be and may wind up being OT but I want to ask :

In NC there is a law (one I fought very hard to never make it on the books but the then Attorney Gen. Cooper and the General Assembly thought it was a good thing) which allows sex offenders to roll off the registry. The initial law didn't require notification to the victim or the LE or Court where the crime was prosecuted. After the Gen. Assembly changed the law was amended to make those two elements part of the law. I have attached a link from UNC's School of Government which explains what has happened in NC beginning in 2007.

https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/petitions-terminate-sex-offender-registration-moir-tiers/

HERE are my questions. The way the Registry works is largely where an offender LIVES/RESIDES. He sort of ports himself from place to place. And they are extremely mobile. In most jurisdictions LE has to check to verify residence and they do it every two years. It is the law for Sex Offenders to report any change in residency within a particular window of time.

I recall all too well the way Attorney Gen. Cooper created a special dept. inside his agency to handle these cases in NC. There was no public notification, in at least two Courts the requests by the convicted sex offenders were handled in judges' chambers and not in open court. In WAKE they set aside special time in the court calender just for such cases and I know of at least one convicted TX rapist who rolled off the registry.

I don't know if NC is unique. If it is or isn't, I wonder about how employers or LE from other jurisdictions who don't have access to the special information stored in the NC AG's office and not provided publicly because, per AG Cooper, 'the right of privacy by the applicant (AKA convicted sex offender)' can know if one of the men who figured out how to wiggle off the registry early might be?

Anyone know?

This comment box holds on to your post even when you backtrack to avoid posting. Very strange. It holds your post hostage and forces you to post something. Lol

-self deleted-

If you want to avoid delete before posting:
Highlight the text and delete it, then
Click on the Drafts button and select Delete Draft

They have historical / experience and loads more info then we do; they probably have a suspect in mind; they are way ahead of where 'joe public' thinks they are. When you add CCTV, Fitbit, Mobile Phone data plus everything else; they have come to a conclusion - the type of crime they are dealing with.

I think LE would stop the family from making statements; if they were way off the mark.

Anything is possible but Mr. Tibbetts says it is speculation on his part.

“It’s totally speculation on my part, but I think that Mollie is with someone that she knows that is in over their head,” he said. “To that person, you’re probably very afraid. This isn’t probably a situation that you anticipated. You don’t know how to extricate yourself from this but the best thing to do at this point is to put an end to it Do not escalate this and do not miss out one more day.”

Mollie Tibbetts' Father Says He Believes His Daughter Is Being Held Captive by Someone She Knows

Putting it out there that this is a LOT of pressure on the town of Brooklyn, a place that got blindsided in some ways more damaging than if a tornado ripped all their structures down to the bone.

Were I a resident, I would be feeling almost mad at myself I didn't see anything. I'd especially get survivor guilt had I been walking in the streets 5-10pm. I'd be eyeing my neighbors. I wouldn't be sleeping or eating well. I'd get OCD about my locks, you get the drift. Fill in your own blanks.

My point is that the tip that cracks it into a suspect arrest doesn't necessarily have to come from that beleaguered town. In fact, it matters not where it comes from, only that it comes. So if you're out there reading this site, this thread, if you're scared ****less about what to do about what you think you might know, what you think you might have seen, and you don't live in Brooklyn, you've never been to Brooklyn, you never even knew a Brooklyn was in Iowa until now, this is what I'll say to you, what we're all saying we hope you do: put the info. in the little box on the website you see below in my signature. Or call the number on that website.

You overheard a conversation. You got a rumor going around your circle. Or you saw a change in someone & you just know deep inside it's not right. Come forward & do what's right for Mollie. She deserves that much. Thank you
... or the tip could come from a friend of the perp's significant other like in the James Biela case. Biela was a serial rapist who abducted and killed Brianna Denison in January 2008.

Detectives began focusing on Biela after receiving a Secret Witness tip on Nov. 1 ” one of more than 2,200 tips they received in the case, Poehlman said.

Testimony turns to forensics in Reno murder trial

Carleen Harmon says in court documents they had a ‘tumultuous romantic relationship.' And this past winter she says Biela would disappear claiming to sleep in his truck.

He later sold the truck to someone in Idaho then moved to Washington in March where he worked on a plumbing project.

Who is James Biela? Channel 2 Investigates

Biela, 28, a pipe fitter who trained in martial arts, was arrested in November after an anonymous tip was received from a woman who said Biela’s former girlfriend and the mother of his child confided in her about finding thong underwear in Biela’s pickup truck when she went to visit him in Washington state.

Police said he left the Reno area shortly after Denison’s body was found and sold his truck in Idaho along the way.

Testimony turns to forensics in Reno murder trial

If she is being held hostage, the usual reason is because the perp wants to possess/own her. That has been the reason why many famous kidnapping cases have unfolded. Ariel Castro with Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight, Phillip Garrido with Jaycee Dugard and Brian Mitchell with Elizabeth Smart. All had a common theme. The perp wanted to "own" and sexually possess the victim. In the perp's mind, the young pretty girl was their property that they could do with as they pleased - usually sexually.

Perps in that boat typically don't kill their victims because if the victim perishes, then the perp ceases to have their sexual and psychological gratification satisfied. Usually ones that want to "own" their victims would in theory live with them forever because the victim is the object of their desires so even kidnapping someone else won't be the same. These type of perps also have been known to attend public vigils for them. Ariel Castro attended at least two for the girls he kidnapped while they were in his basement.

For the record, I don't believe this article since it's Radar but if that is in fact the case then it would make sense.

They also are truck drivers apparently! I mentioned this on a much earlier thread but I was shocked to learn this. I am linking a few different articles. The first speaks of a trucker who was addicted to opioids because of pain. And in the article it speaks of how they shop for doctors along their routes to help them continue to get medicine. (I can't seem to find the Cincinnati news story about how truckers also shop for heroin, crack, etc. along their routes too. I will keep looking for it)

‘Unintended Consequences’: Inside the fallout of America’s crackdown on opioids

The second article speaks of the new regulation requiring drug testing for some truckers.

DOT Drug Testing: Part 40 - Employee Notice
Every large trucking firm out there already does drug testing. The full extent. Local drivers, farm equipment/truck drivers, delivery drivers and what I call "outlaw" truckers many times don't get tested.
The drivers for companies like NAAPA etc all get tested.
I am really focused in on the TA Truckstop there in Brooklyn off of I-80. Yes it's off her route but drivers of all kinds stop there. And truckers often drop their trailers and take off in the truck (tractor it's called) itself, which can be fairly fast.
Since they all have turbos (have for many years) they move quite quickly. Surprisingly so.
Travelling I-40 yesterday I noticed all the places to transport a live or deceased person on an 18-wheeler. I know them all very well from my past riding with my husband cross-country many times over. Many of these trucks now haul "doubles". (Back in the early 90's I as a passenger only carried a little mary jane with me to sleep at night. Dogs at the scale houses? Was never a problem. Most drugs and such come in our area on trucks hauling huge loads of onions. Seriously.)
And even tho others aren't thinking about it out-loud in connection with this case, many of us are still thinking about the abductions and also the murders in Delphi.
jmo

Last edited:
I have a question and it may appear to be and may wind up being OT but I want to ask :

In NC there is a law (one I fought very hard to never make it on the books but the then Attorney Gen. Cooper and the General Assembly thought it was a good thing) which allows sex offenders to roll off the registry. The initial law didn't require notification to the victim or the LE or Court where the crime was prosecuted. After the Gen. Assembly changed the law was amended to make those two elements part of the law. I have attached a link from UNC's School of Government which explains what has happened in NC beginning in 2007.

https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/petitions-terminate-sex-offender-registration-moir-tiers/

HERE are my questions. The way the Registry works is largely where an offender LIVES/RESIDES. He sort of ports himself from place to place. And they are extremely mobile. In most jurisdictions LE has to check to verify residence and they do it every two years. It is the law for Sex Offenders to report any change in residency within a particular window of time.

I recall all too well the way Attorney Gen. Cooper created a special dept. inside his agency to handle these cases in NC. There was no public notification, in at least two Courts the requests by the convicted sex offenders were handled in judges' chambers and not in open court. In WAKE they set aside special time in the court calender just for such cases and I know of at least one convicted TX rapist who rolled off the registry.

I don't know if NC is unique. If it is or isn't, I wonder about how employers or LE from other jurisdictions who don't have access to the special information stored in the NC AG's office and not provided publicly because, per AG Cooper, 'the right of privacy by the applicant (AKA convicted sex offender)' can know if one of the men who figured out how to wiggle off the registry early might be?

Anyone know?

I can't answer directly; only from a logical point of view; once you are placed on the Register; you should stay on it for life; it kind of defeats the point of having a Register if ex-convicts come off it.
It's a warning tool; even if time has been spent behind bars.

Anything is possible but Mr. Tibbetts says it is speculation on his part.

“It’s totally speculation on my part, but I think that Mollie is with someone that she knows that is in over their head,” he said. “To that person, you’re probably very afraid. This isn’t probably a situation that you anticipated. You don’t know how to extricate yourself from this but the best thing to do at this point is to put an end to it Do not escalate this and do not miss out one more day.”

Mollie Tibbetts' Father Says He Believes His Daughter Is Being Held Captive by Someone She Knows

He has to say 'speculation' he doesn't know 100%; he can't say LE have told me 'they think'.

The tech to do this does not yet exist, or is not yet ready for prime time. To hold the battery necessary to power a GPS transmitter you would need to implant something the size of a pacemaker (not necessarily an out patient procedure, which likely would require general anaesthesia, along with the infection risk and all the other risks associated with surgery); not a grain of rice like the RFID chips they put in pets and that y'all are thinking of. ALSO, the jury is still out about the cancer risk of having a microwave/RF transmitter broadcasting from inside your body. Not to mention heating problems, like when your phone gets hot in your hand - same tech/same risks!

I would not have a problem with GPS implants if they're proven safe. What would make me hesitate is the thought that once perps realize this is common practice, they may just attempt to find and REMOVE the device from their victim. Shudder...

I hear your point, but what is LE realistically going to do? There's no law against RT getting on TV and sharing his opinions. LE could just stop telling him anything but from the sounds of it, they aren't telling the fam much to begin with.

If LE says "Mr. Tibbetts, please don't make statements like that on TV" and RT says "This is how I want to keep my daughter's name out there", they have no recourse. He can give as many interviews as he wants and if he wants to speculate that MT was kidnapped by space aliens from a distant galaxy it's his right. LE would just take the same line as always - they are investigating all possibilities, working hard to prioritize and process tips and information, blahblahblah.

I actually remember that LE in the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping didn't want to focus on Brian Mitchell after Elizabeth's sister suddenly remembered him as the guy. They thought they had their man with someone else who had recently died. They wouldn't sink resources into investigating and trying to locate Mitchell and after a few frustrating attempts, the Smart family did a media blitz against LE's wishes. Mitchell's own brother gave them info that helped lead to Brian himself and rescuing Elizabeth. It can work out that way.

I would not have a problem with GPS implants if they're proven safe. What would make me hesitate is the thought that once perps realize this is common practice, they may just attempt to find and REMOVE the device from their victim. Shudder...

Your not going to have to wait long; how about a barcode on your forehead first; the way planet Earth is heading.

I once stopped for gas at a rural truck stop at just after midnight, and saw a guy in an 80's long Halloween wig get out of the passenger side of a semi, and get into the passenger side of a small car being driven by a little lady who had to be at least 80. In the middle of the summer. I do not stop at truck stops alone anymore, because I have no good explanation for that scene. And I assume worse things can and will happen. But I think if something had happened to that guy or the little elderly lady, and they were asking for anyone to come forward who saw anything that night, I believe it would qualify. JMO.

Truckstops can be interesting places to people watch. My dad had a trucking company and there were a certain percentage of drivers that fit into the weird category. I also know if you’re in trouble in the road most will give you the shirt off their backs.

It’s similar to any mass of people. But if you look at them as suspect then there seem to be plenty with questionable physical traits and criminal backgrounds.

I no longer stop anywhere alone unless there are quite a few people around. And never at night. The area has to be well lit, people around and my intuition has to be very positive.

Certain rest areas are known for sexual and criminal activity. My kids didn’t need to be asking questions regarding the things they could see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychesleuth