Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it’s been three weeks of hell for all of them. I’ve been impressed by how stoic Mollie’s father Rob and boyfriend Dalton have been. They remain optimistic and their resolve is apparent. You can see that in their latest Fox News interview.
Nobody should ever have to go through such a thing. Just awful. :(

Last edited:
But the arrest warrant would still have to be processed through county? I guess I am asking if there is a way to arrest someone without it showing on the Poweshiek booking page?
That's a good question. I know a guy that was arrested for a federal warrant and it didn't show on the local site where he was arrested but did on the federal site show that he was apprehended.
Also, if this guy took Mollie out of the state and was arrested there we wouldn't know where to even look until we were made aware he was arrested.
Does that help?

I don't but I could be wrong. It just seems to me the smell would be terrible and the birds would be flying overhead and all that would call attention.
How do scavenging birds locate carcasses? If it's by sight, then they might not see a body in a thickly growing corn field.
The odor would be strong but only for a certain distance. Outside a given radius, the odor might not be powerful enough to overcome that of manure, pesticides, hogs. etc.
Is it safe to assume that there would still be a strong odor from a very shallow grave? How deep would a body have to be buried for the odor to be undetectable above ground?

The Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation and Crimes Stoppers of Central Iowa says it is unaware of any missing person cases that have been solved involving a reward pool. :(
I hope that I am wrong about M.T. eventually being found deceased, but I would hope that the money would be used to start a foundation in her name, i.e. the Vanessa Marcotte Foundation.

Mollie is Catholic. Having been raised a Catholic myself, we don't "do" Wed night services. The Wed night services are a Protestant or Non denominational thing.

Maybe not services, but the Catholic church where I live has youth group and religious education classes on Wednesday nights. So there are plenty of people around on a Wednesday.

Respectfully, although it is a somewhat popular opinion here, I think it is far too soon to even be thinking this case is going to go cold. I know I am in the minority, but I really thought yesterday was a momentum builder for LE more than a letdown, as far as solving this case. JMO

After the press release yesterday, I was also encouraged about the investigation, but very discouraged about Mollie's chances of survival. My impression is that she was abducted by an opportunistic, potentially violent man who is familiar with Brooklyn, but who does not live in Brooklyn. Investigators seem very aware of the possibility that she was snatched off the street after running along W. Pershing Dr., whisked out of Brooklyn, and that's it. They are looking for a missing person, but in reality they are probably looking for a body.

I doubt they have any idea who did this, but with the help of people in and around Brooklyn, tips will very likely help refine the search for the abductor.

SBM

I'm almost positive Big Bear Creek came up somewhere on here many many threads ago, like within the first week of the investigation, but cannot for the life of me remember the context. Dunno if I'm thinking of something that was in MSM, or speculation on here or what, but I distinctly remember that name for some reason.

Anyone else remember that? It's bothering me that I can't recall.

Yes I could’ve sworn I said “it stands out to me for some reason”...I meant to look for that post earlier bc I want to know, if I said that, why I said that. Likely the mileage (20ish?) and it’s size...going back to search for the conversation...direct access route maybe? Proximity to park, etc.? Idk...will look at the map again...

They gave the missing points!

• D&M Car Wash at Clay and East Second streets in downtown Brooklyn
  • TA Truck Stop at 4124 V18 Road, about 2.5 miles south of downtown
  • 385th Avenue by Historic U.S. 6, about one mile west of downtown
  • 385th Avenue and 200th Street, more than three miles northeast of downtown
  • 430th Avenue and 200th Street, more than six miles southeast of downtown

To claim a reward, one would have to know where Molly is now. Anyone knowing this without involvement is very unlikely. It won’t be claimed so it can grow as huge as they like.

If the terms eventually are “for arrest/conviction” at some point, and it WAS claimed...it could take years. After the trial. And still, the claimaint would have to be subject to heavy LE scrutiny in some way so as not to be paying a guilty person. So I am not sure how “anonymous” tips could ever claim a reward.
Maybe the larger it becomes the more likely the person involved (or person who knows something) the more likely it is that they will out weigh the vast sum of money to spending some time in prison. I imagine by now the person responsible is really feeling the pressure, may not be thinking rationally, and thinks they can get away with it. Or he may feel that if he doesn't come forward, he is going to get caught soon anyway and will have a larger price to pay. Weighing everything in his mind.going absolutely crazy. Feeling cornered just like they want him to feel.

bbm

That drives me crazy...can't imagine how the investigators react...laughter or anger at the waste of their time.

I can't even IMAGINE what they go through, I have so much respect for LE. My own clients come to me with bizarre legal theories they find online or dream up and I spend so much time explaining why they won't work or won't be helpful. It's a natural inclination but it gets tiring to explain why you can't countersue the government over leaving the gold standard or something like that. And I get paid a lot more than our overworked LEOs get paid. o_O

IMO You would hope federally bc a conviction is more likely but I think the sentence might be harsher locally. haven’t done any research.

Also there’s been an underlying discussion that this might be an interstate issue which then is prosecuted federally. I guess we’ll see when we find who it is, if we ever.

However, there is no death penalty in Iowa (that would be state cases). Capital punishment is an option if convicted on a federal level (although generally federal death penalty not nearly as common as on the state level).

It's most likely too late now, but I was wondering if anyone took her own 2 dogs (or her boyfriend's dogs) on routes where she may have run. Would the dogs sense anything? Maybe alert by getting agitated if they sensed she had been there or pull towards where they sense she went.

*DO NOT sleuth or post personal information about non-POIs (including a wedding registry, realty information, relationships, marriage information or anything else about their background even if it is public unless it is in MSM)

*Post using initials for all the case players (family members, friends, co-workers, neighbors,etc.) as much as possible

*DO NOT post asking if a particular person has been cleared

*DO NOT post judgemental posts about Mollie or anyone in her family as this is not victim friendly

Bumping Harmony's post from first page.

I really think the family thinks they know who did it. I think they've given us hints. RT says someone has mistaken her kindness and misunderstood the way a relationship was going. JT says she wanted people to be happy and listen to their sad stories. I think the family *seemed* unconcerned about her not coming to dinner and not coming to get the car because there was someone MT was spending time with, listening to his sad story and not understanding that men talk to you about their women troubles as a come-on. I think it was someone MT wouldn't imagine was interested in her in a romantic way, but RT explained to her what men are like. She met up with him that Wednesday night and initiated a pulling-away from him. He got mad and hurt her, or wouldn't let her out of his car and she had an asthma attack.
He's in a position where he would get in a lot of trouble for hurting a young girl he had no business being with. So he panicked. Finally, I think he's been interviewed and his home searched but they can't prove anything and she isn't at his house.

If it’s dusk, does it “switch” over? Are outdoor cameras different than indoor?

yes as it gets dark they auto switch, some smoothly switch and some have some fuzziness just in that moment they switch. there are cameras for indoor use only and if well lit enough will always be in color, if using modern equipment, indoor cameras cant be used outdoors. the differences being mainly weather resistant for outdoor and not for indoor. I am trying to fig out how I can show what a modern camera sees without showing too much about myself. ill have to think for a little while.

Indeed. I asked the same darn question a couple days ago as well.
I posted these MSM quote earlier. Hope it's helpful.
From the AP, originally from an interview with Fox news early on and requoted endlessly, everywhere:

“It’s been a whirlwind,” one of her brothers, Jake Tibbetts, told the station. “We’ve gone from sad, to worried, to just anxious and clueless. Up at five in the morning looking for her in every field, every ditch, every creek.”

Way back on the 21st of July, in the Des Moines Register the sheriff said:

"Poweshiek County Sheriff Tom Kriegel "is confident that every home in Brooklyn has been visited. Every farm building, barn and shed in the area has been searched," Heaston wrote."

on the 27th of July, ABC news showed him saying:

"Crews have searched every road, every ditch and every body of water near town", the sheriff said.
On Friday authorities also conducted a large ground search of the areas around Brooklyn -- and at least 250 people came out to help.
In addition, a helicopter and a plane flew over the area, he said, and kayakers searched miles along the small rivers on both sides of town."

I saw one statistic on Hannah Graham in Virginia relating to tips. Roughly 50% are not useful (theories, questions of investigators as to who did it, etc.)

"I know, I'll ask the investigators who did it, then call the tip line and say they did it. Then I can collect the reward!" :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamzie