Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Schedule

Says nothing on Wednesdays for St. Patrick's. Wednedsay mass would be in Victor which is ~9 miles away.

Wednesday night services are usually a Protestant thing. Though, some posters have pointed out that their Catholic church has a service on Wednesday night, in places other than Brooklyn, as does the Catholic church in Victor 9 miles away. I don't know if Brooklyn is predominantly Catholic or Protestant, but in addition to the Catholic church, there is a Presbyterian church, a Methodist church, a Church of Christ, and what sounds like a Baptist church in (or around) Brooklyn. And this is in a town with a population of just 1,400, with only 615 households. Somebodies gotta be filling those pews! Not to mention folks in private prayer groups.

Last edited:
I think it's also to protect them from being cyber-stalked and sleuthed.

I have friends and family who live in Delphi, Indiana and after that crime they said that they were getting tons of friend requests and messages on social media, even though they weren't connected to the case. People were basically going to the search engine and scrolling through names of people who lived there. When they refused to answer back, they were harassed and doxxed and accused of not wanting the case solved-and this was by people in sleuthing groups, not LE. If I were Mollie's friends, I would tighten down like Fort Knox.

I certainly hope you are right but I think I’m in the ‘it’s gone cold’ camp.

It's a little early to call it "gone cold" IMHO. When they start drastically scaling back personnel and other resources to a tiny fraction of what they have now it will be concerning. But as long as someone in LE is actively working on it every day it's not really a cold case anyway. I get the impression that Iowa LE is very professional, and very committed to Mollie's case since it's pretty obvious she didn't run away. They know it was foul play and they want her found. Mollie's family seems to be supportive of their efforts as well.

bbm
How would FBI involvement, be in any way, evidence of a link in other cases? This specific case has no more in common with the others mentioned than the fact that they were all victims of foul play. imo.
It's my amateur opinion, emphasis on amateur, that they are indeed analyzing any connection to the other cases.
Really? I've really struggled to think of anything to say on this case because LE have been so tight-lipped. How have you managed to come to such specific conclusions?
Again, emphasis on *amateur* speculation here.
They have a red t-shirt we are speculating is Mollie's. I further speculate they can obtain DNA from it, if only small skin cells. I the DNA doesn't match up to existing records, they will go after a familial match. Certain cues from LE lead me to believe they are already testing, and talking to the DA. But hey, just an armchair amateur here. We'll see!

This case has gone cold.
I agree. No new information. LE silent. 1 month has gone by.

Maybe LE has some pressing reason to not say more, but I think it's a big mistake on their part. The public is very interested in finding Mollie. I think LE is missing the opportunity to allow the public to help. We can't help if they give us nothing to work with. The press conference with the map and list of what to look for in a suspect was too broad and general.

Five years from now someone new will head the case and go through evidence and ask for the public's help but by that time memories fade.

It's my amateur opinion, emphasis on amateur, that they are indeed analyzing any connection to the other cases.

Again, emphasis on *amateur* speculation here.
They have a red t-shirt we are speculating is Mollie's. I further speculate they can obtain DNA from it, if only small skin cells. I the DNA doesn't match up to existing records, they will go after a familial match. Certain cues from LE lead me to believe they are already testing, and talking to the DA. But hey, just an armchair amateur here. We'll see!

Mollie’s mother has confirmed the red shirt was NOT Mollie’s.

I have trouble understanding that as well. Our co-op doesn't even have cameras, never has, and that hasn't affected our ability to pay outside in the dropbox.

The employee page was removed because people were making a jump from this case to one in Indiana and harassing an employee who they thought slightly resembled that sketch (even though it seems like most of middle America resembles it).

Hi mtnlites, in the attached photos of the TIP building, I have circled in red what appears to be cameras. Are they lights or what, now that you say there are no cameras on the building. By the way, thank you for the confirmation.

Attachments

• 961C69B0-F66B-455A-BBBA-A77FB04C4FA7.jpeg
    961C69B0-F66B-455A-BBBA-A77FB04C4FA7.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 88
  • D1881795-AD84-4B04-AAF3-E6EC6126100C.jpeg
    D1881795-AD84-4B04-AAF3-E6EC6126100C.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Which makes no sense. The check is made out to the co-op. You can't cash it. There are ways of removing ink from checks, but if someone is that sophisticated, they're going to wear a ski mask.
Agree wit
Which makes no sense. The check is made out to the co-op. You can't cash it. There are ways of removing ink from checks, but if someone is that sophisticated, they're going to wear a ski mask.

Agree w/ what you say, Paul, which brings to mind 2 related points:

1. CCTV footage even of a shadowy character in a ski mask could provide tons of evidence, like overall build, age, gender, clothing logos, time/location of perp(s) pinpointed, possible fingerprint locations, etc. Maybe the footage would show 2 perps, which would be valuable info as well.

2. Bad guys don't always want cash. A personal check makes a good starting point for ID theft. Before I caught the mistake, my (major national) bank showed a "check" of mine cashed for $300, cleared in a distant state. I reported "suspicious behavior" and the funds were restored, but bank personnel explained that a checking acct number is all someone needed to make a decent attempt at siphoning money.

-AC

I just saw this posted on Facebook. And now I am starting to THINK do you think someone PRETENDED to be a cop and approached Mollie? Just a thought I had. It has been happening a lot lately from what I have seen all over the USA. But if that happened I would THINK someone in the area would have seen a car that resembled a cop car (or saw a vehicle with flashing lights). Also WHY would Mollie get into a cop car UNLESS the perp had a stun gun or something to subdue her and put her in his car. Of course this woman got away and was only raped (I would think the perp who took Mollie would do more than just rape). But it COULD still be another scenario. If it was a cop impersonator Mollie may have been MORE LIKELY to walk up the vehicle (to where the perp COULD subdue her).

Police impersonator at large after raping woman in Grand Prairie, police say | Crime | Dallas News

Not everyone goes to church on Wednesdays - Mollie didn't, her mom didn't go. I never went to church on Wednesdays growing up.

Many people in my small town attend Wednesday night services (not me, because I am a heathen), but not enough to make the town look different or anything. And I live in what is commonly referred to as the buckle of the Bible belt. The only way you can even tell that people have been to Wed night services is because our town's 3 restaurants are full come 8:15pm. On any given day at any given time our streets are basically empty.

Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find it.
Was Mollie running on concrete or a dirt road most of what we believe her jog path to be? If dirt, do we know if any fresh tire tracks or two sets of fresh prints (one Mollie's) have been found? We may not know this of course.
I'm hoping there are footprints. You can determine so very much from footprints.

I certainly hope you are right but I think I’m in the ‘it’s gone cold’ camp.

Respectfully, none of us, unless we are part of the authorities investigating this case, or are close enough to someone inside the case to be privy to info on the case, has a real clue as to whether this case is red hot or ice cold. Many assume because LE is neither giving us the facts of the investigation, nor are they asking us for specific things, surely they must not know what they are looking for. I am not LE, but I have close family and extended family that have been LE for two generations, so I do know a little bit about how LE works. Just because we want to know everything being done right now, it does not mean we have that right to know. We do not have the right to know diddly squat about the investigation. LE are paid professionals, doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. I am sure the local LE may not have the real experience to handle an investigation of this magnitude alone, but I am equally sure that the FBI is very capable of providing any guidance and support, and surely are. I am confident that, if we have thought of something, someone in LE on this case has probably thought of it too. I believe this case is far from cold, and I do expect it to be investigated to the successful arrest and prosecution of whoever is respnsible for Mollie's disappearance. Blind faith in LE? No, just faith in the men and women busting their asses to bring Mollie home to her loved ones. JMO

Respectfully, none of us, unless we are part of the authorities investigating this case, or are close enough to someone inside the case to be privy to info on the case, has a real clue as to whether this case is red hot or ice cold. Many assume because LE is neither giving us the facts of the investigation, nor are they asking us for specific things, surely they must not know what they are looking for. I am not LE, but I have close family and extended family that have been LE for two generations, so I do know a little bit about how LE works. Just because we want to know everything being done right now, it does not mean we have that right to know. We do not have the right to know diddly squat about the investigation. LE are paid professionals, doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. I am sure the local LE may not have the real experience to handle an investigation of this magnitude alone, but I am equally sure that the FBI is very capable of providing any guidance and support, and surely are. I am confident that, if we have thought of something, someone in LE on this case has probably thought of it too. I believe this case is far from cold, and I do expect it to be investigated to the successful arrest and prosecutio of whoever is respnsible for Mollie's disappearance. Blind faith in LE? No, just faith in the men and women busting their asses to bring Mollie home to her loved ones. JMO

Bravo to this post overall SteveP. As far as the BBM, you'd be surprised what WS folks have contributed to LE as tips that had been a stone unturned. : )

Jmo it is rare that an arrest is made in a missing person case, unless the perp is a spouse perhap, or if there is video of a vehicle like Mickie, until the victim is found. And only then if usable evidence is found as well.

Many people in my small town attend Wednesday night services (not me, because I am a heathen), but not enough to make the town look different or anything. And I live in what is commonly referred to as the buckle of the Bible belt. The only way you can even tell that people have been to Wed night services is because our town's 3 restaurants are full come 8:15pm. On any given day at any given time our streets are basically empty.

mtnlites, I know I never went to church on Wednesday (and don't go to church now because I am a heathen too. LOL!!). But USUALLY in small towns many people go to church on Wednesday. I am not the norm. I know I live in a small town and on Wednesday nights the restaurants (mainly family restaurants) are packed usually after church. And from what I can see (from SharonNeedles' videos) Brooklyn is a small town.

I agree. No new information. LE silent. 1 month has gone by.

Maybe LE has some pressing reason to not say more, but I think it's a big mistake on their part. The public is very interested in finding Mollie. I think LE is missing the opportunity to allow the public to help. We can't help if they give us nothing to work with. The press conference with the map and list of what to look for in a suspect was too broad and general.

Five years from now someone new will head the case and go through evidence and ask for the public's help but by that time memories fade.
Cold after ONE month? As several posters have pointed out, this is not TV, and in real life, crimes are not solved in one hour. Investigators have to be thorough and diligent and protect the privacy rights of individuals. If you've followed other cases, you know that LE doesn't arrest suspects on the public's time frame. They take care to assemble evidence sufficient enough to bring the case to trial before arresting a suspect. Speaking of which, LE is also very careful with terminology. They say "person of interest" before they say "suspect" and even then, they are not quick to name names. The first case I followed was the Laci/Scott Peterson case. I am sure that LE knew from the jump who they would be arresting for that heinous crime. It took them four months to get the evidence and make the arrest. Props to all of the dedicated LEOs who work behind the scenes on difficult cases and take all of the heat when the public gets anxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1