Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I'm mistaken, this thread is going off in an incorrect direction with people thinking that she made it home safely from her run. LE has NOT said this, and in fact, has said they are confident in the direction she was running.
Let's not have pages and pages discussing her making it home from her run. According to LE, she did NOT.
If someone has a quote from the lead investigator, FBI, whatever that says different, please post the link.
See link to police twitter saying she made it home from her run on page 56 of this thread #3

Last edited:
They’ve clearly stated that the red shirt is missing but they haven’t mentioned if her running clothes and shoes were at the home or not. There has to be a reason for them not mentioning this.
Have there been any recent articles about the red shirt? That seemed like it was in the early information but has disappeared in everything more recent so may be a non-issue now...

How do you know? If it is fake, LE should check it out - it could be the perp?
Someone linked Mollie’s real Facebook page. It’s filled with posts, photos, etc. and has been in existence for quite a while.

This other page only has a couple of photos - one of which has been copied from Mollie’s real FB page - no posts, no friends, no history. In my opinion, it’s a newly created account spoofing Mollie’s to create drama.

If Mollie wanted to send a message via social media, certainly she’d use her real account that her friends and family know about.

In my opinion, the fake page was set up by a troll, not the perp. The page has been reported to FB, according to commenters, and several have tagged the local LE. I’m guessing LE wouldn’t ignore it, but could probably determine pretty quickly whether it has any value to the case.

If the Ames police are correct in their statement, then that changes things quite a bit. 10pm is much later than we'd been assuming.
Even though they are a better source than news media, I'd still like to see confirmation from the LE that is working on the case directly since it's very different from the previous statements from the sheriff and the DCI spokespeople.

Per the FB Finding Mollie Tibbetts Page, there was an update today 3:00 pm regarding clothing
dark colored running shorts, a pink sports top and running shoes.
Do you have a link to that? TIA

I looked up the weather at the National Weather Service and it doesn't look like the area had a storm that night. The overall comment for the day was:
"NO SIGNIFICANT WEATHER WAS OBSERVED."
National Weather Service Climate

No storms on July 18th. However, starting around 1:00am early on July 19th the storms came and it rained pretty much for the better part of 8 hours.

Grinnell Regional, IA History | Weather Underground

Daily Observations
12:15 AM 72 F 65 F 80 % SE 8 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Partly Cloudy
12:55 AM 70 F 66 F 87 % SSE 8 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Cloudy
1:15 AM 68 F 65 F 90 % SE 12 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.3 in 0.0 in Heavy Rain
1:35 AM 68 F 65 F 91 % SE 10 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.3 in 0.0 in Light Rain
1:55 AM 68 F 65 F 91 % ESE 9 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.5 in 0.0 in Heavy Rain

2:15 AM 68 F 65 F 93 % ESE 10 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Cloudy
2:35 AM 67 F 64 F 90 % SE 10 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Cloudy
2:55 AM 67 F 65 F 92 % SE 12 mph 21 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Drizzle
3:15 AM 67 F 65 F 93 % SE 15 mph 23 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Rain
3:35 AM 66 F 65 F 94 % SE 16 mph 22 mph 28.9 in 0.5 in 0.0 in Heavy Rain
3:55 AM 66 F 64 F 94 % ESE 10 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.7 in 0.0 in Light Rain
4:15 AM 65 F 64 F 94 % ESE 13 mph 18 mph 28.9 in 0.1 in 0.0 in Heavy Rain

4:35 AM 64 F 63 F 96 % E 14 mph 20 mph 28.9 in 0.2 in 0.0 in Cloudy
4:55 AM 65 F 64 F 97 % E 14 mph 20 mph 28.9 in 0.2 in 0.0 in Heavy Rain
5:15 AM 65 F 64 F 96 % ESE 14 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Rain
5:35 AM 65 F 64 F 97 % E 9 mph 16 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Drizzle
5:55 AM 65 F 64 F 97 % CALM 0 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.1 in 0.0 in Heavy Rain
6:15 AM 65 F 64 F 97 % E 14 mph 18 mph 28.9 in 0.1 in 0.0 in Heavy Rain
6:35 AM 64 F 63 F 97 % E 14 mph 18 mph 28.9 in 0.2 in 0.0 in Rain
6:55 AM 64 F 64 F 97 % E 6 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.2 in 1.7 in Light Rain

7:15 AM 64 F 64 F 97 % E 13 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Cloudy
7:35 AM 64 F 63 F 97 % E 12 mph 0 mph 28.9 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Rain
7:55 AM 64 F 63 F 97 % E 12 mph 18 mph 28.9 in 0.1 in 0.0 in Heavy Rain
8:15 AM 64 F 63 F 97 % ESE 12 mph 0 mph 28.8 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Drizzle
8:35 AM 64 F 63 F 97 % ESE 12 mph 17 mph 28.8 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Rain
8:55 AM 64 F 63 F 97 % E 13 mph 16 mph 28.8 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Rain
9:15 AM 64 F 63 F 97 % ESE 12 mph 0 mph 28.8 in 0.0 in 0.0 in Light Rain

It’s not just you I have been ready to throw my iPad at the wall in frustration as the site has been grinding to a halt. A lot of people care about Mollie and her case though so I understand a lot of people are trying to post and access the thread.

WHY isn't Websleuths on TapaTalk any longer?? I'm mostly on my phone or tablet and this site is terrible now via phone and tablet. It was great with TapaTalk. Anyone know if it will be available on TapaTalk soon?

Not to be a naysayer, but that tweet says “after messaging her Bf” when, in fact, that’s when he opened it. Splitting hairs almost, but when i see deviations from exact facts (or lack thereof) i tend to roll my eyes and discount the source to some extent.

I’ve given up trying to read pages of threads I’ve missed, which kills my OCD LOL, i was all caught up to about 10 pages ago, but my anxiety can’t take it anymore :(

Even though they are a better source than news media, I'd still like to see confirmation from the LE that is working on the case directly since it's very different from the previous statements from the sheriff and the DCI spokespeople.

If you scroll down on the Ames Police's Twitter, though, you can see a few comments where people are correcting the earlier statement that she went missing on a run. Mollie's own mom tweeted to the Ames police "She did not go missing on a run. The run occurred earlier in the evening."

"We are re-posting this info and want to help clarify information shared earlier this week. Mollie did not disappear while running, rather, at some point after 10pm on July 18 after messaging her boyfriend. She was staying in Brooklyn, Iowa. #FindingMollieTibbetts"

This is per the @AmesPolice twitter 1 hour ago FWIW

Its no wonder its all so confusing. Even LE from different departments are not saying exactly the same thing. Although we have seen a few updates today that are hinting she made it back home. This update implies she may have sent that last snapchat around 10pm and disappeared after that. Which implies she was at the house unless she had gone out again.

But the dogs being in the basement and her not making it to dinner are confusing though. Maybe she was walking over to her Moms after the first jog and decided to drop in on someone and they never let her leave.

Gosh its all so confusing.

Right from Ames Police Twitter below

"We are re-posting this info and want to help clarify information shared earlier this week. Mollie did not disappear while running, rather, at some point after 10pm on July 18 after messaging her boyfriend."

Ames Police (@AmesPolice) | Twitter

So this dessert was it for the next day? Did anybody clarify that? They had that fair to go to...assuming they were planning a picnic box lunch thing. Her not showing up for dinner or making this dessert when it was specifically mentioned is really important if it was for the next day. Surprised mom didn’t send a “where on earth are you?” Or “do you want me to make it?”

This!!!

This is my first post here ( ive been following for a few days) but Ive been thinking about this all along. I really feel like she was headed to her mom's - now whether she actually ever left to go there or was somehow stopped before that, Im not sure. However, my gut says she started heading that way since the dogs were in the basement and there seems to be no signs of struggle at home. A few things that would make sense to go along with that:

- maybe she took her red shirt with her in case she stayed late and just planned to crash at moms. It would make sense to me that she would walk/run given the short distance and then if she decided to come back home, have her brother or mom give her a ride since it would be dark
- i would think its possible she had more than one pair of contacts or glasses?! Maybe not but I have friends that have multiple pairs of each so I dont think it would be super far fetched
-snapchat to bf: perhaps it wasnt exactly "goodnight" but more of a "im heading out to my moms"/"miss you" message - who knows what time he got off work, when he normally goes to bed, etc so maybe she wasnt sure if they would talk again that evening

Things really bothering me:

1. Given the dessert was for the next day and her mom had specifically gotten the ingredients, it is very odd to me that she didnt show to make the recipe, even if she didnt show to eat. However, both would have been a huge red flag for me as mom since Im pretty sure Ive read that her mom thought she was indeed coming to eat. And it would have been an even bigger red flag if the next morning came and I still hadnt heard anything given she was supposed to take food to work. Not saying the mom is suspect in the least, just saying there must be some things we are missing bc that doesnt add up

2. It seems a little weird she would have gone running twice and then left again to walk to moms ( if the 2 times of 5:30 and 7:30 are accurate when she was spotted). Since the " she made it back to the house after that 730 run" statement hasnt been 100% confirmed ( that Ive seen), perhaps she left to run to moms for the second run and something happened along the way. That seems to make the most sense - and maybe she had changed clothes for that run if she was sweaty from the first ( black sports bra vs pink). Not sure where mom lives but if she would have had to run through town to get there, that would also make sense right?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

So, is that official enough?
AmesPolice twitter

Thanks for this.
Maybe this is official enough for those who wanted a quote from LE

Sorry. Still not good enough for me. Particularly when the Ames PD posted right afterwards on their FB page that they have "NO INFORMATION ABOUT THE INVESTIGATION" and it is in direct conflict with FBI and DCI. Also, Ames PD is NOT involved in the investigation, they are over 90 miles away, close to 2 hours away by car from Brooklyn! I have no idea why they would post such a thing, so no, I'm not taking this as current/true information. this is just my opinion and I'm not going down that rabbit hole that she got home after her run. Again, JMO

"We are re-posting this info and want to help clarify information shared earlier this week. Mollie did not disappear while running, rather, at some point after 10pm on July 18 after messaging her boyfriend. She was staying in Brooklyn, Iowa. #FindingMollieTibbetts"

This is per the @AmesPolice twitter 1 hour ago FWIW

So, is that official enough?
AmesPolice twitter

Thanks for this.
Maybe this is official enough for those who wanted a quote from LE

Nothing is good enough for WS apparently lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online