Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't even know how to check it out, but did you say what the date was? My only question right now is was it the same exact date. I actually read the tweet, someone must have posted it on here, a long time ago, and it was suggested that she put it there because people were always mistaking her for a younger teen and she thought it was amusing. So does it say the date and time?
If you look by her name that is bolded, it shows 11/14.

Mollie Tibbetts (@Motibbs) on Twitter

Maybe someone else did it? I do not know how Twitter works but I'm sure someone here can explain it. Also, how do we even know it was at the top of the page? And if it was, why wouldn't someone have brought it up before? There was some conversation about that particular event, but I don't recall anyone saying she pinned it to the top of the page, or that it had any significance. I would think someone would have noticed this before. Actually I'm not even sure what that means. That it appeared at the top but had a different date? When was it posted, or pinned, there? Are you sure it was on the day of her disapearance? It just doesn't sound right.

Only the acct owner can pin a tweet. Twitter used to reserve pin use for verified accts (public figures) but started allowing all users to pin. It's a way to feature something you simply want to remain at the top of your tweet feed. I've never pinned anything, but if I was to pin to a tweet, it might be anything from a zinger on politics/policy, a quote that I like, or a picture of my Labrador. People pin all kinds of content. No idea why she pinned that tweet but it's been there since 11/17.

If he was transporting her, she was prob drugged at this point and could have been under the cover over a pick-up truck's bed or inside the camper on the pick-up. Even in a long, shiny tool box in the bed of a construction worker's pick-up. It was a hot July night and he'd just done a lot of hard, hot work -- he needed the biggest, iciest drink the truck stop had. So what if he had dirt and lots of grime all over him -- it was part of the job. Besides, maybe the truck stop has a restaurant and drive-through window, does it?
or a tarp covered pickup, you are correct. no idea about the drive-through, but I'm thinking we're on the same page.

Would MT have been able to pass for a younger girl in her jogging outfit? Would she have appeared ... womanly, even from a distance? Anyone familiar with the fit of female jogging outfits?

My read of the pinned Tweet is that MT found it funny/outrageous she was mistaken for a ten-year-old child. I have a feeling it was a common thing to bring up with her friends/family that she looks young for her age. I can't remember if it was an actual status/caption she posted on SM or a comment on one of her own posts, but MT had made mention jokingly about "looking her age" or something like that before.

A lot of people pin funny/ridiculous, etc. Tweets to the top of their page. IMO I think that's all it was and nothing more or nothing that she did because of her disappearance.

Edit: On one of her IG photos, she says "Sometimes I wear makeup and actually look my age." This makes me think it's kind of a running joke with friends/family that she looks younger than her age.
Thank you, I just saw this after I already asked a question about it, and this is what i remember as well. I had the impression from another post that she quickly put it there when she was abducted, and was surprised it hadn't come up. I thought maybe there was a concrete time that she put it there that day, but even then it would be a stretch. Imo

Okay-long one-this one has been bugging me for a week or so now. Will probably come out in multiple parts.

I’m a runner. I’ve lived in the Midwest most of my life, so I think I (may!) understand some context.

According to a weather website, it was hot July 18 in Brooklyn. July 18 is usually the hottest all year with July 21st the most humid (highest average dew point). I am often tempted to wait till it cools down a bit to run, but waiting on July 18 wouldn’t have done much good. It was 86 degrees at 5:00, 84 at 6:00, 79 at 7:30 and still 77 at 8:30. She’s not going to get much relief from waiting, especially with the later sunset. Sun’s gonna be up, and it’s gonna be hot- might as well get going, asthma or not.

Also, if I can avoid it, I do not eat before I run. I will almost throw up within three hours of eating; if I need to eat something, it will be small. NO WAY I’m eating brats before I run, especially in that heat.

RE: the half marathon training: most runners, even former track kids, will have a training plan in mind; there are several well-known sites for this online. I would be stunned if she didn’t have one at all...I’d be even more surprised if it wasn’t printed out and/or shared with someone. I had a calendar of recommended distances at home and at work- my husband watched it- maybe her bf or mom did, too?

I didn’t always follow the plan exactly, but July 18 was a Wednesday. Usually mid-week is a shorter distance (very likely 3-5 miles or 45 min as suggested)...if such a schedule existed, it might very well limit the radius that she would run.

More thoughts in a minute...

My read of the pinned Tweet is that MT found it funny/outrageous she was mistaken for a ten-year-old child. I have a feeling it was a common thing to bring up with her friends/family that she looks young for her age. I can't remember if it was an actual status/caption she posted on SM or a comment on one of her own posts, but MT had made mention jokingly about "looking her age" or something like that before.

A lot of people pin funny/ridiculous, etc. Tweets to the top of their page. IMO I think that's all it was and nothing more or nothing that she did because of her disappearance.

Edit: On one of her IG photos, she says "Sometimes I wear makeup and actually look my age." This makes me think it's kind of a running joke with friends/family that she looks younger than her age.

Agree completely. She also may have editorialized to make it seem more funny to her BF and friends. It is flattering for a woman to be mistaken for younger than she is. People used to call this kind of story telling/posting a "humble brag" - when you post something that's self-depreciating but it's also a little bit of a brag or flattering to you. An example is angrily writing, "Some guy came up to me and said I'm too pretty to be a doctor!" - you're pretending to be mad because the guy is rude but you're also broadcasting to all your friends that someone said you're pretty.

I have taken all of her posts as completely in line with how every other smart, funny, early-20s student posts.

If he was transporting her, she was prob drugged at this point and could have been under the cover over a pick-up truck's bed or inside the camper on the pick-up. Even in a long, shiny tool box in the bed of a construction worker's pick-up. It was a hot July night and he'd just done a lot of hard, hot work -- he needed the biggest, iciest drink the truck stop had. So what if he had dirt and lots of grime all over him -- it was part of the job. Besides, maybe the truck stop has a restaurant and drive-through window, does it?
That long, shiny toolbox would be the perfect place to hide a body.

Agree completely. She also may have editorialized to make it seem more funny to her BF and friends. It is flattering for a woman to be mistaken for younger than she is. People used to call this kind of story telling/posting a "humble brag" - when you post something that's self-depreciating but it's also a little bit of a brag or flattering to you. An example is angrily writing, "Some guy came up to me and said I'm too pretty to be a doctor!" - you're pretending to be mad because the guy is rude but you're also broadcasting to all your friends that someone said you're pretty.

I have taken all of her posts as completely in line with how every other smart, funny, early-20s student posts.
That is the perfect explanation. When I was in my twenties, I went to pick out a puppy to buy from a breeder. She looked at me and said, " honey, where is your mother?" Humble brag.

LE can lie to a suspect but it's going to come up at trial and a good defense lawyer would paint it as entrapment and inept police work. There's always a balancing act for LE and prosecutors: you want to catch your perpetrator but you don't want to have him walk free because your evidence is inadmissible due to constitutional or evidentiary violations.

There are a number of cases that prohibit evidence from being admitted in court when LE violates certain rights or procedures. If anyone is interested, the "fruit from the poisonous tree" doctrine explains how far reaching the consequences can be for LE overreach.

I feel profoundly sad after looking at her twitter. What an absolutely lovely young woman.
I know, feel the same way. Mollie looks to be your all American, small town girl. Seems to be very close to family and has a close knit group of girls she spends limited time with and just a sweet disposition. Praying she’s found soon.

More about the running angle:

MT had an iPhone and Fitbit- neither of these would help her with her training per se. Given her age and interaction with SM, I’ll bet anything she had a running app. I use RunKeeper. As I run, it tracks my progress, telling me how far I’ve gone and what my average pace is. I’m praying she had one of these apps and that LE can access the data. I don’t know all the ins and outs of it, but it clearly tracks something- hopefully enough to give them some rough location.

Also, in terms of the timeline- as I mentioned previously, I know about running in hot Midwest weather. I think it would be very unusual for her to hang out in her workout clothes post-run. Not only is it not hygienic/healthy for a woman to keep on sweaty running gear, it’s just not comfortable. I strip pretty much immediately. I have to believe that LE/the FBI would have some forensic understanding of how long damp clothes had been off...unless she washed them right away, which would be crummy luck. If she didn’t have some wet workout clothes in the hamper or washer, I’d say it was likely she was wearing them. JMO

If you look by her name that is bolded, it shows 11/14.

Mollie Tibbetts (@Motibbs) on Twitter
I in no way think that the pinned tweet is relevant but she wrote it in November, and unless y’all know of a way I don’t, you cannot tell WHEN it was pinned. Could have been pinned in November, could have been pinned in March. I’m sure Twitter could tell us (or LE) though.

You can always go back through your old tweets and pin one.

Edited: because I can’t spell.

LE can lie to a suspect but it's going to come up at trial and a good defense lawyer would paint it as entrapment and inept police work. There's always a balancing act for LE and prosecutors: you want to catch your perpetrator but you don't want to have him walk free because your evidence is inadmissible due to constitutional or evidentiary violations.

There are a number of cases that prohibit evidence from being admitted in court when LE violates certain rights or procedures. If anyone is interested, the "fruit from the poisonous tree" doctrine explains how far reaching the consequences can be for LE overreach.
@Alethea love your posts. So helpful for those of us, like myself, that only know enough “legally” speaking to misconstrue the process. Lol. Appreciate the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader