Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know who I have in mind, but will bide my time on voicing that as I could be way off the mark! I think if she was out, and given the weather, she may have encountered someone who she knew who offered her a lift either to her mother's or to the boyfriend's. If she was at home, I still have a person in mind. I sadly don't think either way and after this length of time she will be found alive. And as others have said, I think too the police may have a suspect/s that for now they are keeping quiet on. Obviously this is still a live case and they are not going to divulge all they may know which may hamper their eventually bringing the case to court.

I find it very interesting that police have actually said they are hopeful she's alive. I follow missing person's cases quite a bit and I don't recall that ever being explicitly stated before. Of course everyone *does* hope a missing person is still alive, but the fact that they came out and said it makes me think it's their way of inferring that they have some indication, like heart rate from the fitbit or something.

It is possible the police are trying to convey this to the public for the purposes of the investigation but privately amongst themselves believe the opposite. They are not going to say they believe a missing person is deceased for the victim’s families sake unless they have remains and/or concrete proof the victim has been killed.

I’m sad to say that after 24-72 hours statistically hope fades that a victim is alive but I very much hope and pray Mollie is an exception as sometimes does happen.

bbm

I find it very interesting that police have actually said they are hopeful she's alive. I follow missing person's cases quite a bit and I don't recall that ever being explicitly stated before. Of course everyone *does* hope a missing person is still alive, but the fact that they came out and said it makes me think it's their way of inferring that they have some indication, like heart rate from the fitbit or something.

For MT's Fitbit to be transmitting *current* heart rate implies her Fitbit and phone batteries are charged (at least to a degree that allows both devices to be functional) and the phone is connecting to one or more cell sites and is uploading data.

If that were the case LE would be all over for triangulating a location... there is no evidence that is happening.

LE might announce they 'believe' MT is still alive for the following reasons:

• to confuse a perp, to make them think maybe they did not fully disable MT's phone and they will return to a scene to check... with areas under surveillance.

• LE has reason to believe MT is a runaway and needed some chill time.

• no hard evidence exists that even hints toward abduction and/or demise.

I don’t see indications of or references to mental health issues. She was interested in helping people to the degree she was majoring in psychology. Her SM profile strikes me as outgoing, heart on your sleeve, open book mixed in with typical 20 something fitness & beauty priorities. IDK- just my impressions based on family & friend interviews & SM.

Yes. WS had this discussion in thread 1. Mollie was posting about mental health issues the same time Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain died, Suicide. Many people across our country were having a "Conversation" telling people to not be ashamed to ask for help if they are having anxiety and depression.

I know LE can often check to see what phones hit off a specific tower...this has been done for a few decades by now. Was hoping there was a more specific and high tech method of seeing exactly which phones were where and when I guess...

There is

Can you give any examples?

There were several I read referenced in this thread. I'm also thinking about Danielle Stislicki and there was a very early search warrant after her disappearance for a home of a man that was originally not listed as a POI. He has since been arrested and charged in a different case in which he assaulted a jogger. He has not yet been charged in Dani's case but is the only suspect LE has made known.

It is common that LE make contact with the perp within 24-48 hrs of an investigation. Rarely do you hear about arrests being made that quickly, though, especially without knowing where the victim is. JMO.

It's possible that the fiancee was the target and not Mollie. The fiancee lived there, but Mollie was just there occasionally. Maybe this case is so odd (no press conferences, no family members begging, information very vague) because Mollie wasn't the original target and the FBI can't release information.

Last edited:
And this is the frustration, if LE don't need the public's help why aren't they telling the family that, why is Mollie's dad asking for help. I don't buy that LE don't need more information. JMO
I can't answer that. But, it is not uncommon for close family to be left largely in the dark during an investigation as LE builds a case. The risk for key evidence and information to get out and jeopardize the case is too great.

I really doubt VSCO is connected to her disappearance (at least I'd hope it's not, because I use it and love it for its photo-editing features; the photographer in me finds it addicting and was addicted to it several months ago - of course, I use it to edit my photos and create higher-quality images than other apps allow than to post photos of myself wearing minimal clothing. I would never do that in a place anyone could find). I don't think she was doing it to attract people, though - likely she was just using it to track her own physical progress. She may not have even been aware the app was public, tbh. I wasn't until just now. I only use it for its camera - I used to have it set as my default.

This is a really strange case it is really bizarre how law enforcement aren’t appealing for any information or even giving a timeline appealing for witnesses in a location. I’ve never seen a strategy like it before I just hope it works.

They are asking for information, but not directly. Here is an example:

Authorities are asking for the public's help in finding Tibbetts and say no information is too trivial. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the anonymous hotline at the Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa at 800-452-1111 or send an anonymous tip here.

New details provide insight into night Iowa college student was last seen

I think I see what you're saying though, and I definitely think it would be more effective if they would hold a press conference and ask for the public's help directly. I said earlier that I wish they would ask residents to search their properties. They should be looking for anything suspicious like disturbed ground, tire tracks, unlocked gates, abandoned vehicles, etc. As the article states, no information is too trivial.

(Edited to correct link)

Last edited:
What about a bikini? It’s the same thing! I think she was proud of how her body was looking after all the running she does and was showing the results rather than trying to be anything else. She’s smiling like she’s pleased not posing in a seductive way. MOO
There’s a perceived intamacy factor I view. Generally the public is not in your bedroom, your bathroom or a fitting room with you as you are in your bra and panties which are another more intimate attire. Agreed a bikini may show perhaps even more in some cases at a public place like a beach...it is the intimacy of the other pictures I would have issues with my daughters...perhaps it’s a generational difference.

There were several I read referenced in this thread. I'm also thinking about Danielle Stislicki and there was a very early search warrant after her disappearance for a home of a man that was originally not listed as a POI. He has since been arrested and charged in a different case in which he assaulted a jogger. He has not yet been charged in Dani's case but is the only suspect LE has made known.

It is common that LE make contact with the perp within 24-48 hrs of an investigation. Rarely do you hear about arrests being made that quickly, though, especially without knowing where the victim is. JMO.
that guy was a security guard where she worked at

If MT's red 'camp' shirt is missing wouldn't that indicate MT took it with her when she left for work?

But that would not make sense if MT had left behind her glasses and contacts. If MT's glasses were for nearsightedness she'd need them for distance; if they were for farsightedness she'd need them for reading... or both. Whichever way, she'd need her glasses if we accept the report of DJ's mother stating MT can't see without them.

What are we missing regarding the 'missing' red shirt?

It is possible the police are trying to convey this to the public for the purposes of the investigation but privately amongst themselves believe the opposite. They are not going to say they believe a missing person is deceased for the victim’s families sake unless they have remains and/or concrete proof the victim has been killed.

I’m sad to say that after 24-72 hours statistically hope fades that a victim is alive but I very much hope and pray Mollie is an exception as sometimes does happen.

Agreed, but my point is that in other missing person's cases I don't recall LE explicitly stating they are hopeful the person is alive. That's the part that seems to be different in this case. Usually it goes without saying that everyone hopes the person is still alive, so why make the point to mention it for Mollie? I do concede I could be reading too much into it, but it stood out to me as being different than other missing person's cases.

They are asking for information, but not directly. Here is an example:

Authorities are asking for the public's help in finding Tibbetts and say no information is too trivial. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the anonymous hotline at the Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa at 800-452-1111 or send an anonymous tip here.

'I love you Grandpa;' Man recounts family's final moments before wildfire engulfed their home

I think I see what you're saying though, and I definitely think it would be more effective if they would hold a press conference and ask for the public's help directly. I said earlier that I wish they would ask residents to search their properties. They should be looking for anything suspicious like disturbed ground, tire tracks, unlocked gates, abandoned vehicles, etc. As the article states, no information is too trivial.

Yes, I do wish they would let the public know what kind of info would be helpful. When hearing - "Call in if have a tip," it's easy to think, "Well, I didn't see an abduction so I don't have info."

But guidance like - did anyone you work with skip work or arrive late recently? Show up with rain-soaked clothes or dirty shoes? Have scratches? With questions like that, people might remember something "off" that they previously disregarded.

I'm holding on to hope that LE has a specific direction they are headed and everything will make sense to us later. Fingers still crossed this will be resolved soon.

jmopinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member