Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we knew who NORMALLY took her to work. And who was planning to take her to work the morning she disappeared. Since that information hasn't been revealed, I figure it is pertinent. She obviously had other arrangements to get to work at least some of the time since her brother called her to see if she needed a ride/the car. If he always took her, or she always drove herself, he wouldn't have needed to check with her. He would have known.
Agree! I'm thinking it is pertinent information not being released on purpose.

Agree... people Mollies age are extremely savvy. Not dumb enough to drive to the scene with their phone on their person. Not dumb enough to allow her phone and fitbit to stay with her for long. And quite possibly would try to create digital alibis for themselves.

It depends. Some really impulsive people and seeming smart people at the end of the day are very stupid. See Stephen McDaniel from Lauren Giddens case. He made a lot of really stupid mistakes, with technology, even considering he was an "academic guy" with a law degree. I mean the guy threw the body torso away in his outdoor garbage can and had videos of her apartment on his cell. Just saying. I think killers are usually *very* stupid and impulsive or very delusional and "think" they are smarter than everyone else.

I hope you find these Google Earth maps useful. They're screenshots taken from the Gray Hughes YouTube video I posted on Thread 4 #475.

New members, please click on pic to enlarge.

622 West Des Moines Street (Jack Building & Design). This is the location of the house where Mollie was staying.

View attachment 140301

Maps from slightly different angles. The colour difference is due to the fact that they were done in different years.

Relevant locations

View attachment 140311 View attachment 140312 View attachment 140313

Why would Google map car not actually include some roads? It is irritating the rest of 170th Street is not there and the not have the rest of 385th Street is missing from street view.

In a tiny town of 1500 that there is a 100th or 300th and anything street is interesting and a bit odd to me. What does it take to get a street to bear a name and not a number. It looks like Mollie may not have been running town streets but old country roads! How I wish they would release a graphic with the routes she may have used.

ok, i believe i am caught up and had one idea i wanted to share (apologies if i missed this though, started following yesterday so a bit to catch up on):

for some reason i cant shake the importance the dogs may play in offering a clue (not sure how but dogsitting is a big responsibility, dogs are smart & responsive animals, they require being let out at all hours of the day)...idk im a dog person so maybe im biased.

one thing im curious about is if mollie was dogsitting, what did the dogs do when she was at work? if she was working a full day at the summer camp, it seems like her shifts would be too long to leave them alone all day. so im wondering were her shifts shorter? did she come home at lunch? was it not the norm for the bf/brother/brother fiance were all out of town at the same time, so they just decided the dogs would have a few days of being in the house longer than normal?

OR was there someone (professional dog walker or neighbor at the co-op) that came by when mollie was at work to let the dogs potty & stretch their legs. this is definitely not uncommon in my area (though im not local) and would definitely explain how someone got into the home without showing signs of an intrusion and why the dogs weren't alarmed/scared. not sure if this fits, but it also could be someone mollie willingly let in, wasnt alarmed by finding them already in the home or was friendly with if she saw them on her run. if this person knew their schedule was overlapping with mollie's (re they both are taking care of the dogs/maybe coordinated a few things in person or via text), maybe thats how they became obsessed with her/her schedule? obviously LE would have looked into this, just curious angle to think about.

**also, totally not judging how long the dogs were left alone/trying to spiral the convo in that direction, it just seems it was likely on the cusp of how long dogs can stay home alone without either an accident or just being super hyper/annoying when you get home. obviously varies dog to dog with personality, age, breed though.

I still can't get past the fact that she didn't show up for dinner and no one was alarmed. I am the mom of a 19 year old and if she told me she was coming and even asked me to buy specific dessert ingredients, I'd be worried if she didn't come. And if I couldn't reach her after multiple attempts and she lived only a mile away, I'd be inclined to go check. Especially knowing she was there alone watching the dogs. This doesn't strike a chord with anyone else?

‘It doesn’t matter what we’re going through’: Missing student’s father wants help, not sympathy

"Citing information from family members, CBS affiliate KCCI reported that Tibbetts, who was dog-sitting at her boyfriend’s home, might have come back to the house after her jog on the evening of July 18 and may have been doing homework on her computer late that night. Rahn said he’s aware of the KCCI report, but he declined to comment further.

Several media outlets have reported that Jack and Tibbetts’s family members aren’t considered suspects. Rahn said he cannot comment on who is and isn’t a suspect."

Forgive me if this has already been shared, I can't keep up!! And I'm not in any way trying to cast suspicion on any person.
I simply found this interesting, that after all the many many news reports stating that certain people were cleared as suspects, here Rahn the DCI agent in charge seems to be undoing that.

Also interesting that he is neither confirming nor denying the coming home and doing homework theory.

Her boyfriend does not live in an apartment (the article is incorrect). He lives in a house with his brother and his brother's fiancee'. Molly's brother claims that he was told by law enforcement that she was doing homework that night, but law enforcement will not reveal what time.

Dalton opened the snapchat at 10PM, but it is unknown (or has not been revealed) what time it was sent.

Her brother didn't call her Thursday morning, he sent a text, which went unanswered.

If she was abducted while taking the dogs out, I don't think they would have been found in the basement.

What! A brother and his fiance' lived there too???? So she was not alone at that house. WOW - I have been operating with an entirely wrong notion.

The house has no fence but it sits back from the road a bit. Still I wonder if neighbors were used to seeing cars and trucks there because of the boys work?

Begs the question - why was she needed to watch dogs if his brother lived there? I noticed on the street view there was a new foundation being laid when the Google street video car was driving by. Was that for a workshop or garage? The two young men appear to be the construction biz -- that opens up all sorts of characters who may have come into contact with Mollie right?

I still can't get past the fact that she didn't show up for dinner and no one was alarmed. I am the mom of a 19 year old and if she told me she was coming and even asked me to buy specific dessert ingredients, I'd be worried if she didn't come. And if I couldn't reach her after multiple attempts and she lived only a mile away, I'd be inclined to go check. Especially knowing she was there alone watching the dogs. This doesn't strike a chord with anyone else?
This has been discussed at length, so it struck a chord with some posters here. Others have said (and I agree) that it really depends on family dynamics and also context, which we are missing.

What! A brother and his fiance' lived there too???? So she was not alone at that house. WOW - I have been operating with an entirely wrong notion.

The house has no fence but it sits back from the road a bit. Still I wonder if neighbors were used to seeing cars and trucks there because of the boys work?

Begs the question - why was she needed to watch dogs if his brother lived there? I noticed on the street view there was a new foundation being laid when the Google street video car was driving by. Was that for a workshop or garage? The two young men appear to be the construction biz -- that opens up all sorts of characters who may have come into contact with Mollie right?
Because they were also out of town. Hence the need for the dogsitting.

The brother and fiance and boyfriend were ALL out of town. The articles on page 1, post #6 may help clarify some of these details.

Why would Google map car not actually include some roads? It is irritating the rest of 170th Street is not there and the not have the rest of 385th Street is missing from street view.

In a tiny town of 1500 that there is a 100th or 300th and anything street is interesting and a bit odd to me. What does it take to get a street to bear a name and not a number. It looks like Mollie may not have been running town streets but old country roads! How I wish they would release a graphic with the routes she may have used.

I can't answer that. I think Gray Hughes said as he was showing these images that there were years in-between. Maybe they're only done, say, every 5 years. Still, I haven't seen any other maps marked up like this showing where everyone lives in relation to one another. Personally speaking, I thought they were fantastic.

All the people associated with this case are on the map, so why do you need to see missing bits of roads?

Last edited:
I mentioned on a different forum today that I do believe it has to do with human trafficking. There was a photo posted online about a guy in a white car in that area taking photos of women jogging. My thoughts were that guy would take the photos, pass them on, another person would prey on the person silently until the perfect time arouse to kidnap. My thoughts are her abductor waited til the lights were out and made their move. Who knows if she had an open window or door... there is no sign of "forced" entry but it doesn't necessarily mean there was "no" entry at all.

Here's the thing. If i were part of a "human trafficking" ring...i would not waste my time driving through small town with 1,000 people when i could go to big cities and have run aways come to me. There are so many young people on the streets in large urban areas that literally nobody cares about. So, that would make me think the idea of human trafficking in a rural country town a non issue. I will tell you what we do have in a lot of rural, small towns...meth heads. I live in a rural farm community. We have two types of people in rural areas. Nice, friendly farm country people and then there are the anti-social weirdos that come to rural America because they are "hiding" from soceity for 1 reason or another.

Last edited:
Brats are like hot dogs, I don't know if I've ever had them in winter cause they're best grilled. Anyway, if you'd eat a hot dog or burger after a run, you'd eat a brat.

A linked article talked about LE using kayaks to search for Mollie.

Brats are nasty tasting to me. Maybe she is a vegetarian like so many people her age

They lived there (boyfriend, boyfriend's brother and fiancee') but none of them were there at the time she disappeared. Dalton was in Dubuque and the brother and his fiancee' were in Ames.

I'm sorry, I haven't seen the new foundation being laid and don't know what it may have been for.

Yes, it does open up possibilities for who could have come into contact with Mollie.

I think people are over analyzing her social media, pictures, etc. From what I gathered, I see nothing out of the ordinary.

Pictures with her in her underwear, showing cleavage, etc. is in the norm with the youth today. I would say her pictures are rather modest compared to most I've seen. As long as she's not revealing her private areas, there's nothing wrong.

I am 26 and girls/guys have been doing this since I was in high school. Guys take pics with just their boxers on; sometimes they take a pic with their butt mooning the camera. Nobody bats an eye but girls in bra/underwear or bikini is just too much.

If theres one thing to know about social media, take it all with a grain of salt. I cannot tell you how many times I've come across people who are nothing like they are in social media. Everything gets blown out of proportion. A quote here a quote there doesn't define a person.

I agree. I haven't seen the pictures, but from what has been described, they sound tame. She is old enough, that she could be posting nude photos. Many girls that age do.

‘It doesn’t matter what we’re going through’: Missing student’s father wants help, not sympathy

"Citing information from family members, CBS affiliate KCCI reported that Tibbetts, who was dog-sitting at her boyfriend’s home, might have come back to the house after her jog on the evening of July 18 and may have been doing homework on her computer late that night. Rahn said he’s aware of the KCCI report, but he declined to comment further.

Several media outlets have reported that Jack and Tibbetts’s family members aren’t considered suspects. Rahn said he cannot comment on who is and isn’t a suspect."

Forgive me if this has already been shared, I can't keep up!! And I'm not in any way trying to cast suspicion on any person.
I simply found this interesting, that after all the many many news reports stating that certain people were cleared as suspects, here Rahn the DCI agent in charge seems to be undoing that.

Also interesting that he is neither confirming nor denying the coming home and doing homework theory.

I was just logging in to post if someone could please give me a list of people who were FOR SURE cleared.

What about a bikini? It’s the same thing! I think she was proud of how her body was looking after all the running she does and was showing the results rather than trying to be anything else. She’s smiling like she’s pleased not posing in a seductive way. MOO

NOT THE SAME THING to many and especially not the same message being conveyed. THINK about it. A bathing suit is what you wear to swim or sun. Your UNDERGARMENTS are supposed to be under your normal clothes, vieweable only to select few - they are advertises as INTIMATE wear for a reason. And sickos may think they have been advanced to be included in a particular way by a person who takes such a selfie.

It is not a question of how much skin you are exposing it is the message contained in the type of clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18