IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any insight as to when we will know more about what may have happened that night? Is any info released by the ME, or the DA, or do we know by the specific charges? Do we hear nothing until trial?

We might hear something about the autopsy. After that I doubt we'll hear a word until the trial. The attorneys keep all that under wraps, especially between the prosecution and the defense. They don't want to show their hands. So it will be quite awhile before we hear any more.

I was checking all the news today and could hardly find anything that wasn't tainted with a political slant. Sigh, it makes me so sad for Mollie and her family.

I don’t believe his blackout/memory block story in order to minimize his assaulting of her. If he lifted the trunk hood and noticed some blood on the side of her head why would he just assume she was dead? he didn’t say anything about trying to revive her give her CPR or call 911 why would he just assume she was dead because he blacked out? and how does an earpiece remind him she was in trunk? His blockout memory story is ludicrous. He had over 30 days to come up with this. If not for the Video footage he would gotten away with it. I hope the man who turned it in gets the reward money.

Potential Jurors can be familiar with a case. What is important is are they willing to put aside what they have heard/read. Base their verdict on what has been presented in Court.
Being completely honest, I'm truly not sure I could do that. I live in a border state and I suppose I have a lot of baggage that comes with that. And if I'm being honest I'm also Hispanic.

A Grandmum, Dad, and Mum all have to put their child Mollie to rest, and that stinks. CR is yet another this week (along with CW) that doesn't deserve a family. Too many families suffering this week....

One translator is from the court - IA taxpayers are paying for her. The other one who was between attorney and CR could have been an attorney in one of his offices, a paralegal who speaks Spanish, or an interpreter he hired to assist him.

Anyone know - she was not identified by the Magistrate Judge.
One was introduced as a court interpreter. The attorney's name and her name were shown on HLN, I believe.

Charliegizmo49 - I don't know... I went my state's leading AG University- back when the name included "polytech' and it prided itself in its in state research and publications. There were extension services all over the state and test farms associated with the school all over the state. Maybe times have changed? I just really expected IA, with its widely recognized status at the leader in CORN production in the USA (note: not sweet corn - when it comes to sweet - be it corn, peaches or tea, in my opinion, GA takes the lead) to be a leading researcher and publisher for best farm practices.

And attorneys who "just represent the less fortunate or underdog" --- first this is not such a case.
An example of that would be a single mother with children who have been harmed by lead paint or lead in their water fighting a government agency or employer or landlord. Now she is an underdog.

Anyone who takes a client who is charged with a heinous crime like here is an entirely different set of circumstances and the client is no underdog!

And the way this attorney made sure to file his first brief announcing this case is a 'high profile' case is someone whom I view as suspect - he is either in it for the money, the exposure, some sort of quid pro quo, or stroking his own ego. ALL OF COURSE in my opinion.

I should have included the definition “ land grant college”. The very old universities is what I was thinking of.

Never mind. I already moved in to all of us being descendants of immigrants. Mine were very poor and in 3 generations allthrough hard work that changed. I’m tired and going to call it a day

I’m exhausted from just trying to understand what makes a monster like this tick. And I strongly believe he’s done something similar before.

Last edited:
How do we know he’ll choose to go to trial? He’s admitted he’s guilty, enough to get convicted imo. He stated she died during the course of an abduction - he approached her while running and put her in his trunk, then led LE to the location - doesn’t that constitute an automatic 1 st degree charge. I don’t see how he could later declare he’s innocent.

As abhorrent as it may seem, perps who admit their guilt and lead LE to the bodies of missing persons often benefit by plea deals and reduced sentencing.
I cannot see a plea deal in this case.

I don’t believe his blackout/memory block story in order to minimize his assaulting of her. If he lifted the trunk hood and noticed some blood on the side of her head why would he just assume she was dead? he didn’t say anything about trying to revive her give her CPR or call 911 why would he just assume she was dead because he blacked out? and how does an earpiece remind him she was in trunk? His blockout memory story is ludicrous. He had over 30 days to come up with this. If not for the Video footage he would gotten away with it. I hope the man who turned it in gets the reward money.

'Blackout'. Have heard that over and over. Could be a rush of adrenaline. Could be something else. But 'suspects' often say that. However their body sure does some heinous things.

Don't know if it has been studied, but it always sounds suspicious.

In the end no one can get into the mind of a person; we can only put together evidence. And it this case I suspect the evidence speaks loudly.

i havent had time to read through every single one of these threads yet, but i have been keeping up with this case, and what really angers me is that this man not only ruined the Tibbetts' family lives, but he also ruined his very own daughters life...

His own daughter is better off without this violent sick-o in her life.

That's what I think. OR, he's a violent SO, who gets turned on by the hunt and struggle his victims endure. So scary! I may have to tap out soon cuz it's getting late over here and I'm a scardy cat once the sun goes down!

I am in no way throwing a blanket over all Mexican men and growing up in the horse industry I saw so many hard working, kind, family orientated immigrants (I have no idea of their legal status). But there is often a dominance over women in that culture that I have first hand experience of resulting in anger when rejected. I think he "fancied" Mollie from knowing her superficially through the girlfriend or from afar and when he spotted her that night he was hoping to seduce her. When she rejected him and threatened him he went nuts in a mix of rage from the insubordination and the desire to have sexual relations no matter what. And the no matter what part is what made him "have" to hurt her into submission. He either injured her so badly she died as a result or he realized what a hole he had dug and murdered her.

Absolutely. I find myself saying all the time, "I don't speak legalese." Lol

I think we may be confusing "translator" and "interpreter." @Alethea, would you mind clarifying this for us?

The translator(s) will translate exactly what is being said from one language to another. They don't do interpretation. There's one appointed by the Court for everyone to use: that person will translate what's being said for the defendant, and then also translate what the defendant says into English for the Court record.

The private translator hired by the defense will be covered by the attorney-client privilege, and the attorney can explain something in English to the translator who will translate into Spanish for the defendant. It's still the attorney's job to explain and advise the client, but the translator helps overcome the language barrier. Ideally you'd have a bilingual lawyer who could more naturally explain legal concepts to the client in their primary language. You also could have a bilingual paralegal who could serve as a translator and help explain concepts as well.

Communicating in basic English and being expected to comprehend legal speak are not the same. Most people born elsewhere could probably benefit from from a translator in a court case jmo. Sometimes I could use one.

Keep in mind that in any criminal case, the state has to prove that the defendant committed the crime charged beyond a reasonable doubt. A good defense attorney will work hard to make sure the defendant gets a fair trial. I consider a fair trial to mean the jury decides whether or not the defendant committed the crimes charged based on the evidence introduced at trial.

When there is extensive media coverage, potential jurors are hearing things that may not be admissible at trial. There are extensive rules about what evidence can be admitted, and what LE can and cannot do to search and seize evidence. Those rules are there after two hundred years of crime and legislation. The rules are there to make sure we don't have show trials where innocent people are falsely accused, or are railroaded based on their race, religion, or ethnicity. Many lawyers become defense lawyers because they are concerned about state overreach - it's not about the particular defendant, but about striving for a criminal justice system that is not discriminatory and protects the rights that all of us enjoy.

So in many high profile cases, there are always motions to try to keep the media out. This isn't to "hide" the proceedings, but rather to ensure jurors will decide the case based on the evidence that is presented at trial - not what the media reports for three years. It's more about the integrity of the process then about the specific defendant. FWIW I tend to lean towards more openness - I support cameras in the court room and broader public records laws. But I can understand why a lawyer might feel the need to argue that it is prejudicial to his client's case at trial.

Thanks for the wonderful post. One question - do you see the point of pressing to keep the media out when the client has confessed to LE and led LE to the body of the victim? That is where I think this lawyer made zero sense. Add in his own use of the media product in his briefs to try and prove his client was legal makes him out to me to be hypocritical.

Then again - maybe it is on par with asking at the end of a trial for the Judge to dismiss charges because the prosecution hasn't met its burden - whether it has or not, going to enter that request into the record!

If anyone's local, do you think locals would have heard gunshots? Would it have been unusual, or do people shoot in any of the fields? I live in a rural area and people are always target shooting where I don't think I would pay particular attention to a gun shot anymore.
Nobody saw the encounter so I think it was remote enough nobody may have heard. I think what he was trying to do is hit on Mollie and he reacted to her threat to call LE.

Anybody have any insight as to when we will know more about what may have happened that night? Is any info released by the ME, or the DA, or do we know by the specific charges? Do we hear nothing until trial?
We likely will get results in a few days from the prelim autopsy. Then there is prelim hearing end of the month.

He looked like a goon. Obviously there pro bono for the publicity. He even put an endearing hand on CR as he walked in the courtroom. I almost threw up.

I know. And all lawyers know that they are often judged on their appearance. Most want to be paragons of fashion (I exaggerate). But you know what I mean. Professors can get by looking goofy as absent minded. But you want your attorney to look like he/she stepped out of GQ. At least I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required