IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me its all been way to neatly wrapped up in a matter of hours.

Some of what doesn't make sense to me is he refused an appointed attorney, didn't speak any English in the arraignment, not even yes and no. So I don't see him jogging beside her having a conversation as there would have been a language barrier.

Maybe this guy found the body on a farm he worked on and reported it?

Does this guy even know what the police report says?

If I see DNA in his trunk etc, that's enough for me. They said in the police report she was bleeding in his trunk so should be plenty there.
Based on his reported texts, he has a command of English. He also has two interpreters and a lawyer. He was given an option of keeping this attorney or being appointed one and he said that he wanted to keep this attorney.

I think he's lying about the alleged exchange with Mollie because he doesn't want to admit that he grabbed her and took her off to assault her.

Some of what doesn't make sense to me is he refused an appointed attorney, didn't speak any English in the arraignment, not even yes and no. So I don't see him jogging beside her having a conversation as there would have been a language barrier.

If I see DNA in his trunk etc, that's enough for me. They said in the police report she was bleeding in his trunk so should be plenty there.

His lawyer said he had a 8th grade education; so I think is English is not too shabby; but using a translator at this stage isn't too shabby for the defense case.

Do you have a link that he refused a court-appointed attorney?

I've read many things about that attorney on the thread - none of which I've been able to verify online. I'd appreciate the link to what people are reading! tia

Previous thread mentioned that LE had previously searched the exact cornfield she was found in. Was that post made in error, or is there a link where this is confirmed?
I suspect that the post was made in error. I'm perfectly willing to be proved wrong. Let's see the link!

At the 1:58 mark:

Reporter: "Investigators have been searching for weeks. Why was she not found before?"

Rick Rahn: "There were cornstalks placed over the top of her, so we just weren't able to locate her."

Last edited:
Carried over...

Probably true. I guess I just keep hearing 'everyone knew everyone' in this small town so I don't understand how there never any red flags. Something. Anything.
Maybe it should say "everyone knew everyone" in their own "social circles". Anyone "outside" that "social" circle was "known of". ie: the owner of a large business; wouldn't necessarily hang out with or socialize with a "labor" worker. I don't mean this disrespectfully - I live in the middle of 100+ acres of prune orchards. I "know of" the workers who work in the orchard - recognize them by sight, we wave at each other in passing - but we don't know each other outside of them working in the orchard. JMO

Nicely put and I agree!

Out for now but here with ya'll always in my mind and thoughts.
JusticeForMollie! So sorry Mollie. :(
mollie-tibbetts-4.jpg

Chi

It’s sad that a girl from a little town in Brooklyn Iowa can't even run in her own neighborhood without something terrible happening to her. I only hope now that justice will prevail. I didn't know Mollie but she will always have a little piece of my heart Signing off. Claire Parker

Maybe it should say "everyone knew everyone" in their own "social circles". Anyone "outside" that "social" circle was "known of". ie: the owner of a large business; wouldn't necessarily hang out with or socialize with a "labor" worker. I don't mean this disrespectfully - I live in the middle of 100+ acres of prune orchards. I "know of" the workers who work in the orchard - recognize them by sight, we wave at each other in passing - but we don't know each other outside of them working in the orchard. JMO
That makes sense. I'm taking it too literally. I guess I'm looking for a way to explain how he never arose suspicion. Perhaps he did and we will find out in proceedings.

Last edited:

From what I've heard, he has Facebook conversations in English. He's lived here between 4 to 7 years. Chances are, he's competent in conversational English. But, since he's in a serious situation, I'd bet that his lawyers have told him to stay with the language he knows best, Spanish, and work through a translator.

I don't understand what you mean by: "refused an appointed attorney." He has an attorney--if it's a private attorney donating his time, that might be considered better than a public defender?

I agree that DNA tests of the car and trunk should tell us a lot, although we may not hear it till the trial.

Though being small might have played into the perp's psyche and been a factor in who he selected as a victim, I am going to ask that we move on from that topic.

We all know that making sweeping generalizations is not wise as there are many the concept may not apply to. The topic may offend.

OK, we're not supposed to criticize LE. So, what might be the reason that they waited a month before telling the general public what behaviors the perp might have? (Including unusual reactions when people are discussing the possible crime.)
If this girl was so "panicked", by his response, why did she not send in a tip, and why did she not suspect him?

That is exactly right.

His lawyer said he had a 8th grade education; so I think is English is not too shabby; but using a translator at this stage isn't too shabby for the defense case.
IIRC, his lawyer said CR came to this country with a 7th grade education, which implies he was educated in Mexico in Spanish. Of course, we've seen that he does understand conversational English, which would be expected after being here a few years.

He will need a translator in court to make sure he understands what is happening to him in the legal system. Otherwise the risk is an unfair trial, which would be a justifiable cause for appeal and possible overturn of any conviction.

I'm counting on translators at every single step of the process to make sure everything is doing correctly.

jmo

Reporter: "Investigators have been searching for weeks. Why was she not found before?"

Rick Rahn: "There were cornstalks placed over the top of her, so we just weren't able to locate her."

However the body was placed; even at 5' 3'', you would stumble across it; I can't see how it was missed; they should have used search dogs; (The fact that we now know that it was 20 metres into the field; the body would of been found quickly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay