IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what is strange. He needed an interpreter, but now we have, at least, 2 articles I've seen this morning where locals talk about texting with him, and carrying on long conversations. Sounds like he hung out often with the locals and seemed to have a good grasp of the English language. Not too sure how all of the sudden he needs an interpreter.
Understanding a text message and understanding the consequences of being charged with murder and the court proceedings are two totally different things. Most everyone in the country texts while most everyone in the country, even if their first language is English, do not understand the justice system and how it works unless they have visited court before.

That's what is strange. He needed an interpreter, but now we have, at least, 2 articles I've seen this morning where locals talk about texting with him, and carrying on long conversations. Sounds like he hung out often with the locals and seemed to have a good grasp of the English language. Not too sure how all of the sudden he needs an interpreter.
I do not think it was established he required an interpreter. The Court offered or mandated the interpreter as it is required to do by law since English not his primary language. Avoids an appeal issue later using the the theory "lost in translation.".

To ensure he understands court proceedings, which is much more complex than everyday language he is used to, and also to ensure Justice is served

OK, we're not supposed to criticize LE. So, what might be the reason that they waited a month before telling the general public what behaviors the perp might have? (Including unusual reactions when people are discussing the possible crime.)
My guess is that they first had to rule the people close to Mollie out, her neighbors, friends, family, boyfriend, coworkers, classmates, clients, etc. They had to start inwards and work themselves outwards. It took time to do this. Once everyone within her possible circle had been thoroughly investigated, they knew they had to branch out beyond her known associates. They likely had also realized by this time that was more than likely the work of a violent, sexual predator, as the timeline became more clear that she did not make it home, as indicated by the type of profile released, which is practically identical to he perp profiles released in Abby’s and Libby’s, Jessica Ridgeway’s and Lizzie and Lyric’s cases, who were also victims of violent deaths.

Last edited:
Maybe it should say "everyone knew everyone" in their own "social circles". Anyone "outside" that "social" circle was "known of". ie: the owner of a large business; wouldn't necessarily hang out with or socialize with a "labor" worker. I don't mean this disrespectfully - I live in the middle of 100+ acres of prune orchards. I "know of" the workers who work in the orchard - recognize them by sight, we wave at each other in passing - but we don't know each other outside of them working in the orchard. JMO

IMO, it's the same as when locals said they searched every inch of the cornfields on the Finding Mollie FB page. I knew there was no way this was reality, but how could I tell them this? I just knew she was going to be found in a cornfield:(

Only thing that comes to mind is they are communicating on platforms that translates, he's reading and replying in Spanish, she is reading replying in English?

JMO
Thats a good point that translations could have been happening online sites they used.

I would also not be surprised at all if his lawyer is making him appear to not understand english as much as he really does.

I watch the "Cops" TV shows and in multiple cases when the cops first start to question a suspect that is from another country they pretend they do not understand one single word of english. In one episode the officer happened to know their language and that is when he gave up the lying and started to converse fluently in english.

Reporter: "Investigators have been searching for weeks. Why was she not found before?"

Rick Rahn: "There were cornstalks placed over the top of her, so we just weren't able to locate her."

Thank you for that! Very helpful to understanding the discussion. Thanks.

I can see how people are interpreting that as they searched the same exact location where she was. I can also see this meaning that they searched the area in general but it would've been impossible to find her because she was covered. I don't think they walked past her, in other words....though I suppose it is possible.

jmo

Everyone deserves to be treated fair, even under these circumstances. We all know our justice system has failed many, many times. I want the right person held accountable in all cases. I don't want the killer out walking free with the ability to do the same unspeakable acts. I want justice for Mollie!

ETA: I’m not saying they have the wrong person. I’m saying let’s make sure they have the right person.

To me its all been way to neatly wrapped up in a matter of hours.

Some of what doesn't make sense to me is he refused an appointed attorney, didn't speak any English in the arraignment, not even yes and no. So I don't see him jogging beside her having a conversation as there would have been a language barrier.

Maybe this guy found the body on a farm he worked on and reported it?

Does this guy even know what the police report says?

If I see DNA in his trunk etc, that's enough for me. They said in the police report she was bleeding in his trunk so should be plenty there.

He was asked if he wanted to retain his private attorney or have a court appointed attorney, he said he wanted his private attorney

He speaks English and writes in English, the translators are there for a fair trial and to negate him saying he didn’t understand, it’s a good thing.

He didn’t report it, LE tracked him down by the car he was driving

Attorney Challenges Whether Iowa Suspect Is in US Illegally

Thank you for that! Very helpful to understanding the discussion. Thanks.

I can see how people are interpreting that as they searched the same exact location where she was. I can also see this meaning that they searched the area in general but it would've been impossible to find her because she was covered. I don't think they walked past her, in other words....though I suppose it is possible.

jmo

I'm in the same boat. I can see how that can be construed in 2 different directions. I'm guessing he can't be as specific as we need him to be in order to settle if they were in that precise location before. We know they were in cornfields in that area, but nothing more than that.

To me its all been way to neatly wrapped up in a matter of hours.

Some of what doesn't make sense to me is he refused an appointed attorney, didn't speak any English in the arraignment, not even yes and no. So I don't see him jogging beside her having a conversation as there would have been a language barrier.

Maybe this guy found the body on a farm he worked on and reported it?

Does this guy even know what the police report says?

If I see DNA in his trunk etc, that's enough for me. They said in the police report she was bleeding in his trunk so should be plenty there.
It is very common among certain folks to hide behind a language barrier when it suits them. Most of these folks will even admit it.

So many of us missed the information that the cornfield where she was found was previously searched. Seems like big info - there must be a link. Anyone have one?

I'm getting the impression now that there are different ideas of what 'search' meant. Just upthread, someone posted the relevant quote from the press conference. But when I heard it, I didn't interpret it as meaning that there had been a 'real search' of that corn field--more that she had been hidden by the corn stalks from a drone or airplane checking out the terrain.

My definition of 'real search' is--people walking down the rows of corn--one person per row--where I assume a body covered with corn stalks would be noticed.

she is 18 years old and seems to be a very, nice and innocent young woman who would not automatically assume his reaction was suspicious.
I don’t read too much into texts myself. My husband responds with “yeah, no, ok” to pretty much anything while I will type out a book. My daughter who is 20 is just like him. I ask “when are u coming home?” Response “idk”. “Are u coming home?” Response “ya”. Then nothing for hours. May be his normal text conversation as crazy as that is for me!

To insure his right to "Due Process", and to keep CR from using "No hablas - I didn't understand" as a grounds for his appeal after conviction!

IIRC, his lawyer said CR came to this country with a 7th grade education, which implies he was educated in Mexico in Spanish. Of course, we've seen that he does understand conversational English, which would be expected after being here a few years.

He will need a translator in court to make sure he understands what is happening to him in the legal system. Otherwise the risk is an unfair trial, which would be a justifiable cause for appeal and possible overturn of any conviction.

I'm counting on translators at every single step of the process to make sure everything is doing correctly.

jmo
And keep in mind he was probably never schooled in English, so learned only by hearing others speak. He would not understand the subtleties of the language and certainly not grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay