IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't do large, volunteer grid searches like they do for some missing people. The search wrapped up fairly quickly. I think at least..compared to other cases. moo
I gotcha. I think they did some grid searches, but they were only in the direct area near the pig farm and the last known places on her run that day. My guess is, it would have been impossible to search such an expansive area with the difficulty presented in searching corn fields.

I agree, I don’t think he expected to get caught either. Possibly he had no idea there was such a thing as security cameras because he had several weeks to concoct a story about why he was driving around town. And maybe he did initially have a story? - he went from point A to B and directly home again. LE says no you were at C, he adds a little more to the story......but then what about D....or E grilling him until he breaks, leading to his confession.

Which brings me to another thought....Mollie’s dad. Did the family truly believe (or at least hope) she was being held alive or was that somewhat of a heartbreaking yet intentional ruse to trick the perp into thinking LE was totally clueless? I think of us here and all these past threads, 1000s of comments relating to the ambiguity of released information - was she taken while jogging or not, what was her route, what of dinner at her mothers, when was the Snapchat sent, what’s with was she home at 9:45 using her computer, questions, questions, so much confusion.... looking back, I now think that total lack of clarity in information being released was very intentional.

Paragraph 1: This is what happens when you think with your little head, and not the other. A common occurrence in men.

Paragraph 2: Yes, I believe that they really wanted to believe that MT would come back to them alive. It gave them the strength to get through this ordeal. Also, this is the first 2 stages of the grieving process, denial and bargaining. Misdirection may have been intentional on the part of LE, but not the family and certainly not RT.

Perhaps that's an issue you take up with the Admin. Personally, until court systems become infallible in detecting and prosecuting the guilty and freeing innocent, I'll stick with arrests conducted on investigations, evidence and confessions.

Ha. Well, if they took down every post that included assumptions that weren't facts we'd be on about thread 2 instead of thread 40 right now!

I have no problem with the investigative part of WS. In fact, I really like it. The declaring people guilty before a trial has occurred and calling them monsters...I don't like that part. Our justice system is not perfect, but I think it's the best in the world. I believe that every person is innocent until proven guilty -- and that is a really important part of our system. More important than some here seem to think.

Is CR guilty of this crime? Probably. But when we throw in these things about "oh, he's definitely done this before" or "I bet he has a criminal history under a different name." That's hogwash. It's an assumption that is totally unfounded and unfair to him. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- if he doesn't get a fair trial, including the guaranteed right of a presumption of innocence, then we aren't really getting justice for Mollie.

This is about her, and her tragic situation. Not about anything else.

Ohhhhhh I thought I just read that they arrested him at 3pm at the trailer,,,will try to find it.

I'm glad you are looking into when he was apprehended. It's confusing for sure. The formal arrest is August 21. I doubt LE showed up, he led them to the body, they arrested him, ME pronounces her deceased, DA filed formal charges - all within a few hours. ??

Thanks TL4S. August 21 as formally arrested. Prob with the DA filing the charges, with utmost care. However one can be detained up to 96 hours if thought you are suspected of a serious crime, eg murder. Just makes me wonder if he was detained on Friday, finally leading LE to the body on Monday.
I believe LE said in the PC (Pressie, Politically Correct Press Conference, whatever) on the day they found her body, that they had located the Malibu and spoken with CR only the day before, which would have been 8/20.

The cameras captured images of Tibbetts running, as well as a black Chevy Malibu that investigators said they traced to Rivera, informing a determination that Rivera was one of the last people to see her running, Rahn said. They conducted a lengthy interview with Rivera on Monday after approaching him for the first time, in which he told them about seeing her running and how he pursued her.

“He was very compliant,” Rahn said. “He was willing to talk to us. There was no fight or struggle of any kind.”

But the account Rivera gave investigators has some significant gaps in it, according to an affidavit filed in district court. Rivera told them that he panicked after Tibbetts said she was going to call the police and “blocked” his “memory,” the affidavit said. His memory picks up again at an intersection where he noticed a headphone earpiece in his lap and realized he had put Tibbetts in his trunk, where he found her with blood on her head, it said. He then dragged her into a secluded place in a cornfield, where he left her face up and covered her with corn stalks.

Man charged with killing Mollie Tibbetts is an undocumented immigrant, authorities say

Mollie wasn't seen on the cameras. Just the car.

Yes he does seem to remember a lot of detail. Cept the really horrible part.

He must be a defence lawyers worst nightmare if he waived the right to speak to an attorney.

But now I wonder, in Iowa is it a legal right to seek legal advice prior to being questioned by LE?

I posted the pulled over comment, saying it was a link in a previous thread. I wished I would have saved it. I'll see if I can locate it by going backwards. Can't promise anything tho.
:0)

Thanks!

Just asking that people wait until it is decided in court. Similar things were said about WC and, as far as we know, he has no involvement in this.

I've kind of realized that the WS community is good at the finding out what happened part, and not so good at the fairness to the alleged perpetrator part. Which is common, but I'm not a fan of declaring someone guilty before they have gone through the process.

WC is a monster too..pled guilty and confirmed in my mind. This thread is not about him anymore but a violent offender towards women is equally as bad.

He declared himself guilty when he led them to the body.

No. She was indeed captured on video jogging with the Malibu following. Does anyone have the link to the PC readily available?

Edit: After reviewing the PC, and maybe there is update info since then, all that is clear is that both the Malibu's routes and Mollie jogging were capture on video (it's not specified the car was seen following MT).

Last edited:
Hopefully someone with more law experience can clarify this but how are you innocent until proven guilty when you’ve confessed to a crime? He confessed to killing her, that makes him a killer.
I think he only admitted to stalking her and hiding the body at this point but I might be wrong so MOO.

Yes that was my understanding as well. By estimating the locations and times that Mollie was running, that and the roads and directions the Malibu was headed was pieced together to form the connection by LE.

I gotcha. I think they did some grid searches, but they were only in the direct area near the pig farm and the last known places on her run that day. My guess is, it would have been impossible to search such an expansive area with the difficulty presented in searching corn fields.

Oh, I agree. When comparing it to other searches though, they didn't continue over a set amount of days. I know here when they searched for Hannah, they covered a lot of area as well.

I wasn't. And I'm not claiming to know exactly what he said. Others are. I'm just going by what LE has told us while I have seen other take it further and make assumptions. Trying to get people to stick to the facts here.

Posts that are opinion should have IMO or MOO to make them clear.

Facts are - he led police to her body after stuffing her in the trunk and dragging her into a cornfield to rot.

My sleuthing skills lead me to believe that is a confession.

Please no offense.... but I disagree with some of what you are saying. What is the principle behind his lies about who is he? I understand he turned over a false ID. He is living under false pretenses. Lies aren't just lies, they are inhibitors of trusting other information he gives. Here is definition. Look at the principle behind it:

(Witness impeachment, in the law of evidence of the United States, is the process of calling into question the credibility of an individual testifying in a trial.)
Good point. Possible his false ID can go toward his truthfulness especially if he signed a sworn document attesting to the false ID. Unfortunately that falsification is grounds for impeachment IF he ever testifies which he will never do IMHO.

No. She was indeed captured on video jogging with the Malibu following. Does anyone have the link to the PC readily available?

No. There was a link to an interview with Rick Rahn posted in one of the previous threads. He said they did not see her in the video.

I'm glad you are looking into when he was apprehended. It's confusing for sure. The formal arrest is August 21. I doubt LE showed up, he led them to the body, they arrested him, ME pronounces her deceased, DA filed formal charges - all within a few hours. ??

I am pretty sure I just read it recently and am still looking,,,,I remember 3pm at the trailer. UGH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody