IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this theory is that the arrest warrant affidavit affirms that the murder was complete by 20:28 on the 18th, perhaps based on the FitBit data. This does not allow much time for CBR to have held MT for any length of time.

JMOO

I agree she was deceased by 20:28. I'm not sure she was in the corn field by that time. It was dark after 21:15.

How do we know he killed her in an uncontrollable rage?
I guess it could have been a controlled rage, too. But he did say her comment made him very angry and upset, and this us what led to the black out. Also the method, sharp forced injuries, implies a violent killing. In other words one can " assume", although we don't know that for sure.

It makes sense to me that she might have had her phone in her hand when he approached her, as she might have been concerned about a car that passed her, a mile back, was now following her an a country road devoid of homes and people.

Would also play into why he had an earbud on his lap, after he disabled Mollie he took her phone and headset from her when he put her in the trunk, he’s certainly not going to leave it with her after she threatened to call 911.

If we believe she was bleeding from her head he may have just knocked her out and was taking her to his designated spot to finish his deed.

Maybe I need more coffee but I don’t remember that LE was able to identify the driver of the vehicle or possible passengers. But only the car passing her several times.
That's what I thought to but if they did recognize him or that he was alone I would like to see the link.

Yes, I thought the same thing about the wording (placed her body)! I feel there is a lot to be extracted from that affidavit. I wonder of a Fitbit would be considered an article of clothing?
I think it's just another way to say " put her body" It just sounds better, imo. I would consider a fit bit as being an accessary. Like a watch.

"Law enforcement located the remains of a deceased female in the area Rivera took them to. The physical surroundings of her location and other factors at the scene matched his earlier physical description of the area as that where he placed her body. Based on the interview with Rivera, the clothing found at the scene where the body was located and the tentative identification by the medical examiner based on information about certain articles of her clothing, the deceased female is Mollie Tibbetts."

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/p...-2018_DCI_ArrestWarrantComplaintAffidavit.pdf

"the area as that where he placed her body" makes it sound like she was already deceased. moo

"based on information about certain articles of her clothing"

That's odd wording. Which certain articles of clothing? It seems to be more than just a match to what she was wearing? It seems specific to a particular item. moo

"Complaint and Affidavit known by me, or told to me by other reliable persons form the basis for my belief"

It is my belief that this affidavit is based solely on the events as described by CBR, whom they had reasonable belief, based on their investigation to date had murdered MT.

LE may have other theories, but this was the first time they had interviewed CBR, they had not executed a search warrant on either his place of residence, the vehicle, or any other areas of investigation that were of interest to LE. CBR still had possession of his cell phone, so they had not even had the time to examine the contents or once again execute a search warrant on it or any other devices.

This affidavit is solely CBR's version of events.

MOO

ETA Save for some brief observations of LE, such as the clothing found.

Maybe I need more coffee but I don’t remember that LE was able to identify the driver of the vehicle or possible passengers. But only the car passing her several times.
That's why I said IMO. I do believe tho they likely were able to identify him thru video. Once they had the video they tracked him down. He was arrested quickly. I mean he could have said so and so borrowed/used the vehicle that night. I think LE was positive it was him in that vehicle.

"Complaint and Affidavit known by me, or told to me by other reliable persons form the basis for my belief"

It is my belief that this affidavit is based solely on the events as described by CBR, whom they had reasonable belief, based on their investigation to date had murdered MT.

LE may have other theories, but this was the first time they had interviewed CBR, they had not executed a search warrant on either his place of residence, the vehicle, or any other areas of investigation that were of interest to LE. CBR still had possession of his cell phone, so they had not even had the time to examine the contents or once again execute a search warrant on it or any other devices.

MOO

Exactly!

They supplied what was needed to get the warrant based on his descriptions of the event

Just an FYI if I state IMO it is just that. If it's a fact I will post a link to support.

It makes sense to me that she might have had her phone in her hand when he approached her, as she might have been concerned about a car that passed her, a mile back, was now following her an a country road devoid of homes and people.
I had not heard it stated that he said he grabbed her phone. I thought he just said she threatened to call police, began running, and he chased her down

I guess it could have been a controlled rage, too. But he did say her comment made him very angry and upset, and this us what led to the black out. Also the method, sharp forced injuries, implies a violent killing. In other words one can " assume", although we don't know that for sure.

That's if we were to believe he is telling the truth which I do not. She might not have even said a word to him because he had a plan. Maybe his plan was to kill her right from the get go. We don't know this guy except he is not who he says he is.
I know we only have what LE has released what he said at that moment, could be all BS.

That's why I said IMO. I do believe tho they likely were able to identify him thru video. Once they had the video they tracked him down. He was arrested quickly. I mean he could have said so and so borrowed/used the vehicle that night. I think LE was positive it was him in that vehicle.
I would think they could tell how many people were in there too, unless they only had glimpse of the lower part of the car. Somehow your IMO got restated as fact along the way.

MOO

JMO
I do think some of what is in the Arrest Warrant is based on what CBR said but I also think some of it is based on the Fitbit data.

Because of the very specific down to the minute ending time of 8:28pm. I dont think CBR would have known that exact time or told LE that right at that minute is when he left. Also the "known by me" part implies the information can also include things LE found out on their own.

"known by me, or told to me
"

Exactly!

They supplied what was needed to get the warrant based on his descriptions of the event

Yes that is what I believe, which would include the time frame, where she was abducted, etc.
Initially, reports were that MT was jogging at 5:30, or close to that time.
Initially, it was stated that MT sent a snapchat at 10:00, which was revised to being opened at 10:00 pm.

All initial reports of what were considered to be facts, were purposely not confirmed and there is a reason for that.

I don't believe that the entire incident happened between 7:30 - 8:28.

I often go back to the Mickey Shunick case, where BL kept her in his vehicle for IIRC close to a day if not longer, prior to even disposing of her body, bike, or anything else.

MOO

If this case goes to trial, conviction of 1st degree murder will be based upon whether or not CR was responsible for intentionally inflicting the multiple sharp force injuries that caused Mollie’s death. His version of events is highly incriminatory, further damaging considering his self-disclosed anger issues.

So I’m not so sure the prosecution would be anxious to discount his confession and create another version of events without very solid proof given the accused already handed them one on a platter.

Depending on how many is “multiple” sharp force injuries, that alone can qualify the criteria of “intent”. If accused were only prosecuted when “remembering”, the jails would essentially be empty.

That's if we were to believe he is telling the truth which I do not. She might not have even said a word to him because he had a plan. Maybe his plan was to kill her right from the get go. We don't know this guy except he is not who he says he is.
I know we only have what LE has released what he said at that moment, could be all BS.
True, he could be lying. But with this type of crime it is my belief that it usually involves violence, which is indicative of anger. I suppose he could have been as cool as a cucumber and meticulously took his time. But I don't even want to think of that scenario. To me it indicates torture and is far worse. Every killer has their own method, based on what motivates them. I certainly hope this was not a long, drawn out killing.

I wondered myself Sharon why he didn't flee. I'm sure he felt very comfortable he was not on their radar based on the pressers. Which he wasn't at that point. It was a good thing LE remained tight lipped as he might of if he felt LE and Family's focus shifted. He may not have had the means to flee if he was sending money home had child support payments etc.

It is rather unusual for a predator to start his criminal career with a daylight abduction of a stranger on a public street resulting in assault, multiple stabbings causing death, and hiding the body 15 miles from the abduction site. That seems like something that an experienced predator would do. A first timer typically hasn't thought through the "what next" step after committing an abduction, but Rivera had a plan that included carefully hiding the body.

Isn't it possible that he has a longer criminal history, and that he didn't flee because he avoided detection for whatever he did leading up to this brazen attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member