Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can just imagine the Ninjas plotting the murder.

Ninja1: Sounds good, but the only thing is, we don't have a vehicle.

Ninja 2: We'll just kidnap someone and make him be the driver.

Ninja 1: Sounds like a plan!
We can call each other by our real names, and then we will leave him behind, with his car and his car keys and his cell phone, was we walk down the dusty road in our Black long sleeved sweaters and stocking caps, in July...

I just don’t understand putting your client up there and having him say directly to the jury that he is a liar.

Even for innocent people, for witnesses in civil cases, you spend a lot of time thinking about the credibility of your witness. If your guy comes off like a jerk, you may try to get another witness. If your defendant is unruly and unlikable, you strongly remind him of his absolute right to not provide testimony and to focus on the state’s case.

So it’s just bizarre to me that they couldn’t convince him to do a softer SODDI defense. CR does not strike me as a dominant forceful leader (wasn’t there a lot of character testimony about how he’s soft and quiet?) that would bully his attorneys and ignore their advice.

In my own practice the clients I have to tussle with are the arrogant dominant types that even when they need help and are paying dearly for help, need to be in charge. It is rare that someone will just outright say they are doing the opposite of what I suggest. You hire your attorneys for a reason - you trust their judgment, you like their plan, you get along.

Brilliant posts, as usual, @Alethea -- thank you for sharing your expertise!

I agree that CBR appears timid, weak, and I'm wondering if he crafted this ninja story first to his family-- long before retaining the Frese & Frese legal team to represent him, and stuck with it.

I recall when CBR was first arrested, he was represented by the Patriot tie guy, and maybe somebody else after that -- I forget.

Reportedly, his family is paying for his private defense team and I can see CBR crafting and sticking to this ridiculous story very early -- telling his family that he was a frightened victim that went along out of fear, and to protect their lives and the life of his child. It would be the only way he could continue to face them.

Never mind that he's a predator and a coward... MOO

No question CBR’s story is completely ridiculous. The prosecution is clearly annoyed with the defense and CBR. But IMO: no matter how ridiculous this story, the prosecution should have been more aggressive in their questioning of CBR today, locating and pointing out every single contradiction and place where the evidence contradicts the defendant’s story. Many juries seem to be hip these days to defendant lies, but there have been other cases where a jury either believes equally or more ridiculous stories, or seems to give credit to a defendant because they are under oath.

Quoting myself ^^^ here..

.I have a lot of relatives with farms in Northern Cali. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins all have large farms.

They also have housing for the workers on the edge of the farms. There are lots of people coming and going but there are also preventative measures to protect the equipment from theft.

I have never been to a farm that didn't have roving dogs who made a big scene if strangers tried to sneak on.
Also, most have security cameras to prevent theft by burglars and disgruntled workers. The tools and equipment just sitting around the fields and in the out buildings, are worth many thousands of dollars.

Hearing about this 'ninja home invasion' so late makes it very hard for LE to backtrack and look for witnesses or evidence of this bogus story. But I wonder if they have any interviews from their original canvassing, to what the neighbours said about CBR on that afternoon?
I hope they did question the other workers and it turns out someone saw him leave in the car by himself. The defense is already prepared for that since CBR said the kidnappers were ducking down in the car. I bet there is no way someone in the passenger seat could scrunch down far enough not to be seen.

And if she was wanting to 'escape' the relationship, why would she be at his place dog sitting? And why would she be sending him 'good night' snap chats? She was obviously still in the relationship and so was he.
We learned from JordynL that the sexting happened in March 2018 and she sent copies of the messages to Mollie in April. Mollie vanished in July -- I agree, they were past this and had moved on.

CBR stated that Molly was not bleeding. So how was her blood in the trunk.
At one point he said she wasn't bleeding "any longer." So she was bleeding before? How did he know, since he said he "did not look" for any injuries? If he didn't know if she had any injuries, how could he know she was dead, especially if she moved a little at first?

Bear with me. I'm trying to understand the defense's logic. So the defense has sort of laid out a possible motive for DJ, but who is the second masked man willing to go along with killing MT? They hinted at UF, but I can't recall any specific motive he would have to take part in murder or to threaten CBR with his own cousins' lives. Maybe that's why CBR is not worried about his ex-gf and daughter's life anymore... because his counsel convinced him it was an idle threat. IDK. It doesn't make sense.

And if DJ is racist, why suggest a Mexican man (UF) as his partner in crime? Did UF have it out for CBR for getting his cousin pregnant or something, and DJ was angry with MT, and together they figured out a way to get back at them both? They didn't need to kill CBR because he was going to take the fall.

But here's the thing. DJ lied to police (about cheating) and I didn't see any testimony to prove his alibi beyond a reasonable doubt. Where was his boss? Co-workers? Anyone to support that he was in Dubuque? Again, I didn't have time to watch the trial, so I'm relying on updates.

The story might be stupid, but it covers all its bases. None of the witnesses for the state were able to confirm when or where she died, who was driving the car, what exactly happened during a technology-based "event" on 385th, then cell phone going 55-60mph southward until it stopped.

Nobody, including CBR, ever denied MT was in the trunk of his car, which he was admittedly driving. He's a liar, which he also admits, but defense can say, "well, so is DJ."

I'm not supporting CBR's story. I'm looking at it from the point of "reasonable doubt" and whether or not the state has proven him guilty. I sure as heck hope so...
"...DJ was angry with MT"

We didnt see any evidence that he was angry with Mollie. And certainly nothing that would call for her brutal murder. There was talk of DJ having 'anger issues' ---but no evidence of such---no reports or testimony or pictures of Mollie being hurt by him ever.
And they were not currently fighting. She was dog sitting for him and had just sent him a good night snapchat.

But here's the thing. DJ lied to police (about cheating) and I didn't see any testimony to prove his alibi beyond a reasonable doubt. Where was his boss? Co-workers? Anyone to support that he was in Dubuque? Again, I didn't have time to watch the trial, so I'm relying on updates.

DJ lied about cheating in high school ---years ago. I don't see it as that big of a deal. And he did eventually admit it.

As for his alibi---the investigators checked all of that out before they cleared him. There were several people supporting that he was actually in Dubuque. If there was really a weakness in the alibi, the defense would have had the witnesses subpoena and on the stand. Which tells me the alibi was good.

The story might be stupid, but it covers all its bases. None of the witnesses for the state were able to confirm when or where she died, who was driving the car, what exactly happened during a technology-based "event" on 385th, then cell phone going 55-60mph southward until it stopped.

The story is stupid and that is a big problem for the defense. It is so stupid it is unbelievable.

If it is not believable then it does not raise REASONABLE doubt.

CBR stated that Molly was not bleeding. So how was her blood in the trunk.
I disagree. When the Prosecutor said that CBR dropped Mollie in the cornfield bleeding, he said Mollie was no longer bleeding. His defense went out of their way to get CBR to say that he didn't know how Mollie died but that she was already dead when they got to the field, and the Ninjas vanished. Mollie had no signs of life and he couldn't help her.

Bear with me. I'm trying to understand the defense's logic. So the defense has sort of laid out a possible motive for DJ, but who is the second masked man willing to go along with killing MT? They hinted at UF, but I can't recall any specific motive he would have to take part in murder or to threaten CBR with his own cousins' lives. Maybe that's why CBR is not worried about his ex-gf and daughter's life anymore... because his counsel convinced him it was an idle threat. IDK. It doesn't make sense.

And if DJ is racist, why suggest a Mexican man (UF) as his partner in crime? Did UF have it out for CBR for getting his cousin pregnant or something, and DJ was angry with MT, and together they figured out a way to get back at them both? They didn't need to kill CBR because he was going to take the fall.

Nobody, including CBR, ever denied MT was in the trunk of his car, which he was admittedly driving. He's a liar, which he also admits, but defense can say, "well, so is DJ."

I'm not supporting CBR's story. I'm looking at it from the point of "reasonable doubt" and whether or not the state has proven him guilty. I sure as heck hope so...

Thankfully the jurors did watch the trial!

No question CBR’s story is completely ridiculous. The prosecution is clearly annoyed with the defense and CBR. But IMO: no matter how ridiculous this story, the prosecution should have been more aggressive in their questioning of CBR today, locating and pointing out every single contradiction and place where the evidence contradicts the defendant’s story. Many juries seem to be hip these days to defendant lies, but there have been other cases where a jury either believes equally or more ridiculous stories, or seems to give credit to a defendant because they are under oath.

The prosecution asked the one question that clarifies whether he alone murdered Mollie, or whether his two imaginary friends were with him.

The suspect was asked : "“Are you the only one who could take police to the body?"

By answering "yes," he told the jury that no one else knew where the body was, therefore the story about two men cannot be true.

The suspect was not prepped for that question. The correct answer was that the two men and he all knew where the body was. He gave the wrong answer, and that's the contradiction that the prosecution should focus on during closing arguments.

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Was going to uncle's home in Brooklyn to borrow vacuum to do that. Says uncle wasn't home but he did take the vacuum after calling to tell uncle he was doing so.
10:26 AM · May 26, 2021·Twitter Web App

After exiting the bathroom, says he saw "two people in my living room [...] w/sweaters and their faces covered. Dark clothing."
10:27 AM · May 26, 2021·Twitter Web App

"One of them was bigger and a little fatter and the other was about my stature, burly."
10:27 AM · May 26, 2021·Twitter Web App

................ I'm 12 hours behind in thread.... what? :eek: Jodi's ninjas resurfaced?... back to reading....

Why does ^^ this worry me?
Well, then another reporter said only a 2 jury members were taking notes and another one all sprawled out, like lounging , feet up, biting and looking at her nails.
So--- I think only a few were taking notes, JMO
I dont know as I'm not there, but maybe they all were taking notes at one point, then only 2 were towards the end.

UGH... I wish we knew how this jury is feeling and what they are thinking. I mean, we here, at WS follow cases and can smell BS a mile away, but not everyone follows true crime and I am just praying that they could see through this BS story.

Last edited:
The prosecution asked the one question that clarifies whether he alone murdered Mollie, or whether his two imaginary friends were with him.

The suspect was asked : "“Are you the only one who could take police to the body?"

By answering "yes," he told the jury that no one else knew where the body was, therefore the story about two men cannot be true.

The suspect was not prepped for that question. The correct answer was that the two men and he all knew where the body was. He gave the wrong answer, and that's the contradiction that the prosecution should focus on during closing arguments.

Well, that’s logic-problem correctness, but I don’t think that it means much in the real world. He could just say that since they were the murderers, he knew they wouldn’t lead LE to the body, so he didn’t consider them as part of the possible answer.

I should add that I’m convinced that he did it.

Last edited:
Quoting myself ^^^ here..

.I have a lot of relatives with farms in Northern Cali. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins all have large farms.

They also have housing for the workers on the edge of the farms. There are lots of people coming and going but there are also preventative measures to protect the equipment from theft.

I have never been to a farm that didn't have roving dogs who made a big scene if strangers tried to sneak on.
Also, most have security cameras to prevent theft by burglars and disgruntled workers. The tools and equipment just sitting around the fields and in the out buildings, are worth many thousands of dollars.

Hearing about this 'ninja home invasion' so late makes it very hard for LE to backtrack and look for witnesses or evidence of this bogus story. But I wonder if they have any interviews from their original canvassing, to what the neighbours said about CBR on that afternoon?
BBM- I’ve been wondering about this too. Surely Yarrabee Farms had video surveillance that may have extended to the worker housing. Plus early canvassing, as you say. CB & the non-ninjas may be recorded. Or not recorded since they weren’t really there. Some vid just gets uploaded to a cloud & may still be there. Imo

Last edited:
................ I'm 12 hours behind in thread.... what? :eek: Jodi's ninjas resurfaced?... back to reading....
Yeppers...they moved from AZ to IA .. and wore Long sleeve sweaters and pants and gloves in the hot month of July.
they also waited for him to finish showering.... so he was nice and clean before they took him.
It was just a fluke, ya know...to see MT running.
What if they hadnt seen her running ??
What were they going to do with just HIM ???
Were they going to wait for some other female jogger to come around ??

OMG

Prosecutors need to ask this IMO

Last edited:
We didnt see any evidence that he was angry with Mollie. And certainly nothing that would call for her brutal murder. There was talk of DJ having 'anger issues' ---but no evidence of such---no reports or testimony or pictures of Mollie being hurt by him ever.
And they were not currently fighting. She was dog sitting for him and had just sent him a good night snapchat.

DJ lied about cheating in high school ---years ago. I don't see it as that big of a deal. And he did eventually admit it.

As for his alibi---the investigators checked all of that out before they cleared him. There were several people supporting that he was actually in Dubuque. If there was really a weakness in the alibi, the defense would have had the witnesses subpoena and on the stand. Which tells me the alibi was good.

The story is stupid and that is a big problem for the defense. It is so stupid it is unbelievable.

If it is not believable then it does not raise REASONABLE doubt.
I agree it's stupid and unbelievable. But prior to today, when I considered the defense was leading up to the introduction of a third party (and fourth party, as it ended up), that seemed completely improbable, as well. That's how this defense team rolls because of what they have to work with. Fitting something, anything, inside the gaps in the prosecution's case. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee