GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Common sense would tell anyone that his name was not John Bud. And I thought it was mentioned during his testimony that he used his real name and was paid cash until he got papers under the name John Bud.

It seems to me that John Budd was for employment purposes only. I understood that CBR was initially pulled over by LE because of his suspicious vehicle -- it matched the vehicle in the surveillance video, he provided his birth certificate-- with his legal name, CBR, for identification.

I'm still at a loss how CBR was able to drive-- did he have an Iowa DL and if so, what name was it issued under?

I wonder if he had a valid DL issued to him from another state?

Sixteen states and the District of Columbia have enacted laws to allow unauthorized immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses. These states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Washington—issue a license if an applicant provides certain documentation, such as a foreign birth certificate, foreign passport, or consular card and evidence of current residency in the state.

States Offering Driver’s Licenses to Immigrants

I do feel with his fake masked men scenario, he was able to fill in the alot of the gaps that we were wondering about. I think a lot of that is true because that's exactly what he did
Yes! If he went too far off from the actual truth, he might mix things up and change the story.. he remembers what he did so it's easy to insert a couple men and have one of them be responsible for doing exactly what he did. I would like to know what he did with her phone, fitbit and earbuds.. I don't think he left them on the side of the road.

It seems to me that John Budd was for employment purposes only. I understood that CBR was initially pulled over by LE because of his suspicious vehicle -- it matched the vehicle in the surveillance video, he provided his birth certificate-- with his legal name, CBR, for identification.

I'm still at a loss how CBR was able to drive-- did he have an Iowa DL and if so, what name was it issued under?

Sixteen states and the District of Columbia have enacted laws to allow unauthorized immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses. These states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Washington—issue a license if an applicant provides certain documentation, such as a foreign birth certificate, foreign passport, or consular card and evidence of current residency in the state.

I agree. I was responding to the poster who said it would be hard not to hire someone that had documents. IMO the dairy farmer knew this name was not John Budd.

This just struck me....

CBR's knit ninjas are nothing but a projection of the part of the story he never intended to confess.....

Which makes me wonder.....

Through them, he introduced the knife (that he killed her with)....

Through them, he introduced a gun (maybe that's how he got Mollie in the trunk and what he injured her with)...

Through them, he revealed how he interrupted Mollie's run (by stopping ahead of her projected path ... after 6 passes he'd have a good idea where she'd be on the 7th)....

Through them, he introduced the threat to harm his daughter and her mother....

All CBR did IMO and in effect is give his conscience (if he has one, or memory if he does not) form. He put sweaters on it.

Which gives me reason to think there was a genuine threat out for his daughter and her mom.

HIM.

It was on his mind enough to weave it into his tale....

THAT relationship could be the root of his anger.

All those stab wounds. All that rage.

IMO he was angry before that day ever started.

And I submit to you that THIS DAY he's angrier than ever.

Locked up now for life is the ONLY place for him.

JMO
I thought this same thing a while back ... it's just like If I Did It By OJ. He also had a blackout and a mystery person. The key to it is the ego/entitlement and whatever the reason Iris broke up with him. Only unlike OJ his ex is not conveniently nearby....but Similar looking Mollie was. Mollie told him no and fought him. So all of that rage went to Mollie.

Good sleuthing, @StarryStarryNight ! How is it, I wonder, that they said that the additional DNA in CBR's trunk was..."not identifiable" (sorry -- not remembering the actual phrasing that was used in court)? Could it be that well over 30 days or so had passed (perhaps even 6 months or more), destroying the viability of the other DNA in the trunk?

Would be interesting (but now, alas, impossible, apparently) to find out whose DNA was also in the trunk of that Malibu...

ETA: And I don't mean DNA that may have come from those at garment manufacturing companies, etc., either.

I still think Dalton should be able to sue the defense attorneys for defamation of character. They will continue to drag him through the mud as long as they can. They need to be held accountable for all the damage they have done/are doing to him.

MAY 28, 2021
Bahena Rivera faces life in prison without parole | weareiowa.com
[...]

Bahena Rivera faces a mandatory life sentence with no chance at parole. His sentencing hearing is scheduled for July 15 at the Poweshiek County Courthouse in Montezuma.

[...]

Before the sentencing hearing, a presentence investigation report needs to be completed by the Eighth Judicial District Department of Correctional Services.

That's according to the court order signed by District Court Judge Joel D. Yates.

This report will then be filed with the clerk of court who will make the document available for both the defense and prosecutors to review at least three days before the sentencing hearing.

[...]

According to Iowa Code, any information relevant to sentencing shall be made available by the State, defense and judicial district for the report. The court may consider information from other sources.

[...]

Victim impact statements are part of the presentence investigation, but it's not yet known if the statements will be read aloud in court or not on July 15.

The county attorney will also prepare a statement of pecuniary damages to victims, also known as restitution. This is another part of the presentence investigation.

Iowa Code says restitution for first-degree murder is at least $150,000.

[...]

Case No. 08791 FECR010822

ORDER RE: JURY VERDICT,PRESENTENCE INVESTIGATION,and SETTING SENTENCING

May 28, 2021 Court Order RE: Cristhian Bahena Rivera | Criminal Procedure | Crime & Violence (scribd.com)

I do feel with his fake masked men scenario, he was able to fill in the alot of the gaps that we were wondering about. I think a lot of that is true because that's exactly what he did
Yes! If he went too far off from the actual truth, he might mix things up and change the story.. he remembers what he did so it's easy to insert a couple men and have one of them be responsible for doing exactly what he did. I would like to know what he did with her phone, fitbit and earbuds.. I don't think he left them on the side of the road.
This just struck me....

CBR's knit ninjas are nothing but a projection of the part of the story he never intended to confess.....

Through them, he introduced a gun (maybe that's how he got Mollie in the trunk and what he injured her with)...

Through them, he revealed how he interrupted Mollie's run (by stopping ahead of her projected path ... after 6 passes he'd have a good idea where she'd be on the 7th)....

All CBR did IMO and in effect is give his conscience (if he has one, or memory if he does not) form. He put sweaters on it.

Which gives me reason to think there was a genuine threat out for his daughter and her mom.

HIM.

JMO

This just gave me a thought! If his ex posted on FB something that Mollie commented on offering support, could it be something realted to CBR? If Mollie know of him enough through his ex, them maybe she saw her posts about him being violent or something?? Maybe she mentioned his ex during this incident. Maybe she said something like are you going to hurt me like you did (ex) something triggered him to mention his ex and his daughter. Maybe Mollie threatened calling the police and in his mind THAT was a threat to his ex and daughter.. I think you are on to something with his anger and something she either say or reminded him of. Police would mean they could find out he is here illegally which would hurt his ex and daughter. So many things could have been in his mind and unfortunately it seems that anger was taken out on the most innocent of us.

From this old article, it sounds like he had an out of state id. Kind of sounds like it was an out of state DL with the name John Budd.

Iowa DOT never issued a DL to him, even under another name.

Mollie Tibbetts: Iowa DOT says murder suspect did not have Iowa driver's license

Last edited:
This just struck me....

HIM.

JMO
Good one!!

Good sleuthing, @StarryStarryNight ! How is it, I wonder, that they said that the additional DNA in CBR's trunk was..."not identifiable" (sorry -- not remembering the actual phrasing that was used in court)? Could it be that well over 30 days or so had passed (perhaps even 6 months or more), destroying the viability of the other DNA in the trunk?

Would be interesting (but now, alas, impossible, apparently) to find out whose DNA was also in the trunk of that Malibu...

ETA: And I don't mean DNA that may have come from those at garment manufacturing companies, etc., either.
I thought they meant it was unknown DNA, meaning they didn't know who it belonged to. The defense pointed out that they didn't collect samples from potential suspects to see if there was a match.

I think in any vehicle there is likely to be a mix of DNA from other people so the DNA could have come from anybody. Imo

MAY 28, 2021
ATTORNEY REACTION: Bahena Rivera found guilty in Tibbetts' death (kttc.com)
[...]

"This is the verdict we wanted," Poweshiek County Attorney Bart Klaver said following the verdict. "It was the verdict the evidence demanded. Great for all parties. Justice is served."

[...]

Additionally, Bahena Rivera's story changed when he took the stand Wednesday. While what he said surprised the state, prosecutor Scott Brown says it didn't hurt the state's case.

"I think it ended up helping us," Brown said. "He told us something totally new, I can't imagine that it helped him that much."

[...]

"The very first day we met Mr. Bahena, the story he put forth on the stand was exactly the version of events he told us August 2018," defense attorney Chad Frese said. "He never varied. Not one detail. We had to get something up there and we thought the jury needed to hear directly from him."

Frese adds that he didn't do much coaching with Bahena Rivera before his testimony, as they wanted him to sound authentic.

"Apparently there was speculation that we were like, let's figure out a story," defense attorney Jennifer Frese said. "If we were going to make something up, we were going to come up with something better than that."

Chad says finding the two individuals Bahena Rivera claims killed Tibbets would be like "trying to prove Santa Claus doesn't exist"-- and that's the reasoning their case was built targeting others, like Tibbett's boyfriend.

[...]

After the verdict was read, state prosecutors representing the Tibbetts' family spent a few emotional moments together.

[...]

What??? Is this statement for real???
Yup -- he said it!

From the presser - Defense team:

CBR's defense will be filing an appeal (end of July/Early August) based on denial received for review of Judge Yates decision in the evidence suppression hearing.

The Frese are pleased that jurors deliberated 7 hours. (I think they were surprised).

Praised CBR's family -- a pleasure to work with them and also their client.

Dalton Jack's phone records -- Frese had them but couldn't introduce them as evidence. Thousands of pages. But Frese doesn't say the phone records placed Dalton in Brooklyn!

On the Ninja's -- it's like trying to prove there's no Santa.

CBR immigration status - he'll serve his sentence first.
^^bbm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member