GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox News had a short interview with him yesterday as well but at that time he didn’t say he was the foreman. He was very cautious regarding their deliberations and didn’t want to give details but it sounded like their verdict was done with deliberation and without animus. I see why he was the foreman.

Although I don’t agree with it, previous bad acts are inadmissible because they are unrelated to the actual case being presented. A judge can allow it on certain grounds, e.g. going to motive etc., but it’s not easy to get that info into a trial. IMOO

In this case it seems SO related to motive and the defense was trying to paint the picture that he has never done this before. Why would the quiet, funny, hard working guy just here to get money to send ot his poor family in Mexico ever just stop and murder a girl running and leave her in a cornfield. Well because he admitted pulling up beside her and running beside her to talk to her and if noone else has ever seen him do that, why wouldn't testimony from a girl that he did that to be allowed? It shows he did previously try to talk to girls by driving by in his car and engaging in conversation, something that made at least the one uncomfortable. It seems that really goes to motive.

I can understand if he robbed a store and past acts of domestic violence were not allowed or something completely unrelated. This case seems what was not allowed was something with the exact MO of what he was doing in this case, but he was being made out to be something else.

He could've plead guilty.

He could've had a public defender at no expense to him.

Instead someone(s) put up money on his behalf for his defense team.

For an all but certain outcome.

If family foot his bill, I'd say he doesn't have much a conscience at all, to drain resources like that.

Failed as a son.
Failed as a father.
Failed as a human being.

What a waste.

JMO

He could've plead guilty.

He could've had a public defender at no expense to him.

Instead someone(s) put up money on his behalf for his defense team.

For an all but certain outcome.

If family foot his bill, I'd say he doesn't have much a conscience at all, to drain resources like that.

Failed as a son.
Failed as a father.
Failed as a human being.

What a waste.

JMO
Thank you for saying exactly what I’ve been thinking and feeling. What a waste.

And the world is left without Mollie. By all accounts she was kind and positive and driven to be a force for good in the world. If she had changed just one life for the better working in her chosen career, she would have elevated this earth for all of us. I will never understand why anyone — such as CBR — thinks it is OK or their right to take an entire beautiful life out of the world for whatever small personal ‘needs’ and selfish desires they possess. Always, this happens; always it is wrong. Something has to change. We have to change it.

Who was Mollie Tibbetts? Family, friends reflect on life of Iowa woman

Editor's note: This profile of Mollie Tibbetts was originally published on Aug. 20, 2018. Her body was discovered early the next morning. On Friday, May 28, 2021, Cristhian Bahena Rivera, who was suspected of killing her, was found guilty of first-degree murder by a jury.

BROOKLYN, Ia. — Mollie Tibbetts' face has been seen across the country, her bright smile flashing on national news.

She has been painted as the quintessential Iowa girl; an archetype, as her father puts it. Those following the story of her disappearance have seen her posing in her senior pictures and nestled with her high school sweetheart, beaming at a University of Iowa football game.

Those in her small hometown of Brooklyn in central Iowa appreciate the widespread attention to her disappearance. They, too, consider her an all-American young woman. But they know Tibbetts as much more than the two-dimensional posters seen on TV.

In interviews with the Des Moines Register, Tibbetts' family, friends, teachers, coaches and co-workers recount stories of the cheery, sometimes silly and occasionally stubborn personality behind the missing-person notices.

At just 20, Mollie has demonstrated a desire to help others, a natural ability to work with children and a gift for making anyone feel like the most important person in a room — because she genuinely believes they are. Friends describe her nurturing character and nod in approval at her decision to study psychology at the University of Iowa, a career path they call an obvious match.

"She's already everybody’s counselor," says close friend Kayleigh Holland, 18. "Any problem that they had, you knew Mollie would help you fix it."

After weeks of relentless attention on Tibbetts' unexplained disappearance, her boyfriend, Dalton Jack, wishes more people would talk about her as a person.

“She’s not just a flyer,” he says.

[..]
_____

A beautiful profile/tribute of Mollie continues at link above - no paywall.

O/T
May 28, 2021, 8:50 PM CEST / Updated May 28, 2021, 8:58 PM CEST
Cristhian Bahena Rivera convicted of murdering Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts

Then, in a stunning move by the defense Wednesday, Rivera took the witness stand in his own defense and testified that two masked men were responsible for the crime but forced him to take part at gunpoint.
Chad and Jennifer Frese said their client told them about the masked men when they first met him nearly three years ago.

“He had never varied from that version of events, not one detail," Chad Frese said. "So we had to get something up there. We thought the jury needed to hear directly from him.”

He got that nonsense from the movies. Trust. Ninja sweater dudes is like something Quentin Tarantino would think up. Ill-advised from the start!!

I don't know why, but every time I click on it, it turns right back off. What did she say?

Here are the snippets @MsBetsy:

KCRG-TV9 spoke briefly with the jury foreman after the trial. He said the jury did discuss the mystery men, but came to the agreement, without a doubt, that it was Bahena Rivera who caused Tibbetts’ violent death.

[...] But the jury chose to believe the evidence the prosecution offered, including Tibbetts’ DNA in the back of Bahena Rivera’s car and the fact that he led investigators to Tibbetts’ body five weeks after she went missing.

Thank you for saying exactly what I’ve been thinking and feeling. What a waste.

And the world is left without Mollie. By all accounts she was kind and positive and driven to be a force for good in the world. If she had changed just one life for the better working in her chosen career, she would have elevated this earth for all of us. I will never understand why anyone — such as CBR — thinks it is OK or their right to take an entire beautiful life out of the world for whatever small personal ‘needs’ and selfish desires they possess. Always, this happens; always it is wrong. Something has to change. We have to change it.

Something has to change. Agreed. It really bothers me….even if it’s idealistic. That girls and women can’t go for a simple run(among other activities) without being objectified, threatened and have to worry for their own lives. Granted…evil exists in this world….and we always have to be cautious of it. As for Mollie’s life changing even just one person….well in death and through her memory she’s changed so many for the positive I’m sure. The memorial runs after her death, mollies movement on Facebook down to even more personal aspects…different lives who’s been personally touched by her story both before and after what happened to her. Trust me…that girl has changed the world. Sadly due to tragic and horrific circumstances. Still….her legacy and impact on the world lives on.

In this case it seems SO related to motive and the defense was trying to paint the picture that he has never done this before. Why would the quiet, funny, hard working guy just here to get money to send ot his poor family in Mexico ever just stop and murder a girl running and leave her in a cornfield. Well because he admitted pulling up beside her and running beside her to talk to her and if noone else has ever seen him do that, why wouldn't testimony from a girl that he did that to be allowed? It shows he did previously try to talk to girls by driving by in his car and engaging in conversation, something that made at least the one uncomfortable. It seems that really goes to motive.

I can understand if he robbed a store and past acts of domestic violence were not allowed or something completely unrelated. This case seems what was not allowed was something with the exact MO of what he was doing in this case, but he was being made out to be something else.

Do you know, did this other girl report the incident immediately after it occurred, prior to the arrest or only after he was arrested? In the cob-webby recesses of my mind I’m thinking it wasn’t until after the arrest. Because the timing would make a difference as well. Also IIRC he wasn’t proven guilty of that incident as far as the Court is concerned, so introducing it on say-so basis has the potential of resulting in a mistrial. It seems the prosecution was very careful so no future appeals will be successful. JMO

Last edited:
Something has to change. Agreed. It really bothers me….even if it’s idealistic. That girls and women can’t go for a simple run(among other activities) without being objectified, threatened and have to worry for their own lives. Granted…evil exists in this world….and we always have to be cautious of it. As for Mollie’s life changing even just one person….well in death and through her memory she’s changed so many for the positive I’m sure. The memorial runs after her death, mollies movement on Facebook down to even more personal aspects…different lives who’s been personally touched by her story both before and after what happened to her. Trust me…that girl has changed the world. Sadly due to tragic and horrific circumstances. Still….her legacy and impact on the world lives on.

Beautiful.

For my part, I'm going to mollie my texts. To be kinder, gentler....

She impacted me.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads