Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I've googled Mollie's name probably 100 times since she's been missing, just hoping and praying she's found safely. Something about her reminds me so much of my good friends and I'm so worried.

If anyone would like to investigate on twitter, Mollie's friends have theories on what happened to her, and I'm afraid my theory is the same. They're encouraging young women to purchase pepper spray, be careful of their surroundings, etc.

Has it been (reliably) reported what kind of phone Mollie has and if it was possible if BF could have known if she'd read his text(s) Thursday morning? There are selfies of her on the VSCO, maybe someone could tell what kind of phone she has (if it's an iPhone or other) ?

I've seen multiple pictures of her with an iPhone in her hand

I don’t understand why it’s stated that only 5 people knew she was alone. She was a young girl and not a recluse. I doubt only 5 knew she was alone. I’m sure the police are looking into many, many people. My opinion is the answer lies in something we’d consider (or at least I would) as coming from left field. MOO
That's the point, we're only discussing 5 on the board but there must have been others.
The cell records once obtained will tell more.

I don’t have any issues with LE not clearing anyone. My issue is her friends and family almost stating it as a fact (about her bf) whether he’s a POI or not.

Their are so many articles out there each with contradicting information. I wasn’t saying that we need a detailed timeline but shoot, the last time someone actually laid eyes on her or the last time she was seen on cctv would be nice. And I agree they need to hold details close to them but her face is all over nation wide and within maybe 2 days. Sometimes wita highly publicized cases such as this one is turning out to be, little to no actual details might go against them. All I keep thinking about is how much this sounds like Jennifer Kesse...IMO.

I understand your point. The thing is, we really have no idea what's going on, what they know or what they're saying.

Those poor people are in a fog of horror. They may not even be aware of the contradictions.

And many people make statements of support about someone who turns out to be a perp - either they didn't know or were encouraged by LE to make such statements.

Finally, it probably doesn't affect the case, whether her family makes statements about the boyfriend.

If LE needs accuracy in what's published they will hopefully make sure that happens.

One possibility is that given that LE is uncertain if Mollie is the victim of a crime or a voluntary missing, the warrant's necessary to deal with the issue of Mollie's lack of availability to give consent to search. Roommates can only consent to searches of common areas and areas they inhabit/control. So the BF et al could not give effective consent to search Mollie's personal space/items. Esp important if Mollie has a personal computer/laptop/other devices that LE wants to access.
She just visited there, the BF brother owned the house she would not have any rental privacy rights. The brother could consent. Her personal devices are another matter.

ETA - a warrant would list specific places and items to search so LE would be looking for specific things.

Last edited:

I love maps and geography, but for some reason I just really looked at the Brooklyn area for the first time. WOW. It is SO small. It looks like from her Facebook that she was a distance runner at least in high school, and she seems to still be keeping up her running recreationally. A former distance runner myself, I feel she could have easily run around the entire city on her runs. Someone in the town could have easily seen her and her habits since she has been home for summer and waited for her to get home from a run in the evening. I am not thinking a complete stranger, but I don’t know that anyone in a town this small could be a complete stranger. I am super paranoid and cautious when I run and walk. If I am coming back to my home alone I even make sure no one has been watching me or sees me come/go alone.

I wonder if it was a habit for her to lock the door while she went out for a run? In the neighborhood where I grew up we did not lock doors so I never took keys with me when I was running. Someone could have gone in the house and hid until she came back even.

Another thought that popped into my head thinking about locked/unlocked doors - what if the dogs had an invisible fence (not sure if confirmed) and she let them out late at night one last time for a few min and left the door unlocked until she returned to let them back inside? Someone could have surprised her then too. Depending on how friendly the dogs were/if they knew the person.

I wonder how much care the dogs really needed? Did they have a dog door? For dogs that size (if they are large labs which I think I read) a person could easily slip through the dog door. Maybe she was mainly there to put their food out each day and they could come and go through the door. Could be why there isn’t anything mentioned about the dogs condition when it was discovered she was missing, because if they’d only missed one meal and were able to come and go out of their own door they wouldn’t really show any signs of neglect yet.

Without any detailed information about her normal habits and state of the house/her belongings I am just speculating and tossing around ideas.

All IMOO

The last line of the article:

“Dalton says he's confident they'll find her and will bring her back home safely.”

He’s confident.

I know what I think of that. Gitana, Blondie, cluciano, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

If it was a mom saying that...I don't know. It did perk my ears up a bit. It reminds me of other cases.

I really, TRULY don't believe the boyfriend has anything to do with this whatsoever. Why would he just randomly decide to kill her after being together three years and his brother's wedding is next week, things are going good, they're in love, her friends seem supportive of the relationship, etc. Nah. Plus he was out of town!!! Zero motive. It kind of weirds me out that people are eyeing the boyfriend so hard.

I really, TRULY don't believe the boyfriend has anything to do with this whatsoever. Why would he just randomly decide to kill her after being together three years and his brother's wedding is next week, things are going good, they're in love, her friends seem supportive of the relationship, etc. Nah. Plus he was out of town!!! Zero motive. It kind of weirds me out that people are eyeing the boyfriend so hard.
I think in cases like this, people always consider that possibility. We've all seen relationships that looked perfectly happy from the outside and then it turns out that there is a lot more going on behind closed doors than anyone suspected.
I'm not saying that I think the boyfriend was involved at all, just that I can understand why people's minds go there.

Does anyone else think that theirs a possibility she didn’t “vanish” from the bf’s house or while jogging?

I can’t get rid of the feeling that she might have had plans that night (which only her very closest best friends know ) and something happened while she attended those plans? IMO, it wouldn’t surprise if whoever she might have been with went back to her bf’s house to drop belongings off.

IMO. Thinking outside the box.
I’m not far away from your thinking on this. I’m starting to think a friend or acquaintance (maybe someone from work) dropped by unannounced and they went to dinner together, which is why she blew off dinner at mom’s. Then at some point in the evening things took a bad turn either due to jealousy or unrequited love or something. In which case, I don’t believe she’s alive.

But what I find myself hoping is that this turns out similar to a local case from last summer when a young woman about her age just disappeared for a week or so because she became overwhelmed. Because that would mean she’s alive.

I think in cases like this, people always consider that possibility. We've all seen relationships that looked perfectly happy from the outside and then it turns out that there is a lot more going on behind closed doors than anyone suspected.
I'm not saying that I think the boyfriend was involved at all, just that I can understand why people's minds go there.

Right, I know everyone looks at the boyfriend first. And it often times unfortunately the significant other is involved. I just don't think that's what happened here.

I am pages behind, my apologies if this has been posted. The sex trafficking thought was mentioned on the Finding Mollie page.
Someone posted that usually girls/woman, younger than Mollie are taken. And being that Mollie is 5' 3, she could easily pass for a younger age. Some also wrote that living close to two major interstate highways and the ease of transporting people, that sex trafficking is more prevalent in this area. I do not know if this is true. I just remembered this being discussed.

When do rewards come into a situation? Has this been mentioned, or is a reward not always the case?

I just have to say that in every last case of a young, middle class white woman, sex trafficking is brought up. But I've yet to see that theory ever pan out.

The overwhelmingly predominate victims of sex trafficking in the US are poor and black. They are minorities and runaways/at risk youth and mostly prostitutes.

There is not and never has been a trend of young white middle class girls or women snatched off the street and trafficked.

These people know what they're doing and they know to take people who won't be missed or who society doesn't care much about.

It's not easy to control a college-educated woman with a family who adores her.

Sex trafficking theories seem seem to be rooted in the American white slavery myth but that was a fiction with racist overtones: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history.com/news/white-slave-mann-act-jack-johnson-pardon

I just have to say that in every last case of a young, middle class white woman, sex trafficking is brought up. But I've yet to see that theory ever pan out.

The overwhelmingly predominate victims of sex trafficking in the US are poor and black. They are minorities and runaways/at risk youth and mostly prostitutes.

There is not and never has been a trend of young white middle class girls or women snatched off the street and trafficked.

These people know what they're doing and they know to take people who won't be missed or who society doesn't care much about.

It's not easy to control a college-educated woman with a family who adores her.

Sex trafficking theories seem seem to be rooted in the American white slavery myth but that was a fiction with racist overtones: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history.com/news/white-slave-mann-act-jack-johnson-pardon

It's brought up in every case. GMAB

I’m not far away from your thinking on this. I’m starting to think a friend or acquaintance (maybe someone from work) dropped by unannounced and they went to dinner together, which is why she blew off dinner at mom’s. Then at some point in the evening things took a bad turn either due to jealousy or unrequited love or something. In which case, I don’t believe she’s alive.

But what I find myself hoping is that this turns out similar to a local case from last summer when a young woman about her age just disappeared for a week or so because she became overwhelmed. Because that would mean she’s alive.

First part - possible but why did the family make a point of the red shirt she would wear the next day was missing?
Second - still a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members