IA - Shirley Carter, 68, shot to death, Lacona, 19 June 2015 *Son Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 1h1 hour ago
Jason Carter's brother Billy Dean Carter is on the stand talking about the day he found out his mother had been murdered. #StateVsCarter #iacourts @WHOhd

D1j3EQCXcAA_AyS.jpg

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 2h2 hours ago
Billy Dean Carter is now on the stand. He's Jason Carter's brother. He is going through what he was doing the morning of June 19, 2015. #iacourts #statevscarter

Kyle Ocker‏ @Kyle_Ocker 1h1 hour ago
Jason Carter was as emotional as he has been during the trial. He was handed a box of tissues and use some to wipe his face during his brother’s testimony.

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 1h1 hour ago
It didn't take long for Billy Carter to get choked up. He says his sister called to tell him their mother had been shot.

"I had my best friend come and get me because I couldn't drive." He said he just couldn't function after hearing the news. #iacourts #statevscarter

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 45m45 minutes ago
Billy Carter talking about a convo w/ his brother after their mother's death: "I said everything's going to be ok. And he said, 'do you think they had to rack another round?' And I said, 'I don't know, Jason. I don't know what's going on.' That's what was said." #iacourts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 37m37 minutes ago
Jana Lain's husband, DW Lain, is talking about the scene when he and Jana arrived at the Carter house, "It was kind of a chaotic scene." #StateVsCarter @WHOhd

D1kCcSEXQAAMN2b.jpg

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 15m15 minutes ago
We are in a break now! Once they come back, the state says they have one more witness scheduled for the day. That means we may get done a little early this afternoon. #iacourts #statevscarter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 17m17 minutes ago
Teri Van Kooten is the Marion County Medical Examiner. She is describing the condition of Shirley Carter's body. #iacourts #statevscarter

D1kNkyEWoAMDTy9.jpg

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 1m1 minute ago
Van Kooten is currently discussing rigor mortis, which is very important in this case. It doesn't set in immediately after death. She says it was present, but Shirley Carter "was not fully rigor." #iacourts #statevscarter

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 3m3 minutes ago
That's a wrap for today (45 minutes early). We anticipate a LONG day of testimony tomorrow that will include Bill Carter, the defendant's dad. It all gets going again at 9 a.m. #iacourts #statevscarter
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 9am CT) – IA – Shirley Carter (68) (June 19, 2015, Lacona) – *Jason Gene Carter (45) “son” arrested (12/17/18) & charged (12/18/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $1M bond.
Trial moved from Marion County to Council Bluffs in Pottawattamie County.
Trial started 3/8/19. (estimate 3 weeks for trial)
A civil suit was brought against Jason by his father & siblings re mother’s death; 12/17/17 Jury unanimous decision that a preponderance of evidence existed he was liable for his mother’s death. 2/2/19: Judge Martha Mertz rules Carter will not get a new civil trial after he was found civilly responsible for killing his mother.

Court dates from 5/2/18 to 2/6/19 reference post #44 here: IA - Shirley Carter, 68, shot to death, Lacona, 19 June 2015 *Son Arrested*
Court dates from 2/14/19 to 2/26/19 reference post #57 here:
Jury Selection from 3/5/19 thru 3/7/19 reference post #86 here:
Trial Days 1 (3/8/19) thru 3 (3/12/19) reference post #114 here:

3/13/19 Day 4: State witnesses: Iowa DCI Criminalist Mike Halverson. Joe Kennedy, the Vice President of BlueLine Training Group. (He says he specializes in cold cases. He reviewd the crime scene & victim/suspect). Darryl Valinchus. a former NYPD officer (cell phone data). Billy Dean Carter, Jason's bro. DW Lain, Jana Lain's husband. Teri Van Kooten, Marion County Medical Examiner. Trial continues to 3/14.

Jason Carter Brought to Tears Hearing Brother, Billy Carter, Testify (with clip)

MARCH 13, 2019

"COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa -- On Wednesday, both expert witnesses and family members testified in the first-degree murder trial of Jason Carter, who is accused of killing his mother Shirley Carter on June 19, 2015.

Attorneys started where they left off on Tuesday, questioning Iowa DCI Criminalist Mike Halverson.

Halverson talked about the crime scene team's investigation and examined photographs of scene at the Carter's house....

The jury also heard from Darryl Valinchus, an expert in mapping cell phone towers and visualization. He talked about approximate locations of the Carters’ cell phone calls on June 19, 2015

A former NCIS agent, Joe Kennedy, examined certain aspects of the crime scene in the Carter home, particularly in the bedroom and dining room, which appeared “ransacked.”...

Jason Carter was brought to tears when he heard his own brother, Billy Carter, talking about the moment he found out their mother had been murdered....

Bull said he plans to call Bill Carter, Jason Carter’s father, to the stand and the medical examiner on Thursday when court reconvenes at the Pottawattamie County Courthouse at 9 a.m."

Jason Carter Brought to Tears Hearing Brother, Billy Carter, Testify

We are 15 minutes away from the continuation of testimony in the Jason Carter murder trial. We anticipate Bill Carter, the defendant's dad, to take the stand today. #iacourts #statevscarter

Here's a quick recap of yesterday>>

Witness scrutinizes crime scene during Jason Carter murder trial

Kyle Ocker‏ @Kyle_Ocker 1h1 hour ago
Bill Carter is first up this morning. We expect his testimony will last a significant portion of today.

Also have the medical examiner and a couple police officers scheduled. #StateVsCarter #JasonCarter #ShirleyCarter #CarterTrial

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 45m45 minutes ago
#StateVsCarter day 5 is now underway. I believe the live stream at law and crime is now up: http://ow.ly/wcxV30o2J74 @WHOhd #iacourts

D1n_b9mXQAY0JgW.jpg

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 57m57 minutes ago
We are back in the courtroom today in the #JasonCarter trial. We expect Bill Carter to take the stand.

Watch Live: Jason Carter Murder Trial

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 51m51 minutes ago
#JasonCarter - Carter stands for the jury.

D1n-kn1U0AIEhP1.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 51m51 minutes ago
Here we go. Bill Carter is on the stand testifying in his son's murder trial.

Remember, he filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Jason Carter and won more than a year ago. #iacourts #statevscarter

D1n_dv-X0AEI0Ej.jpg
D1n_dwEX4AA7oPb.jpg

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 49m49 minutes ago
Jason Carter's father, Bill Carter, is on the stand now. He's talking about his life with his late wife, Shirley Carter. @WHOhd #StateVsCarter #iacourts

D1oAPNWXgAAtQf3.jpg

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 36m36 minutes ago
So far, most of the questioning has avoided anything about Shirley's death. A lot about where they lived, how long they lived there, do they have air conditioning, what temperature they kept the house, etc.

"I kept it at 71. She kept it at 73," Bill Carter says w/ a small smirk.

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 25m25 minutes ago
#StateVsCarter: Right now we are taking a virtual tour of Bill Carter's home, where Shirley Carter was shot and killed. He still lives in that home today. The picture you see here is the empty space in the basement where his gun safe would have been.@WHOhd #iacourts

D1oGHAMX0AAeoY-.jpg

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 16m16 minutes ago
Bill Carter is getting a little teary-eyed talking about his working relationship with his wife. He says they split farming duties 50/50, and she was great at it.

"I didn't have to tell Shirley what to do." #iacourts #statevscarter

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 15m15 minutes ago
Bill Carter is talking about farming with his wife Shirley Carter. They split the farm work 50/50. "She always did a perfect job." #StateVsCarter @whohd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 33s34 seconds ago
Bill Carter said if both he and Shirley had died on June 19, 2015 Jason Carter would have gotten, "The farm which was worth $3.5 to 4 million and another $800,000 at least in cash assets." #StateVsCarter @WHOhd

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 4m4 minutes ago
It's all about setting up a motive right now. The state is asking about Bill & Shirley's will. Bill says Jason Carter knew what was in it, & if both had died, Jason Carter would have inherited the farm (worth $3-4.5 million) and at least another $800,000 in cash assets. #iacourts

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 8m8 minutes ago
#JasonCarter - Court takes the morning break. Bill Carter is still on the stand when the trial resumes.

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 20m20 minutes ago
We are starting to talk about what Bill and Shirley Carter were doing the day she died. Bill says they woke up and got coffee at Casey's (lots of Casey's talk in this trial) in Milo. He then dropped Shirley off at home around 7:45 a.m., & he headed to Eddyville to unload grain.

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 39s39 seconds ago
Bill Carter is now discussing the moment he found his wife of 50+ years dead in their kitchen.

Crying, he says, "I picked her head up, and I kissed her on the forehead." #iacourts #statevscarter

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 20m20 minutes ago
#JasonCarter getting emotional during his father's testimony as he describes seeing his wife, shot dead, on the floor of their home.

(video clip: Cathy Russon on Twitter )

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 20m20 minutes ago
#JasonCarter - Bill Carter says one time in 52 years of marriage they spent a night apart when he went skiing. One night in 52 years.

(video clip: Cathy Russon on Twitter )

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 12m12 minutes ago
Bill Carter is talking about when he found his wife Shirley dead in the kitchen. He said Jason was pointing out bullet holes not long after he arrived and told him to look at his office saying, "Some son of a bi*** has robbed you and they’ve killed mom."@WHOhd #StateVsCarter

D1ofOnHWkAEv0IV.jpg

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 6m6 minutes ago
Bill Carter was asked to explain his emotional state on June 19, 2015. He says he was a mess.

"They say your life can change in an instant. It did. It changed, and it will never be the same." #iacourts #statevscarter

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 22m22 minutes ago
Bill Carter explaining why he said his wife was in rigor mortis.

He says he was upset hearing on local news there was no threat to public. He took that as authorities implying someone in his family did this. "I have a good family. I said, 'this didn't happen within my family.'"

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 44s44 seconds ago
We are now breaking for lunch. Bill Carter will be back on the stand at 1:15. #iacourts #statevscarter

Last edited:
Kyle Ocker‏ @Kyle_Ocker 39m39 minutes ago
Story from this morning's testimony from Bill Carter. Court reconvenes at 1:15 p.m. with Bill Carter still on the stand for direct examination: #StateVsCarter #JasonCarter #ShirleyCarter #CarterTrial

Bill Carter: Life ‘will never be the same’
Father testifies in murder trial against son

March 14, 2019

"COUNCIL BLUFFS — Prosecutors hadn't even finished their cross-examination of Jason Carter’s father before lunch Thursday.

Testimony from Bill Carter, at times emotional, about his late wife Shirley Carter will take more than three hours in the first-degree murder case against Jason Carter....

While over time after the death of his wife of 52 years, Bill Carter began to believe his son is who killed her.

That wasn’t always the case, however. Thursday, he recalled feeling angry after the media reported the public was not in any danger. Bill Carter believed that seemed to imply they felt family perpetrated the killing, specifically either himself or Jason Carter.

“That made me mad, angry. I was telling [county attorney Ed Bull], and the sheriff and Mike Motsinger, the head of DCI at that time, I said, ‘I have a good family.’ I said, ‘This didn’t happen within my family.’”

In the midst of his anger, he said, he repeated what Jason Carter had told him: That Shirley Carter was cold and stiff.

But Bill Carter said she wasn’t. At the scene, he touched her body three times. She was cold, but he was able to lift her head up to kiss her on the forehead

He was just angry and taking it out on the three leading the investigation, he said.

About three years prior to Shirley Carter’s death, a nearby methamphetamine lab was busted and the nearby public was told to lock their doors and keep a lookout, Bill Carter remembered.

“The boys that were running it took off into the timber. And we all got phone calls to look our doors and be on the lookout. And then my wife is laying there dead, and they say, ‘Don’t worry about it.’”...."

Bill Carter: Life ‘will never be the same’

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 4m4 minutes ago
Back from lunch and Bill Carter is talking about his and Shirley's relationship with their son Jason Carter. "They were fairly close like most sons and mothers." #StateVsCarter @WHOhd

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 24m24 minutes ago
The state is done questioning Bill Carter. It's now cross-examination. The witness is getting a little perturbed as the defense asks him about how much help Jason Carter provided on their farm. He says his son didn't help them, but adds they didn't want help. #iacourts

Laura Barczewski‏Verified account @LcBarczewski 2h2 hours ago
Jon Kraemer is on the stand now. He assisted in the autopsy of Shirley Carter in June 2015. @WHOhd #StateVsCarter

D1pUfMEW0AAf6HZ.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 2h2 hours ago
#JasonCarter - WATCH LIVE: Dr. Jonathan Thompson, Medical Examiner, now on the stand. https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/jason-carter/watch-live-jason-carter-murder-trial/ …

D1pUy-uVYAAEyAh.png

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 2h2 hours ago
Emotional testimony is done. It's now very technical. They are talking autopsy with the deputy chief state medical examiner is on the stand. #iacourts #statevscarter

The medical examiner says Shirley Carter suffered two gunshot wounds to the chest. He says both hit her heart. He says her heart was "shredded," which he says indicates a rifle was used. #iacourts #statevscarter

Hannah Hilyard KCCI‏Verified account @Hannah_KCCI 58m58 minutes ago
Testimony is done for the day. Sounds like the state plans on resting its case tomorrow, but the judge was not sure if the defense would have time to start Friday.

But you know the drill at this point -- testimony will pick back up tomorrow at 9 a.m. #iacourts #statevscarter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Father testifies against his son in death of Shirley Carter (with clip)

Mar 14, 2019

"COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa —
Jason Carter is on trial for allegedly killing his mother, Shirley Carter, in 2015.

His father, Bill Carter, took the witness stand Thursday.

Bill Carter’s testimony centered around his family farm. Carter said that he and his wife worked equally on their almost 1,000-acre farm.

"It was 50/50,” Bill Carter said. “(Shirley would) run the equipment for me, got (the) ground ready and then I planted it. And she always stayed ahead of me and did a perfect job."..."

Father testifies against his son in death of Shirley Carter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back