IA - Tyler, Sarah, and Lula Schmidt Killed at Maquoketa Caves State Park Campsite, 2022 *killer dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also, given the parents' repeated insistence that the firearm was in a "secure container," it seems designed to stave off criticism that they (maybe psychically, but probably not) anticipated they would receive if *something bad* were to happen involving their gun.

I am sure the parents are still in a state of shock. So perhaps they are saying that while in shock. But a part of me wonders if they are already saying that knowing they could be held civilly liable (wrongful death) someday down the road if indeed their son was the murderer while using their weapon.

MOO.

Also, this passage makes me think AS was perhaps somewhat paranoid or intellectually challenged (or, I guess, naive?):

“The La Vista Police Department in Nebraska released records Monday showing that it had only one prior contact with Sherwin, when he walked into a police station in July 2017 to report someone had tried to use his insurance to get dental work done in Oklahoma. Sherwin later called police to inform them his insurance company had mistakenly sent him someone else's bill.”

In 2017 AS would’ve been 17 or 18 years old, which IMO is old enough to be able to calmly reason through this situation (by calling the insurance company, for a start!) before jumping to the conclusion that he’d been the victim of identity theft and asking the local police to get involved.
I wonder if he told his parents about the bill? I am not sure he did because I think most grown adults would have called the ins company and been able to clear it up easily.

I would not be surprised if Anthony O. Sherwin is an injustice collector or grudge hoarder. They often commit heinous crimes.
Do you have other examples of cases where that is true? What would the similarities be? I suppose one category would be incels, but I don’t think we have anything to indicate that’s in play here.

Regarding police in Nebraska doing a welfare check at the Sherwin home. It's possible Anthony communicated with someone who didn't realize he was camping. This person became concerned by this text/call/post and sent police to the family home.

Regarding police in Nebraska doing a welfare check at the Sherwin home. It's possible Anthony communicated with someone who didn't realize he was camping. This person became concerned by this text/call/post and sent police to the family home.
Great thought. So, the scenario would be something like: AS called a friend while camping and wasn't making any sense. The friend didn't realize AS was over in IA camping with his folks, and called the police for a welfare check assuming he was at the NB apartment.

It is also entirely possible then, for AS's parents to call the NE police for a welfare check, when they didn't find him in the campground ( bathroom search ). Weren't they frantically looking for him, prior to the horrific crime scene being unfolded? Did they think he may have gone back home? If so, why a welfare check? What were they worried about?

It is also entirely possible then, for AS's parents to call the NE police for a welfare check, when they didn't find him in the campground ( bathroom search ). Weren't they frantically looking for him, prior to the horrific crime scene being unfolded? Did they think he may have gone back home? If so, why a welfare check? What were they worried about?

Depending on when they lost track of him, this seems entirely plausible to me.

Which is not to say it happened that way--other scenarios are certainly possible.

Mostly reports what we already know, but a few new details emerge:

"Felicia Coe was camping at the park last week with her boyfriend and his 16- and 11-year-old sons.

She says Friday was supposed to be a beautiful day exploring caves and nature before it took a turn for the worst.She was talking with a friend who says she woke up to what sounded like a scream and fireworks.

"I thought well, it's six o'clock in the morning. People aren't shooting off fireworks and my next
thought was not 'somebody's murdering a family," Coe said. " I had no concern at that moment."

Coe described the moment authorities told her to move to a different part of the park.

“I was talking with my friend when two heavily geared up what I think were park rangers came up with you know, big, automatic-looking guns and they were clearly very alert and something was going on and made eye contact with us. And one waved us over and then said get to the front of the park,” Coe said."

Sounds like the rangers had been alerted (by whom?) that AS was missing along with the Sherwin family's firearm. I don't know if they'd have been just as "heavily geared up" if they were only searching for a missing person and not potentially anticipating there might be a firearm involved.

Last edited:
This article answers my question about who reported AS missing:

"Sherwin's parents said they were at the park with him. His mom Cecilia said they reported him missing Friday, then learned he was the suspect.

Cecelia Sherwin said she was the first to make contact with the boy who survived. She said the child told her the shooter wore black, but Sherwin said Anthony was wearing green clothing that day."

I'm a bit surprised reporters haven't sought out AS's former classmates or others who knew him. Was he attending school? Was he working? Do we know anything about him other than his mother's statement??

Why would a man knock on a men's room door?
Something's not right here. What? Did Sherwin's parents suspect him doing something either to himself or others? IDK its hard to say. Yes its strange that a man would knock on a mensroom stall door. There are some mental illnesses where people are imagining harming due to an undiagnosed mental condition that should be reported to mental health professionals so that the imaginary harm is not acted upon. It should be done ASAP IMO. The sooner the better for the one experiencing the thoughts and for obviously potential victims. IDK the situation here so its all MOO.

Something's not right here. What? Did Sherwin's parents suspect him doing something either to himself or others? IDK its hard to say. Yes its strange that a man would knock on a mensroom stall door. There are some mental illnesses where people are imagining harming due to an undiagnosed mental condition that should be reported to mental health professionals so that the imaginary harm is not acted upon. It should be done ASAP IMO. The sooner the better for the one experiencing the thoughts and for obviously potential victims. IDK the situation here so its all MOO.
With all these red flags, why does the family carry a gun?
Assuming they are storing it properly, are they also trying to prevent the son from having access?
If they know the son might attempt to get it from its secure storage space, why even bring it?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett
Back