ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The FBI has been working on the investigation since the beginning with dozens of agents, so they are part of the investigative team, and maybe there's something about "crossing state lines" that allows them to do things like transport in a more secure or cost effective manner, and take it out of the hands of ID and PA. JMOO

"Usually, US Marshals transport prisoners heading across state lines," said Brady McCarron, deputy chief of public affairs for the US Marshals Service. "But on this occasion, the FBI is handling that per their request."

The FBI insisted on transporting the suspect in the deaths of 4 college students back to Idaho
IMO US Marshals handle fugitive warrants, BK wasn't a fugitive or considered one in the PCA for an arrest warrant. I;m not posting this to go down legal rabbit holes just an observation on my part.

The FBI has been working on the investigation since the beginning with dozens of agents, so they are part of the investigative team, and maybe there's something about "crossing state lines" that allows them to do things like transport in a more secure or cost effective manner, and take it out of the hands of ID and PA. JMOO

"Usually, US Marshals transport prisoners heading across state lines," said Brady McCarron, deputy chief of public affairs for the US Marshals Service. "But on this occasion, the FBI is handling that per their request."

The FBI insisted on transporting the suspect in the deaths of 4 college students back to Idaho
The Moscow ID police department and Latah county DA are in charge of the investigation. The FBI has been asked to assist. They are not operating as far as we know under their own jurisdiction. I see nothing so far that would trigger federal jurisdiction in this case. The State of Idaho is responsible for arranging transportation of their prisoner back to Idaho. They can ask the US Marshal Service to assist, but it appears they arranged that with the Pennsylvania State Police instead.

Criminal Defense Attorney: it would be very unusual for an attorney to be present for inmate transport, and I expect that the transporting agency would cite security concerns if such a request were made. The defense would likely need to have a fairly compelling reason, and make a motion to the court in the jurisdiction that is providing transport.

They may have spoken by phone, but it would have to be on a secure, private, and non-recorded line. Sometimes there are concerns that the attorney phone line is not truly secure, in which case calls would be avoided.

Given the present status, where the defense hasn't even reviewed the affidavit, discussions would primarily be procedural in nature, and would not go deeply into facts of the case. Those things will be addressed with his attorney in Idaho.
Do u think the state will lay out the motive and timeline in the pca?

Does anyone know what time he will land?
Thank you.
Looks like Rapid City to Pullman is about 1 hr 50min. I think Pullman may be the closest airport.

I don't understand the statements. It seams obvious there is blood everywhere. Does clean crime scene refer to BK's DNA?
Cross contamination between rooms - cross contamination of what.

IMO did he leave evidence or not. It's not a food or pharma lab... cross contamination seems like it would be a disadvantage to investigators.
My guess the cross-contamination between rooms was because there was a lot of blood and he tracked it on his shoes as he moved through the house. Blood from room 1 went to room 2 which mixed with blood from that room, then room 1 and 2 blood tracked to room 3 to mix there. If that's the case, they'd know the order of the rooms he went to simply by following the bloody prints. Also, sounds like they'd also have shoe prints to match to BK's shoes. IF he kept them (likely did IMO).

"It wasn't a clean crime scene. There was cross contamination between the rooms. This wasn't a professional job — this was something more haphazard."

Source: Inside the Idaho Murders Police Investigation: 'We Had Officers Breaking Down at the Scene'

Last edited:
Looks like Rapid City to Pullman is about 1 hr 50min. I think Pullman may be the closest airport.

Thank you.

Good point. Just thinking, would you want to be near the crime scene for their rest of you life, and always be the relative of BK in the public eye?

I assume that if he is convicted, it would be a state prison in Idaho.
If he is convicted will his legal team be able to negotiate his transfer to a prison closer to his family?

While we are all on the flight that will seemingly never end :confused:, I thought I'd listen in to CeCe Moore (chief genetic genealogist at Parabon) being interviewed on the Crime Stories podcast.

CeCe confirmed that the genetic genealogy results very likely came from GEDmatch or Family Tree DNA since the results came so quickly. These two databases hold the DNA of about 2 million people. Databases like Ancestry aren't usually used by LE since LE would have to fight for access to those databases in court and companies like Ancestry have very deep pockets to very actively fight the use of their private databases by law enforcement.

CeCe is saying Bryan can't be too smart if, as a student of criminology, he didn't realize it would be virtually impossible to commit this type of violent, intimate crime without leaving DNA behind. She said he had to be familiar with investigative genetic genealogy, so even if he wasn't in law enforcement databases, he could be tracked through the DNA of distant relatives.

CeCe said it's likely the investigative genealogists who worked on this case were building trees for days on end with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. cousins unless they got really lucky and hit on a closer relative. She said the 24/7 urgency to crack this case by investigative genealogists was immense due to fear of another attack. CeCe said they might not have had a lot of great matches initially since Bryan's family has a lot of immigrant ancestors in the last few generations.

CeCe said that after investigative genealogists identified Bryan, LE most likely staked Bryan out to pull items from his trash.

We'll be landing many, many hours from now. For your safety and the safety of those around you, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened and keep the aisle clear until we are parked at the gate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I'm sure the neighbors would give them a real warm welcome. NOT!
Probably not, but regardless, it is an option for the parents and family to use, if possible. If it were my loved one, I would certainly consider this option as I would want to be physically near to them and provide emotional support, provided I believed in their innocence. So painful and gut wrenching.

I think a PC12 has a forward lavatory. I wonder if they don't trust letting BK be in it and need to get to airport. Definitely wouldn't be room for 2.

Should have had enough fuel for the trip from Champaign to Moscow. Range is around 2300 miles.
Maybe they stopped so they could clandestinely switch planes and let the original fly on to Idaho, just to throw off people who are tracking it.

BK still has an apartment in Pullman, WA the parents or interested parties, with his permission could make it their "home base."
I believe it's WSU-owned graduate housing as opposed to a privately leased apartment, so the parents could not live there especially if he's been "unenrolled" by the school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member