ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m trying to clear something up in my head hoping someone can help…

So we now know DM’s bedroom was located on the 2nd floor also and not the 1st floor that was initially reported - is that correct?

If so, from the affidavit I would assume M and K were killed after E and X because of the following:

“The male walked past D.M. as she stood in a "frozen shock phase." The male walked towards the back sliding glass door. D.M. locked herself in her room after seeing the male. D.M. did not state that she recognized the male. This leads investigators to believe that the murderer left the scene.”

Reading this and looking at the floor plan, I’m assuming BK walked past DM as he was coming down the stairs from the 3rd floor and walked past her straight out the sliding door located on the 2nd floor.

Does that sound right? Sorry if it’s already been discussed.
That's correct -- Note the door opens into the room with the hinges toward the sliding door and the door knob is toward the stairs. Cuomo of NewsNation had a nice 3D rendering of the house tonight --- so the only way she sees BK walking toward her is if the door is almost wide open and she is looking towards the stairs. It seems that BK had to see her. There's no way to open the door a little & peak and see his face etc.

As a true crime junkie, I must disagree.

Unless he had a night of pure dumb luck, I fail to see how he could kill four people in under 20 minutes, and elude capture for weeks, without a lot of careful planning.
I understand your view but I haven't heard any details that sound like "careful planning".

Per the affidavit, the last murder happens at 4:17 am. The dog starts barking loudly at that time. By 4:20 am, BK is already back in the car. I think it's not unreasonable that the dog barking scared him and he knew he had to get out of there so he may have been in too much of a hurry to see DM. Given that K and M's last cell phone stuff happened at 2:52 am, I'm going to guess they were asleep, she thought K was playing with the dog but it might have been something else.
Other questions I have: Why wasn't the DD driver also targeted? The thing I don't get is that X (I'm assuming she's the last victim) doesn't scream for help, call 911, anything. Is she trying to protect her surviving roommates in her last moments so the killer doesn't know they're there?
One scenario I was thinking of is that if X saw him and was the one who said "there's someone here" in an effort to wake E, BK could have been coming directly behind her and quickly disabled her, then going on to kill E who seemed a larger threat. That could be why someone was heard crying, but not screaming, and then the creepy words "don't worry..." coming from the killer before he goes back to finally kill X. JMO.

To me, it sounds like the same masks most of us wore every time we left the house, for about a year, during the height of Covid, and the same masks which I still see people wearing every day even now, though admittedly, far fewer. Nothing approaching PPE planning. JMO
Maybe he was wearing a mask like the one his father is wearing in the picture linked below.

Thank you for this!

What does the last sentence mean in the 5:32 pm - 5:36 pm entry:

~5:32 p.m. - 5:36 p.m., the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources that provide coverage to Johnson, ID. The 8458 Phone then stops reporting to the network from approximately 5:36 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. That is consistent with the 8458 Phone being in the area that the 8458 Phone traveled in the hours immediately following the suspected time the homicides occurred.

Are they saying that at 5:36 pm, his phone turns off but they know he’s in the same area that he drove to immediately after the homicides? For 3 hours??

Sounds like he was disposing evidence, or going back to move whatever evidence he had dropped off earlier that morning to a better spot (and trying to find that knife sheath).
I thought this LE written affidavit was excellent for the most part, but this section gave me a headache. I still don’t totally understand it, and surely it could have been worded more clearly.

What I think he tried to say is that immediately after the murders, BK went down this way (south), which was “consistent” with where he returned to later in the day when he went dark between 5:36 - 8:30pm in the area *somewhere near?* Johnson, ID.

But I didn’t see where he’d traveled that far east (i.e., Johnson, ID),“immediately following the suspected time the homicides occurred.” After the murders, his phone had pinged near Genessee and Uniontown, ID. (pp. 13-14 of affidavit).

Thats not in the same area he traveled to immediately following the murders, and I find it confusing. Johnson, ID looks a good distance away (~75 miles), and that’s just the last place he pinged before going dark for 3 hours.

There, isn’t that as clear as mud? :)

As a true crime junkie, I must disagree.

Unless he had a night of pure dumb luck, I fail to see how he could kill four people in under 20 minutes, and elude capture for weeks, without a lot of careful planning.

But he didn't. They were on his trail for a long time before he was finally arrested. They ID'd his car and phone pings back in November.

I wonder if LE will end up having any evidence from the victims (dna, fibers, souvenirs, etc...) that was found during the PA arrest of BK and related search warrants for BK, the parents' house, and the Elantra? Do we know how long teams might have been at the parents' house to search for/collect any evidence?

MOO.

Probably just to see what action, if any, was taking place on the scene. He wanted to see the reactions…LE response…news media…

He wanted to see if the crime had been discovered yet.
It almost certainly backs up the claim that criminals/murderers always return to the scene of the crime, huh? That's my opinion anyway.

If he only thought two were home and kept finding more people, may have been frantic and focused on getting out of there. If EC was the person who said “I’ll help you,” then she may have thought the incident was being handled. We don’t know who said that or if that is, in fact, what was said.

It interests me that Xana is the one who seems likely to be the one who fought back. If EC was stabbed while sleeping, she may have seen him and been the one to say she was going to help. Perhaps she was in the bathroom and EC was stabbed in that brief window of time.

Idk. Makes me sick to think about it. Jmo
Maybe ec was stabbed while she was downstairs getting her door dash food?

PhD funding / work usually includes working as a TA, as BK did. He would have probably had to do that along with any internship he acquired. With a PhD, he was probably preparing for future jobs in Academia. I have heard from students in his class (from TikTok -- I don't work at WSU) that he was a harsh grader and then started giving 100% grades without feedback after the murders. This is all from social media, cannot confirm, it's just what I've seen.
So then I suppose he could have done both? He applied for a Fall 2022 internship, IIRC.

I'm curious if he wasn't accepted and for what reason. If he told the mechanic he planned to be a professor, he may have given up his plans by then.

Was he already planning the murders in August when he first drove through the area? Did he start scoping out houses as soon as he got there?

Just how long had he fantasized about the murders? Years? Was that why he studied psychology and criminology?

It's almost as if his whole life was leading up to this moment.

What went wrong?

This is an excellent post.
I second that sentiment. Hailing from a proud family of military personnel I understand precisely how grotesque it is when anyone impersonates a military GI. It’s the worst and most offensive type of hypocrisy and such a truly dishonorable type of crime.

I have family members who avoid Memorial and Veterans Day events due to the large number of frauds running wild and impersonating military on those occasions. They also say it occurs non-stop at the Vietnam memorial wall.

Is it for the sense of comaraderie or commonality? To be part of something greater than themselves? To feel important and special? They somehow believe that donning some second hand camo gear and patches and medals never earned or received will instantaneously transform their entire history. Sick individuals indeed. JMOO

Maybe he thought he might have dropped the sheath where he parked in Moscow. So he returned at 9am after he cleaned up to look for it on the street in the daylight
I thought the doors were locked post the murders?

But he didn't. They were on his trail for a long time before he was finally arrested. They ID'd his car and phone pings back in November.

Absolutely true. But they didn't have the evidence to arrest him.

Which means to me that this was a carefully planned crime on his part, rather than a spur of the moment, frenzy thing in which he would have left evidence all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Owlsorflowers