ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 71

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy to dismiss individual pieces of evidence when examined inside of a vacuum, in it's own silo. But with the totality of evidence no juror on this planet is going to believe that this guy just has really really really bad luck. And all of this crazy coincidences happen to befall him on the one night a house full of college students were murdered.

Meh, I don't think we can presume what jury will and won't do. As often as innocent people are convicted, I believe guilty people go free. JMO.

we don’t know w complete certainty a Kabar was used. If the knife proves to be different this could be reasonable doubt. I do think the state will have much more evidence than what's been provided in the PCA.
No one has said the knife was a Kabar only that it was similar to a Kabar and that even the ME can only describe the knife (length, width, serrated or not, with or without quillon, etc) but not determine the brand name.

No one has said the knife was a Kabar only that it was similar to a Kabar and that even the ME can only describe the knife (length, width, serrated or not, with or without quillon, etc) but not determine the brand name.
Why exactly does the brand matter, though? They are still dead, by a KaBar or similar knife and similar size. Coroner said this. https://www.kpax.com/news/crime-and-courts/coroner-says-university-of-idaho-students-were-murdered-with-large-knife

Moscow, Idaho police still searching for fixed-blade knife after suspect Kohberger's arrest

Last edited:
I’ve never, not once, followed a case where the state didn’t have quite a bit more than what was in the PCA. Almost always the testing isn’t remotely close to being done, and the provable cause hearing provides a ton more evidence. Even then, the testing doesn’t tend to be done though.

Because the gag order came right after BK was arrested, there’s a number of types of evidence that we can’t possibly know about, yet.

As you said, DNA of the victims, found in his car, would be damming.

And, although motive doesn’t need to be proven, if his computer or phone shows any signs of interest in the location, or the victims—that will be as much proof of motive as we’re going to get, short of a truthful confession.

But that isn't how the legal system works, IMO. They don't need to present a reasonable alternative. All they need to do is plant reasonable doubt that it was BK's. IMO.
With a large amount of evidence trying BK to the murders, I think defense would have to present a reasonable SODDI defense.

If you feel like a long read, this Loyola University essay describes the obstacles to a SODDI defense.

But that isn't how the legal system works, IMO. They don't need to present a reasonable alternative. All they need to do is plant reasonable doubt that it was BK's. IMO.
They would also have plant reasonable doubt about alllll the other danming stuff they have that we haven't seen. My money is on him pleading out. IMO

Before or after his arrest? Because before is of interest, but after is just "eh".
Banfield is stating that he was terminated on December 19th. He had two confrontations with his professor, had been on an improvement plan and ultimately terminated. Fired over behavioral problems, that had started as early as October.

They would also have plant reasonable doubt about alllll the other danming stuff they have that we haven't seen. My money is on him pleading out. IMO

Well, just as it's the totality of evidence that might get a conviction, it's also the defense of a totality of evidence that would need to garner reasonable doubt. IMO, the defense's best bet would be to show tunnel vision by officers, excluding others pretty quickly and landing on the "weird" guy in town because he was "weird" or socially awkward, then they'd have to take the pieces where they do have an alternative to offer and do that. For instance, offer the alternative of BK at the grocery store during at least some of those 12 pings in the "area" of the house. I think the testing of the items from house will be important and of his car.

Well, just as it's the totality of evidence that might get a conviction, it's also the defense of a totality of evidence that would need to garner reasonable doubt. IMO, the defense's best bet would be to show tunnel vision by officers, excluding others pretty quickly and landing on the "weird" guy in town because he was "weird" or socially awkward, then they'd have to take the pieces where they do have an alternative to offer and do that. For instance, offer the alternative of BK at the grocery store during at least some of those 12 pings in the "area" of the house. I think the testing of the items from house will be important and of his car.
IMO there will not be a trial. We will see.

Banfield is stating that he was terminated on December 19th. He had two confrontations with his professor, had been on an improvement plan and ultimately terminated. Fired over behavioral problems, that had started as early as October.

Interesting. I wonder if the university was tipped off about him possibly being a suspect after the white Elantra was discovered?

That makes me wonder if he ever intended to come back to Washington. Explains the car trip. He was willing to ditch his apartment, those personal possessions, but maybe decided that there was no way around the fact that his parents would question hard the car being left behind.

Very much MOO, I have no hard evidence for this being reality.

So DM who, per the PCA, was shocked and went back into her room and locked the door and was (IMO) too scared to check on Xana on the 2nd floor left the bedroom to go downstairs to the 1st floor? I totally buy that she was too scared to do anything (I actually posted on one of the first days after the murders that if the 2 roommates were awake, they were likely scared and hiding until morning), but I can't picture her willingly coming out of that 2nd floor room to go down to the first when she had no idea what she'd find down there.

Fear can be terrifying and provokes panic attacks in some. I agree that DM was unable to notify anyone for help for some reasons until she reached a friend who came by the house, in person, in order to help her handle the possible tragedy.

That friend might have discovered E&X. That friend, or DM, prob dialed 911 with DM's phone and dispatch informed that everybody needed to exit the home and not to touch a thing. Before the dispatch call, EC's brother may have been contacted. His vehicle is one of those towed away by police; thereby, indicating his presence when LE arrived.

There becomes a small gathering of survivors, along with friends, and perhaps neighbors, waiting outside near the front entry of the 1122 House when police arrive. Standard procedure would be to place the two survivors in the backseats of patrol cars, without handcuffs, of course.

Was the front door open earlier as seen by the dog walker around 8:30-9 due to the compelling odor of death permeating the floors and walls? Was the large black jacket Maddie's seen wearing in the tiktok, she'd borrowed SAT, on the red hydrant at the street? Isn't KGs white GrubHub food container sitting atop the trash can on the patio lit with fairy lights? Why is Xana's DD food bag behind the kitchen sink and the small potted plant soil spilled onto the counter?

Best of my recollection and opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members