ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They could def be sleeping. Didn't even think of that. If it's true, this is even more tragic if that is possible. But why would they be bypassed by the killer(s)?
This may have been discussed already but I was thinking maybe two girls were home asleep with their bedroom doors locked? When I lived in shared houses the bedrooms often had locks since it was your only private place and the house itself may have hosted parties.

The 4 who were murdered may have been up hanging out in the kitchen or living area having a snack or something. I know when I was in college I'd hang out with my housemates watching TV after we all got home from nights out. Maybe they left the door unlocked when they got home and someone came in.

Just wow. Hard to really believe all of this. I hope they find someone soon.

Exactly!

It's not that LE doesn't know anything...as some assume. They are only answering a few questions and not disclosing many other pieces of info about the case they've amassed in the last few days.

LE always keeps things as close to the vest as possible...always. This happens in every case I've ever followed. LE will do whatever they need to in order to make sure they preserve the case for later prosecution. What they won't do is assuage the public's unending thirst to know every aspect of the crimes. They won't release any information that could tip off a suspect.

That may be of no comfort to case followers, but their job is to investigate thoroughly, follow all the leads, process all the forensics, and ultimately catch and arrest the person or persons responsible.

The problem is, they began the investigation by telling people that the crime was 'isolated' ie wasn't likely to happen again, based on evidence the victims had been 'targeted'.

In other words, they implied that they were confident they knew the 'motive' for the killing.

Now it turns out, they don't have a suspect.

How can you have a motive without a suspect?

Genuine question btw, not being rhetorical.

It makes me think that whoever the target was, was on the 3rd floor. Person came in through 2nd floor entrance and killed their way up. They encountered Ethan, hence why he was the only one described as being found "on the floor". This could also speak to the 911 call - if someone could see ethan on the floor through a window, and he wasn't waking up to their knocking, they would have just described a singular unconscious person. The other 2 roommates were already passed out in their downstairs rooms and never heard a thing. Just MOO and current theory. Those other 2 girls - I can't imagine the scene they woke up to. All IMO

Updated: 4:34 PM PST November 16, 2022

MOSCOW, Idaho — The Moscow Police Department (MPD) has been tight-lipped since the beginning of the homicide investigation into the four University of Idaho students but has now delivered major updates to the public in a press conference held earlier this evening
What police know:
  • Early in the evening, victims Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin were at a party on campus away from the crime scene. Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves were at a bar and came home at approximately 1:45 a.m.
  • Police who arrived on the scene were there for a wellness check. Instead, officers found the four victims and other people who were not hurt.
  • The victims had all been stabbed with a knife. Police do now know if they were attacked with the same weapon. An autopsy is taking place.
  • Officers say there was no sign of forced entry into the residence. When the police arrived, the door was still open.
  • Officers continue to reiterate that this was an isolated, targeted attack.
  • Officers say they have no suspect. They also can't say there's no threat to the community.
  • Officers say the roommates of the victims were in the home at the time of the attack and were not hurt. Police say they don't know why the other two roommates weren't harmed.
  • Officers did not divulge who the 911 caller is.
  • There was no attempt at a robbery.

What MPD does not know:
  • An accurate timeline of where the victims were before their deaths.
  • The location of the suspect or the weapon.
Thanks for the update. How strange that the 2 room mates were completely unharmed and presumably heard nothing, otherwise you think they would have gone to help their room mates and suffered injuries? Or they would have called 911 and definitely not called in a welfare check (if it was one of them that made that call)

They were all out partying Saturday night. Maddie and Kaylee at bar, Ethan and Xana at party. So let's assume there was some level of non-sobriety. The place looks like 2 stories, maybe the bottom has 2 br and the upstairs is where the other 2 were. Easy access to bottom, killer didn't want to take time or wasn't targeting the 2 upstairs.

There has to be surveillance videos nearby of the street I would hope . They should check what cars were driving around that time and if any seem suspicious . I’m assuming this guy did not leave on foot . It’s crazy to think the perpetrator just walked out the front door , since they said door was still left open . They had to have been covered in blood even if they changed clothes they would have it in hair etc . When they showed videos of the house and surroundings it seemed like they were pretty close to other houses which makes it even weirder . The fact that two roommates were left unharmed makes me think that it was someone who had only targeted them that night . Someone who didn’t know exactly how many roommates were there usually . My guess is someone saw these girls either at the bar or walking from the food truck and followed them to take advantage of some intoxicated girls . Maybe they had no clue that Ethan would be there and had to kill them as witnesses . I wish someone would have asked about the dog . I’m wondering if while one of the girls was letting the dogs out to the bathroom this is when they struck because it is odd that the sister mentioned that they took the dog out to the bathroom .. how would she know that ? Maybe someone was following saw them outside with dog waiting for dog to go and attacked that person gaining entry .

Updated: 4:34 PM PST November 16, 2022

MOSCOW, Idaho — The Moscow Police Department (MPD) has been tight-lipped since the beginning of the homicide investigation into the four University of Idaho students but has now delivered major updates to the public in a press conference held earlier this evening
What police know:
  • Early in the evening, victims Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin were at a party on campus away from the crime scene. Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves were at a bar and came home at approximately 1:45 a.m.
  • Police who arrived on the scene were there for a wellness check. Instead, officers found the four victims and other people who were not hurt.
  • The victims had all been stabbed with a knife. Police do now know if they were attacked with the same weapon. An autopsy is taking place.
  • Officers say there was no sign of forced entry into the residence. When the police arrived, the door was still open.
  • Officers continue to reiterate that this was an isolated, targeted attack.
  • Officers say they have no suspect. They also can't say there's no threat to the community.
  • Officers say the roommates of the victims were in the home at the time of the attack and were not hurt. Police say they don't know why the other two roommates weren't harmed.
  • Officers did not divulge who the 911 caller is.
  • There was no attempt at a robbery.

What MPD does not know:
  • An accurate timeline of where the victims were before their deaths.
  • The location of the suspect or the weapon.
Thanks for the update. How strange that the 2 room mates were completely unharmed and presumably heard nothing, otherwise you think they would have gone to help their room mates and suffered injuries? Or they would have called 911 and definitely not called in a welfare check (if it was one of them that made that call)

I once did a survey at work. Every officer stated they rather take a bullet than a knifing.

I’ve got a friend that was shot, on a traffic stop and survived. Years later, he had the misfortune of getting stabbed and cut, while he was attempting to apprehend a shoplifter. He told me he would take the bullet again, over getting stabbed and/or cut.

Knife wounds are nasty and often get infected. There is no telling where that knife has been.

I’m retired now, but I am fortunate to be able to say I was never shot or stabbed. Punched many times, but never shot or stabbed, fortunately.

They were all out partying Saturday night. Maddie and Kaylee at bar, Ethan and Xana at party. So let's assume there was some level of non-sobriety. The place looks like at least 2 stories, maybe the bottom has 2 bedrooms and the upstairs is where the other 2 roommates were. Easy access to bottom, killer didn't want to take time or wasn't targeting the 2 upstairs.

I wonder if the fraternity/sorority factor could play a bigger part in this crime. Possibly someone was kicked out or they were planning on kicking someone out. People take these groups very seriously and there’s a lot of pressure to be a part of “The Gang”. Or maybe something in the initiation process. Maybe something went too far along the way and triggered someone?

It makes me think that whoever the target was, was on the 3rd floor. Person came in through 2nd floor entrance and killed their way up. They encountered Ethan, hence why he was the only one described as being found "on the floor". This could also speak to the 911 call - if someone could see ethan on the floor through a window, and he wasn't waking up to their knocking, they would have just described a singular unconscious person. The other 2 roommates were already passed out in their downstairs rooms and never heard a thing. Just MOO and current theory. Those other 2 girls - I can't imagine the scene they woke up to. All IMO

Ah, yes. If the entrance floor is actually the second floor, that could explain why the two bedrooms downstairs might not hear any noise. In that case, it suggests the male and his gf were attacked first then the perp went upstairs to the bedroom of the other two murdered women on the third floor.

Sounds like one bathroom on each floor, and someone downstairs could be using their room and the first floor bathroom without going upstairs for a while.

This may have been discussed already but I was thinking maybe two girls were home asleep with their bedroom doors locked? When I lived in shared houses the bedrooms often had locks since it was your only private place and the house itself may have hosted parties.

The 4 who were murdered may have been up hanging out in the kitchen or living area having a snack or something. I know when I was in college I'd hang out with my housemates watching TV after we all got home from nights out. Maybe they left the door unlocked when they got home and someone came in.

Just wow. Hard to really believe all of this. I hope they find someone soon.
It truly is hard to believe. It has shades of Bundy in Tallahassee.

These are the cases that shake me to my core. When you're in college, especially about to graduate as some of these victims were, this crime is the very last thing you are thinking about.

I remember some roommates having their own personal locks on their bedrooms, too. But you never know how vigilant people are, especially in these "it doesn't happen here" towns.

LE said "a door" to the house was open: Idaho Police: No suspect, no weapon in killing of 4 students
Sure wish that was more specific. The only door I've heard of besides that is the front door with the security keypad we don't even know was active.

So many horrible possibilities here.

Btw, I've been away from the site for a while but was pleased to see you and see that you're still sharing your wisdom! Hope you're well!

Ah, yes. If the entrance floor is actually the second floor, that could explain why the two bedrooms downstairs might not hear any noise. In that case, it suggests the male and his gf were attacked first then the perp went upstairs to the bedroom of the other two murdered women on the third floor.

Sounds like one bathroom on each floor, and someone downstairs could be using their room and the first floor bathroom without going upstairs for a while.
The house is built into a hillside. The lower level is ground level at the street. The middle floor is level with the ground in the back and has a cement patio off the kitchen sliding door. The top level has a wood deck that sits above the middle level cement patio.

I think it's fair to think that the two room mates were genuinely asleep. Some leave music playing while sleeping. It seems many even sleep with headphones on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapeCodTodd