ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide - Moscow #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first time poster because I'm so drawn with this murder.

<modsnip>

A vicious, calculated crime like this is one of several things:
1. Drugs
2. Revenge
3. Robbery

Common sense - this is not a serial killer waiting in the lurks to destroy his victims. Maybe in the movies, not in real life.

Then the question becomes, would 1 individual be the target and the remaining 3 be collateral? Think about this and the answer is no. Again, this isn't a movie.

Do we know if any of the victims were tied up or restrained? Do we know if any of the victims were simply asleep in their beds?

I'm sorry to speculate, but I've been reading and re-reading articles and posts and can't help but think it is drug related. Once the police obtain the cell phone messages of each victim the story will be told.

I literally couldn't sleep last night thinking about these poor kids. It's awful. I pray to God their suspect(s) are caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the victims being targeted, I think “targeted” can mean a number of things, some of which introduce more risk to the community than others.

For example, someone might target an individual person like an ex or a supervisor or a celebrity or public figure. Someone might target a couple people or a small group such as an ex and their new partner or their spouse and their kids or their classmates. Someone might target all those they’ve ever felt slighted by or hold grudges against (can be few or many). Someone might target what they perceive to be certain types or classes of people like “Staceys and Chads” or “sorority girls” (Elliot Rodgers type). Of course violent crimes against people of specific races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations and gender identities are sometimes targeted. The broader these categories get, the less comfortable I’d feel with the assertion that the community at large is not as risk.

Unless police believe it was targeted in a very narrow way, such as a disgruntled ex targeting an individual or a couple, I would feel very fearful in that community. And even if narrowly targeted, it’s scary enough to know someone capable of that degree of violence may be within the community.

Great post. Thank you.

Keyword = bedding. Generally, people are in bed sleeping at 3 AM.

DNA samples, including from the clothing, and bedding, still need to be tested at a forensics lab.

Not to be argumentative or graphic but we would expect people to be sleeping at 3 am but having the bedding at the lab does not imply that necessarily to me. They could be interested in the bedding for sexual assault reasons only.

Agreed, one/ some of the victims could have just been in their bedrooms awake, potentially could have even been attempting to run from whoever did this and ran into bedroom

I would disagree that generally people are in bed sleeping at 3am, especially college students on a Saturday night. If any of the victims were in their room when attacked, there could be blood that got on the bedding & it's being tested to see if there is anything unknown there (i.e., not the victim's blood or dna). Bedding doesn't mean someone was asleep. Or even in bed at all. If a victim was up, perhaps there was a struggle or they fell & hit the bed on their way down. The perp could have lost balance & reached out to right themselves by touching the bed. Etc. I can see lots of scenarios where a victim was not in bed but the bedding needs to be tested.

The article did not state that any of them were asleep, nor have the reports that have come out today indicated that.

MOO.

On a separate note, someone mentioned that perhaps the dog was crated. I think that's a good suggestion & I hadn't thought of that possibility. MOO.

It appears Murphy is alive and well.

If the other roommates were asleep as all this was taking place and didn't awaken by Murphy barking then he possibly didn't bark - maybe he knows the perp/perps or he was given treats.

Either way what actual difference does this make? He can't testify to anything. He's probably been forensically examined for DNA, blood etc. already.

What can be further gleaned from knowing if he barked or not that night? I'm at a loss.
not barking implies the killer was not a stranger but you would need to know the dog's usual reactions. a puppy might be scared; not territorial.

Interesting... Perhaps they were not asleep when they were attacked...

Sarah Robinson
@sarahrobinsontv

"She was a tough kid." An Avondale father reacting to hearing his daughter Xana Kernodle, killed in the #UniversityofIdaho stabbing, fought her killer until the very end. He says her autopsy showed she had multiple defensive wounds.
@azfamily
https://bit.ly/3Elkc8P

Sarah Robinson
@sarahrobinsontv

"She was a tough kid." An Avondale father reacting to hearing his daughter Xana Kernodle, killed in the #UniversityofIdaho stabbing, fought her killer until the very end. He says her autopsy showed she had multiple defensive wounds.
@azfamily
My heart just literally sank. I feel sick. That poor poor girl. To think of what Xana spent her final moments doing, my goodness this is too much.

Last edited:
My heart just literally sank. I feel sick. That poor poor girl. To think of what she spent her final moments doing, my goodness this is too much.
I think this occurred when the sp or sp's were spotted. JMO

The murders rocked the small town of Moscow, Idaho, which hasn’t had a murder since 2015, according to state records. “I have no idea. It doesn’t make sense,” said Kernodle. He says Xana was in constant communication with her family and nothing about that night seemed unusual. “The door locks with a number code. Every time you go, you have to go around the house because of the number code so they either knew that or went around and maybe found the slider door open,” he said.

Kernodle says there’s one thing the autopsy shows for certain. Xana, a strong-willed woman, fought her killer to the very end. “Bruises, torn by the knife. She’s a tough kid. Whatever she wanted to do, she could do it,” Kernodle said.

Hi, first time poster because I'm so drawn with this murder.

<modsnip>

A vicious, calculated crime like this is one of several things:
1. Drugs
2. Revenge
3. Robbery

Common sense - this is not a serial killer waiting in the lurks to destroy his victims. Maybe in the movies, not in real life.

Then the question becomes, would 1 individual be the target and the remaining 3 be collateral? Think about this and the answer is no. Again, this isn't a movie.

Do we know if any of the victims were tied up or restrained? Do we know if any of the victims were simply asleep in their beds?

I'm sorry to speculate, but I've been reading and re-reading articles and posts and can't help but think it is drug related. Once the police obtain the cell phone messages of each victim the story will be told.

I literally couldn't sleep last night thinking about these poor kids. It's awful. I pray to God their suspect(s) are caught.
if your robbery MO is to enter an occupied house, mutilate four people and leave with no items, you are going to starve and need a new profession, IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m thinking whoever did this was likely watching the girls as they returned home that evening. He would see the 2 girls come home and knew where their rooms were and then waited until lights went out. Once the lights went out I believe he went to 3rd floor first. Once done there, possibly went to leave and then realized that Ethan and Xana were there/interrupted by them. Now because they have seen him, possibly recognize him, they must also be killed. It doesn’t really make sense to me that he would kill E & X first unless he just planned on a murder spree, because had he been surprised to find them home, he could have easily just fled and scrapped the whole plan. I really wonder what time E & X arrived home. I wonder if they were already home and in bed and woke up from commotion or if they potentially arrived home while things were already in progress?

1. It’s someone who was familiar with them or stalked them.
2. It was only one person
3. College age male
4. Only one person

My opinions only.

Interesting to hear that they see no indication of a sexual assault . So what was the motive ? Just a thrill kill ? Or someone angry ? If it was a creepy stalker you would think there would have been indications of sexual assault . Somehow even creepier there wasn’t because it seems like they just murdered them to murder them at this point .

The fact that the murder weapon was a large Rambo style knife leads me to believe this was not someone like a boyfriend or party goer who was just hanging out. Who carries that around? This was absolutely premeditated and I can see why they would say targeted. Someone entered that house with a large blade for a reason. Moo

Did the Sheriff say regarding the unharmed roommates 'We're not just focusing on them, we're focusing on everyone." ? I heard that on NBC News tonight. His words directly. That stuck out to me. Focusing on 'them', the roommates.

Did the Sheriff say regarding the unharmed roommates 'We're not just focusing on them, we're focusing on everyone." ? I heard that on NBC News tonight. His words directly. That stuck out to me. Focusing on 'them', the roommates.
This is from the Press Conference that @Allabouttrial transcribed for us yesterday.

Reporter - So, there were other roommates who lived at that residence. Were the roommates home at the time of the attack?

Chief - There was other people home at that time, but we're not just focusing just on them, were focusing on everybody that may be coming and going from that residence.

Sarah Robinson
@sarahrobinsontv

@azfamily

X and E supposedly went to a party; we do not even know if they had any alcohol; people are assuming they did, but we do not know about their friends/habits IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper