ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide - Moscow #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first time poster because I'm so drawn with this murder.

<modsnip>

A vicious, calculated crime like this is one of several things:
1. Drugs
2. Revenge
3. Robbery

Common sense - this is not a serial killer waiting in the lurks to destroy his victims. Maybe in the movies, not in real life.

Then the question becomes, would 1 individual be the target and the remaining 3 be collateral? Think about this and the answer is no. Again, this isn't a movie.

Do we know if any of the victims were tied up or restrained? Do we know if any of the victims were simply asleep in their beds?

I'm sorry to speculate, but I've been reading and re-reading articles and posts and can't help but think it is drug related. Once the police obtain the cell phone messages of each victim the story will be told.

I literally couldn't sleep last night thinking about these poor kids. It's awful. I pray to God their suspect(s) are caught.
MOO #1 isn’t plausible unless you mean the killer was under the influence. There are no indicators to me that they consumed or sold drugs. They all looked healthy and their social media presence prior wasn’t erratic.

Edited - I think speculating it’s drug related will skew the way a lot of people would view this incident.

Last edited:
The neighbor said it sounded like a party - I wonder if the two survivors had people over while the others were out. That would surely complicate things even further with the amount of dna that would be there from so many different people. It’s going to be a long process to rule out everyone.
The way young people in college are social, the suspect list must be enormous. Imo.

What a painful way to die. They bled out :(
Maybe not. If a major artery like the carotids or the aorta or even the heart itself was pierced by a large bladed weapon the very quick massive loss of blood would lead to rapid unconsciousness which would mean the victim would not feel any pain or the cardiac arrest.

I sort of think something more like a Bowie knife as opposed to a Kabar (or even a big butcher knife) would be more probable in this case due to the description of the carnage. I originally said sword but now I'm thinking large combat knife like a Bowie. When I was in college the self defense weapon I had instead of a gun was a 14" Cold Steel Bowie with a coffin shaped handle. It's a young man thing these combat blades. Very common.

This is from the Press Conference that @Allabouttrial transcribed for us yesterday.

Reporter - So, there were other roommates who lived at that residence. Were the roommates home at the time of the attack?

Chief - There was other people home at that time, but we're not just focusing just on them, were focusing on everybody that may be coming and going from that residence.
Thanks. That's what I thought he said and it sticks out for me. <modsnip> The dog might be the key, but dogs are unreliable witnesses. I believe that the unharmed roomies could have slept through the massacre. <modsnip: not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
if your robbery MO is to enter an occupied house, mutilate four people and leave with no items, you are going to starve and need a new profession, IMO
Which is why I don't believe it's a robbery. I listed the 3 reasons why a murder like this could occur. Robbery being the least likely.

I’m thinking whoever did this was likely watching the girls as they returned home that evening. He would see the 2 girls come home and knew where their rooms were and then waited until lights went out. Once the lights went out I believe he went to 3rd floor first. Once done there, possibly went to leave and then realized that Ethan and Xana were there/interrupted by them. Now because they have seen him, possibly recognize him, they must also be killed. It doesn’t really make sense to me that he would kill E & X first unless he just planned on a murder spree, because had he been surprised to find them home, he could have easily just fled and scrapped the whole plan. I really wonder what time E & X arrived home. I wonder if they were already home and in bed and woke up from commotion or if they potentially arrived home while things were already in progress?

1. It’s someone who was familiar with them or stalked them.
2. It was only one person
3. College age male
4. Only one person

My opinions only.
You could be right, however I think we have to remember this person would be jacked up on adrenalin (or worse) to be embarking on this, so my guess is they encountered Ethan and Xana first then went upstairs to complete (what I suspect was) the targeted attack. If you consider the opposite scenario - that he killed Maddie and Kaylee first - intuitively the adrenalin is starting to wane, the panic is setting in and the motivation would be to leave as quickly as possible. Job done, don't want to get caught.

There is a ladder leaning against the house, but we don't know whether it belongs to the property or the investigators. Here's a view of the back of the house showing the 3rd floor balcony. There are no stairs leading to the balcony.

View attachment 380530

DailyMail

Does it look like there is a ledge outside the railing on the back porch? One that someone might jump from after leaving one of the 3rd floor bedrooms? (Thus not leaving blood trail out the front door or sliding door)

717pdj.jpg

Also, can someone with Photoshop skills look at what appears to be some colored material on that ledge? Thank you!

Moo

Police said there are no signs of forced entry, which could indicate the victims knew the suspect, Morgan suggestedCredit: AP
“I think it goes without saying that this is very up close and personal,” Morgan exclusively told The U.S. Sun.

“One word that I might use to describe this is very intimate.”

Kernodle says there’s one thing the autopsy shows for certain. Xana, a strong-willed woman, fought her killer to the very end. “Bruises, torn by the knife. She’s a tough kid. Whatever she wanted to do, she could do it,” Kernodle said.
I must have missed something. Could you please remind me who Kernodle is? Thanks.

Maybe not. If a major artery like the carotids or the aorta or even the heart itself was pierced by a large bladed weapon the very quick massive loss of blood would lead to rapid unconsciousness which would mean the victim would not feel any pain or the cardiac arrest.

I sort of think something more like a Bowie knife as opposed to a Kabar (or even a big butcher knife) would be more probable in this case due to the description of the carnage. I originally said sword but now I'm thinking large combat knife like a Bowie. When I was in college the self defense weapon I had instead of a gun was a 14" Cold Steel Bowie with a coffin shaped handle. It's a young man thing these combat blades. Very common.
My dear friend was stabbed to death. He ran into the hall of his apartment building, knocking on doors and begging for help. His blood was found on the CEILING of the apartment hall. It's not a silent death. They know what is happening and can beg for help.

The fact that the murder weapon was a large Rambo style knife leads me to believe this was not someone like a boyfriend or party goer who was just hanging out. Who carries that around? This was absolutely premeditated and I can see why they would say targeted. Someone entered that house with a large blade for a reason. Moo
Yeah, imo that’s a weird knife to just carry around through your normal daily life. A daily carry would more like a folding pocket knife style. Or maybe a small fixed blade. But a standard USMC Kabar is 11.87 inches long with a 7” blade.

And here is Idaho’s knife law: “
According to Idaho Knife Law, the regulation restricts carrying knives and blades whose length is more than 4”. According to Code 1833-02 (2), you can only carry legal knives by concealing but sharp and illegal knives of Idaho are not allowed to carry without permission by hiding. You cannot conceal a Dagger, Dirk or a Bowie without a permit from the local Sheriff’s Officer of your state.
  • It is illegal to carry any knife open or concealed with a blade larger than 2.5” to any public places or government buildings.
  • It is illegal to conceal a knife whose length is longer than 4”.
  • Without the permission of the peace office, you cannot carry a knife or blade in a vehicle.
  • You cannot carry knives when you are drunk.

Exception of Carrying Knife​

According to Idaho Code 18-3302 (3), you carry a knife more than 4” if you have a license of your professions like a police officer, chef, army, hunter, fisherman, or a butcher.

According to Idaho Code 1883-02, you cannot carry deadly weapons and dangerous blades which can harm people in public places. You have to take the permission of a peace officer of the state for carrying any kind of knives. Some illegal knives in Idaho are:

1. Dirk – The size of a dirk knife or dagger is larger than 7-14”. So, you cannot use dirk or dagger in Idaho because you cannot use the knife length larger than 4”. Therefore, dirk is illegal in Idaho.

KNIFE LENGTH LIMIT​

It is legal to carry knives of any length openly in the state of Idaho. One can conceal and carry a maximum blade length of 4“, but when in school compound, the maximum length is 2.5”. According to Idaho Const. Art. I, § 11, a person may carry concealed knife with a blade that is less than four inches. This includes knives such as Bowie, dirk knife, dagger and dirk. A person who intends to carry a dagger, a knife and a Bowie with a larger blade must seek for or be in possession of a license that allows him to carry concealed weapons.

CONCEALED CARRY​

The law restricts carrying concealed knives or any other blade. It forbids carrying of dirks, bowie knives, and daggers, single and double edged blades, and knives with blades that are more than 4 inches. Instruments needed to prepare or which can be used to eat food such as cleaver and pocket knife are exempted from this rule and can be concealed and carried.

It has also been confirmed two roommates, BF and DM, were upstairs at the time of the murders, although cops have said neither is under investigation and the surviving friends have been cooperating with the investigation.

Thanks. That's what I thought he said and it sticks out for me. Was this an inside job? The dog might be the key, but dogs are unreliable witnesses. I believe that the unharmed roomies could have slept through the massacre. But it seems improbable. This seems inside to me.
It sticks out to me as well. How he worded it makes it seems like it was worded that way for a reason. I'm probably over reaching, but that's how it goes on these threads in the early stages. ;)

Why is there no blood reported or seen on the exterior of the house, doorknobs, sliding doors etc.. surely with this being such a bloody crime scene there would be shoe prints, smear marks, finger prints.. odd that the only "blood" noted is that picture of those drip marks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro