ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point with the gloves and touch DNA.
I wonder what criteria LE would use to choose which pieces of trash to test. Was the trash bagged or loose in the can? Multiple persons contributing samples making it more complicated to get a pure sample match with BK. (I may be seeing intentional complications by this suspect when there really aren't any.)
moo

I am assuming that only 3 people lived in the house. Packaging from food would have at least one profile on it. I was kidding about the paper towels and kleenex. Recycling bins, if they have them, would have opened mail. Really, all they needed was one parent's DNA. That would have given them a 50% match, because BCK had to have gotten half his genes from his mom.

However, it should not be too difficult to get items touched by father, as well. Disposable razor. Beverage cans or bottles (from either parent). They had dogs, someone opened the dog food and fed them. Almost everything in the trash would have someone's DNA on it - and again, they only need one parent's DNA (just like a paternity test) to know that the man (or woman) living in that house is BCK's parent. They had their man at that point.

We are all just expressing our opinions and theories on this case, as far as terms of use allow. Some are more reasonable and probable than others. We only have to quote experts when we are presenting things as fact, other than that everything here is IMO, IMHO, JMO etc. We shouldn't, IMO (lol) have to ask someone to justify their opinion IMO! LOL

Of course and I wasn't asking anyone to justify their opinion. I was asking what they're basing their opinion on. Nothing wrong with asking that, imo.

2500 miles is a long drive. Dad may have flown to BK so that they could share the drive. Was this the norm in other years? Was it a ruse to get the car out of the area?

This is the most sensible explanation. I think the heat was turned up and he needed a reason that appeared legit to get that vehicle out of dodge. I would love to know what the plan was when it was time to return home. Drive back? Trade the vehicle in? Get it detailed there? Do a thorough cleaning there so that it wasn't suspicious?
Perhaps his dad wanted the car returned.

That Daily Mail article about him stalking the 4 roommates doesn't ring true to me. He had just moved to Pullman. The 2 survivors had just moved into 1122 King in August if I remember correctly. Why stalk those 4 when there are 6? He didn't exactly know any of them well. JMO

I don't think he knew any of them well. And I think he "stalked" a lot more than just those 4. He knew them by sight, may have gone inside the house, but certainly had been in the neighborhood. I believe it's possible he is the source of some of the rumors about this case on other forums, as well. IMO.

I agree (then again, there are those 15 min.).

I'm not trying to be funny, but I was scrolling down the article and his face pops up. He's smiling but it's all teeth. I call that a wolf grin. The smile doesn't reflect in the eyes. He would definitely throw up some warning signals to me. Even if I only thought he was extremely strung out. The picture is a bit startling. He's innocent until proven otherwise, but I'm feeling confident in their arrest of this guy. I think the FBI sped up the DNA process too. I've never seen DNA come back so quickly and in such a new area of matching.
Reptilian eyes. Narcissist smile, forced, fake, not reflected in the eyes.

It's not a matter of being an *innocent* gesture by the father. I was talking about the DYNAMICS here seem to point BK *calling the shots*. MOO...so not based on any facts.
Like I said....MOO. I just don't see the father doing this without BK urging him to do so. To avoid be called out for *bickering*, I'm going to let this subject go.
I don't know if that is be the case. I had somewhat overprotective parents and sometimes I would rather not have had their help, even though it was well meaning and probably in my best interests. So just maybe, Dad made the decision.
Also the college I attended, campus housing would not allow you to leave a vehicle in the lot for 30 days without moving it.
He chose to attend school far away from the family home - that may mean he wanted to distance. But it really doesn't matter anyway. If he's guilty - he is the one that destroyed many lives. That part would be plain and simple.

If I had to guess… (IMO/MOO)

BK asked/insisted his father accompany him on the drive home by suggesting something along the lines of “the car’s acting funny, I need a new one, etc.” Remember, his father is in “maintenance” (per MSM) so possibly mechanically handy as well- if BK was ready to ditch the Hyundai, he could probably get more support from his folks by “demonstrating” something was wrong with it on a long, long cross-country drive.

What boggles my mind is how he was (presumably) able to act normal on that drive. IMO he’s cold-hearted enough to accept that IF/WHEN he is caught (I think he was feeling heat after the Elantra announcement,) he will have completely devastated his family. Sounds like money is somewhat tight- he had to know he’d require a lawyer at some point & there’s no way his family could afford a good one without putting themselves in serious financial jeopardy. Even if he thinks he can represent himself, he has to have studied enough cases to realize how poorly that generally turns out- a “good” attorney can likely be reasoned with to represent him to HIS OWN satisfaction. But those lawyers cost $$$, and it doesn’t seem like he was rolling in money at any time… (OTOH, he may allow a string of PD’s in order to claim “ineffective representation” and drag this out indefinitely, esp. if death penalty remains on the table…) He had to realize the publicity alone would be horrendous for them, even if finances were not an issue. Assuming they knew nothing (I personally believe at least his mother knew *of* the case if her public letters regarding Uvalde, abortions, etc. are true- she kinda/sorta follows the news) they will probably be wracked with the guilt of “should we have known/what could we have done”, etc.

MOO, his father may have jumped at the chance to spend that quality time on the road trip when BK suggested the car needed to be repaired/replaced. BK had to know that time together would be extremely uncomfortable (even if his Dad never heard about the crimes), but he was willing to “pay that price” in order to:
A) Get the vehicle out of the area (also probably realized it would be scrutinized/searched if left unattended for however many weeks over the break.)
B) Look less suspicious with another person in the vehicle if recognized.
C) Potentially use father’s CC to eliminate paper trail in case he was being tailed.
D) Have a quasi-alibi if questioned about leaving the area (“I wasn’t fleeing, I needed my Dad to help diagnose my crummy car and get it renewed in PA” or some such excuse.)
E) Confirm he’d done an adequate clean-up job (another set of eyes to point out dirty spots?)

TL,DR: I suspect once the Elantra details were released, he started to feel the heat & realize he was sloppy with his use of his vehicle. He needed it out of the area via a legit explanation- and bonus if he could replace it before returning to WSU. His poor family- I truly DO NOT believe they suspected him whatsoever. If it wasn’t for the Elantra tip-off, I think LE would still be digging (his DNA would likely get him eventually but the car flagged him, IMO.)

All JMO/MOO/speculation about that drive and getting his father involved.
Agree, and would add that he may have enjoyed access to his father's phone.

If my thinking is correct, he would NOT return with that Elantra… As smart as he thinks he is, I don’t see any way of avoiding the scrutiny- I think he was planning on getting a new car in PA. At the very least he could get his family to help sell it, then buy a replacement later. The vehicle description was the beginning of the end, IMO.
I think so too. Maybe he hadn’t really thought much past driving it out of the area to PA. Just get it out. Maybe he told his dad it was acting funny & that’s why his dad flew out to drive with him and why he took it to the mechanic once in PA. Maybe he would continue to act concerned while there about the car and convince his dad he needed to sell it and get a different car to take back.

“MOSCOW, Idaho — About two weeks before four University of Idaho students were found stabbed to death in a home near campus, Bryan Kohberger was sitting in a criminology class at a college just a short drive away, leaning into a conversation about forensics, D.N.A. and other evidence prosecutors use to win convictions.

The 28-year-old graduate student seemed highly engaged in the discussion, a former classmate recalled. It was a subject that had long captivated Mr. Kohberger, who had researched the mind-sets of criminals, studied under a professor in Pennsylvania known for her expertise on serial killers and, for the last few months, pursued a Ph.D. in criminology at Washington State University, about 10 miles from the Idaho crime scene.

Less than two months later, Mr. Kohberger would be the subject of a criminal inquiry, arrested on Friday and charged with the murder of the four Idaho students.

Investigators have yet to outline a motive, but the details emerging about Mr. Kohberger’s deep interest in the psychology of criminals has opened another layer of mystery in a case that has traumatized the college town of Moscow, Idaho, and spawned countless theories from people around the country who followed the case in captivated horror.”

Yeah, I don't get why he didn't just commit this crime on his own campus where he could have fled on foot. That is, if he was killing just for the sake of killing.

This makes me think he was, in fact, stalking either the house or one (or more) of the victims. I keep thinking why that house, why those kids? I cannot make the connection. Maybe it's some sort of 6 degrees of separation type of thing.

Pretty sure some of my questions will be answered as soon as the court records are unsealed.
It appears from news reports his cell phone pinged at some of the very same locations as the victim's. It alleges he was stalking all of them at one point or another.

Interesting facts from the NYT article: Idaho Murder Suspect Had Been a Student of the Criminal Mind

He bullied people in high school:

“Over time it just got so, so bad that I just shut down when I was around him,” said Mr. Arntz, now 26. “I eventually just had to cut ties with him.”

“Mr. Kohberger had struggled with a heroin addiction beginning in high school but had seemed to have moved past it in recent years, friends from Pennsylvania said.”

Angenette interviewed LaBar

Tweet thread here

From your link:

Angenette Levy

@Angenette5
·
18m

LaBar said BK's father flew out to WA to drive back with to PA with him for Christmas break. However, LaBar said that was planned before BK went to WA for fall semester that dad would fly out and drive back with BK. Believes this happened between Dec. 13-16
@LawCrimeNetwork

So…I was definitely off the mark on this one!

Considering they were driving across the country in the winter, it makes sense that a concerned parent would fly to assist in the driving to get his kid home. I would have done the same.
December 13 - 16, 2022: Long Duration Winter Storm
Yeah, it may be unusual but it’s really not a stretch IMO. I can see myself having done that for my son back in the day just to have that time with him. Even more so if the father thought he was troubled. Heck, for all we know, the father could have been extremely anxious about his son’s proximity to the murders even if he couldn’t really put his finger on why he felt way. For now, I think the suspect prob had a very real history of emotional/psychological/mental issues and that alone could make most any parent hyper alert and sort of ‘on call’ even into adulthood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa D.