ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He attended class right after the killings. If he had scratch marks, his class mates would have noticed and leaked it to the media.

They wouldn't necessarily have to be on his face, they could be on his arms or body that is covered by clothing if they even exist. Defensive wounds on a victim does not mean they injured their attacker.

“LaBar told Law&Crime’s Angenette Levythat Kohberger spoke with law enforcement for five to 15 minutes at the Pennsylvania State Police barracks following his arrest early last Friday morning.

Initially, Kohberger waived his Miranda rights but then requested an attorney. LaBar said Kohberger told him that police asked his client if he understood what was going on, and he responded by saying something to the effect of “yes, certainly I’m aware of what’s going on. I’m 10 miles away from this.” Then, LaBar said, Kohberger invoked his right to counsel and asked for an attorney.”

It occurred to me when I read this that Kohberger's alleged statement "I'm 10 miles away from this" is quite precise. I just searched for his actual apartment address (couldn't locate it) to plug into Google Maps with the murder location to know the actual distance. I discovered a FOX News article stating "The Idaho school is less than 10 miles from Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, where Kohberger is listed as PhD student." (Idaho murders: Police serve search warrant at Bryan Christopher Kohberger's home in Pullman, WA).

Now I'm really curious as to the exact distance between his apartment and the murder scene, because of his alleged statement; it's curious to me that he named an actual distance. I mean, "I live close to this" would have sufficed.

MOD NOTE:

It's going to be hard for the prosecutor. He has no scratches on his face which would be normal during a fight.
No case is ever a slam dunk, but LE have stated they have his DNA at the scene, and I would say that trumps no scratch on the face, seven weeks out, as far as important evidence. And I do not believe this case will exactly be a piece of cake for the defense. JMO

He attended class right after the killings. If he had scratch marks, his class mates would have noticed and leaked it to the media.
One of his classmates mentioned he stopped shaving at that point. Maybe he had a few days between the murders and the next time he had to show up in class and the beard stubble hid the scratches?

I wonder how BK was affected by the rapid change from entirely online Masters degree, done during COVID in (presumably) his parent's house, to an in-person program on the opposite side of the country. Probably made the things he was learning feel a lot more real.

Ancestry claims that police did not make their intentions clear in that early request.

They successfully contested each and every subsequent request and no longer allow law enforcement access to their database. Which is consistent with everything that we've heard.

GEDMatch continues to be cited by most familial DNA work.
BBMFF

Ut oh, if this is true, I hope this does not become a problem during trial. Anyone in the legal field care to chirp in here?

Not how it works. Only convicted persons are in Codis and the dna test is much simpler than what they use for familial dna tests. It would be great if they updated their system. To reverse engineer - you have to use public records, social media, maps, and math. Simple in theory, but time consuming.
Not true. Some states obtain DNA when they arrest individuals for certain crimes, e.g., felonies.

Last edited:
I wonder how BK was affected by the rapid change from entirely online Masters degree, done during COVID in (presumably) his parent's house, to an in-person program on the opposite side of the country. Probably made the things he was learning feel a lot more real.
I wondered about this as well. I wasn’t sure if he did the online masters (I understand his professor designed the program), but that would explain why we get so little from his peers in grad school at Desales. I don’t think we’ve had much information from people who regularly interacted with him in those last two years. Edited to note: even the associate professor comments on his writing but not on interaction.

You mention Ancestry, but there are others who work with them if provided the right paperwork. Good point about GEDMatch. FBI practically owns that data.

GedMatch in 2019
This week, GEDmatch, a genetic genealogy company that gained notoriety for giving law enforcement access to its customers’ DNA data, quietly informed its users it is now operated by Verogen, Inc., a company expressly formed two years ago to market “next-generation [DNA] sequencing” technology to crime labs.

vs GEDMatch Dec 2021
GedMatch is now owned by Verogen

We don't know who submitted what to whom at this point but, it seems they obtained his DNA, then took to one of these routes. I don't submit mine anywhere.

I submit no dna to any company and have enjoyed working on genealogy for many years without doing so. I don't really get it as anything but a shortcut, and putting yourself out there to make actual contact with God knows who. EG: Oh, my long-lost cousin, BK, contacted me, and is a match on my genealogy profile. He wants to come to visit! Nooo, thanks. Actually happened to a friend, but thankfully this person was not a serial killer, just a bit weird.
YIIKes, I never considered the long lost weirdo cousin showing up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member