ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time listener, first time caller...

My first post will be in regards to the frustration with information being shared and the capabilities of LE, along with my thoughts on the sophistication of the killer.

1. LE is only obligated to share what they know that could impact public safety. A lack of details being shared doesn't necessarily point to incompetence (doesn't exclude it either), but it's much more important for them to understand the details to solve the case than to provide them publicly for us to solve the case. It's frustrating for all of us, but I don't necessarily fault them for where things are at. Also, I do agree that there is room for frustration with them dismissing this as a one of event with no additional threat to the public.

2. Those who want to fault the local LE for being incompetent are ignoring the fact that the FBI was pulled into this early to partner with LE. To me, that signals that the locals recognized that this is more than they could handle in a desired timeframe. Makes me think that this is more complex and/or that the evidence is very difficult to sift through than most.

3. I'm in the fence about whether the killer was impulsive or was working with a well laid out plan. I think about the kidnapping of Jayme Kloss, for example. The guy who killed her parents and kidnapped her was not sophisticated and seemed impulsive to me, but they likely would have never caught him if she hadn't escape. He was way different than I'd pictured in my mind, and before heading the details of the crime I would have thought he'd plotted out every detail and planned for that exact moment. It doesn't mean that this event was not fully planned out, but I don't think you can assume it was.

Stop! "Always travel in pairs and be vigilant". That is a great way to be safe.

Right, the victims were in a house with six people and a dog!
Right? He didn't say, "make sure your doors are locked and shades down" or "be careful what you post on social media as to your location". Interesting.

Of every statement made, I found this most interesting. I am torn as to whether this is meaningful or just an odd phrasing.
It sounds like a riddle but I highly doubt there was intent.

Things you might NOT see that would matter: someone not in a group photo where you'd expect them, someone who had been at an event and then was unexpectedly absent, something that was missing from the house, something that is missing from a secondary location.

Odd.
That statement struck me as meaningful.

New things I heard:

- Kaylee’s ex is not suspected

- They did look at the possibility of murder-suicide at one time; they are not looking at that possibility right now

Thing I’m surprised nobody asked:

- Anything related to DNA analysis and timeframe for same

Things I found most frustrating:

- Refusal to define “targeted” as meaning an individual or individuals, the home of the individuals, or a broader category some/all victims fell under

- Advice to avoid being targeted by pairing up. While it’s good advice in general, there has been no evidence so far to suggest any of the victims did not take this precaution.

What should students do to prevent being targeted in the future.

Capt. Lanier -Great question-
Travel in pairs, tell someone where you are going, stay with a friend.
Advice not given: additional door locks, etc.
I would think that there would be quite a lot of emphasis on hardening targets with common sense measures if they didn't believe this was individually targeted.

At this point, LE may have done the kid a favor and named him out loud with the words "not a suspect". JMO
Right?? I've been thinking this, too. All of the "obvious potential suspects" have most likely received an unbelievable amount of personal harassment as a result of police not explicitly clearing them.

I learned today, that not only was the killer sloppy, but the Moscow PD was sloppy as well. The local PD have done more to hinder this investigation than help it. Wonder why the killer is not caught? The PD let him get a free pass. Moscow PD had no business investigating this crime. They should have immediately secured the scene then contacted ISP. They did not have the resources, nor did they have the knowledge/experience to investigate this case. Maybe the killer committed this crime without fear because he knew the local PD was incompetent to solve it. 10 days and no suspect? Something doesn't track with this story. Also, the Latah County Coroner had no business going on the TV circuit telling the whole world all the evidence the police found. This slip up has given the killer plenty of time to dispose of the evidence. To think the coroner is also a lawyer, wonder what law school conferred that degree?
I have yet to hear the LE, on this case, characterize the killer as sloppy. If I missed that, I'm sorry, but the reference I heard was. "left a mess of evidence..." Evidence could be a lot of things and not, necessarily that which positively IDs the killer.

As to your criticisms of the Moscow PD, I have no way of ascertaining their competence, or when they contacted other agencies for assistance, or the state of their resources. If you have the pertinent information, please link it.

This. Also, they may think one of the "cleared" individuals is the killer.

They say they're cleared, all the while they're building the case and keeping the suspect from lawyering up.

This allows them to talk to the suspect, who speaks (thinking they're smart) thus hanging themselves one way or another.
I don’t believed that to be the case. That would be reckless If they suspect someone is a killer and they assured the public that it’s safe to be around this individual we think committed 4 murders with a knife. The reason they kept doing press conferences is to calm the public. This crime is very scary.

PD may have good evidence to say for a fact that “these people” are believe not to be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1