ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The house seemed to be well maintained by the property management team. Aside from lack of secured fencing around the house and a security system, this seems like an ideal house for 5 or 6 roommates...nicely spread out bedrooms between floors and 3 full baths. Students seemed to often come and go from house and many neighbors were also students. Seems like a respectful, clean neighborhood, so this had to have been someone who felt comfortable cleaning themselves up after commiting horrific killings. Was there a knife already at the house...maybe in "Home Owners locked closet or something that students knew about? Or did killer bring his/her knife to scene? Why did killer wait until all roommates home and at least one guest...a strong athletic boyfriend of one roommate? Like I would guess many roommates would go home during Thanksgiving break, so if this was a target on one roommate, I would think killer would wait until house occupied by a less students/roommates. Seems like killer rage was almost sudden or time crunched where it had to be done at time done. Did the killer feel betrayed by one or more of the victims the night of 11/12/22 and went into killing spree?

Sorry to be curious, but from this and another previous post you made about the lights and beer cans etc, I get the impression that you are near to the crime site? Please ignore if this is not relevant.

Let's say a house has video coverage of a street. They watch the video all the way through the morning of the murders. Nothing shows up whether somebody driving by or walking or running. LE can reasonably conclude that the suspect did not use that path to not only come to the murder site but also leave from the murder site. It helps eliminate ingress/egress routes.

It could also be a photo of say a party. Photo is time stamped. Somebody who says they were at such and such a place at a given time could be refuted based off a photo. Maybe they say they were asleep in their room. A photo shows a gathering/party where he lives and the coat that he religiously puts on the chair in the dining room isn't there. Well, that's suspicious.
THIS. I firmly believe that is LE’s goal by asking for those videos. They’re trying to hone in on the most likely ingress/egress route via the process of elimination. A painstakingly slow process for sure, but they’ve got the manpower right now to get it done.

"There is definitely progress being made," Snell said. "It’s not progress we’re able to update the public on but, as we receive more evidence and more videos, we’re able to put together a clearer picture of what occurred and that definitely is progress."
Do you guys think the case is now truly heating up or are they giving everyone false hope?

somewhat far out theory that is probably not true but just throwing it out there: i'd be interested in looking at whether someone had beef with JD, not necessarily any of the victims. Look at how much speculation is surrounding him even after police have cleared him. Plus, it's not unheard of sadly for someone to "punish" or "get back" at a person they are angry with by killing one of their loved ones. Although they were broken up, sounds like KG and JD still cared for one another and were on good terms.

MOO to the nth degree!

I will bet this was not a spur of the moment fit of anger on the part of the killer. For whatever reasons he had, they had been festering for quite some time. Rage blinded him to the incredible risk he took, and unfortunately, he was lucky not to get caught. Fingers crossed and prayers that he brags to someone and is caught soon!

It's been my feeling that a female suspect is likely, due to the dynamics of the all female household and no sexual assaults-- but, I think it could also be an (older) man avenging on behalf of a female peer of the college students. A father figure "for" his daughter for instance (not necessarily with daughter's knowledge or approval, but who may realize it now), attempting to even some score.

I try not to get tunnel vision on my hunches, but I'm still not satisfied that the root of this group being targeted wasn't someone who may have vied for K's spot in the house and was badly (hurtfully, in their eyes) turned down/spurned. The main targets then being X and M, the primary decision-makers on the subject, located on separate floors of the house.

Per information here at WS: Xana held the lease, had the house for a couple of years. Xana and Maddie had a longstanding work relationship at the Mad Greek and probably had a large community of acquaintances from there.

The catalyst being someone in their orbit, yes, in their age group, yes, but perhaps not exactly a social peer for one reason or another. The suspect, maybe not so much.

I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone else, but I'd love some feedback. I'm certainly not tied-down to the idea, but I just don't get full on male energy from this crime. No sexual component in a house full of beautiful young women seems off.

jmo
moo
mo

911 caller reports 'suspicious man' removing tip line posters​

A 911 caller in Moscow told police that they had seen a "suspicious" man walking around removing posters with information about a tip line last Tuesday.
It's not clear exactly what tip line that was, but there is a good chance it was the Moscow Police Department's tip line at 208-883-7180, which has been advertised in connection with this month's murders.

This article makes me wonder if the killer or killers had a larger motive than just killing the 4 kids.

Such as? Sending a message to someone else? Fulfilling perceived ordained command?
What occurs ro you?

Do you or does anyone have one of the first photos taken of the folks who had been in the house sitting on the curb wrapped in emergency blankets right after the police arrived?
I don’t have the pic & haven’t been able to publicly find it. I did personally see it: several young women wrapped in emergency blankets, at least two were hugging. IIRC, it was taken from an angle so no clear faces, or maybe they were looking down?

I will bet this was not a spur of the moment fit of anger on the part of the killer. For whatever reasons he had, they had been festering for quite some time. Rage blinded him to the incredible risk he took, and unfortunately, he was lucky not to get caught. Fingers crossed and prayers that he brags to someone and is caught soon!

Just my speculation, but I agree. I think this was done in cold blood, planned for whatever motive and on an occasion when perhaps there was a lot of movement in the house, maybe housemates went to bed before everyone had left?

Do we know what the victims were wearing? in pyjamas or still party clothes?

A
If a ring camera caught M&K returning home at 1:56 Sunday morning, did it also catch the other 4 when they returned home?
Where is the camera located and what area did it cover?
Did it catch other friends coming and going earlier in the evening?
Did it catch someone going in but not leaving?
If LE could see some of the comings and goings at that house on Saturday evening, but did not see anyone that they believe to be the killer, it stands to reason that he came and went by the area of the house not captured by the camera.
Wouldn’t that at least set them on the direction of his escape route?
And the possibility that the Perp knew the location of the Ring Camera!!

This strikes me as a killing by a local resident who felt rage towards the "advantaged" young adults who had a chance at college. Chose late Sat. night/early Sunday morning thinking they would be easier prey due to Sat. night alcohol effects. JMO.

Yes there is a window in the landing. I outlined it on exterior view, floor plan and an interior picture. Hope that helps, I think I missed the discussion about this window but I’ll look back for it.
Thanks for this! I do now see an access to the attic or crawlspace. It doesn’t have a rope to drop down stairs so would need a ladder or high stool to access. Now as a hiding place it doesn’t seem feasible.

Thought it would be interesting to see how many different "profiles" the paid professionals are coming up with. Keep in mind they DO NOT have the data LE has. They are working with the same info we have but have their knowledge and experience.

1. Incel theory - Carole Lieberman (Forensic Psychiatrist)
Forensic psychiatrist Carole Lieberman said she is confident the slayings were not a random attack or the work of a serial killer. The "multiple stabbings and bloody mess are signs that it was personal and that the killer was enraged," Lieberman told Newsweek.
  • Personal
  • Enraged
  • Not random or serial
  • Felt rejected or would be suitor
2. Young & knew at least one victim - Jim Clemente (Former FBI profiler)
The murderer who ruthlessly slaughtered four University of Idaho students is likely a “younger” man and a first-time killer, famed former FBI profiler Jim Clemente said.

Clemente, a criminal behavioral expert and former New York State prosecutor, believes the person who killed Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Ethan Chapin, 20, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Madison Mogen, 21 on Nov. 13 likely knew at least one of the victims.
  • Young
  • Comfortable with blood
  • First-time killer
  • Lives in the area
  • Doesn't mind "wet work" and profession will say the same
And here: Idaho college killer likely a stalker or knew students, ex-FBI profiler says he says this:
  • Stalker
  • Not Sophisticated criminally or forensically
3. Potential Serial Killer -Dr. Casey Jordan (criminologist, behavior analyst, attorney)
You could have somebody who is a potential serial killer who has been thinking about doing this for a very long time,” he tells Inside Edition. “If the fantasy was fulfilled, then the fantasy will bloom even larger and very often, we will find a perp who feels compelled to do it again.”

But Jordan says another, and perhaps stronger, possibility is that the victims were acquaintances with their killer.
  • Potential Serial Killer
  • Acquaintances w/ killer
  • From the community
  • In the house before
4. Instrumental Violence-Mary Ellen O'Toole (Retired agent and profiler FBI)
Paraphrasing interview: Targeted has meaning. Equal targets or not?
  • Not evidence conscious
  • Likely cut themselves and left DNA evidence
  • Likely been in the home prior
  • Prior experience being in other people's homes
  • Had to be a sturdy knife
  • Up close and personal
  • Sloppy crime scene but efficient with knife means experienced
  • Doubtful the knife was tossed
  • The knife has been used before but not necessarily in a murder
  • Instrumental not reactive violence
  • cold-blooded, predatory, callous violence perpetrated frequently on strangers
  • Psychopathic individuals lacking empathy and guilt commit high-risk crimes b/c they enjoy the crime
  • Believes there is a threat to the community
  • High risk for reoffending
5. Young male -Jonathan Gilliam (Former FBI Special Agent)
  • Young male
  • One, not two killers
  • Could get in and out w/ out being seen
  • Entered the second floor
  • Not the first time this person did this
  • Adrenaline filled incident
  • Odd or manacing behavior toward people close to him
  • Typically a killing like this is not the first kill unless in the family environment (which this is not)
  • Sees this as an escalation
  • 3-hour travel distance this person probably lives
6. Copycat killer - Bill Warner - (Private Detective)
Bill Warner, a private detective from Sarasota, Florida, called the murderer a "copy cat serial killer" after tracing down the same killing spree pattern as the infamous Ted Bundy murders.

"Current trail of unsolved murders in Washington, Oregon, and Moscow Idaho mimics trail of murders committed by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's," he said.

Bundy "appears to have started his murder spree in Feb 1974 in Washington, then May 1974 in Oregon and then May 1975 in Idaho and then many, many more, he was just getting started," Warner explained.

He added: "No coincidence when the same exact geographic path used by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's mimicked by current copy cat serial killer murders in Washington, Oregon and the case in Moscow Idaho, three for three."
Early 30's
  • Above Avg. height
  • Fighting Skills
  • Powerful build
  • Martial arts training
7. Targeted & In their orbit-Bill Daly (Former FBI Investigator)
A former FBI investigator said he believes that the Idaho quadruple murders were a targeted attack and that someone in the slain college students' 'orbit' caused it to happen.

• Two unharmed people
  • Would have to know the home
  • Not mass murderer rampage b/c others downstairs unharmed
  • Think LE have more than we are aware
  • DNA & Fingerprints are only good if they have something to compare to right now, but great later
8. In their Circle - Nancy Grace
  • Someone in their circle
  • No connection w/ person that called it in
9. Someone knew the house-Brad Garrett (Former FBI)
"It tells me that someone came into the house with a comfort level -- that they probably knew their way around the house," Garrett said.

Garrett said investigators should be broadening their search outside the victims' immediate circle of friends and family.

"You're going to have to start spreading out to people they had just a casual relationship with," he said.
  • Someone knew the house
10. Likely Female -Rodney Demery - (Former homicide detective-podcaster "murder chose me")
ormer homicide detective Rodney Demery believes it's "very likely" a woman is behind the murder of four college students in Idaho. "I think it was someone that had a rage, a certain passion, to create such violence," Demery says.
  • 7% female mass murderers
  • Passion
  • Rage
  • Same-sex relationship
11. Not Serial Killer - Mark Furhman -(Former LAPD Detective & lives in Idaho)
  • Not a serial killer
  • Targeted crime
  • Killer sought out and knows one or more of the victims
  • Knife is a weapon of rage
  • Should be able to find the order of killings, height, footprint, right or left-handed from blood spatter analysis
  • Should be able to get blood type even if DNA is not in the system
Brilliant…..totally Brilliant research Digdeeperstill..Thank You!

Just to give you a bit of perspective, I have highlighted the route from Moscow to Lewiston. I concentrated in that direction because this seems to be an area that LE is looking at.
Any locals on here familiar with this route?
How many vehicles might pass this way in the wee hours of the morning?
Are there cameras on the Memorial Bridge?
The Traffic Cams Idaho site gives locations of traffic cameras pinned to a map. The 511 Idaho site opens to a road map with camera symbols on it, and those symbols are click buttons to actual cameras.

Last edited:
The f
Excellent post.

I don't think any profiler can make an accurate analysis without having the same level of knowledge that the profilers working on the case have. Even with their advanced training, they're making guesses just like us, except they get paid to do it on TV.

I consider all their opinions with an open mind, but I don't think any of them has offered any real new insight.

MOO
A female perp was a new idea to me, Jeeze she would have to be an incredible athlete to have the stamina to stab 4 people…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpacerCat