ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We really don't have a great source on the whole "sloppy" thing. I think the fact that they have only collected 113 pieces of physical evidence from inside and outside of those rooms, as well as inside and outside of the house, suggests the killer may have been less than sloppy.

I don't know the correlation between number of evidence pieces to success in solving crimes, but I definitely agree with you that the killer might not have been sloppy. LE could've said it to get a reaction from the killer(s).

I've been busy this entire week and haven't been able to keep up with everything that's going on. It seems like there are new updates every day so I've been struggling to put together a comprehensive timeline of details. Does anybody have a YouTube video that covers the case extensively—preferably one that isn't watered down? I don't follow a lot of popular true crime channels, so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to what's considered good + reliable and what's not. Can somebody give me a helping hand?? Thanks in advance everybody :)
I like to have a quick look at the Media thread, looking at the most recent first. There's also a really fabulous timeline in there, updated when we have actual news.

Or, they are trying to trace the enter/exit route of a suspect. If they have a vehicle or person in mind, seeing where they *didn't* go would help narrow down where they *did* go. Even if they don't have a suspect/vehicle, the footage could help them see who went in what direction and highlight persons/cars they might want to investigate (if that makes sense). That is how I understood the statement, and is MOO, it could mean a handful of things.
That’s how I understood it as well.

I make that drive several times a year but honestly have never seen a camera, but I’ve never looked, either.

The drive can be a real PITA in bad weather, which ~wasn’t~ the case at the time if the murders.

IME, there hasn’t been a lot of traffic in wee hours - some big rigs, some cars, but not steady traffic until 5-7 AM when folks are heading to/from work.

We have had some impressive scheduled transports originating at the Lewiston Port through Moscow to Canada of massive wind blades - people showed to watch in person & via traffic cams (my limited understanding is the traffic cams don’t record, but I could be wrong). I’ve lost track of the schedule, but they passed through Moscow around 9-11 PM, so much earlier than your window. I don’t know how much that impacted traffic backup, but I think those delays would be south to north rather than vice versa. Moo
Thank you. And my guess is the light wee hour traffic would be even lighter on a Sunday morning.
I’ve passed rigs carrying those wind blades on the interstate. They are massive and a sight to see. It took a moment before I realized what it was.

I don't know the correlation between number of evidence pieces to success in solving crimes, but I definitely agree with you that the killer might not have been sloppy. LE could've said it to get a reaction from the killer(s).
True! I also thought it might have been the most terrifying crime scene they'd ever seen due to working in a low-crime area.

• In an interview with DailyMail.com, Idaho State Police spokesman Aaron Snell, 49, said it is possible all four victims could have been targeted

The Moscow police daily blotter stopped posting daily activities on the 23rd wonder if there’s been some development they don’t want made public.
Hate to jump in not being caught up, but I explained in a previous thread how publication of the MPD DALs publish. They were updated this morning as usual. HTH!

Source: local who has received them via email for years.

I'm curious as to why LE is looking for digital recordings, etc from the hours 3am to 6am only. If it's their estimated "leaving-the-scene" time frame does that mean they have the arrival time nailed down? Seems to me to view earlier time footage and look for a vehicle/person appearing in both time frames would be more productive.
Moo, LE may have seen someone going into the direction where the murdered occurred at specific time but didn’t see anyone coming out? They may have conducted a phone search of someone already and this person may have shown his phone picking up signals on a cell tower, looks like to the south from the house. Too detailed and specific- time and 4 locations.

Just to give you a bit of perspective, I have highlighted the route from Moscow to Lewiston. I concentrated in that direction because this seems to be an area that LE is looking at.
Any locals on here familiar with this route?
How many vehicles might pass this way in the wee hours of the morning?
Are there cameras on the Memorial Bridge?

According to Wikipedia, it goes over part of a lake. Perhaps killer threw evidence out the window off the bridge into forest or water while driving away on that route.

JMO

I suspect whomever done this was known to the roommates. Even invited him over before. That's why LE can’t list him as a suspect through DNA. They have his DNA at the scene. Not blood but an other source. That’s why they can’t go off the DNA evidence alone to prove he is the killer. All the suspect has to say is “Of course my DNA was at the house! They were my friends. They had me over before!”. He would unfortunately be correct. I imagine it would be incredibly difficult to get a conviction off his DNA being there because of that.
Clever observation! Maybe that's why they call this case complex.

I really hope they can find killers DNA mixed with blood of victims to place him there during the actual murder. However I think it was OJ had this evidence but he still got off!

If so, not locally. Maybe elsewhere? Also, I’ve not seen any local missing reports that could apply, but anything is possible.

My personal theory, today anyway, is he’s a non-local thrill killer & this was unlikely to be his first major crime. Hoping his DNA is in the system!
JMO but I don’t think the killer committed suicide. If he killed one person, he might feel remorse and guilt, but 4? I think he liked it. He liked it so much he was frenzied and brutal…overkill. As for motive? Bat sh-t crazy. Might have heard voices; might have been passing judgment and judged them unworthy. Might have been challenging himself to see if he could be a special forces member. Might be a gang initiation. Might have thought they were part of an alien invasion. Might have issues and stopped taking his meds. Might have been revenge for something that happened to a loved one. Might have been a religious fanatic looking to prove his faith. Might have just been evicted and lost his job and flunked out of school. Might have been rescuing them from a brutal world… MOO? Bat-sh-t crazy. No sane reason. Profile might be interesting after an arrest but no two profilers have the same theory. LE will have to follow the evidence and pray it gives them a direction to look. MOO

If a ring camera caught M&K returning home at 1:56 Sunday morning, did it also catch the other 4 when they returned home?
Where is the camera located and what area did it cover?
Did it catch other friends coming and going earlier in the evening?
Did it catch someone going in but not leaving?
If LE could see some of the comings and goings at that house on Saturday evening, but did not see anyone that they believe to be the killer, it stands to reason that he came and went by the area of the house not captured by the camera.
Wouldn’t that at least set them on the direction of his escape route?

I believe the profile is a male student with a hunter's license. The male student population at The University of Idaho is 5,670. I've been unsuccessful in obtaining how many male students have hunting licenses in Moscow, but I'm assuming this is a very narrow pool.
IMHO, you would also need to look at the population of male students at the private college in Moscow as well as at WSU, if you think the quadruple murderer is a student since they all mingle to some extent. Moo.

JMO but I don’t think the killer committed suicide. If he killed one person, he might feel remorse and guilt, but 4? I think he liked it. He liked it so much he was frenzied and brutal…overkill. As for motive? Bat sh-t crazy. Might have heard voices; might have been passing judgment and judged them unworthy. Might have been challenging himself to see if he could be a special forces member. Might be a gang initiation. Might have thought they were part of an alien invasion. Might have issues and stopped taking his meds. Might have been revenge for something that happened to a loved one. Might have been a religious fanatic looking to prove his faith. Might have just been evicted and lost his job and flunked out of school. Might have been rescuing them from a brutal world… MOO? Bat-sh-t crazy. No sane reason. Profile might be interesting after an arrest but no two profilers have the same theory. LE will have to follow the evidence and pray it gives them a direction to look. MOO
Do you also think they can have similar motivations to Alek Minassian, Eliot Rogers, Tres Genco, David Kaufman or Scott Beierle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulani03