ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I wish everyone would provide sources. I suspect that is an unfortunate wording from Brian.
Or maybe it's me misunderstanding what people mean when they say the house was targeted?

maybe it was Brian's interpretation but if it wasn't and that is what the PA said, it could have other impacts. It can't be reassuring to wider Idaho student community or their parents. you can already see that reaction in the twitter replies, above .

which house will be targeted next? ( implies that the identity of these murdered students was irrelevant to the perp, that he had no particular interest in these four, could be any student house in the future. As if random choice for a psycho )
If you were an Idaho University parent - that would have to be alarming

( plus LE experts were already commenting that many students leaving campus for holidays and from fear, many studying remotely isn't good for a speedy investigation)

Might be better if just one person handled media inquiries. Calmer, fewer contradictions? One voice

Based on this video, put me down for another "bet the farm" claim. The way he phrased this and with other details we have, I feel almost certain that the call was for an unresponsive female (and it sounds like on 2nd floor) in addition to the two victims there and two victims on third floor. If it wasn't a survivor then he sure did a damn fine job of complicating how to state that. He was trying not to give away too much, but IMO in the process, he did.

I'm assuming she saw something, and possibly fainted. Could've even hit her head on the floor when she went down, making her "unresponsive" when other surviving roommate and/or friends who had been called over reached her.

Here's how I envision it:

911 operator: "what's your emergency"
Caller: "my friend/roommate fell and won't get up"
911 operator: "are they breathing?" "Is their chest rising?"
Caller: "yes"
911 operator: "can they hear you?"
Caller: "no"
911 operator: "do they respond when you touch them?"
911 operator: "so they're unresponsive?"

Seems as simple as that. We don't know precisely where they were located, but my inclination is 2nd floor based on the statement in the video. All of this technical debate regarding unresponsive is unnecessary. Person was not responding. Period. It's not a complicated word.

And as far as speculation that the killer was one of the people in the house that night? I'd pretty much guarantee that was a fact. lol
I too understood it that and interrupted it that way!!! I don’t think the unconscious female was any of our victims !

Medical field and EMS dispatch lingo are two different things.

I assume most fainted people are responsive to touch? They may not come to, put if you touch them, they will usually have a physical reaction, such as moving a limb? (Sorry, I have not been around fainting people).

I've been around a few people on vents and yes, they aren't responsive to this or that...I'm sure when I had surgery, my responsiveness was documented in the notes. But it's a different setting....
No, the patient becomes completely unresponsive upon fainting. Fainting is caused by a sudden blood loss to the brain. Until the blood flow returns to the brain at a normal level, the person will be unresponsive and completely limp. Usually this lasts only a few minutes, however.

In the interview with the dad, he says that the surviving roommates texted and called the deceased roommates and they were “unresponsive.” I think it’s a possibility that the killer locked the doorknob from the inside and closed it. This may be why the girls called friends first… not wanting to get anyone in trouble. Maybe wanting some help opening the door? Idk what kind of locks are on the bedroom doors, but maybe since it’s a multi person unit, maybe there’s the kind of doorknobs that can’t be easily opened with the tool, like if your kid locked themselves inside? This led to them thinking someone has passed out from drinking and needed medical attention? I think there wasn’t much blood/disarray in the living area of the house or the girls would have immediately panicked and the 911 call would have been for a completely different reason. Locking the doors gave the killer more time to get away, clean up, etc.

All just my opinion and speculation, of course

From the Zillow listing....locks look like standard butterfly lock interior door knobs.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 6.11.02 PM.png

It seems like the killer entered through the 2nd floor sliding door by the kitchen. They may not have even realized there was anyone downstairs. It might be a local who was just fed up with what he perceived as "spoiled rich college kids". He might have seen and even been rebuffed by one of the girls that night. I know there are many college towns with this tension between the locals and the students. It's unfortunate.

Based on this video, put me down for another "bet the farm" claim. The way he phrased this and with other details we have, I feel almost certain that the call was for an unresponsive female (and it sounds like on 2nd floor) in addition to the two victims there and two victims on third floor. If it wasn't a survivor then he sure did a damn fine job of complicating how to state that. He was trying not to give away too much, but IMO in the process, he did.

I'm assuming she saw something, and possibly fainted. Could've even hit her head on the floor when she went down, making her "unresponsive" when other surviving roommate and/or friends who had been called over reached her.

Seems as simple as that. We don't know precisely where they were located, but my inclination is 2nd floor based on the statement in the video. All of this technical debate regarding unresponsive is unnecessary. Person was not responding. Period. It's not a complicated word.

And as far as speculation that the killer was one of the people in the house that night? I'd pretty much guarantee that was a fact. lol

Except the surviving roommates summoned their friends over before calling 911. Why would one surviving roommate do that if the other fainted and hit her head? Doesn't make sense to me. JMO

i just don't think that LE would word it like this if that's the case.
"On November 13th, the surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person."

In the interview with the dad, he says that the surviving roommates texted and called the deceased roommates and they were “unresponsive.” I think it’s a possibility that the killer locked the doorknob from the inside and closed it. This may be why the girls called friends first… not wanting to get anyone in trouble. Maybe wanting some help opening the door? Idk what kind of locks are on the bedroom doors, but maybe since it’s a multi person unit, maybe there’s the kind of doorknobs that can’t be easily opened with the tool, like if your kid locked themselves inside? This led to them thinking someone has passed out from drinking and needed medical attention? I think there wasn’t much blood/disarray in the living area of the house or the girls would have immediately panicked and the 911 call would have been for a completely different reason. Locking the doors gave the killer more time to get away, clean up, etc.

All just my opinion and speculation, of course
I agree. It seems the two surviving roommates were oblivious to the bloody scenes behind closed doors and got nervous when they couldn’t wake anyone up with calls and texts, and called others to the house to help. It’s hard to believe the killer would lock the doors behind him, but nothing else makes sense.

I don't think "targeting" the house means serial killer at all, many killers of all kinds, go to known locations for effect not really caring who happens to be there. Robbing a house in an affluent area and killing the occupants is targeting the location not the victims. We don't know if someone connected to the house in the past could have been the reason the house was chosen "targeted". Heck for all we know the killer was angered by the red jeep or wreath on the door, or because there were blondes or sorority members living there. Thus it was a targeted attack. Murder is rarely logical.

maybe it was Brian's interpretation but if it wasn't and that is what the PA said, it could have other impacts. It can't be reassuring to wider Idaho student community or their parents. you can already see that reaction in the twitter replies, above .

which house will be targeted next? ( implies that the identity of these murdered students was irrelevant to the perp, that he had no particular interest in these four, could be any student house in the future. As if random choice for a psycho )
If you were an Idaho University parent - that would have to be alarming

( plus LE experts were already commenting that many students leaving campus for holidays and from fear, many studying remotely isn't good for a speedy investigation)

Might be better if just one person handled media inquiries. Calmer, fewer contradictions? One voice
I’m very far behind & hate to jump in, but Bill Thompson is an ~excellent~ PA.

He’s the first PA to secure a “no body” homicide conviction in this state (Rachael Anderson).

For any interested in learning more about him, his qualifications, & his reputation:
Bill Thompson

I know speculation has been different here & elsewhere, but what Bill said is what we in the community have been feeling in our bones because we know the demeanors of our local cops. The heaviness is real.

EBM to add the name of the victim for those interested.

Last edited:
Thank you! I wish everyone would provide sources. I suspect that is an unfortunate wording from Brian.
Or maybe it's me misunderstanding what people mean when they say the house was targeted?
"You've heard them say that this was a targeted murder, I am told by the prosecutor that they don't have any evidence of which victim was specifically targeted, they just feel the house in general was targeted."

Seems pretty straight-forward to me.

At the 2:20 mark:

I have a couple of question, at least one of the parents has said that LE wasn't giving them much information. Is that normal for a case like this? If not what could be the reasoning for that?

I had a family member murdered and it would be extremely uncommon for LE to share details of an ongoing investigation.

At the very least, it may compromise an investigation and at the very worst, may cause an angry family member to take the law into their own hands.

Do we know exactly when this picture was taken? To be fair, if there were other locks they could have been installed after.

Negative. As far as I know, there are limited sets of interior house pics. The Zillow pics and older, pre rehab pics when the place looked much trashier.

Does anyone have an opinion about M&X both leaving their sorority? Is that common?
I think it is. When I was at UC Berk, as a junior, my 2 roomies moved in to our apartment from a sorority.

They were both juniors and were moving on from living at the Sorority house. They still hung out with some of their sisters from there, but they didnt take part in many of the meetings or activities anymore. They were close to graduation and kind of moving on from that life.

It didn't seem unusual because their friends that visited seemed to have done same thing.

I think we all may need a timeout. <modsnip> I don’t think this case will be solved soon, LE is not releasing anything. MOO but we may be at a dead end with the available info.

On the BRIGHT SIDE. I think it’s possible that LE has DNA from the perp with how quickly they’ve ruled some of these folks out and with everyone returning to school, that may give LE the chance to test and interview people who may have left for holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that crazy? The house was targeted but the victims were NOT? I just don't get this! Could this reporter have gotten this information mixed up? The prosecutor said nothing during the interview about the house being targeted. Is this reporter reliable!??
My guess is when Brian Entin, reporter, was told it was the house that was targeted, rather than one Individual, it meant the residents of that house as a group. JMHO …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper